Men's dress shirts - Charles Tyrwhitt shirts on sale for $29

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jane1

Men's dress shirts - Charles Tyrwhitt shirts on sale for $29

Post by jane1 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:29 pm

If you are looking for decent dress shirts, Charles Tyrwhitt has a very good shirt sale (with good color selection) for $29. Shipping for $10-15 based on order size.
http://www.ctshirts.com/default.aspx?q=travis|||||||||||||||
Last edited by jane1 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kjvmartin

Re: Charles Tyrwhitt shirts on sale for $29

Post by kjvmartin » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:40 pm

Interesting and I'm always tempted by a good sale. I've been in the market for some good slim fit white dress shirts to replace my aging Kirkland ones. My local Costco (all 3 of them) stopped carrying slim fit. Those were $17.99 a piece and they're good, thick quality material.

How do these hold up? I strongly dislike the kind where you can see through the material in the sunlight. Anyone else have any experience with these?

Mike

209south

Post by 209south » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:43 pm

In my experience they are excellent dress shirts, but I found them cuffs very tight and the collars tighter than the measurement - EZ to deal with the collar by buying 1/2 size up, but I could never get the cuffs to work.

Compound

Post by Compound » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:48 pm

kjvmike wrote:Interesting and I'm always tempted by a good sale. I've been in the market for some good slim fit white dress shirts to replace my aging Kirkland ones. My local Costco (all 3 of them) stopped carrying slim fit. Those were $17.99 a piece and they're good, thick quality material.

How do these hold up? I strongly dislike the kind where you can see through the material in the sunlight. Anyone else have any experience with these?

Mike
I've had nothing but positive experiences with shirts from CT. They are reasonably thick and comfortable and they come in slim fit wrinkle free, which is a big plus for me.

Thanks for the notification about the sale -- I'm off to buy some shirts!

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:54 pm

Any particular selection of fabric really nice? Seem to be about six options of weave/fabric!

Mike

Frezio

Post by Frezio » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:22 pm

I buy my work shirts exclusively from CT and have only had an excellent experience (both with the product and the customer service).

One comment I'd make re: sizing, as I found their "slim fit" shirts far too baggy for me.

1) If your chest is bigger than your waist, go with Extra Slim Fit
2) If your chest is the same size as your waist, go with Slim Fit
3) If your waist is bigger than your chest, go with Classic Fit

dochand

Post by dochand » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:28 pm

And I thought I go to this website to keep me from spending money :wink: ... I told myself no more CT shirts until I see the $29 sale. Great shirts all around for a great price. My go to dress shirts, and now I have two more coming. Thanks, I guess...

P.S. As far as sizing, I am 5'10, 175 (with what I consider an athletic build), and the extra slim shirts fit perfectly.

jane1

Post by jane1 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:36 pm

dochand wrote:And I thought I go to this website to keep me from spending money :wink: ... I told myself no more CT shirts until I see the $29 sale. Great shirts all around for a great price.
Remember the ads
"the more you shop, the more you save" or is it "the more you spend, the more you save"
:confused

swaption

Re: Men's dress shirts - Charles Tyrwhitt shirts on sale for $29

Post by swaption » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:25 pm

They just had a 2 day thing over Memorial Day with multi-buy for $140, or $35 a shirt. Included much more and what I wanted. Bought these for years. I don't buy non-iron. Really like the Egyptian Cotton which are available in herringbone and puppytooth. Have several of each.

In terms of fit, agree that the collars are tight. Had to bump up to a 17" collar. Unfortunately, with a 34" sleeve I'm out of luck in the store, which is around the corner from my office. But that also bumped me down to an extra slim fit from slim fit since the overall dimensions changed. I think there was also mention of the tight cuffs. Agree 100%! But happy to report that they have fixed that. Also moved the collar buttons a bit, so more conducive to having 2 buttons undone. Overall, not complacent at all, continuing to improve their shirts. Just stocked up and very happy, and at a price a Boglehead can really appreciate.

yatesd

Post by yatesd » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:27 pm

I was very tempted by this but ultimately chose shirts from Jos A Banks.

I went through ebates for 8% cashback, and grabbed "Traveler" shirts in the clearance section for about $18 a piece (100% cotton, wrinkle free). I also grabbed a pretty decent sport coat for $89. Combining with free shipping and a $20 coupon is icing on the cake.
http://www.ebates.com/coupons/jos-a-ban ... n_id=22766

Tailored fit shirts work really well for me...just slightly thinner than regular.
Last edited by yatesd on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:29 pm

I'm going to give their shirts a try. I recently got several Brooks Brothers extra-slim fit shirts during their Holiday time sale, and while I really like the fit and material, the seams are splitting on the sleeves after not many wearings, and I don't believe I'm harsh on the shirts. In addition, I occasionally ruin a shirt with some hard to remove stain or whatnot, and it's too "painful" when such an expensive shirt needs to be put out to pasture.

NS
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes".

poker27

Post by poker27 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks for the heads up

I have been buying CT shirts for almost a year, and have maybe 10-12 shirts. I laundered some a while back for the first time, and took all precUtions. The shirt ripped by the cuff, so that really ticked me off. I did email CT, and since they have a 6 month warranty, they sent me a new shirt for free. I will be buying a few more during this sale.

FYI I'm a large guy (5 9, 220) and slim fit still fits well.

Compound

Post by Compound » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:46 pm

kjvmike wrote:Any particular selection of fabric really nice? Seem to be about six options of weave/fabric!

Mike
I've generally gone with the twill non-iron (usually solid blue or white for work), but I've also owned some others. Haven't been disappointed with any.

Detroittl

Post by Detroittl » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:22 am

I've bought some and they are ok. Subpar quality compared to most vendors at Nordstrom and saks etc. even with a measured fit they run small though. Great customer service.

mudfud

Post by mudfud » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:16 am

Thanks for deal!

Over the last 3 years I've migrated from exclusively wearing Brooks Brothers to 100% Charles Tyrwhitt. IMHO, far better than BB. I usually get the non-iron white dress shirts in twill or herringbone weave.

Just as a note, they have slimmmed down their cuts, so watch out for that.

Mud
"Are you sure you have tested an a priori hypothesis?" | | Image

JoinToday

Post by JoinToday » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:45 am

Anyone buy their Polo shirts? Are they of good quality, & fit?

I have been buying either Costco or Lands End polo shirts, need to replenish the supply.

5' 10", 170 lbs - 175 lbs. I typically buy large, want a little room to move around. The posting above make me think I should buy slim or extra slim.

What about their ties? I like a nice small knot, full windsor, not some big bulky knot.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago

easye418

Post by easye418 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:40 am

CT makes excellent shirts for the price. I am wearing one from their last sale right now. Top notch stuff.

Does anyone know when they typically come out with new designs? I pretty much have all of their shirt designs.

bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:53 am

I've picked a few shirts but they don't have my size. Too bad.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:32 pm

Thanks for the recommendation and the link. I'm put off that they want $5.95 extra for a pocket, a must have for me.

I'll stick with Costco at $18 or less online.

They do look like nice shirts!

simple man

Post by simple man » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:45 pm

All - these shirts are awesome. I finally got tired of Brooks Brothers; their quality is just not there anymore. These shirts are nice thick cloth (like the old days) and very well made. Service is great - have had to return some based on sizing. They have give you brass collar stays. Not sure about what others experienced on sizing. I was slim or extra slim in Brooks and have had to go with regular fit with CT. I think it must relate to proportions, including neck and arm length...just hard to tell. I was happy at $60, so 29 is sure to be short-lived.

Mandrale

Post by Mandrale » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:51 pm

Can anyone give some recommendations or opinions on which style has worked best for them?

Right now I'm trying to compare between the White Ottoman and White Regency Weave, etc...

If anyone could provide some insight into what has worked best for them that would be fantastic!

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:19 pm

Mandrale wrote:Can anyone give some recommendations or opinions on which style has worked best for them?

Right now I'm trying to compare between the White Ottoman and White Regency Weave, etc...

If anyone could provide some insight into what has worked best for them that would be fantastic!
I called them and asked for recommendations. Very helpful. I mostly wear suits and they recommended the non iron twill to maintain crispness throughout the day. Medium weight. The poplin is very light, for outdoors/summer. It's more of a see through material. I ordered two of the non iron twill white shirts.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:33 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (shirts).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:23 pm

I received my order and am quite pleased with it. My two white dress shirts were in need of replacing, now I might replace my blues and order another white!

Mike

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:59 pm

Nice shirts - I'm wearing an altered CT shirt right now. I was originally tempted, but when doing all the math it doesn't make too much sense for me. 2 shirts + shipping + $15 alterations per shirt = $100 = $50 each. Alterations are necessary to look decent; there is no such thing as an off-the-rack shirt that fits me due to my chest-waist drop. Slightly better price than the MTM shirts I order from Luxire ($60 each), but the Luxire shirts fit and look better. I've just decided to swallow the pill and purchase what looks best on me.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

michaelsieg

Post by michaelsieg » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:06 pm

Thanks for posting.
I didn't know my exact collar size when I was at work, and had to come home first to check my size. I really liked the shirts and the sale was still on earlier today.

Now I know my size, but the sale is over....missed it....it really seems that this was a good deal - do they have this sale every year?

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:54 am

I had 3 sale shirts in my cart and suddenly got logged off of my web account yesterday. I immediately logged back on to discover my cart was 3x the price. I contacted them and they said tough luck (politely). The offer had expired mid-day! I too wonder if this sale will ever return?

surveyor

Post by surveyor » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:09 am

They run this sale several times a year. Sign up for an account on their website and two things will happen. First, you'll get emails informing you of sales such as this one. Second, they'll periodically send you a $20 voucher. It can't be used with offers and sales like this but it will soften the shipping charge. They also frequently have $29 shirts in their clearance section.

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:12 pm

surveyor wrote:They run this sale several times a year. Sign up for an account on their website and two things will happen. First, you'll get emails informing you of sales such as this one. Second, they'll periodically send you a $20 voucher. It can't be used with offers and sales like this but it will soften the shipping charge. They also frequently have $29 shirts in their clearance section.
Yes, there are still a bunch of $29 shirts for sale, and it seems there is free shipping with a $75 purchase (not sure if this is a targeted offer for new customers like me). I've wore my first ever CT shirts last week (3 of them), and I'm a fan for those shirts at those prices. We'll see how they hold up. The basic white cotton shirts were a little thin for my tastes (although I'm sure they have thicker versions), but the textured shirts I got were thicker materials without appearing "wintery" but prevented my undershirt from showing through (which is a look my wife does not like) :D
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes".

bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:22 am

Looking for some advice from CT-shirt fans around here.

I recently bought a few shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt (15'' collar by 35'' sleeve, extra slim fit) and the fit just isn't write. Though the collar size and sleeve length are perfect, the shirts are way too tight in the chest and shoulder - to the point where it is very difficult to button them. This is surprising to me for an extra slim fit shirt because the fit around the waist is quite good. While I lift weights, it's not like I have a massive chest/shoulders - I've never had this problem before with shirts. Maybe it's just a CT thing.

I'm disappointed because these are very high quality shirts and I'd love to keep them. I'm wondering if folks here have advice on if I should try to exchange for a higher collar size or something like that or just let it go and return them.

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:36 am

bertie wooster wrote:Looking for some advice from CT-shirt fans around here.

I recently bought a few shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt (15'' collar by 35'' sleeve, extra slim fit) and the fit just isn't write. Though the collar size and sleeve length are perfect, the shirts are way too tight in the chest and shoulder - to the point where it is very difficult to button them.
I recently bought some for the first time as well, and I have a similar issue, just a little too tight in the chest, while the rest of the fit is great. I cannot attribute this to the giant size of my pecs and traps...my upper body musculature is middling. :D The shirts are acceptable for me (wife says too tight!), but with any sort of movement of the arms they do get very tight and "wrinkle" horizontally across the chest where the fabric pulls.

This problem is mentioned by others in this thread. My CT "slim fit" is tighter than my brooks brothers "extra-slim fit".

I wonder if merely not selecting the slim fit is the answer, in that all of their sizes are slimmer than other brands. Maybe the definition of "slim" is different across the pond. :D

easye418

Post by easye418 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:47 am

neurosphere wrote:
bertie wooster wrote:Looking for some advice from CT-shirt fans around here.

I recently bought a few shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt (15'' collar by 35'' sleeve, extra slim fit) and the fit just isn't write. Though the collar size and sleeve length are perfect, the shirts are way too tight in the chest and shoulder - to the point where it is very difficult to button them.
I recently bought some for the first time as well, and I have a similar issue, just a little too tight in the chest, while the rest of the fit is great. I cannot attribute this to the giant size of my pecs and traps...my upper body musculature is middling. :D The shirts are acceptable for me (wife says too tight!), but with any sort of movement of the arms they do get very tight and "wrinkle" horizontally across the chest where the fabric pulls.

This problem is mentioned by others in this thread. My CT "slim fit" is tighter than my brooks brothers "extra-slim fit".

I wonder if merely not selecting the slim fit is the answer, in that all of their sizes are slimmer than other brands. Maybe the definition of "slim" is different across the pond. :D
6'0", 180lb, I bumped my collar up to 16" from 15.5" and 35" sleeve. Slim Fit.

Shirt is ALMOST perfect. Just a little baggy on sleeves and waist. I will probably go back down to a 15.5 or 15 to reduce the waist.

No pocket here.... I see no use for them.

Highly recommend the shirts. I have about 15 I rotate through for work. I have been using 2 of each style/color on this last batch. Shirts hold up much better it seems.

bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:58 am

Thanks both of you for responding!

I'll go ahead and return these and wait for the next sale and go for the slim fit. Bummer - like I said these are really high quality shirts so unfortunate the fit didn't work out.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:17 pm

Thats interesting. I usually have issues with fit around my chest, with buttons spreading, but my gut is fine. With CT I do not have these issues at all, if anything it is slimmer around my stomach than chest. However, I do order slimfit since I'm not very slim :)

Detroittl

Post by Detroittl » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:27 pm

I've found they run smaller and aren't as high of quality as most name brand shirts.

However the customer service is great and you'll be wearing something unique and new.