French Presses: Glass Carafes vs. Stainless Steel Presses

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

French Presses: Glass Carafes vs. Stainless Steel Presses

Post by General Disarray » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:12 pm

The glass carafe from my Bodum 12 cup french press cracked after I put boiling water into the glass. I figured this might eventually happen. It got a good 5 years of use. While I was very happy with the Bodum, the glass seems so fragile and I have no doubt it will crack again.

I went and got an Aeropress to replace the Bodum. Quite a bit of strength is needed to press down, and, more importantly, the output is less than 1/2 a cup even if I pour to the "4" level. I need something that has a greater output of coffee and prefer a 12-cup press.

I'm thinking about trying a stainless steel french press. Maybe this one: Grunwerg double wall 12 cup french press.

http://www.amazon.com/Grunwerg-Insulate ... ouble+wall

Have any of you used this product before? If so, what is your verdict?

And regardless of brand, is there a noticeable difference in the coffee taste between that made in a glass carafe french press vs. the stainless steel french press?

fidobogo

Re: French Presses: Glass Carafes vs. Stainless Steel Presses

Post by fidobogo » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:36 pm

General Disarray wrote:I went and got an Aeropress to replace the Bodum. Quite a bit of strength is needed to press down, and, more importantly, the output is less than 1/2 a cup even if I pour to the "4" level. I need something that has a greater output of coffee and prefer a 12-cup press.
The AeroPress can be hard to press if you do it with your palm like the photo on the box. You might find it easier to put your forearm across the top instead of your palm. For extra force, put your other forearm over top the first, or lean forward, or bend your knees, or a combination.

Regarding the amount of water, my measuring cup says I put slightly over 1 cup through it at a time. I pour in most of the water, stir, and then pour in the remainder.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:56 pm

Five years??? That is much better than I have ever fared and I finally went for one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Highwin-35-Ounce- ... ffee+press

$36 and you will never break this thing. I have compared this made in China version with the nearly double in price German item, no discernible difference in quality. The Chinese output many good stainless products and this is one of them, in my experience. It comes with a spare filter screen.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:06 pm

You're using the aeropress incorrectly. You're only supposed to put water up to the "2". If you need additional coffee you pour hot water into your cup to the desired amount.

re french presses: I have a Grosche Madrid that is superb. It is glass but is thicker than most others I've seen. The glass beaker is also replaceable for a very reasonable price $11.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MG ... detailpage

I'm slightly miffed b/c I paid $50 for it and now it's $35...

Riceman

Post by Riceman » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:17 pm

Neither absorbs smells or flavors. Insulated probably helps slightly with flavor as it keeps the temperature more consistent. Appearance, construction, ease of cleaning will vary by model. The big advantage of stainless steel is there's no chance it will shatter when you're cleaning it. The downside is that the presentation suffers.

I use a stainless steel insulated press as my main french press. I have a glass one that I used as a backup.

arjking

Post by arjking » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:00 pm

Get the steel one. The glass will break within a few months if you use it daily.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:31 pm

arjking wrote:Get the steel one. The glass will break within a few months if you use it daily.

They last a lot longer if one doesn't use a metal spoon to stir with. Also, it's better to let water set for a bit before adding to the carafe ( makes better coffee and as a side benefit is less thermal stress on the glass ).

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:40 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-NCI1000SS ... ffee+press

This one is insulated and last forever.. It may not be big enough for you...

KlangFool

veggivet

Post by veggivet » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:51 pm

I love my Bodum. I've only had to replace the glass unit once in the last 10 years or so. I think the glass holds the heat better than metal, and it looks much nicer, IMHO.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:37 pm

I use an old moka pot daily but have several french presses that were given to me.

The double-walled stainless ones make coffee just as well as the glass ones but they don't break and are insulated. On the other hand, you can't see what is going on in there. If you can live with that, get the stainless steel.

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:59 pm

I used a glass french press for many years, but eventually switched to a stainless steel model, this one to be exact (48 ounce size):

http://planetarydesign.com/products/tab ... fee-maker/

Advantages: the coffee stays warm for longer, it is virtually unbreakable (cleaning up after dropping a glass pot is really no fun at all), and I can take it camping, which is why I originally bought it. Coffee tastes exactly the same as with a glass pot.

Disadvantages: can't see how much coffee is left, slightly heavier than glass.

The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages; I'll never go back to using a glass model. Indeed, since the steel pot is nearly indestructible, I'll probably use this exact pot for the rest of my life.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:26 pm

I was all set to order a stainless steel french press so as to avoid the all-too-frequent glass breakage problem at my house when I came upon an interesting review at Amazon (see link). According to this reviewer (not me or anyone I know) the stainless steel innards rub against the stainless steel walls when you press it down. This causes stainless steel dust shavings, probably too small to see, to be intermixed into your coffee, which you then drink! It's been claimed that ingesting fine particulate metals is not healthy for your body. I'm going to stay with glass.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revie ... 4E0QHISZ4I
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:12 am

Nicolas wrote:I was all set to order a stainless steel french press so as to avoid the all-too-frequent glass breakage problem at my house when I came upon an interesting review at Amazon (see link). According to this reviewer (not me or anyone I know) the stainless steel innards rub against the stainless steel walls when you press it down. This causes stainless steel dust shavings, probably too small to see, to be intermixed into your coffee, which you then drink! It's been claimed that ingesting fine particulate metals is not healthy for your body. I'm going to stay with glass.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revie ... 4E0QHISZ4I
Is ground glass better or worse than ground metal? :D I guess at least ground metal shows up on an x-ray...

deepvalleys

Post by deepvalleys » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:19 am

I prefer glass. The steel one in my experience gives an old smell after a while. Glass can be completely cleaned.
And glass looks better. But yes, my last glass carafe broke after one year.

mcblum

Post by mcblum » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:51 am

Drop a magnet in your coffee to see if you are picking up anything

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:01 am

A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

FabLab

Post by FabLab » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:25 am

We've been making our coffee via French Presses for many years. Started with glass carafes, but they had a habit of breaking. The one we use now I can heartily recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-1308-16-Col ... ench+press
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld