Free Windows 10 Upgrade, Yes or No?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nedsaid

Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade, Yes or No?

Post by nedsaid » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:42 am

LadyGeek wrote:You should always upgrade to the latest supported operating system, as it's the one most supported.

OTOH, one should wait until things settle out before making the jump. Windows 8 made a fatal error by incorrectly assuming desktop users would be in the minority. Vista has a whole bunch of reasons (Criticism of Windows Vista).

I'm on Windows 7 now, holding off on Windows 10 due to the numerous privacy issues. I'll reconsider when the privacy tools have had time to mature.

Here's one possibility, recommended by Steve Gibson's Security Now! podcast episode #533: Spybot Anti-Beacon However, the support forums indicate excessive CPU resource utilization. I'll wait a while longer.
By the way, I give a hearty recommendation to Steve Gibson. I used his site to test and help configure my firewall in the past. He knew what he was talking about.

In March of 2014, I upgraded my computer from Windows XP to Windows 7. It took several hundred dollars and some effort. I made it through with no tears and few cuss words, so it went relatively well. It is a bit traumatic every time I go through this. I did 95 to 98 and then 98 to 98SE. When I did 98SE to XP, that was enough for a while. I was very pleased with XP and thus stuck with it for a long time. I upgraded when it became apparent that XP was a gigantic security hole and I elected to upgrade to Windows 7 and Office 2010. Using older software was cheaper and I am still up to date considering what is out there in the workplace.

I would rather just stick with 7 until they stop supporting it in 2020. Hard decision. I may upgrade, I still have seven months or so to accept a free upgrade to 10. I don't know. These upgrades are such a pain in the keyster.
A fool and his money are good for business.

dcdowden

Post by dcdowden » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:58 am

I finally decided to try the update to Win 10 so that I could be in a better position to support some relatives on Win 10.
So first thing I find out is that the update fails because of inadequate system reserve space. Apparently Win 7 has different default size system partitions on the disk than Win 8. After searching around I found a free tool EaseUS Partition that allowed me to change the partition sizes - lots of good info on the web about how to fix this problem with Win 10 update.

After that, I was able to install Win 10, but it froze during boot on the Win Logo page. After trying this a couple times and having it fail repeatedly. I googled this problem and found that many Samsung laptops have a Broadcom WiFi device in them that is incompatible with Win 10. Neither Samsung or Microsoft seem to be doing anything to fix this problem. Apparently some people have been successful tearing their laptops apart and replacing the Broadcom device. But I don't really have any reason to go to Win 10 at this point, so I am just going to stay with Win 7. The most annoying thing is that the Win 10 upgrade process did not catch either of these issues before starting the upgrade. I probably wasted several hours fooling around with it. Lucky I'm retired and have lots of time, I would really have been annoyed if I wasted an evening or weekend when I was working 60+ hours a week.
Maybe I can save someone here some of that frustration.

Doug

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Steelersfan wrote:I've never upgraded the O/S on a PC before, just waiting until I bought a new PC with the new O/S/ on it. But I bit the bullet on this upgrade and it's been seamless and trouble free. It was even easier than upgrading with a new PC since I didn't have to reinstall any software and copy any data.
Nice positive experience. Can you share your hardware setup?

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:08 pm

Back in July, I attempted to upgrade my desktop from Win 8, which I hated with a passion. The upgrade froze in midstream, but I was able to restart the machine and it rolled back. The error code was something the tech. at Microsoft had never seen before. I did the upgrade again last month, and everything went fine. My machine is home built with components from Newegg and an AMD processor.

I have also upgraded a notebook from XP with no issues. It is an ASUS eee.

Desktop:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SPRINGBOK
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model To be filled by O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor AMD A10-6700 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 3700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F2, 1/31/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10586.0"
User Name Springbok\Username
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.46 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.40 GB
Total Virtual Memory 9.28 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.36 GB
Page File Space 1.81 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:20 pm

Build 10240 is the original release version. There was a major update in November 10586 but getting it may take time. To check on ones installed version use Windows Key + R then type in "winver" and tap OK to see the current installed version. I updated two of my four with this update but the remaining two don't show the update available and I don't really want to use the online Windows Setup button method I used on one of the two - too scary!
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:37 pm

BlueEars wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:I've never upgraded the O/S on a PC before, just waiting until I bought a new PC with the new O/S/ on it. But I bit the bullet on this upgrade and it's been seamless and trouble free. It was even easier than upgrading with a new PC since I didn't have to reinstall any software and copy any data.
Nice positive experience. Can you share your hardware setup?
2 year old Lenovo, dual 2.7 GHz processor with 4 GB memory.

Nothing special since I mainly do internet, word processing and modest sized spreadsheets.

runner26

Post by runner26 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:56 pm

It seems MS got more aggressive about the upgrade. Two days ago I got a more aggressive pop-up about upgrading. It had two buttons, upgrade now or upgrade later. I clicked upgrade later, and a download of window 10 started, even though I had previously registered and download to be ready. The download had a cancel button, which I clicked, but the download did not stop. Now I was worried, so I x-ed out the box and logged off to stop it.

When I logged back in, and after a few minutes, the download was again continuing, so I let it run, and boom the upgrade was starting. I decided, oh well, lets just go for it. I custom installed with most of the privacy protections suggested by the paranoid (nice to have a tablet to research such things during the install).

After 2 days, I like 10 better than 8.1 which I was comfortable with since I had set it up to boot to the desktop.

One irritation was that the dell backup and recovery no longer works with windows 10. They want you to upgrade to their prime cloud service. No thanks. Looking for an alternate, I read that windows 10 did not have a backup built in for your own hard drive. I found that this is not true and located the installed windows 7 backup had been installed with along with windows 10 and it works just fine, and better that the dell backup anyway.

Even though I like the new Edge browser, the upgrade left IE in place too, so there is a fall back, at least for now.

Some said here you cannot have alternate accounts with shared directories, which had caused me to wait. But after the install, I found that NOT to have been true. My accounts are exactly with same as with 8.1 (administrative and limited) with the shared directory I had set up working just the same.

So happy 10 user here in the end.

Boglenaut

Re: upgrade to Windows 10?

Post by Boglenaut » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:43 pm

I hesitated to upgraded because we used Windows Media center in Windows 7 Professional to watch home video. But one of the kids is getting a PS4 and I believe you can use that, so I attempted the update today.

First time it crashed when it was doing the final changes in Windows 10, and automatically reverted to Windows 7. It crashed several times doing this. This machine does have a overheating problem, so I put it on the cooling pad and got Win 7 going.

The second attempt I cut the CPU to 50% and put some ice packets near the chill pad air intake. It got to the same place near the end and crashed again. I am fairly confident it was not overheated this time because the fan was not going full blast.

So I decided I don't really need to upgrade the 6 year old machine, but have not been able to remove the "Get Windows 10" nagware. They should at least make that an option.

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:58 pm

jchef wrote: Windows 7 support ends in January 2020.
For the 2009 machine above, I think I will just stick with Win 7. It has other problems and will certainly be obsolete by then.

My wife's machine is only about 3.5 years old, so that one I will probably update because it could survive until then. But she is reluctant so will wait until closer to the deadline.

Computers sure last longer before going obsolete... I used to have to get a new one every 2 or 3 years, now going 6+ so far on my last one.

archbish99

Post by archbish99 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:18 am

BigFoot48 wrote:Build 10586 is the original release version. There was a major update in November but getting it may take time.
Quick correction -- 10240 is the original version, 10586 is the November Update.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:30 am

archbish99 wrote:Quick correction -- 10240 is the original version, 10586 is the November Update.
Thanks. I knew that then forgot it. I fixed my post.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:09 am

runner26 wrote:It seems MS got more aggressive about the upgrade. Two days ago I got a more aggressive pop-up about upgrading. It had two buttons, upgrade now or upgrade later. I clicked upgrade later, and a download of window 10 started, even though I had previously registered and download to be ready. The download had a cancel button, which I clicked, but the download did not stop. Now I was worried, so I x-ed out the box and logged off to stop it.

When I logged back in, and after a few minutes, the download was again continuing, so I let it run, and boom the upgrade was starting. I decided, oh well, lets just go for it. I custom installed with most of the privacy protections suggested by the paranoid (nice to have a tablet to research such things during the install).
Same aggression going on here. I've now changed the "always install upgrades" option to "always ask first" so hoping it won't happen for now.

I have Windows 7 and wish to preserve some ancient and discontinued windows XP software that I got to work under Win 7 years ago using "Windows Virtual PC". Anyone have any thoughts/guesses how hard it would be to get such old stuff to work under Windows 10? (It's a old Fortran compiler).

Google appears pessimistic............says "Virtual PC is gone, you have to use Hyper-V, VMware, or VirtualBox", whatever they are. I'm getting too old for this. :annoyed
JW
Retired at Last

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:01 pm

JW-Retired wrote:I'm getting too old for this. :annoyed
JW
You need a teenager!

Consider using Linux to run the FORTRAN.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:34 pm

FYI - I merged ruralavalon's thread into here. (Started Sep 17, 2015 and recently bumped.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

drwtsn32

Post by drwtsn32 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:10 pm

Boglenaut wrote:So I decided I don't really need to upgrade the 6 year old machine, but have not been able to remove the "Get Windows 10" nagware. They should at least make that an option.
You can do it by uninstalling specific hotfixes and adding an entry to the Registry. Or you can use this automated tool called GWX Control Panel. I used it in my Win7 and Win8.1 virtual machines that I will never upgrade and it worked well.

Windows 10 has been great for me though. All our computers at home have been updated now. Build 10586 (November update) is pretty slick.

drwtsn32

Post by drwtsn32 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:15 pm

JW-Retired wrote:Google appears pessimistic............says "Virtual PC is gone, you have to use Hyper-V, VMware, or VirtualBox", whatever they are.
Any of those technologies would let you run a Windows XP virtual machine.

Hyper-V is excellent and free, but is an installable option only in Windows 10 Pro. It's not available in Windows 10 Home.

VMware Workstation is also excellent but is not free. In the past the company offered a product called "VMware Player" which *is* free, but I am not sure if it's still available and I'm too lazy to look.

VirtualBox is free and works great, but I've only used it on Linux.

archbish99

Post by archbish99 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:37 am

Yeah -- Virtual PC was free, and Hyper-V is free in Win10 Pro or better (assuming capable hardware -- Virtual PC could be a little more forgiving on processor capabilities). The main advantage of "XP mode" was that you got an XP license bundled with your Win7 license. I don't know the legal status of that license after an upgrade.

Padlin

Post by Padlin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:54 pm

Been running 10 for something like 6 months. Just the other day 2 updates asked to download and install, told it to go ahead. After the first, which was for the touchpad, I saw the 2nd one was huge, on checking further it was win 10pro. Took a quick look and MS is charging something like $150. No real warning, just looked like an ordinary upgrade. I killed it.

I imagine it'll try again before too long, so much for free.
Regards | Bob

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:00 pm

drwtsn32 wrote:
JW-Retired wrote:Google appears pessimistic............says "Virtual PC is gone, you have to use Hyper-V, VMware, or VirtualBox", whatever they are.
Any of those technologies would let you run a Windows XP virtual machine.

Hyper-V is excellent and free, but is an installable option only in Windows 10 Pro. It's not available in Windows 10 Home.

VMware Workstation is also excellent but is not free. In the past the company offered a product called "VMware Player" which *is* free, but I am not sure if it's still available and I'm too lazy to look.

VirtualBox is free and works great, but I've only used it on Linux.
Thanks for your input. I will keep it mind, but for now I'm just going to stick with Windows 7.
JW
Retired at Last

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:05 pm

Padlin wrote:Been running 10 for something like 6 months. Just the other day 2 updates asked to download and install, told it to go ahead. After the first, which was for the touchpad, I saw the 2nd one was huge, on checking further it was win 10pro. Took a quick look and MS is charging something like $150. No real warning, just looked like an ordinary upgrade. I killed it.

I imagine it'll try again before too long, so much for free.
Yes, I downloaded a Huge Update last week. I very much doubt that MS would charge on an Auto-update. It was not 10pro, but it did like like a Complete O/S install.

The Upgrade was Free BTW..... So, I think your fears are unwarranted.

archbish99

Post by archbish99 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:28 pm

Padlin wrote:Been running 10 for something like 6 months. Just the other day 2 updates asked to download and install, told it to go ahead. After the first, which was for the touchpad, I saw the 2nd one was huge, on checking further it was win 10pro. Took a quick look and MS is charging something like $150. No real warning, just looked like an ordinary upgrade. I killed it.
No. The November update is a pretty sizable download, so I'd guess that's what you were seeing. If it said it was an update to Win10 Pro, that would imply that you're currently running Win10 Pro. You can go ahead and install it -- money not involved. Obviously, if you want to go out and buy a new license for Win10 Pro, that would cost money -- but you're just updating an existing Win10 install, not licensing a new PC.

wander

Post by wander » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:08 pm

Windows 10 violates your privacy by default, here's how you can protect yourself
I am not afraid of handling computer's issues. But, I don't if I can avoid it. Besides, I built my desktop so I am not sure if Windows 10 will be compatible with current hardware.

Padlin

Post by Padlin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:18 am

archbish99 wrote:
No. The November update is a pretty sizable download, so I'd guess that's what you were seeing. If it said it was an update to Win10 Pro, that would imply that you're currently running Win10 Pro. You can go ahead and install it -- money not involved. Obviously, if you want to go out and buy a new license for Win10 Pro, that would cost money -- but you're just updating an existing Win10 install, not licensing a new PC.
Ok, guess I misunderstood. I'll give it a shot. Thanks
Regards | Bob

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:49 am

I'm not asking for help, mainly just posting this as a warning to Bogleheads.

A friend did the Win10 update without much thought. He had been using fingerprint login and found that capability did not survive the update. That's when he noticed he couldn't remember his type-in password so he's locked out. :oops:

I suppose there is some way to recover from this??? A quick Google turns up a large number of folks who are struggling with Win10 upgrade lockouts, and mostly they did know their passwords. There were things to try but no solution consensus.

It was a week ago but I haven't heard if he has found a fix. Will ask him later today and come back for suggestions if he still needs help.

Meanwhile, be warned.
JW
Retired at Last

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:00 am

Since you said he did it without much thought I suspect the answer is "NO", but I'm going to ask anyway.... Did he do a system backup before the upgrade?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

drwtsn32

Post by drwtsn32 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:04 am

JW-Retired wrote:I suppose there is some way to recover from this???
I bet the fingerprint software was automatically uninstalled during the upgrade because it wasn't compatible. Fingerprint login is not something that has ever been built into Windows, so it was provided as a driver/software package by the computer manufacturer.

There is a way to recover from this. You can clear passwords on local accounts, unlock them, enable them, etc with a special boot CD. I've used the one here numerous times, but I don't know if it is compatible with Windows 10.

I see another procedure to recover from a forgotten Windows 10 logon by using the Windows 10 installation media and pulling some tricks. It is more work than the link I provided above, but it would definitely work.

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:17 am

My wife's 2009 HP laptop which was up to date in Win 7 has a fingerprint reader which never worked well. Maybe because I did not have an updated driver for it. Anyway, after the painless Win 10 conversion the fingerprint reader works now.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:03 pm

cheese_breath wrote:Since you said he did it without much thought I suspect the answer is "NO", but I'm going to ask anyway.... Did he do a system backup before the upgrade?
I was reluctant to ask if there was a backup.
Retired at Last

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:37 pm

drwtsn32 wrote:...There is a way to recover from this. You can clear passwords on local accounts, unlock them, enable them, etc with a special boot CD. I've used the one here numerous times, but I don't know if it is compatible with Windows 10.

I see another procedure to recover from a forgotten Windows 10 logon by using the Windows 10 installation media and pulling some tricks. It is more work than the link I provided above, but it would definitely work.
Those not technically savvy should be aware that the first link is a software "cracking" tool. You are modifying a file in a way that bypasses the OS password security protections. Given the nature of the website and the intended purpose, I'll let the link stand. Also, I've used a similar tool (modify the SAM file) to help a friend recover a Windows NT laptop password - that was a l-o-n-g time ago.

The 2nd link Reset a Windows 10 password is useful, thanks. The article Reset Windows 7 / 8 administrator password contains some good tricks for Win 7.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:44 am

No!!!! Terrible experience and now back to W8.1!

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:01 am

Just did the Win 10 Upgrade. All is well, with only a little confusion along the way. All apps work OK.

Points of confusion:
  • Download failed twice before it went all the way through. I'm sure this is the fault of my Internet service, but it is a big download so sensitive to this kind of thing. Took almost two hours for the final, successful, download to finish.
  • For some reason, once installed, W10 decided to re-upload my OneDrive files. Don't know if it did ALL of them, but it did take a few hours to get through. I wasn't paying much attention and didn't time it.
  • About four or five files got an error message during the OneDrive upload. These were files I was messing with early on in the process. I ended up with two copies of these files. The extra copy was given a unique name. When I saw what was happening I decided to walk away and let it finish before I messed up any other files.
Surprisingly GOOD things:
  • My printer worked despite warnings from the manufacturer's support web page that I needed to install the Win 10 package from their web page. I did that anyway even though it seemed to be working OK.
  • Before upgrading, the the system check for compatibility said there was a problem with my Bluetooth driver -- not compatible with WIn10 and W10 version not available. Since I have a Bluetooth mouse this could be a big problem so I called the manufacturer of my laptop to ask and got a bit of a song and dance saying it would all work out in the end but there might be some confusion with my Bluetooth mouse before it was all over. Well, there was no problem: it all worked first time.
Now to get used to the W8.1 to W10 differences.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:09 am

Good luck, I love Windows 10 and edge too except for the fact that you still can't add 1password.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:11 am

Youngblood wrote:Good luck, I love Windows 10 and edge too except for the fact that you still can't add 1password.

Regarding Extensions :happy
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10- ... ne-in-2016
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:12 am

I have been in IT for 20 years .
It's never a good idea to jump to a new version within 6 months to a year. Unless you have a compelling reason like security or software need.
Besides this be prepared to loose many windows 7 built-ins like movie maker etc.

I would let the software mature by public q&a for a year.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:18 am

Toons wrote:
Youngblood wrote:Good luck, I love Windows 10 and edge too except for the fact that you still can't add 1password.

Ahhh, thanks Toons! I knew it was planned but hadn't seen that.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:22 am

Youngblood wrote:
Toons wrote:

Yep,,
As soon as I can my lastpass extension installed in Edge
I am switching from chrome. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Based on a conversation last week with a friend who had a very difficult time backing off after W/10 didn't work for him I'm strongly leaning towards staying with 7. If my understanding that W/7 extended support will continue until January, 2020 is correct I'll probably be replacing my computer by then anyway.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:47 pm

Toons wrote:
Youngblood wrote:
Toons wrote:

Yep,,
As soon as I can my lastpass extension installed in Edge
I am switching from chrome. :happy
agreed, plus my experience in W10 with Chrome browser first on an ASUS laptop that I returned for an Acer laptop is that the Chrome browser seems to be somewhat incompatible with W10. After a few minutes the cursor disappears. I can only get it back by a restart. I'm glad to have a touch screen so I can at least navigate after the cursor disappears in the browser. This is a known Chrome issue going back to W8. Lots of comments on MS and google help blogs, but no solution that works for me. Second, I get seemingly random screen changes both bigger and smaller. Again a known issue in the blogs. From my reading this is a google rather an an MS problem. One they refuse to acknowledge or fix.

All is fine in Firefox and Edge. But I agree, the current lack of acceptance of a PW manager extension in Edge is a current deal breaker, almost a year after launch. What are these guys thinking?

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:08 pm

heartwood wrote:...
All is fine in Firefox and Edge. But I agree, the current lack of acceptance of a PW manager extension in Edge is a current deal breaker, almost a year after launch. What are these guys thinking?
I take it that Firefox plus Lastpass is OK in Win 10?

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:48 pm

BlueEars wrote:
heartwood wrote:...
I take it that Firefox plus Lastpass is OK in Win 10?
It works well for me.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:29 pm

I'm currently typing on a Chrome browser with Lastpass on Windows 10. I've been using it for a while now. When LastPass upgraded itself to version 4 I did have some issues where the browser was crashing, but re-installing LastPass mostly fixed it. It still crashes every few days, but I can quickly reload all the tabs. So, I'm not sure what problems others seem to be having with Chrome and Win10, but I'm pretty happy with it.

So far I've not had any problems with compatibility for older Win 7 apps. Quicken still seems fine, and even my scanner software (which I think came in the XP days) seems to be fine.

Steve

tj

Post by tj » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:14 pm

I went to Windows 10 today. No issues so far. Appparently Symantec Endpoint Protection wasn't compatible with the upgrade, so I uninstalled it...and am using the free Windows Defender instead.

gd

Post by gd » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:36 am

Upgraded 2 days ago, after MS overrode my explicit removal and disabling (using the official method) of their upgrade nagware for the 3rd time. Resistance was futile.

Good side: No problem with upgrade so far, don't do much exotic. Seems identical in performance and actual functionality. Don't have to inspect the upgrades to catch the nagware. My free-via-comcast Norton AV doesn't seem to wake up the sleeping PC every 30 minutes any more, which it did with W7 starting several months ago. Bad side: their look-and-feel has degenerated, change-for-change's-sake. They've continued to chase after the Apple/tablet look and go stylishly flat. The windows title bar doesn't distinguish between active and inactive windows, and they've removed visual cues to controls. Fonts seem slightly less readable (could be my imagination), it's easy to increase them 25%, which is too much-- 12% would be perfect, but not offered. Scroll bars becoming invisible. Reminds me of when web sites were all designed by people with 19" monitors and really fast network connections, while the rest of us had 13" and dialup. Can I change it? Yes, some of it. Why should I need to? I used to build UIs as a side part of my SW job decades ago, and this kind of stuff is just tedious. The new start button with tiles? Eh, trivial, until the tiles show live web sites. Not as handy as the long-removed W7 desktop gadgets, which were one of the best things about W7. Overall, I rate it an eye-roll and shoulder-shrug. Spouse should be able to adapt, not planning on subjecting my elderly parent to it and get endless questions without good answers.

drwtsn32

Post by drwtsn32 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:58 am

tj wrote:I went to Windows 10 today. No issues so far. Appparently Symantec Endpoint Protection wasn't compatible with the upgrade, so I uninstalled it...and am using the free Windows Defender instead.
SEP is compatible if you use one of the latest versions.... 12.1.6, if I remember correctly.

However, I opted to just remove SEP and use the built in antimalware software anyway.

drwtsn32

Post by drwtsn32 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:00 am

gd wrote:Upgraded 2 days ago, after MS overrode my explicit removal and disabling (using the official method) of their upgrade nagware for the 3rd time. Resistance was futile.
The REALLY official method, which only became available 2-3 months ago, involves installing an unpublished hotfix and then modifying the local group policy and/or Registry. MS has assured people that if that particular method was followed it wouldn't be "un-done" like previous recommended methods which were just Registry changes. I'm curious if that's what you did or not.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:34 pm

I wouldn't have gone to Win 10 except that Win 8 was so much worse. But like the IT guy says above, you do lose things.
The whole notion that the OS was to be used on both handheld and PCs was stupid. So we get stuck with things like uncontrollable Pinch Zoom that can't be turned off permanently unless you get into regedit..almost impossible for me to find on the computer now.

I actually had to go looking for Paint and download it. It should be standard!

I think having Win 7 FOREVER would be ideal, but my only W7 machine died.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:57 pm

drwtsn32 wrote:
gd wrote:Upgraded 2 days ago, after MS overrode my explicit removal and disabling (using the official method) of their upgrade nagware for the 3rd time. Resistance was futile.
The REALLY official method, which only became available 2-3 months ago, involves installing an unpublished hotfix and then modifying the local group policy and/or Registry. MS has assured people that if that particular method was followed it wouldn't be "un-done" like previous recommended methods which were just Registry changes. I'm curious if that's what you did or not.
The last update to my Windows 7 PC reinstalled the nagware update KB 3035583 which I was very careful to hide from the update process. I uninstalled and re-hid it again. :annoyed

patrick

Post by patrick » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:32 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
drwtsn32 wrote:
The last update to my Windows 7 PC reinstalled the nagware update KB 3035583 which I was very careful to hide from the update process. I uninstalled and re-hid it again. :annoyed
The GWX Control Panel seems like a better option for hiding the upgrades. But don't forget that if you stick with Windows 7, security updates will stop in January 2020.

patrick

Post by patrick » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:47 pm

montanagirl wrote:I wouldn't have gone to Win 10 except that Win 8 was so much worse. But like the IT guy says above, you do lose things.
The whole notion that the OS was to be used on both handheld and PCs was stupid. So we get stuck with things like uncontrollable Pinch Zoom that can't be turned off permanently unless you get into regedit..almost impossible for me to find on the computer now.

I actually had to go looking for Paint and download it. It should be standard!

I think having Win 7 FOREVER would be ideal, but my only W7 machine died.
Hmmm ... I just installed Windows 10 and the old desktop Paint (which looks just like the Windows 7 one) is still there. It is under "Windows Accessories" in the start menu, not it's on top-level entry under "P".

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:38 pm

Upgraded today with no issues whatsoever; took about 45 minutes running on a newish laptop purchased last spring. I was actually surprised that all my existing programs were installed and launched as they did before, without having to "fix" something first.

I did opt out of all the data monitoring/reporting settings, which you must do via the "advanced" setup upon first reboot (vs the "express" settings).

So far so good.