What do you do to relax just after returning from work

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tainted-meat

Re: What do you do to relax just after returning from work

Post by tainted-meat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:46 pm

kill a brew or two and listen to some npr or watch nightly news on pbs

walk or run a few miles

play some tennis

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:37 pm

Either cook or wrangle the toddler. If I get home a bit early we play or go to the park. Dinner then kids bedtime routine. We usually veg for an hour or so and then any extracurricular stuff like volunteer organization projects, studying for advancement from 9-1030. I fit a workout in at lunch or during commute by biking or walking from farther train station.

davebo

Post by davebo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:19 am

I have 3 little kids (6,4,4) so when I get home, I change into different clothes and usually eat dinner. Lately, a couple times a week, my son and I immediately head out to t-ball because I'm the coach. If we don't have a game, we'll usually play outside (when it's nice) or go to a park or something.

Either way, there is no relaxing until the kids are in bed. I've heard of people in my boat where the husbands can get away with relaxing for 15 minutes when they get home from work, but there is no way that would fly in my house. My wife is patient and caring, but she tells me the time to relax is during my commute home.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:29 am

Nothing is more rewarding than hugging and kissing my two little girls. Everything bad or good at work is worth it when I see my daughters' faces light up at the sight of their father. I only wish their bed time was later. Tumbling and rumbling on the ground all over the house. That is how I relax. I am as sad as them when it's their bed time. :(

Pam01

Post by Pam01 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:55 am

I commute by bus and then usually walk home the last mile. Both of those activities are relaxing as I get time to read on the bus. By the time I reach home, I am already in a relaxed frame of mind.

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:03 am

Cooking dinner usually helps me. It requires enough focus that I can normally stop worrying about whatever happened at work that day & the end result is pretty rewarding. However, we don't have kids yet; I'm sure it's much less relaxing when you have hungry little ones under foot!

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:19 am

We walk about 15-20" in the morning before working, I often have a glass of wine in the evening, and we alternate giving one another foot massages for one hour. Not everyday but when the "massager" feels ready. Averages each receiving and giving about 1.5 per week, usually while watching television. We also play Scrabble at least weekly. As you could guess, there are no children at home.

Tim

camptalcott

Post by camptalcott » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:23 am

depends on what I have to do.

I'm a working mom so relaxing after work is pretty much a foreign term. :happy
now that my kids are college age (still at home though), I usually try and catch a tv show or some thing for 30 minutes just to decompress.
Walking the dog around my neighborhood when the weather is great is another favorite.
"He who dies with the most toys is still, nonetheless dead"

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:31 am

I find that I'm already pretty relaxed when I get home.

The trick is to not let work get you so wound up that you need to "do" something in order to relax in the first place.
Stay on target...

ustf

Post by ustf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:01 am

Park the car a mile or two away from work and walk from and back to it from work.
Vary the distance based on time, health and weather.
Avoid the smartphone and computer at home.