Sending in laptop for repairs, what about sensitive software?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
squirm

Sending in laptop for repairs, what about sensitive software?

Post by squirm »

My laptop is under warranty and is giving me issues. I will be sending it in for repairs. However I have sensitive data on it, such as my taxes, pictures etc. I also have installed software on it.
What should I do before shipping it out? I'd like to wipe it clean then restore all my software when it returns, but I'm not sure if the problems might come back after restoring it. So what should I do and which backup software are you using and do you have any other suggestions? We'll also be without a computer while it's gone. What a pain.
Noobvestor

Re: Sending in laptop for repairs, what about sensitive software?

Post by Noobvestor »

squirm wrote:My laptop is under warranty and is giving me issues. I will be sending it in for repairs. However I have sensitive data on it, such as my taxes, pictures etc. I also have installed software on it.
What should I do before shipping it out? I'd like to wipe it clean then restore all my software when it returns, but I'm not sure if the problems might come back after restoring it. So what should I do and which backup software are you using and do you have any other suggestions? We'll also be without a computer while it's gone. What a pain.
My own approach, for what it's worth: I don't worry about software but I do remove anything sensitive data-wise on the machine. I also generally keep my previous-generation computer around for just such occasions so I can still do work while my machine is in the shop (or in case it can't be repaired). So I would leave it intact software-wise, remove sensitive files and go from there.

Also, I spend the extra money to get next-day, on-site (in-house) service in case of problems when buying a new machine- this warranty costs me about 15% of the total computer's cost but has paid off so many times it has been more than worthwhile. I may be an unusual case, though, being the owner/operator of a small business who can't afford much if any downtime.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

You could clone the hard drive before you wipe it, then do a restore when it gets back. I suppose that if it was a virus or malware you could put the virus or malware back on, but i would guess you have run all the standard programs to look for those. Of course you would need an external hard drive and something like http://www.acronis.com/en-us/
Alternatively you could use a backup like carbonite for the data. http://www.carbonite.com/
Mike
wander

Post by wander »

You can send in without hard drive or with new blank one.
amd2135

Post by amd2135 »

wander wrote:You can send in without hard drive or with new blank one.
IBM/Lenovo has zero issues with sending in a laptop with no hard drive. I've done it twice. Not sure about others.

Just make sure the issues you're having aren't related to software or the drive though...

Always make a backup first if you do send it in. Even if you don't wipe it, they might for you.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

I have been in the IT industry for 25+ years. If I were in your shoes I would backup all of your documents and information you want to keep. Then restore the drive with the factory image, then send it in. This gives you an opportunity to start with a clean system when it is returned.

You dont say what sort of issue you are having is but if its related to the drive you may get back a different HDD, who knows depending on the warranty provisions you may get back a refurbished system in place of yours.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
JeffAL

Post by JeffAL »

Your sensitive data is not safe in this situation.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

The maintenance person will have ample opportunity to install a root kit, password sniffer, you name it. If you don't trust them you should never again trust the PC once they've touched it.
Topic Author
squirm

Post by squirm »

I'm having multiple issues with it, webcam light stays on (checked numerous times for viruses with different checkers, none found), touchpad sticks on pressed positions, locks up once a week.

I was into computers 10 years ago, but sorta lost interest, and fell behind in knowledge. First time I ever took one in four repairs, but its still under warranty. It's a Yoga, with win 8.1.

I like it...

Does windows 8, have good backup & recovery? I use external drives to copy critical files too. The backup software on the external drives are pathetic.

Thanks ask for the replies, writing this from my phone, so excuse any typos.