Buying iPhone 6 at full retail

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tbradnc

Buying iPhone 6 at full retail

Post by tbradnc »

I went to the Verizon store yesterday and asked to buy an iPhone 6. The sales person pulled up my account and asked me which upgrade I wanted to use. I told him I wanted to just buy the phone. There was about 5 seconds of silence and he explained to me how I could get the phone I wanted for $399 + tax if I used one of our available upgrades. I told him again I just wanted to buy the phone and skip the upgrade/contract stuff. He said ok and disappeared into the back.

7 minutes later a manager came out and asked if I was the customer who wanted to buy an iPhone at full retail. When I said I was, he pulled out a pad and proceeded to explain to me that if I would use their Verizon Edge program I could split the retail payments over 24 months and the $25 Edge discount would mostly pay for my phone. This was followed by a 6" long ream of addition, subtraction, and multiplication with a tally showing I would only be paying around $144 for a new iPhone 6 after the Edge discount.

I'm not going to say he was wrong and I missed getting a iPhone 6 for $144 instead of $749 but I didn't understand any of his calculations, told him so, and bought the phone outright at full retail.

Still not sure if I screwed up or not but historically whenever I've followed their suggestions to save money it turned out to cost more and/or lock me into some kind of contract.
Jcraz13

Re: Buying iPhone 6 at full retail

Post by Jcraz13 »

Unfortunately you will end up paying more. Their edge program is a clever way to get you into a new phone and pay monthly rather than buying outright....kind of like buying a car over six years instead of paying cash, you are paying more monthly...and they probably didn't tell you in additon to the phone you have to pay for the use of data montly to the tune of 40.00 to 50.00 depending on your plan.

Your only salvation may be you can prepay it early..I would go back to the same Verizon store, ask for the total cost breakdown (monthly and total, inclusive of all costs, and ask what monthly bill is) , and find out if it is better to pay cash outright (if you can) . Most phones have a 30 day window.

I have Verizon and they tried to talk me into this.
Topic Author
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

I did buy the phone outright and turned down the Edge offer.

My thinking was that Verizon isn't in the business of selling iPhones for $144... The full price of the phone has to be buried in there somewhere.
Topic Author
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

One PM later and a google search shows that I did indeed err by not taking the $25 discount...

http://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comment ... it_a_scam/

Live and learn!
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

Are you on a contract? It sounds like you are since the salesman asked which upgrade you want to use. If that is true (that you are on a contract), then it is probably the case that you should have used an upgrade. With a contract (where you get upgrades every two years), you are paying for the upgrade over time. That is how you can get a new phone at a discount when you upgrade. So, it seems that if you have an upgrade available and you are going to keep your contract as is, then you should have taken the upgrade.

I'm not on Verizon, so I can't comment on the Edge program. I'm on a conventional contract with ATT. When I got an iPhone 6, I think I paid $299. It probably would have cost $600+ if I had paid full retail (granted, I am paying something every month to subsidize my own upgrade, but I understand that). It would be silly of me to go into ATT or an Apple store and buy a new iPhone for full retail if I have upgrades available.

The bottom line is that if you have a conventional contract, you are already paying something each month towards a new phone in the future. If you buy a new phone for full retail rather than use that money that you have paid in ahead of time, then you have wasted the difference between the full retail price and the amount of money that you have paid in to subsidize the new phone.

The calculus is different if you are on a contract (or in a program) that does not subsidize your phone. In that case, you typically do pay full retail for new phone (or you get it some other way, like buying a used phone) and your monthly bill is less because it does not include the phone subsidy.

Good luck.
mikep

Post by mikep »

I have page plus. Can I expect success if I walk into a Verizon store and try to buy and iphone 6 at full retail?
Similarly my wife has cricket and same question for AT&T store?
Is it better to just get one from apple store?
Thanks.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

We've been researching upgrading from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 or 6 with our existing AT&T account.

Its a gigantic mess of dirty math and confusing documentation that I believe is intended to confuse and wear down customers into just shrugging their shoulders and just upgrading to whatever the salespeople are pushing.

Reddit threads seem to be the best place to find payment calculations.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

Take the phone to a verizon MVNO and you'll save more than the $25 that the "edge" program would save you.
Topic Author
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

Would be nice if there were some kind of way they would present these things in plain English without there being a hint of a shell game. 2 times I can plainly recall taking the advice of a Verizon rep to save money and both times my bill went up, not down.

I received a PM a few minutes after I started the topic and in 1 sentence the Verizon Edge offer that was made to me was explained.

I am stuck with Verizon because of coverage issues but I want all 4 of our lines to come off contract and when that happens I'll look for a Verizon MVNO to save money. I may have just paid full freight for an iPhone but that sucker is mine and I know my bill isn't going to change.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Buy online. As for it the discounts make sense to you, you have to run the math. Most of the programs save you a little money at the expense of being locked in.
mptness

Post by mptness »

tbradnc wrote:Would be nice if there were some kind of way they would present these things in plain English without there being a hint of a shell game. 2 times I can plainly recall taking the advice of a Verizon rep to save money and both times my bill went up, not down.

I received a PM a few minutes after I started the topic and in 1 sentence the Verizon Edge offer that was made to me was explained.

I am stuck with Verizon because of coverage issues but I want all 4 of our lines to come off contract and when that happens I'll look for a Verizon MVNO to save money. I may have just paid full freight for an iPhone but that sucker is mine and I know my bill isn't going to change.
Can you enlighten the rest of us with this 1 sentence explanation? I kind of assumed that Edge would benefit Verizon more than me, and end up costing me more.
Topic Author
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

randomguy wrote:Buy online. As for it the discounts make sense to you, you have to run the math. Most of the programs save you a little money at the expense of being locked in.
The problem is getting through the hype and marketing material to pull out the numbers in order to do the math. I understand there are people who excel at these scenarios - I'm not one of them.

If I were King, you'd buy the phone at full price and then purchase a talk/text/data plan. Yes, phones are expensive but I strongly suspect people would find a way to fund the purchase.

I suppose it's simpler if you walk in looking for your first phone and aren't already encumbered by having 4 lines, all in various forms of upgradeability and what not - some on contract, some not, etc.
Topic Author
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

mptness wrote:
tbradnc wrote:Would be nice if there were some kind of way they would present these things in plain English without there being a hint of a shell game. 2 times I can plainly recall taking the advice of a Verizon rep to save money and both times my bill went up, not down.

Can you enlighten the rest of us with this 1 sentence explanation? I kind of assumed that Edge would benefit Verizon more than me, and end up costing me more.
Assume iPhone price is $749.99 and the manager was estimating sales tax, etc. Recall that the manager's point was that I could let the Edge program pay for most of the phone with the $25 monthly subsidy (over 24 months) ultimately costing me only $144 for an iPhone 6.

Here then is an explanation: They give you $25 off if you use Edge. 25 x 24 months equals $600. $600 + 144 = $744.
mptness

Post by mptness »

tbradnc wrote:Assume iPhone price is $749.99 and the manager was estimating sales tax, etc. Recall that the manager's point was that I could let the Edge program pay for most of the phone with the $25 monthly subsidy (over 24 months) ultimately costing me only $144 for an iPhone 6.

Here then is an explanation: They give you $25 off if you use Edge. 25 x 24 months equals $600. $600 + 144 = $744.
So you can do this without renewing a contract? What if you change your mind after 6 months or a year?
batpot

Post by batpot »

nordlead wrote:Take the phone to a verizon MVNO and you'll save more than the $25 that the "edge" program would save you.
This. You already paid full retail; no point in throwing good money after bad.

And there was a recent thread on the topic:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=166152
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

$749 + tax = over $800 :oops: For. A. Phone. :oops:

Yes, edge is a rip-off as well. Lessor of two evils here.

I see no reason to spend more than $50 on a smartphone, but understand that VZW sometimes has the best coverage. I think you did right to not get edge, but should have found the phone on sale online, without tax.

I recently got my family to finally give up VZW and come over to Cricket with me. $50 moto E phones and $100/5 limes a month was too much to resist. Hopefully the coverage is workable for them.

Oh yeah and expanding a Moto E to 64 gb? Doesn't cost $100-200 like an iPhone - it costs $10-20 for a microSD card from Amazon.

Not an Apple or VZW fan.
bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster »

surfstar wrote:$749 + tax = over $800 :oops: For. A. Phone. :oops:

Yes, edge is a rip-off as well. Lessor of two evils here.

I see no reason to spend more than $50 on a smartphone, but understand that VZW sometimes has the best coverage. I think you did right to not get edge, but should have found the phone on sale online, without tax.

I recently got my family to finally give up VZW and come over to Cricket with me. $50 moto E phones and $100/5 limes a month was too much to resist. Hopefully the coverage is workable for them.

Oh yeah and expanding a Moto E to 64 gb? Doesn't cost $100-200 like an iPhone - it costs $10-20 for a microSD card from Amazon.

Not an Apple or VZW fan.
Some folks want a nicer phone than a Moto E. I see no problem with that.

To the OP - I haven't run the numbers but I find it hard to believe that Verizon is selling iphone 6's for 144 without a contract. If you sign a 2 year contract (which it sounds like the edge thing is), then I imagine you are paying quite a bit per month after this 25 dollar discount. But I'm too lazy to run the numbers, I avoid Verizon like the plague.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Define "nicer" ;)

$600 phones just rub my frugality the wrong way.

To each, their own.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

tbradnc wrote: 7 minutes later a manager came out and asked if I was the customer who wanted to buy an iPhone at full retail. When I said I was, he pulled out a pad and proceeded to explain to me that if I would use their Verizon Edge program I could split the retail payments over 24 months and the $25 Edge discount would mostly pay for my phone. This was followed by a 6" long ream of addition, subtraction, and multiplication with a tally showing I would only be paying around $144 for a new iPhone 6 after the Edge discount.
I sold phones for 7 years and done the 6" ream of addition, subtraction and multiplication more time than I can count, granted this was before the Edge or payment plan phones.The target consumer for the Edge program or any other phone payment plans is the person that wants to upgrade their phone every year. With the traditional 2 year contract and upgrade every 2 years, you can't do this.

If you don't need an upgrade every year, skip the plan and buy under contract. One thing I love about iPhones is that they don't add many features with each new model which minimize the "need" to upgrade. With my carrier Sprint, I can buy an 64gb iPhone 6 for $300 with a contract or 25/Month * 24 = $600 on their payment plan.

Buy it under contract for $300, throw a $80 lifeproof case on it to protect it and after the 2 years is up, but a new one and sell the existing on Craigslist for $200.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

mptness wrote:
tbradnc wrote:Assume iPhone price is $749.99 and the manager was estimating sales tax, etc. Recall that the manager's point was that I could let the Edge program pay for most of the phone with the $25 monthly subsidy (over 24 months) ultimately costing me only $144 for an iPhone 6.

So you can do this without renewing a contract? What if you change your mind after 6 months or a year?
You are essentially on a contract - you have to stay on long enough to make all the payments to pay for the phone.

tbradnc: If your whole point was to be UN-encumbered to a Verizon contract by paying full retail you have succeeded. If you went with EDGE - you would have been with Verizon similar to renewing a contract - you would have had to stay with them until the 2 year's worth of $25 payments where made. It would have been cheaper because in return to your commitment - you would get a line-discount. The reddit link posted above shows the examples of how the two programs are essentially equate to eachother (some loose change in EDGE's favor). They are likely pushing people towards EDGE to tempt phone payoffs with earlier upgrades. Personally - a new phone every 2 years is fine for me.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

For those who don't know, edge is like a contract on the phone. If you leave early, you owe the amount due in full. No additional ETF at least.

Since I finally convinced my DF and his DG to leave VZW, they will owe $800+ on their iPhones. I should be able to get $500-600 for them on Craigslist. New Moto E was $50ea at Cricket and they will be saving a good $100/month going forward. So in 4 months, they're even and they savings going forward. Over a two year period, it will be quite significant...
Topic Author
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

Something' else - I can sell my old phone, an iPhone 5s, and put that against what I paid for the iPhone 6. My iPhone 5s has been a life proof case since I got it and is in mint condition so I should be able to get top dollar.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I bought an Ipone 6 Plus in October, 2014 and use Verizon wireless. I paid $392.18 for the phone and have (I think) 2 year contract and pay about $62 per month.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

I think what you did only makes sense if you want to avoid a contract. If you sign the contract, they'll give you a discount on the phone.

If you're planning on staying with Verizon for the next 2 years anyway, signing the contract is worth it to get the discount.

Not too late to return the phone or just call Verizon and try to get it implemented retroactively.
NorthDakota

Post by NorthDakota »

I bought a iPhone 6 Plus on craigslist for $580 and pay $32 flat a month through Harbor Mobile (T-Mobile). I have seen no better deal anywhere. I understand T-Mobile does not work everywhere but for my area it works fantastic.
My points and miles blog: thriftytraveler.com
ronako

Post by ronako »

Just to throw in a different perspective...if you can buy a phone outright, then go for it. Be sure to charge it on your credit card because then your credit card will cover a 2nd year of warranty for free. If you buy a phone through the 'Edge' or some other monthly payment program, you won't be able to get a free 2nd year warranty.

A top of the line phone that your buy through a carrier is never just $200 or even $300. You are actually paying the full cost of the phone over time which is baked into your monthly service rates.

P.S. I think they do a credit check too for the 'Edge' program.
bgrpph

Post by bgrpph »

i got my 1st smart phone in 2/14 (i phone 5S) from verizon- 2 yr contract phone was $199- (got upgrade fee waived)- they had special then with new contract/phone I received $199 gift card which I used to pay verizon bill- Received new Iphone 5S for 0 after credit with 2 yr contract. Decent- i thought-
Also took advantage & changed plans to the single $60 monthly plan with 2gb data, unlimited talk/text- Got this for both wife & I- total bill is $120 + tax- It's still cheaper than any of their existing plans for us.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

If this event is still within 10 days, you can probably go back and do buyer's remorse and go back on the EDGE plan. I returned two iphone 6 from ATT after finding out my in law wanted to go back to Asia for 6 months and I couldn't unlock it.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

tbradnc wrote:Something' else - I can sell my old phone, an iPhone 5s, and put that against what I paid for the iPhone 6. My iPhone 5s has been a life proof case since I got it and is in mint condition so I should be able to get top dollar.
If you're not planning to leave Verizon anytime soon, why would you want to avoid the new contract? You would likely maintain your same rate plan and your bill would not change. You would be locked into an iPhone 6 for 2 years (a great phone).

Did I miss where you explained that you needed to avoid extending your contract? It seems like you might have thrown some money away.

You do have an opportunity to return a phone for a limited time. I may head back to the VZW store.
Topic Author
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

We have 4 lines with Verizon now... The reason I want to own the phone outright is because we have 2 off contract and 2 that are coming off contract this year.

I'd like to be unencumbered by contracts so that I can really-seriously-I'm-not-kidding look into a Verizon MVNO.....
ne2ca28

Post by ne2ca28 »

tbradnc wrote:One PM later and a google search shows that I did indeed err by not taking the $25 discount...

http://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comment ... it_a_scam/

Live and learn!
Verizon may have a 14 day return policy and you can just return and rebuy with the discount plan. We have AT&T, I bought my wife the iPhone 6 and paid in full because I didn't want to deal with the monthly payment. We still do the 10gb plan (shared with a few other lines in the family) and get the $25 discount.

We all switched from the contract plan to the 10gb shared plan with AT&T and it was a significant savings.
anakinskywalker

Post by anakinskywalker »

Buying a phone should not be this complicated. I think even buying a house does not involve so much complexity in the decision-tree analysis. Vote with your feet and avoid participating in something that is clearly not set up in a way that facilitates clear communication, and honesty on the part of salespeople.

Just don't buy from Verizon until they figure out how to make their product pricing less complex. I hold a PhD in an advanced scientific discipline and think about very complex problems all the time, as do many others on here I'm sure, but life is short and perhaps should not be wasted on trying to figure out Verizon's BS.

My apologies if this does not help solve OP's problem, but my post is intended to be constructive. When a game is clearly rigged, the best move is not to play. Stay outside the box Verizon is trying to put you in. Live your life. Go with Airvoice or Page Plus or one of the other MVNO's that are trying to make an honest living in the cellphone business.

Anakin
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I too got totally fed up with the intentional complexity of these pricing schemas for the major cell carriers.

Ditched my ATT / iphone just recently for Republic Wireless and their $25/month cell plan with good 3g cell wireless service. I bought their flagship Moto X phone for exactly what they list it as on the website, no strings attached ($400 - most people on RW though sport for the more price-effective midrange phones which are $200.)

My bill is super simple, and there's no buyers remorse for wondering if I got tricked into a bad deal. I'm sincerely hoping these upstart small carriers force the big players to change their game into a more honest schema - I was honestly more fed up with their dishonest-seeming billing practices and inconsistency than anything else, and having a reliable bill/plan that's totally transparent on RW has been one of the biggest improvements in my cell phone satisfaction, even above the low cost.
amd2135

Post by amd2135 »

lightheir wrote:Ditched my ATT / iphone just recently for Republic Wireless and their $25/month cell plan with good 3g cell wireless service.
This is the way to do it. I couldn't imagine ever signing another contract. I purchased the flagship Lumia Icon for ~$200 refurbished and brought it to Page Plus for $26.95/month autopaid with a dealer discount. There are zero taxes or fees of any kind on top of that number. The SIM was only $0.01 shipped and the dealer activated for free with a large discount on the service for that month.

This gets me Verizon LTE with the option of roaming from a small cash balance I maintain on the account. 1200 minutes, 3000 texts, 500MB of data. I only ever use 75-200MB of data due to WiFi being practically everywhere so it works great for me. Larger plans are available of course.

My phone says Verizon on it everywhere- including "Verizon LTE" in the status bar. It IS Verizon without the headache. The only con I've seen is throttled data to 5mbps down/3mbps up but it's still so fast I don't even notice. That and the lack of visual voicemail- meh.