What do you do to relax just after returning from work

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tainted-meat

Re: What do you do to relax just after returning from work

Post by tainted-meat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:46 pm

kill a brew or two and listen to some npr or watch nightly news on pbs

walk or run a few miles

play some tennis

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:37 pm

Either cook or wrangle the toddler. If I get home a bit early we play or go to the park. Dinner then kids bedtime routine. We usually veg for an hour or so and then any extracurricular stuff like volunteer organization projects, studying for advancement from 9-1030. I fit a workout in at lunch or during commute by biking or walking from farther train station.

davebo

Post by davebo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:19 am

I have 3 little kids (6,4,4) so when I get home, I change into different clothes and usually eat dinner. Lately, a couple times a week, my son and I immediately head out to t-ball because I'm the coach. If we don't have a game, we'll usually play outside (when it's nice) or go to a park or something.

Either way, there is no relaxing until the kids are in bed. I've heard of people in my boat where the husbands can get away with relaxing for 15 minutes when they get home from work, but there is no way that would fly in my house. My wife is patient and caring, but she tells me the time to relax is during my commute home.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:29 am

Nothing is more rewarding than hugging and kissing my two little girls. Everything bad or good at work is worth it when I see my daughters' faces light up at the sight of their father. I only wish their bed time was later. Tumbling and rumbling on the ground all over the house. That is how I relax. I am as sad as them when it's their bed time. :(

Pam01

Post by Pam01 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:55 am

I commute by bus and then usually walk home the last mile. Both of those activities are relaxing as I get time to read on the bus. By the time I reach home, I am already in a relaxed frame of mind.

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:03 am

Cooking dinner usually helps me. It requires enough focus that I can normally stop worrying about whatever happened at work that day & the end result is pretty rewarding. However, we don't have kids yet; I'm sure it's much less relaxing when you have hungry little ones under foot!

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:19 am

We walk about 15-20" in the morning before working, I often have a glass of wine in the evening, and we alternate giving one another foot massages for one hour. Not everyday but when the "massager" feels ready. Averages each receiving and giving about 1.5 per week, usually while watching television. We also play Scrabble at least weekly. As you could guess, there are no children at home.

Tim

camptalcott

Post by camptalcott » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:23 am

depends on what I have to do.

I'm a working mom so relaxing after work is pretty much a foreign term. :happy
now that my kids are college age (still at home though), I usually try and catch a tv show or some thing for 30 minutes just to decompress.
Walking the dog around my neighborhood when the weather is great is another favorite.
"He who dies with the most toys is still, nonetheless dead"

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:31 am

I find that I'm already pretty relaxed when I get home.

The trick is to not let work get you so wound up that you need to "do" something in order to relax in the first place.
Stay on target...

ustf

Post by ustf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:01 am

Park the car a mile or two away from work and walk from and back to it from work.
Vary the distance based on time, health and weather.
Avoid the smartphone and computer at home.

alexfoo39

Post by alexfoo39 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:34 am

i felt so guilty after returning from work today exhausted. After dinner I collapsed for about 1.5 hour. Still single, but couldn't imagine next time if i ever have a family. Great posts here, gained some insight =)

IMO

Post by IMO » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:03 am

Not working anymore, but typically coming home and bitching about work with spouse who worked at same facility for 10 minutes was relaxing.

market timer

Post by market timer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:15 am

Pour some Scotch
Play a few games of blitz chess
Take a klonopin
Start watching a TV show until it's a struggle to keep my eyes open

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:38 am

Help the DW cook-then eat, help cleanup (dishes by hand) shower, fire up laptop (both of us) turn on Wheel then Jeopardy, then a local show called Chronicle. After that DW controls the remote while I get lost in reading/watching various things online next to her.

On Thurs, and Friday we have a glass of wine. When summer add a walk somewhere in there. Rinse, repeat.

carol-brennan

Post by carol-brennan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:14 am

Definitely no drinking. That's a sure way to an early death.

beyou

Post by beyou » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:05 am

I commute by public transit, and sleep part of the trip home. I feel refreshed enough I can go to the gym or other activities that distract me from the gym. When younger, it was mostly going to see my son in sports events and/or coaching his teams. Either way these things took me away from thinking about work.

Big Dutch

Post by Big Dutch » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:23 am

Straight to the gym to get physical Ann's clear my head, if I go home first my energy drops off. An audio book during my commute is also a way for me to get metal space before I get home.

Big Dutch

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:07 am

As often as possible, I run or get outside in nature or a combination of both. While my schedule makes it easier (in some ways) to exercise before work, I get much more benefit/stress relief if I exercise after work.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:45 am

A drink: Margarita, Martini, Scotch/Bourbon, or glass of wine. Usually not beer unless it's the weekend, beer tends to mess with my sleep.

Then dinner, homework with the kids, talk to wife, walk the dog. Not much real "down time" for me, ever.
carol-brennan wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:14 am
Definitely no drinking. That's a sure way to an early death.

What's "early"? Will be attending a memorial for a friend's wife, she died of cancer at age 45. No one knows when the day will come. A friend from HS got cancer and died around age 25. I'd rather enjoy life a little along the way. At least I don't smoke although I'm fully aware that I'd probably enjoy that as well! :beer

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:13 am

whatusername? wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:10 pm
I run a few miles as needed. A 30 minute run is usually enough for me to switch gears and shake off the day; some days more....
Yessir. Well done.

This advice works best when you "don't feel like it."
Funding secured

Rowdie

Post by Rowdie » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:05 am

My after work therapy is getting in the tractor with my dog in the cab and checking things out on the farm, sometimes brush hogging.

Sitting in the yard with my chickens is relaxing too. :happy

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:21 am

When I still worked (retired now), my commute was a 15-20 minute walk through a quiet residential area. So just walking home started the relaxation process. Then I put some music on the stereo, put up my feet on the recliner, and read some of the magazines that were usually piled up on the end-table.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

m@ver1ck

Post by m@ver1ck » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:27 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:21 pm
are you kidding? I get home around 6:30 or 7:30 and it's immediately go go go with the kids - dinner, dishes, baths, reading, bedtime - and 9:15 before I have even a minute to think about relaxing. Twice a week at night I go to the gym, otherwise it's getting ready for the next day (making lunch and coffee, getting clothes ready), trying to get through some mail and a journal, dealing with whatever around the house is falling apart that I haven't gotten to. Around 11 I usually sit down for 30-60 minutes on the computer or in front of the TV before getting to bed and reading a little.

Relaxation is apparently for other people, or for weekends, or for retirement. There is no relaxation during my work week.
This pretty much sums it up for me. Home in the evenings is pretty much as much stress as day at work. At least I can control what happens at work. With a 2 yr old and a 8’yr old, it’s way harder.

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:31 am

I grew up watching Samantha making martinis whenever Darren came home from work, so...

-B

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:59 am

I get 30 minutes on the bus/car before I enter my house full of energized kids.

That 30 minutes constitutes either a nap, Netflix or a Book.

I love that 30 minutes.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:01 am

Run on a treadmill (at work), or play on my phone while watching TV (home).

minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:07 am

Recently I’ve been doing a 15 minute kettlebell workout at home. In the summer I’ll go for a short bike ride most evenings.

sadie wess

Post by sadie wess » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:39 pm

market timer wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:15 am
Pour some Scotch
Play a few games of blitz chess
Take a klonopin
Start watching a TV show until it's a struggle to keep my eyes open
Funny guy.

Sense of humor and honesty is some of the best medicine in the history of mankind.
+!

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:57 pm

Relax? Can't, have to cook dinner and get the kids ready for their evening events or homework. While I cook, wife cleans. We can never catch up.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:19 am

squirm wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:57 pm
Relax? Can't, have to cook dinner and get the kids ready for their evening events or homework. While I cook, wife cleans. We can never catch up.
This. Last week, I had Sunday from 8:30-9:30 pm to relax, and that was it. I had a glass of cheap scotch (was too tired to enjoy the good stuff) and sat in front of the fire with my wife, watching some show.

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:38 am

I might go to a gym or thrift store on my way home because I enjoy that. Then change into jeans and sweatshirt and work on my side hustle for about 1 hour(mostly find that relaxing too). Maybe tinker with watches or my radio hobby after dinner.

Sometimes work follows me home. That’s not ideal but had to make peace with it a long time ago as one full time job isn’t enough unless you are in a pretty specialized field. I want all the extras in life and that’s what I’ve needed to do to get them. Now at 40, I do appreciate down time more and more...