Free Windows 10 Upgrade, Yes or No?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DaftInvestor

Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade, Yes or No?

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:18 am

Back to the original topic (every time WIndows is mentioned the Mac fanatics jump in):
My daughter attempted an upgrade last night and it failed. She was able to roll-back to version 8.1. Be sure to back everything up before attempting - there are lots of forum/discussion on Microsoft explaining how to recover and what to do for various upgrade error codes (in her case - she didn't get an error code but rather a hard fail in the middle of the upgrade).

However - I have heard a lot of people where successful in upgrading (so don't let our failure discourage you).

dongrussell

Post by dongrussell » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:46 am

Upgraded my wife's new computer yesterday. There are two problems I have identified:

1. My wife's old desktop computer is running Windows 7. Several login accounts are set up for family members and guests. None have passwords required for login. This is not possible with Windows 10. I had to set it up for my wife's account only, so she would not have to enter her Microsoft account password every time she turned it on.

2. Microsoft provides no way for easy transfer of programs, accounts, data, and settings from a computer running windows 7, 8, or 8.1 to a new one running Windows 10. I managed to transfer data and accounts by manually copying them to/from a USB memory stick. I will have to re-install all programs on the new computer.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:59 am

I think I'm going to take the jump and move from 7 to 10. My desktop has two hard drives: a SSD with Windows and all my programs, and a spinning disk with my personal data. Just a couple of questions.

Is there any particular reason that a reset of the SSD would be useful? I'm fine with reformatting my hard drive, but would rather not bother if there's no good reason to do it. It takes a while to reinstall everything.

Is there any reason I would want to reset my drive with personal data?

BogleBooger

Post by BogleBooger » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:22 pm

Ketawa wrote:I think I'm going to take the jump and move from 7 to 10. My desktop has two hard drives: a SSD with Windows and all my programs, and a spinning disk with my personal data. Just a couple of questions.

Is there any particular reason that a reset of the SSD would be useful? I'm fine with reformatting my hard drive, but would rather not bother if there's no good reason to do it. It takes a while to reinstall everything.

Is there any reason I would want to reset my drive with personal data?
You should be fine just upgrading your windows 7 on the SSD to 10. There will be an option to keep your old files (its creates a Windows.old folder) or start with a clean install. You don't have to reset your SSD before hand.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:37 pm

BogleBooger wrote:You should be fine just upgrading your windows 7 on the SSD to 10. There will be an option to keep your old files (its creates a Windows.old folder) or start with a clean install. You don't have to reset your SSD before hand.
I understand that. I'm just wondering if there's a good reason to do a clean install. I'm probably going to do one after I upgrade.

BogleBooger

Post by BogleBooger » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Ketawa wrote:I understand that. I'm just wondering if there's a good reason to do a clean install. I'm probably going to do one after I upgrade.
I would just put all the important files you want to keep on your HDD then do a clean install on the SSD. You'll have more space on the drive and it is less error prone.

Additionally you can follow this guide to optimize your SSD after a windows install: http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/so ... 7/552.html
It's for windows 7 but some of the steps are true for windows 10.

Shadow_Dancer

Post by Shadow_Dancer » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:55 pm

Here's a CNET article with a video as to how to upgrade to Windows 10. Maybe it will help someone.

Here's how to upgrade to Windows 10
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/heres-how-to ... indows-10/

(Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the CNET video, Watch How We Did a Clean Install of Windows 10.)

jchef

Post by jchef » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:36 pm

dongrussell wrote: 1. My wife's old desktop computer is running Windows 7. Several login accounts are set up for family members and guests. None have passwords required for login. This is not possible with Windows 10. I had to set it up for my wife's account only, so she would not have to enter her Microsoft account password every time she turned it on.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/269209 ... ws-10.html

Tip number 9 explains how to create accounts that aren't associated with Microsoft accounts.

2. Microsoft provides no way for easy transfer of programs, accounts, data, and settings from a computer running windows 7, 8, or 8.1 to a new one running Windows 10. I managed to transfer data and accounts by manually copying them to/from a USB memory stick. I will have to re-install all programs on the new computer.
It's supposed to be automatic. Nearly all programs and data are supposed to continue to work when you upgrade to Windows 10.

I haven't yet performed the upgrade, but people I know who did haven't had any problems with this. Were you running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1? Because these are the only two versions that support the upgrade.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:37 pm

I am not sure if we are talking about upgrading the os on one pc or upgrading to a new windows 10 pc. Microsoft has never made it easy to transfer all installed software to a new computer, only data. The easy transfer tool in win 7 wasn't great, and I understand the one in 8 was worse. Third party companies make software to do this. I did it with Laplinks PC MOVER the last time I upgraded to a new computer, and it worked well.
http://www.laplink.com/index.php/specia ... ver-012014
"PCmover Professional is the ONLY software that automatically moves or restores all selected files, settings, user profiles, and even programs from an old PC to a new one, or old operating system to a new one, using your wired/wireless network. And because most transferred applications are installed ready-to-use on the new PC, there’s usually no need find old CDs, previously downloaded programs, serial number or license codes"
From what I can find the old windows easy transfer tool Is missing from win 10, sot that is a pita. Doing a quick internet search, there appears to be surpisingly little info about migration to windows 10 except for paid products. I suppose the "generic" advice will work.
Mike
Last edited by mhalley on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:44 pm

Just upgraded my kids computer, the bright white windows in explorer give me a headache. So far I have not found a way to fix them.

This is similar to what Office 2013 did...

Make you wonder if Microsoft even bothers to run their os on a computer any more...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

archbish99

Post by archbish99 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:48 pm

DVMResident wrote:^Auto-updates only applies to the home edition. The Pro version will allow you to selectively update.

Personally, this is a deal breaker for me. I've been burned enough by Window updates. I only want security updates.
Not quite.... No edition of Win10 allows "selective updates" the way you're thinking of them. What Pro and Enterprise allow is the "defer updates" option, which lets you delay all non-security updates for a while.

But in theory, the burning by updates should be mitigated by rolling things through the rings. I found Paul Thurrot's perspective on this rather interesting.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.

prudent

Post by prudent » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:57 pm

mhalley wrote:I am not sure if we are talking about upgrading the os on one pc or upgrading to a new windows 10 pc. Microsoft has never made it easy to transfer all installed software to a new computer, only data. Third party companies make software to do this. I did it with Laplinks PC MOVER the last time I upgraded to a new computer, and it worked well.
http://www.laplink.com/index.php/specia ... ver-012014
"PCmover Professional is the ONLY software that automatically moves or restores all selected files, settings, user profiles, and even programs from an old PC to a new one, or old operating system to a new one, using your wired/wireless network. And because most transferred applications are installed ready-to-use on the new PC, there’s usually no need find old CDs, previously downloaded programs, serial number or license codes"
From what I can find the old windows easy transfer tool Is missing from win 10, sot that is a pita.
Mike
Software that can move all programs to a new operating system without having to reinstall is worth more to me than a new operating system.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:17 pm

The computer experts always recommend a clean install to help keep windows working with no problems. This is very much a pita due to having to reinstall all your programs and get everything setup the way you like it. I have always just upgraded on top of the previous os and never had any major problems. So I wouldn't bother with a clean install, unless you have plenty of time to kill, or don't have that many programs installed.
Mike

dpc

Post by dpc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:48 pm

Just did an upgrade this afternoon. Seem to go well - no major issues at this point. I figured nothing could be worse than Windows 8.1, so I was happy to give Windows 10 a shot. So far I like it.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:09 pm

I need to remote desktop my PC at work. So I'm keeping one laptop and desktop with Windows 7. I do most of my work on my Chromebook - great device. I use my Surface Pro 3 mainly for travel and Photoshop Elements. Actually I quite liked Windows 8. I have just upgraded to Windows 10. It took about 30 minutes. I did not bother to backup anything as I only care about my photos. It loaded Photoshop Elements, Ynab, Google Earth but does not seem to have loaded McAfee - I guess they want one to use Windows Defender. I get a free copy of McAfee from AT@T so I'll have to download it. I completed the download of McAfee - from AT@T. All seems fine but it will take some time to get used to the new Interface.
Last edited by Lynette on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matjen

Post by matjen » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:30 pm

I have a Surface Pro 3. Got a notification that my update was ready. Hit the install button and 25 minutes later everything was running smoothly after one additional reboot to get it to recognize wireless after I took it out of its docking station.

Quite like Windows 10 and had no problems with Windows 8 either.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:40 pm

archbish99 wrote:
DVMResident wrote:^Auto-updates only applies to the home edition. The Pro version will allow you to selectively update.

Personally, this is a deal breaker for me. I've been burned enough by Window updates. I only want security updates.
Not quite.... No edition of Win10 allows "selective updates" the way you're thinking of them. What Pro and Enterprise allow is the "defer updates" option, which lets you delay all non-security updates for a while.

But in theory, the burning by updates should be mitigated by rolling things through the rings. I found Paul Thurrot's perspective on this rather interesting.
Bummer.

Well, good reason to stick with previous OS. Maybe time to go back to Linux? :wink:

stratton

Post by stratton » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:57 pm

Define "clean" install.

When I "upgraded" my Windows 7 machine to Windows 8.1 where I had a $14 Windows 8 update s/n.

-re-imaged it to a fresh Windows 7 and installed all patches.
-installed Windows 8 via download and installed all patches.
-installed Windows 8.1 via download and installed all patches.

All about six weeks ago. The only real change I've made is install Classic Shell and a few apps.

The smart thing is probably save all data again and re-install Windows 7 then do the Win10 upgrade. Followed by my stuff.

I did install Windows 10 on a laptop that I haven't really played with yet and I had a few problems somewhat of my own making, but the Windows 10 install didn't cope with them well.

-During the first attempt I tried to look at some system settings, but the Win10 install dialog kept interposing. Then the system settings dialog locked up and I had to kill the Win10 install.
-redoing the Win10 install downloaded the files again. WTF? Use a checksum to confirm the previous download.
-During the second Win10 install it just disappeared. Event Viewer log says it ran out of volume shadow space.
-Cleaned up stuff.
-Third Win10 install worked.

I'm not impressed how the install deals with problems.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:16 am

dongrussell wrote:Upgraded my wife's new computer yesterday. There are two problems I have identified:

1. My wife's old desktop computer is running Windows 7. Several login accounts are set up for family members and guests. None have passwords required for login. This is not possible with Windows 10. I had to set it up for my wife's account only, so she would not have to enter her Microsoft account password every time she turned it on.
You should be able to set it up to use no password by leaving the password field blank. Unfortunately using no password or giving a password, I have not been able to get network file sharing to work. It worked fine prior to updating PCs from Win 7 to Win 10. The computers show up under network in the file explorer but won't allow file access. It wants a User ID and password but even when provided correctly it fails.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:39 am

Is there some way to verify all my programs are compatible with Win 10 without going through the install process?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

jimmyq

Post by jimmyq » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:51 am

I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones. I upgraded my laptop this morning from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and the process went smoothly. All my applications and data are still there and everything appears to be working great. I'm happy.
Last edited by jimmyq on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:04 am

Been waiting for two days and still have not gotten the notice. I know Microsoft is sending it out in waves with the developers and beta testers first, anybody know the schedule when us regular users will be next?
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

nchowrin

Post by nchowrin » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:29 am

sschullo wrote:Been waiting for two days and still have not gotten the notice. I know Microsoft is sending it out in waves with the developers and beta testers first, anybody know the schedule when us regular users will be next?
Go here and download the Windows 10 media creation tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

This tool also allows you to perform a clean install if you prefer that to just an update. I've used it to do 2 updates and 1 clean install.

jchef

Post by jchef » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:38 am

cheese_breath wrote:Is there some way to verify all my programs are compatible with Win 10 without going through the install process?
The Get Windows 10 icon that was added to most people's system tray will tell you. There should be a Check your PC option (which has probably already been automatically run).

Although Microsoft admits this check isn't perfect. For example I have Microsoft Money installed on my Windows 8.1 machine and the check claims all of my apps will work fine with Windows 10. But other people have found that Money doesn't work properly with Windows 10, although there is a workaround to get it working.

jchef

Post by jchef » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:41 am

nchowrin wrote:
sschullo wrote:Been waiting for two days and still have not gotten the notice. I know Microsoft is sending it out in waves with the developers and beta testers first, anybody know the schedule when us regular users will be next?

This tool also allows you to perform a clean install if you prefer that to just an update. I've used it to do 2 updates and 1 clean install.
And in case you don't want to use the tool, regular users have already started getting it. Microsoft just isn't giving it to everyone right away. They want to make sure there are no major problems before everyone gets it.

Apparently about 15 million got it the first day and 50 million got it the second day.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:47 am

I didn't wait for the notification for either of my machines. I went to the Updates page and clicked "Check for Updates." The option to upgrade was in there. I selected it and was off and running.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:25 am

I checked the regular windows update and went to Microsoft.com Windows 10. Did not fine the link that you sent me.
Anyway, thank you!
Yes, I want to do a clean install.
Thanks again.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:31 am

I moved to Windows 10 from 7 yesterday and haven't had any issues. Old drivers have been working fine e.g. my 802.11n dual band wireless network card drivers from Vista. After checking that most of the programs I use were functioning fine, I did a clean install. Use ProduKey to find your new Windows 10 product key before you do this.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:37 am

jchef wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:Is there some way to verify all my programs are compatible with Win 10 without going through the install process?
The Get Windows 10 icon that was added to most people's system tray will tell you. There should be a Check your PC option (which has probably already been automatically run)....
The only options that show for me are..

Get Windows 10
Check your upgrade status
Go to Windows Update
Learn about Windows 10

Check your upgrade status shows that I have an upgrade reserved, but doesn't say anything about compatibility.

The program I'm most concerned about is Norton Internet Security. I've seen various posts on the Internet saying it isn't compatible with Windows 10. Does anybody know anything about this?

matjen

Post by matjen » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:40 am

cheese_breath wrote:
jchef wrote:
The Get Windows 10 icon that was added to most people's system tray will tell you. There should be a Check your PC option (which has probably already been automatically run)....

Get Windows 10
Go to Windows Update
Learn about Windows 10

Check your upgrade status shows that I have an upgrade reserved, but doesn't say anything about compatibility.

The program I'm most concerned about is Norton Internet Security. I've seen various posts on the Internet saying it isn't compatible with Windows 10. Does anybody know anything about this?
Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender built in so you really don't need Norton it seems to me.

https://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-s ... ender.aspx
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:12 pm

matjen wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
jchef wrote:

Get Windows 10
Go to Windows Update
Learn about Windows 10

Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender built in so you really don't need Norton it seems to me.

https://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-s ... ender.aspx
I quit using Norton years ago. Sure it protects but the resource demand is way beyond what I need.

jchef

Post by jchef » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:28 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
jchef wrote:

Get Windows 10
Go to Windows Update
Learn about Windows 10

If you left click on the system tray icon, it will open up a window.

On that window click on the hamburger menu (the three blue lines in the top left corner. And yes, hamburger is the name normally given to the UI element).

Check your PC should be one of the items in the menu that slides open.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:15 pm

jchef wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
jchef wrote:

Get Windows 10
Go to Windows Update
Learn about Windows 10

If you left click on the system tray icon, it will open up a window.

On that window click on the hamburger menu (the three blue lines in the top left corner. And yes, hamburger is the name normally given to the UI element).

Check your PC should be one of the items in the menu that slides open.
Thanks. Got it. I was right clicking. Looks like my PC and apps are good to go, not that I will for awhile. I'll let others play with it first.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:40 pm

Someone asked about norton: from a faq On the norton site
"Your Norton product shall continue to work on Windows 10, as long as you have installed the latest version. To make sure that you have the latest version available for your Norton product installed, visit the Norton Update Center."
There is no way to check if a particular program will work with windows 10, except to go to the programs website and see if they have a notice regarding compatability. The thing that comes to my mind first would be your antivirus program. If it doesn't work now, there will be an update very shortly.Otherwise, i imagine well over 90% of programs will work, and if not there is a compatability mode.
Mike

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:38 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:I didn't wait for the notification for either of my machines. I went to the Updates page and clicked "Check for Updates." The option to upgrade was in there. I selected it and was off and running.
Did that just now.

Still no option to upgrade. :(
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:50 pm

nchowrin wrote:

Do you know how this works with a MAK keys? I have a MAK key for 10 devices (10 licenses, one key). Can I use an un-used install for W10 without causing problems for existing W7 installations?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

nchowrin

Post by nchowrin » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:05 pm

jebmke wrote:
nchowrin wrote:

Do you know how this works with a MAK keys? I have a MAK key for 10 devices (10 licenses, one key). Can I use an un-used install for W10 without causing problems for existing W7 installations?
I'm not familiar with MAK keys, but since you have licensed activated systems on each device it probably wouldn't be a problem. When I did the upgrades it did not ask for the activation key, nor did it require one when I did the clean install. Note: when you use the tool to setup a clean install you have to specify the Windows 10 version, i.e. Home, Pro, etc., if it doesn't match the version on the device you're installing then it requests an activation key. I know this because I tried to do a clean install of Windows 10 Home on a Windows 8.1 Pro after forgetting that it had been upgraded to Pro. Once I got the versions to match it went on without a hitch.

Here's a link to a CNET article on how to do a clean install of Windows 10, including from a Windows 7 machines:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/clean-install-windows-10/

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:11 pm

My Win10 upgrade installation was shockingly simple. I'm really impressed - went fast and required zero input from me other than hitting "ok".

Everything works great after the upgrade - better, actually, in that Bluetooth devices like headphones and keyboards which I had to annoyingly manually pair every time I turned them on, suddenly autopair. Awesome.

A new feature I just discovered that I'm super excited about but haven't gotten to really use yet, is the multiple desktops. I was wondering what this new quickicon on the launch bar on the bottom of the screen was, and its to switch between virtual desktops (like having a second computer open at the same time.)

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:32 pm

Just a warning that the Scammers are starting to take advantage of people anxious to ug to win 10. Remember to do it from Microsoft or your tray icon, not from some email scam. Microsoft is not going to send you an email with a win 10 attachment.

"some scammers are taking advantage of the reservation system for Windows 10 to send out malware-ridden emails, posing as Microsoft. The email pretends to contain the installer package for Windows 10, while really carrying a nasty piece of ransomware called CTB-Locker, which will encrypt your files and hold you over a virtual barrel for payment.

The email goes to a few lengths to appear legitimate — a spoofed email address, so it looks like it comes from update@microsoftdotcom, and disclaimer/antivirus messages that give the impression of authenticity. "

http://gizmodo.com/dont-fall-for-this-w ... 1721498280
Mike

patriciamgr2

privacy issues with Win 10 default settings

Post by patriciamgr2 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:50 pm

I have read that some Win 10 default settings allow Microsoft (& 3rd parties it selects) access to a lot of my data.

Does anyone have a reliable guide to how to change each of these questionable default settings?

Thanks in advance for the help. I skimmed this topic, so I apologize in advance if I missed the answer.

runner26

Post by runner26 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:02 pm

Charter Security Suite only lists up to Windows 8 for support. Anyone successful upgrading that is a Charter internet subscriber, and using their security suite?

runner26

Re: privacy issues with Win 10 default settings

Post by runner26 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:05 pm

patriciamgr2 wrote:I have read that some Win 10 default settings allow Microsoft (& 3rd parties it selects) access to a lot of my data.

Does anyone have a reliable guide to how to change each of these questionable default settings?

Thanks in advance for the help. I skimmed this topic, so I apologize in advance if I missed the answer.
Check out stop sharing your wifi in "Check These 5 Settings After Installing Windows 10" http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/check-the ... 1720799226

Norbert Schlenker

Post by Norbert Schlenker » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:28 pm

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07 ... -settings/
Windows 10‘s privacy settings very much need to be frowned at. Essentially: unless you pay close attention to the fluffy options offered when you first install Microsoft’s new operating system, it’s going to quietly track your behaviour and use it to fire targeted ads at you, as well as keeping tabs on your location history, data from messages, calendars, contacts and God knows what else. It is a bit scary, despite coming off the back of Microsoft’s own pledge to offer ‘real transparency’. You may or may not be OK with this yourself, but in any event at least some of this stuff can be turned off after the fact...

Our lives are on our computers, and our lives are nobody else’s business. I don’t want to wind up seeing adverts for tents while playing Solitaire because I spend a bit too much time looking at my photos of a camping holiday from 2004 and mourning the youth and freedom I had then. I definitely don’t want Windows knowing about my kid and then giving me consumerist recommendations on how to raise her. And I most definitely am not cool with this:
“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.”
In terms of raw practicality, you’re unlikely to actually notice any of this happening, especially as to some degree the results of it will appear as ads within Windows Store apps...

The new version of Solitaire also features ads (see above) unless you pay to unlock them, which is a particularly heartbreaking sign of the times, and that’s one example of somewhere this is likely to weave its dark spell. Essentially, you might wind up clicking on more ads than you otherwise would, because they’re tailored to your interests. Some people may not mind that, others will find it to be profoundly sinister.

Conceptually it’s another story entirely: a large corporation is gathering and storing vast amounts of data on your computing habits, and not simply what you do in a browser.

The other issue here is that Microsoft simply aren’t making it clear enough that they’re doing this, how it might affect you and how to opt out – despite chest-thumping, we’re-all-chums-here talk about how “real transparency starts with straightforward terms and policies that people can clearly understand.”

There is no world in which 45 pages of policy documents and opt-out settings split across 13 different Settings screens and an external website constitutes “real transparency.”

How to opt out

OK, here’s how to take control of this stuff if you’re worried about it. No, opting out is not especially simple, although if you take an absolutist approach it doesn’t take at all long to set everything to ‘no.’...
P.S. http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/001116.html
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.

U5512

Post by U5512 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:33 pm

I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 and I LIKE IT A LOT BETTER. It was quick, fast, simple, and I was watching TV while the computer did the upgrading.
"If you can enjoy Saturdays and Sundays without looking at stock prices, give it a try on weekdays." Warren E. Buffett.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:09 pm

My attempts at updating my Acer laptop running 8.1 have failed about a dozen times, including using the downloaded update on a thumb drive. On the other hand, the thumb drive was used to update my Win7 Asus desktop with SSD/HD and it went flawlessly.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:31 pm

Just updated my Surface Pro....no problems at all.
Just need to mess around with it now.

karpems

Post by karpems » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:17 pm

bondsr4me wrote:Just updated my Surface Pro....no problems at all.
Just need to mess around with it now.
How do you like the surface pro? Thinking about getting one.

wander

Old school

Post by wander » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:02 pm

I keep using Windows 7 for now to save myself from possible mishap.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:11 pm

Windows 10 breaks Microsoft Money Plus - Sunset as it requires IE 6 to run. The good news is someone has posted a registry edit that will fix it. I used it and it works, but use at your own risk. (It just changes the code for the installed version of IE - don't know what impact that might have on using IE). https://techjourney.net/microsoft-money ... indows-10/
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:19 pm

U5512 wrote:I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 and I LIKE IT A LOT BETTER. It was quick, fast, simple, and I was watching TV while the computer did the upgrading.
I run 8.1 with Classic Shell on one of my laptops. I loaded a pre-release version of 10 in a VM -- I didn't notice a big difference. This was about three months ago so it could have changed since then.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.