5000 btu open window air conditioner

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
pablolo

5000 btu open window air conditioner

Post by pablolo » Mon May 25, 2015 11:31 am

I don't subscribe to consumers digest so I am asking if anyone has the best picks for a new 2015 5000 btu window air conditioner.Thank you

ralph124cf

Re: 5000 btu open window air conditioner

Post by ralph124cf » Mon May 25, 2015 1:58 pm

Consumers Reports rated GE AEM05LS as #1 in the 5,000-6,500 BTU range. There was a three way tie for #2, GE AEM06LS
GE AEH06LS
GE AEL06LS.

Ralph

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Mon May 25, 2015 11:08 pm

To add to Ralph's reply

AEM05LS 5,450btu 11.4 EER

The model numbers differences for the others just refer to distribution channel. The specs are exactly the same.

AEH06LS 6,050btu 11.2 EER $179.00 Sam's Club
AEL06LS 6,050btu 11.2 EER $179.00 Home Depot
AEM06LS 6,050btu 11.2 EER Discontinued
AEZ06LS 6,050btu 11.2 EER $169.00 Walmart

You will find that the AEM05LS is harder to find and will be more expensive then the '06' models. Go up the 600btus and save yourself some money.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Tue May 26, 2015 12:41 am

The air condition will cool the room faster if you close the window rather than if you keep open the window. :wink:
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

Archie Sinclair

Post by Archie Sinclair » Tue May 26, 2015 9:06 pm

I recommend the Commando 8. Why settle for 5,000 BTUs when you can have 12,000 BTUs? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJLvqdum6-E

segfault

Post by segfault » Wed May 27, 2015 9:09 am

What size room? The 5,000 btu models are not very powerful. I have a single room upstairs in my Cape Cod style house, about 220 square feet. Most calculators recommend a 6,000 btu window unit, but I found that to be inadequate (it kept the room somewhat comfortable but took a very long time to cool off during the evening). Returned that and got an 8,000 btu model, which is much better and still not overpowering. So, if you are cooling a second floor room, you may want to consider a larger model.

I got a Frigidaire. The 6,000 btu model was loud and vibrated a lot, but the 8,000 btu model is a lot quieter.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed May 27, 2015 10:21 am

segfault wrote:What size room? The 5,000 btu models are not very powerful. I have a single room upstairs in my Cape Cod style house, about 220 square feet. Most calculators recommend a 6,000 btu window unit, but I found that to be inadequate (it kept the room somewhat comfortable but took a very long time to cool off during the evening). Returned that and got an 8,000 btu model, which is much better and still not overpowering. So, if you are cooling a second floor room, you may want to consider a larger model.

I got a Frigidaire. The 6,000 btu model was loud and vibrated a lot, but the 8,000 btu model is a lot quieter.
A couple of points. First, if this was a typical Cape Code style house with second floor knee walls with/without dormers, they tend to have higher losses on that second floor. Second, a properly sized A/C is important and many people do not understand that bigger is not always better.

A properly sized A/C should run almost continuously at its sized temperature. In fact, in the 2%-5% hottest days it should run continuously and not quite keep up. You like it 72F and it is sized for a 30 degree differential, but there are a couple of days that go to 105. On those days it will only be able to keep the house 75F, but at that temperature running continuously it will have full humidity control and feel pretty good.

An oversized A/C might have a quicker recovery, but will have far shorter cycles. This will be true on moderately hot, high humidity days and it will not run sufficiently long to remove the humidity. Depending on climate and load factors (windows, insulation, etc...) 220 sq. ft. might be stretching a 6K unit. So a 8K unit might be required. However, this would not likely be a good choice in lighter load factors and < 200 sq. ft.

People have it in their mind that a unit running continuously is a bad thing. This is only true if it can't keep up (except those previously mentioned couple of hottest days). A oversized short cycling unit that doesn't remove humidity will be a far worse problem than a unit that allows the temp to raise a couple of degrees on the hottest couple of days.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:08 am

According to what I read (mainly Consumer Reports), you do not want to have a room air conditioner of a higher capacity than what is needed to satisfactorially cool the room.

magellan

Post by magellan » Thu May 28, 2015 7:43 pm

IMO, choosing the right size for a window ac unit depends on how you plan to use it. If you tend to maintain a steady temperature, it is important that the unit's capacity is well matched to the heat gain of the room for reasons other posters have mentioned.

OTOH, window units are often used very differently. If you usually come home from work to an 80-85 degree room and want a unit that can quickly make it comfortable, you'll probably be happier with an oversized unit. Sure, the oversized unit won't do as well at maintaining steady temperature and humidity levels, but that's not how you're using it. Even a seriously oversized window unit will have no problem drying out the air in the process of cooling down a well overheated room.

ElJay

Post by ElJay » Thu May 28, 2015 8:09 pm

I bought a GE AEL06LS last year and I like it. I think its Energy Star rating was off the chart (in a good way). It's not too noisy and it is a lot lighter than a 10 year old Frigidaire I have. I use the timer option on it regulary both to turn it on before I get home or to shut it off in the night. The only annoying thing is that every time you turn it on, it goes to some energy saving mode that cycles the fan off after the compressor stops; I think that is an Energy Star requirement now.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Thu May 28, 2015 10:01 pm

magellan wrote:IMO, choosing the right size for a window ac unit depends on how you plan to use it. If you tend to maintain a steady temperature, it is important that the unit's capacity is well matched to the heat gain of the room for reasons other posters have mentioned.

OTOH, window units are often used very differently. If you usually come home from work to an 80-85 degree room and want a unit that can quickly make it comfortable, you'll probably be happier with an oversized unit. Sure, the oversized unit won't do as well at maintaining steady temperature and humidity levels, but that's not how you're using it. Even a seriously oversized window unit will have no problem drying out the air in the process of cooling down a well overheated room.
Oversizing a unit for a quick recovery rate is still an oversized unit for normal operation. It is totally unnecessary with modern units. Most units with electronic controls have a timer feature. This allows you to set the unit to come on in sufficient time to cool the space by the time you come home.

segfault

Post by segfault » Fri May 29, 2015 11:50 am

I think slightly oversizing a unit is desirable depending upon how you intend to use it. In my own case, I don't plan to use the unit every day (thus, humidity will not be controlled at all on the days when it's not used), so using a timer with a "correctly" sized unit would not help, and based upon what I saw with the 6,000 btu unit, on a hot day, it would have run continuously for 6 hours or more (and the room would still not be completely comfortable). I guess my point is that if a smaller unit is in any way borderline in its cooling capacity, go with a larger unit.

My room probably "needs" a 6,500-7,000 btu unit. I would not buy a 10,000 btu unit just to have a quicker recovery rate, but the 8,000 btu unit sure does a great job of cooling the room down quickly on the days I need it cooled down.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 29, 2015 12:08 pm

[quote="magellan" Even a seriously oversized window unit will have no problem drying out the air in the process of cooling down a well overheated room.[/quote]

Are you sure this is true? I've read a few times in the past if you oversize too much - the unit will cool down the room to the desired temperature and shut off BEFORE it removes all the humidity resulting a room that is cool but damp.

magellan

Post by magellan » Fri May 29, 2015 12:49 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
magellan wrote:Even a seriously oversized window unit will have no problem drying out the air in the process of cooling down a well overheated room.
Are you sure this is true? I've read a few times in the past if you oversize too much - the unit will cool down the room to the desired temperature and shut off BEFORE it removes all the humidity resulting a room that is cool but damp.
As long as you typically let the room get very warm, say while you're at work, the unit will run continuously for an hour or two when you get home and that will be enough to bring the humidity level down.

Humidity control problems are typically caused by short-cycling the compressor. The reason is that humidity is removed most effectively when the ac unit's evaporator coils reach their lowest design temp (say 40-50 degrees F). That takes a while to happen at the start of a cycle. During the time the coils are coolish but not at their coldest, some cooling btus are pumped into the room, but since the coils aren't cold enough to condense moisture, no humidity is removed. Also, when the compressor stops at the end of a cycle, the unit's fan typically runs for a while to push the remaining btus of coldness out of the coils and into the room. During this end of cycle phase, you again get a situation where cooling btus are being pumped into the room but the coils are too warm to dehumidify.