Cheapest host to buy and sponsor a domain name?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
HenryPorter

Cheapest host to buy and sponsor a domain name?

Post by HenryPorter » Tue May 26, 2015 10:48 pm

I have a domain I want to register and use in the future for a site. What are some suggested host services I should use for it?

pinhead

Re: Cheapest host to buy and sponsor a domain name?

Post by pinhead » Tue May 26, 2015 10:56 pm

Godaddy is reliable and good.

You can sometimes buy a domain for $1 and hosting is around $15 a year during promotions.

Renewal is around $13 for domain name and $88 a year for hosting (approx)

renue74

Post by renue74 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:57 pm

Godaddy or Namecheap for domain name registration.

Super cheap.

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Tue May 26, 2015 11:26 pm

OnFire

Post by OnFire » Wed May 27, 2015 12:49 am

I used GoDaddy for my website photography business. After I got married and had kids I couldn't keep up the business. I let it lapse, and after a few calls from them where I politely declined to re-up their service, it was OBVIOUS GoDaddy sold my name, phone number and address to every dirty pimp who who have them to make a buck on me. I got calls on my cell (I listed it on my site, didn't have a landline at the time-they must have lifted it from there) from at least to two dozen people/companies trying to sell things to Unforgettable Photographs in the last five years. And at least 50 pieces of mail. I'm sure I'm still in their database making them a few pennies when all my criteria match some advertisers wish list. You've been warned.
Where are all the customers yachts? | | “The most powerful force in the Universe is compound interest.” -Albert Einstein

Watts

Post by Watts » Wed May 27, 2015 6:40 am

I used to use godaddy, but got tired with them constantly trying to sell me things I didn't need. I switched all of my domain names to namecheap a few years ago and have been happy!

FuyuKei

Post by FuyuKei » Wed May 27, 2015 8:38 am

GoDaddy with a coupon. Just google for the coupon.

Keep in mind that a domain is different than a hosting service. A domain is just the name of your website. You need a hosting service to actually hold the data/information of your website. The domain points to wherever the website is hosted.

JDofAZ

Post by JDofAZ » Wed May 27, 2015 9:54 am

I've been switching from godaddy to google domains. Google seems to charge a flat $12 but godaddy was up to $18 (for .org I think).

google also throws in gmail forwarding and a very basic website for free.

https://domains.google.com

HalfMillionaire

Post by HalfMillionaire » Wed May 27, 2015 11:18 am

Godaddy is cheap but very painful in the long run with all the calls and sales tactics. If you are planning to host then it makes sense to register at the same place as hosting provider - they will register for free in some cases. I am currently with dreamhost and they have been fine so far.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Wed May 27, 2015 12:40 pm

I've used these folks for years and like them: <http://www.omnis.com/>

biquet

Post by biquet » Wed May 27, 2015 12:54 pm

I'm using name.com for domain registration ($10.99/year for a .com or .org domain, different rates for other TLDs). For web hosting, I use Lithium Hosting's economy plan at $1.95/month. No complaints about either service.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Wed May 27, 2015 12:57 pm

I use Namecheap.com for my domain hosting (mostly for e-mail forwarding, I don't have a website.)
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

magellan

Post by magellan » Thu May 28, 2015 8:48 am

OnFire wrote:... it was OBVIOUS GoDaddy sold my name, phone number and address to every dirty pimp who who have them to make a buck on me. I got calls on my cell (I listed it on my site, didn't have a landline at the time-they must have lifted it from there) from at least to two dozen people/companies trying to sell things to Unforgettable Photographs in the last five years. And at least 50 pieces of mail. I'm sure I'm still in their database making them a few pennies when all my criteria match some advertisers wish list. You've been warned.
It's possible that's godaddy is behind some of the junk mail, but I'd bet anything that most the stuff you're getting it isn't from godaddy.

Did you purchase private domain registration for your site? If you didn't do private registration, your site ownership details are publicly available third party marketers. Also, website crawlers automatically gather information from websites to sell to marketers.

Even if you've opted out of junkmail at home with your name and put yourself on the do not call list, I think you need to opt-out separately in your business name to stop business solicitations. I can't remember if this is an FTC thing or if business opt-out is voluntary through the direct mail marketing association. I researched this a few years ago and taking the recommended steps dramatically reduced my business junk solicitations. Stopping spam phone calls and email is nearly impossible because the spammers are very good at evading US laws.

magellan

Post by magellan » Thu May 28, 2015 8:57 am

HalfMillionaire wrote:If you are planning to host then it makes sense to register at the same place as hosting provider - they will register for free in some cases. I am currently with dreamhost and they have been fine so far.
I volunteer with SCORE and over the years I've helped several small business clients move their hosting/domain registration to a new provider. Overall, I've found that 'free domain with hosting' places are usually more trouble than they're worth. They all will hand over the domain in the end, but they seem to go out of their way to make it a headache, all the while trying to convince you to stick with them.

IMO, the best approach is to use a well-known provider like godaddy that keeps domain registration separate from hosting service, or use a dedicated domain name registration provider like namecheap.

Whatever you do it's usually worth it to buy the domain for as long as you can when you sign up since that's usually when you'll get the best deal.