Put money down on new car, dealer wants color change

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retire2044

Put money down on new car, dealer wants color change

Post by retire2044 »

We recently put $1000 earnest money down to purchase a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder. We had reached a price agreement for the new vehicle, and the money allowed them to finalize the search for the vehicle we requested. The dealer has informed me he cannot get the color my wife wanted. My wife was set on this color, especially since the last vehicle we purchased 4 years ago had the same thing happen and she was talked into a different color. Is this common? These are the only two vehicles we have every bought new. Can we cancel the deal with this dealer? If we could agree to switch colors, what would you ask for in return? Money off original price, other options, nothing?? We were too nice I feel the first time this happened and did not get anything in return, but my wife has never cared for the color of her current vehicle. I realize color of a car is such a first world problem, but if my wife isn't happy, I'm not going to be happy! Thanks for any tips!
texasdiver

Re: Put money down on new car, dealer wants color change

Post by texasdiver »

Pick up the phone and call around.

Maybe he is right and there are none with the features you want in that color to be had. Or maybe there are and the dealer just doesn't want to go through the hassle or cost of getting one brought in.

But unless you call around to some other dealers you won't know what your options really are.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I would never put earnest money down. If they want to sell me a car, that will get what I want with no earnest money.

You should either get your money back in full or ask for a discount that you feel is appropriate for not getting your color. Only you can decide what is an appropriate discount for not getting the color you want. Of course you could stand firm on the color and wait until they find it.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

retire2044 wrote: ... We had reached a price agreement for the new vehicle, and the money allowed them to finalize the search for the vehicle we requested.
I've never heard of having to put down money for a dealer to search for the vehicle you want. Ask for your money back, unless you are willing to accept a different color. Also, are there other options/features you are willing to give up in order to have the right color?
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

the last 2 cars i bought i checked out the inventory of every dealer in town online. you should be able to easily find out if your car in the color you want is available.

my "guess" is that it probably isn't available in town. i'm also "guessing" that you can find the car at an out of town dealership. that is going to have transportation costs that the dealer doesn't want to pay. so i'm "guessing" that you either accept the color you want at the agreed upon price or get the car at an out of town dealer and pay extra for delivery or go get it yourself. getting it yourself would mean you get to negotiate all over again. :)

i buy a car about every 10 years and if it was me i'd be looking out of town.

edit: i agree with the above comments re earnest money. dealer lied in my opinion for the purpose of getting your business.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

This is why its better to do a Factory Order when possible.
Not sure if that's feasible with a Pathfinder.
Where's it made?
Attempted new signature...
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

The internet is your friend.

The last time I bought a new car the dealer told me that the option combination I wanted was not made. I found exactly what I wanted a couple of hundred miles out of town, negotiated online, and picked up the next weekend.

Ralph
bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster »

The dealer is more than able to get you the color you want. He's trying to get rid of his inventory before he purchases a different vehicle for you. In the future I wouldn't give any car dealer money until you are about to drive the car off the lot.

Good Luck!
Last edited by bertie wooster on Thu May 21, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

bertie wooster wrote:The dealer is more than able to get you the color he wants. He's trying to get rid of his inventory before he purchases a different vehicle for you. In the future I wouldn't give any car dealer money until you are about to drive the car off the lot.

Good Luck!
This.

The color is certainly available, whether it's ordered directly from the manufacturer (assuming it is not too late in the model year) or traded/acquired from another dealer. Sometimes regional dealer associations prevent certain combinations but that usually has to do with features and options rather than specific exterior colors. But there is nothing stopping your dealer from acquiring outside the area. In fact, if you put down money to do it, I would insist on either a factory order or the right color. In the future, as bertie says, I would not put any money down whatsoever unless you have a confirmed factory order with a confirmation number and anticipated delivery date. The dealer is in business to sell cars--it's not like you're doing him a favor by being a customer. It is not your responsibility to give him money to show you're serious.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

bertie wooster wrote:The dealer is more than able to get you the color he wants. He's trying to get rid of his inventory before he purchases a different vehicle for you. In the future I wouldn't give any car dealer money until you are about to drive the car off the lot.
+999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I too think the dealer may be trying to get rid of his inventory - the next model will be out in not too long.

You should be able to use the internet to find out if the vehicle you want is available and where. Chances are it is available, but not close and they don't want to pay transportation.

No way I would accept a color I didn't want if what they have to offer is black or navy or some other dark color. It really does make a big difference in the summer in my experience. And red cars and dark cars just disappear at night - wouldn't want that.

Color may be a first world problem, but it does matter and it matters every time she drives it. She should have what she wants or some very large discount that I'm sure they will not give.
DualIncomeNoDebt

Post by DualIncomeNoDebt »

retire2044 wrote:We recently put $1000 earnest money down to purchase a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder. We had reached a price agreement for the new vehicle, and the money allowed them to finalize the search for the vehicle we requested.
Never do this.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Are you anywhere near Maryland? Seems like Carmax has every color imaginable right now...

http://www.carmax.com/search?D=50&zip=2 ... age&ADc=60
JohnF

Post by JohnF »

Do an advanced search on cars.com to find the dealers that have the vehicle you’re interested in.
Hikes_With_Dogs

Post by Hikes_With_Dogs »

Earnest money for a car?? Never heard of such a thing. You got taken. Get your money back and go somewhere else.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

I've never heard of a dealer having to conduct a search .... we bought our new car and they didn't have the color and they called a dealer out of state and had it delivered in a few days. The whole calling the other dealer took maybe 5 minutes.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

I *think* cars.com shows actual inventory and you can select some options as well as the radius in which to search. Might be worth a few minutes to see if you can find your car, then you could call the listed dealer to confirm specifics. That may allow you to call your dealer's bluff, so to speak.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

greg24 wrote:
+999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
+1 Call up the manufacturer if you have to and find out if the color is available. If the dealer continues to state they can't get you that color car, call back the manufacturer's head office and complain. Then see about either getting the car with the color you want or get your money back.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

A good strategy guide for buying a new car: http://tellmethebest.com/car-deal.html
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster »

To the OP - buying cars sucks so don't feel bad if you are not able to get all of your money back. You've learned a lesson about giving a dealer money before the purchase, consider it tuition.

Everyone on this board has paid this kind of tuition in various walks of our financial life. That's why we post here - to help other folks out!
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

retire2044 wrote:...My wife was set on this color, especially since the last vehicle we purchased 4 years ago had the same thing happen and she was talked into a different color. Is this common? These are the only two vehicles we have every bought new. Can we cancel the deal with this dealer? If we could agree to switch colors, what would you ask for in return? Money off original price, other options, nothing?? We were too nice I feel the first time this happened and did not get anything in return, but my wife has never cared for the color of her current vehicle.
1. This happens all the time. I've never caved in, although most dealers have been relatively frank saying they are trying to move the car for inventory reasons. There are plenty of fish in the sea. If you or your wife aren't happy with the color, get your money back and shop elsewhere. I doubt you'll have much difficulty finding another seller in no-time.
2. Color of car is important to me. Any car I buy has to be black (though I guess I'd be ok with a Ferrari in red :mrgreen: ). With the dollars involved with buying any car, you better believe I'd only accept my first color choice or I walk.
3. I never put money down unless I am driving out of the dealership that day with the purchased car.
4. If you do decide to walk... consider a recently preowned car. 2014 Pathfinder is the same car.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

bertie wooster wrote:To the OP - buying cars sucks so don't feel bad if you are not able to get all of your money back. You've learned a lesson about giving a dealer money before the purchase, consider it tuition.

Everyone on this board has paid this kind of tuition in various walks of our financial life. That's why we post here - to help other folks out!
No money has been lost yet.
If the situation got closer to that, I'd check with my state attorney general's office regarding this...
Attempted new signature...
Dolphin1

Post by Dolphin1 »

We had this happen too. You can request the earnest money back at any time, at least that was the case with our local dealer. Our dealer didn't give us any trouble getting the earnest money back, since he knew he was unable to provide what we had agreed upon. We eventually found the same vehicle in the desired color, but it was at a dealership that would not "trade" it to our dealer, so we purchased it directly from that other dealership, in a different city.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

bertie wooster wrote:To the OP - buying cars sucks so don't feel bad if you are not able to get all of your money back. You've learned a lesson about giving a dealer money before the purchase, consider it tuition.

Scr@w that! If they didn't immediately give me my money back, I'd go postal (figuratively, not literally). They agreed to find said color and model of car. The seller better find it and deliver or I'd threaten to get my attorney involved.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

The Wizard wrote:This is why its better to do a Factory Order when possible.
Where's it made?
There are two problems with that.

First, this is probably to late in the model year for special orders. Generally, if you wish to order a vehicle, it is better to do it before February or March or to wait until they are taking orders for the next model year.

Second, especially if the model is produced abroad, you can wait for up to 12 weeks for the vehicle to arrive and be delivered. That would keep most individual buyers away.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Get your $1,000 back and walk away. You might find the vehicle in your color shows up very quickly.

When there is demand, dealers have no incentive to do a dealer trade. Many times they don't even take the calls.

I said if I don't have the vehicle we want with the color and options by noon Friday we are walking away. The vehicle was there on Thursday night.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

StormShadow wrote: Scr@w that! If they didn't immediately give me my money back, I'd go postal (figuratively, not literally).
Nah, do it literally. Start corresponding by mail. Once they send a lie through the USPS you can threaten them with a mail fraud complaint. :twisted:
Topic Author
retire2044

Post by retire2044 »

Thanks for all the replies. I had a bad feeling I was getting taken somehow, but I wasn't sure why. To make things worse, I had to put money down in a similar fashion when we bought her previous car. :oops:

I have talked to three other Nissan dealerships within 3 hours of us. The dealer we are currently dealing with gave the highest trade-in price for our current vehicle and was also the lowest final price for the new Pathfinder. This took awhile to get to this point, numerous phone and email conversations.

We finally settled on a certain color with options we wanted, including rear tv's for the kids. I know kids have all their portable devices, but for this vehicle we wanted something fixed in the car. Apparently, the entertainment system is what complicates things for the color we wanted.

The sales guy called me tonight and offered $1000 off agreed upon price and throw in some all weather floor mats. I plan on emailing the other dealers I have talked to an see if they can compete. I appreciate all the advice. The poster that mentioned this is just the cost of tuition was probably right on the money in this case. At least I will have something else to put on the stupid financial decisions thread (not that I needed more).
Last edited by retire2044 on Fri May 22, 2015 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
theduke

Post by theduke »

I recently purchased a car over the internet. I told the dealer what color and other options that I wanted. When he found the vehicle, then I negotiated the price on it. At that point I put a down payment on it and they got the vehicle from another dealer.
TexasPenny

Post by TexasPenny »

What's the rush? Why not just wait until the 2016s are available for order and then just order exactly what you want? We just went through this with husband's Audi S3. They were no longer taking orders for 2015 and we couldn't find exactly what he wanted in available inventory. So we just put an order in for 2016 and expect it in August.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

The dealer told me they had looked all over but couldn't find my 1st color choice, but they could get me my second color choice. So I said okay. When I went to pick it up, I had to wait while they washed an incredible amount of dirt off the car. (They claimed it had been at a dealership on the Coast.)
After I got the car home, I discovered that it did not have a sticker indicating it had 2nd generation air bags (this was in 1998 when 2nd gen air bags were being phased in) even though the dealer had signed a form indicating they had explained the safety equipment -- including the 2nd gen air bags. It was then that I realized this was the very same car -- not just the same model but the same car -- I had checked out almost a year before when I first thought about getting a new car. It was an early-in-the-model-year car, with 1st gen air bags and had been sitting on a lot getting covered with dust and dirt.
Because they had misled me about the car being equipped with 2nd gen air bags, they had to take it back. (That and being interviewed by the local TV consumer reporter.) And guess what! Miracle of miracles: they immediately found the same car, with 2nd gen air bags, in my first color choice. Clearly they had seen me as an opportunity to move some stale product off the lot.

[Note: As a short person who sits close to the steering wheel, I was very leery about air bags. When I read that 2nd gen air bags were safer for shorties, I decided I was ready to get a new car. And I had said that to the salesman.]
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

GerryL wrote:The dealer told me they had looked all over but couldn't find my 1st color choice, but they could get me my second color choice. So I said okay. When I went to pick it up, I had to wait while they washed an incredible amount of dirt off the car. (They claimed it had been at a dealership on the Coast.)
After I got the car home, I discovered that it did not have a sticker indicating it had 2nd generation air bags (this was in 1998 when 2nd gen air bags were being phased in) even though the dealer had signed a form indicating they had explained the safety equipment -- including the 2nd gen air bags. It was then that I realized this was the very same car -- not just the same model but the same car -- I had checked out almost a year before when I first thought about getting a new car. It was an early-in-the-model-year car, with 1st gen air bags and had been sitting on a lot getting covered with dust and dirt.
Because they had misled me about the car being equipped with 2nd gen air bags, they had to take it back. (That and being interviewed by the local TV consumer reporter.) And guess what! Miracle of miracles: they immediately found the same car, with 2nd gen air bags, in my first color choice. Clearly they had seen me as an opportunity to move some stale product off the lot.

[Note: As a short person who sits close to the steering wheel, I was very leery about air bags. When I read that 2nd gen air bags were safer for shorties, I decided I was ready to get a new car. And I had said that to the salesman.]
Wow, what a sleazy dealership!

I was in the position of needing to find a car immediately after my old car was totaled. This limited me to cars on the lot and not a whole lot of time to monkey around. Since it was October, there were both 2010 and 2011 vehicles on the lot. I was fine with a 2010 for the price break, but wanted specific features and didn't want some of the color choices. The salesman first tried to push me towards a different model in which they were overstocked, rather than the one I wanted. Then he wasn't keen to look for cars with the features/colors I wanted at other dealerships.

I was dealing with the dealership that most convenient to my house for servicing, but there were several other dealerships within an hour's drive. I looked up inventories online and found basically what I wanted elsewhere locally and gave him an opportunity to get it for me. I also got some internet quotes from the other area dealers on the vehicles in their inventory for price comparison.

Once they know you mean business and are ready to walk if necessary, car salesmen will usually put the effort into getting the sale. But they certainly don't see any downside into trying for the easy sale. And by agreeing to put down earnest money on the car, the OP probably labeled himself as a neophyte buyer. Unless there are waiting lists for a specific model and a backlog at the factory, earnest money is not the norm for car purchases.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

I took a different color when I bought my car 40 years ago. I like my car, but I still think about that other color occasionally.

I hope you get your money back.
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

My parents, then in their 80s, were talked into giving a dealer some "hand" money when they were considering a new car a few years back. They really didn't need a new car at all, but somehow were at the dealer, maybe for service or something. My brother in law who lives closer and is a lawyer retrieved the deposit for them. I agree with the comments about never doing this (giving earnest money up front).

I use auto trader or cars.com to look for cars when I'm shopping. It takes a bit of time, but its worked out very well, and you can be very specific usually on exactly what options and colors your searching for. I bought my last vehicle from a dealer 2 hours away, since it was one of only a handful in this part of the country. Found it, sent an email asking if they'd sell it for x dollars, got a call back that they would, and drove up to pick it up. They even fixed a problem with the insurance company being closed on that saturday so I could drive it back home. Total time from my initial email to driving away in the car was about seven hours, two of which were spend driving up, one getting all the paperwork done, and the rest doing other stuff unrelated to the purchase.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

retire2044 wrote:We recently put $1000 earnest money down to purchase a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder.
I've bought 4 cars brand new (pre-boglehead I know I know) and never put down earnest money!

When I buy a car, color falls into 3 categories, for example on my last purchase:

1. Want (Silver,White)
2. Can live with (Black)
3. Hate (maroon, blue)

If the color is in the hate category, I would get my money back and walk.

If the color was in the can live with category, I'd buy, but only at a better deal than the same car in the want category.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

ddurrett896 wrote:
retire2044 wrote:We recently put $1000 earnest money down to purchase a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder.
I've bought 4 cars brand new (pre-boglehead I know I know) and never put down earnest money!

When I buy a car, color falls into 3 categories, for example on my last purchase:

1. Want (Silver,White)
2. Can live with (Black)
3. Hate (maroon, blue)

If the color is in the hate category, I would get my money back and walk.

If the color was in the can live with category, I'd buy, but only at a better deal than the same car in the want category.
Never own black, the dirt shows quickly. I learned this the hard way.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I buy my cars new - realizing a pay a premium doing so - I always insist on getting the color I want. After all - part of the joy of buying a new car is picking out things like the color. I've had dealers try do this to me with nearly every new car I've tried to buy in the last 20 years. They first try to sell you what is on the lot - they then try to sell you what they can easily get. If another dealer has the car somewhere else in the area (even neighboring states) they have to horse-trade to get it - and they don't like to do that - but they will if you insist.
Tell them you want the color you asked for and if they can't do you it you will go elsewhere.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

retire2044 wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I had a bad feeling I was getting taken somehow, but I wasn't sure why.
I'm not sure yet that you have been taken.

It is possible they need to know your "earnestness" before they go to the trouble of trying to find the car you want. They may have experienced a lot of people who don't end up buying what they have paid money to look for and transfer in.

However, if it was earnest money, it shows that you are ernest about buying something if they find what you want. They have not found what you want. It seems to me you should be able to get your money back.

Have they actually told you they will not give back all of your money?

The salesperson seems to want to sell you a car. The deal sounds fair if your wife will be happy with it. If she truly will not be happy, it is not a good deal - she's already put up with that once.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

retire2044 wrote:My wife was set on this color, especially since the last vehicle we purchased 4 years ago had the same thing happen and she was talked into a different color. . . . I realize color of a car is such a first world problem, but if my wife isn't happy, I'm not going to be happy!
You answered your own question right there. Get the color your wife wants even if you have to pay a little more. A purely non-economic decision, yes, but still a wise way to spend your money, buying happiness for your wife and thus yourself!
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

The Wizard wrote:This is why its better to do a Factory Order when possible.
Where's it made?
If I am going to pay what a new car costs, I am going to get it with the options I want in a color I want. I am willing to wait. The only exception to this is when a storm flooded all new arrivals (Sandy?) including ours, and the dealer found us a new car configured in an acceptable way; didn't want to wait an additional couple of months.

The whole idea of inventory with items that are so option-specific is one I don't quite get. Many brands have "build your car" online software; that's what I prefer. You wouldn't go to a steak house and have the waiter tell you that they have rib eye steaks cooked medium rare and one well-done, which would you like?
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

If they can't get the car, they can't get the car. If it's important to you, you should ask for your money back and they should give it with a minimum of fuss if they are a reputable dealership. If you are okay with a color switch, you can try asking for a few hundred dollars off but the odds of success probably depend on how desperate they are this month.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Fri May 22, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

flyingbison wrote:
retire2044 wrote: ... We had reached a price agreement for the new vehicle, and the money allowed them to finalize the search for the vehicle we requested.
I've never heard of having to put down money for a dealer to search for the vehicle you want. Ask for your money back, unless you are willing to accept a different color. Also, are there other options/features you are willing to give up in order to have the right color?
It's standard. Almost all dealer trades work that way because it costs them money to go out and get it for you. Unless it's a REALLY popular configuration they know they can sell immediately to somebody else if the deal falls through, they aren't going to invest in the deal unless the buyer does as well. Even if they are just trading with the dealership across the street and don't have any transportation costs they usually (but not always) lose out on hold back from the manufacturer, so that's a few hundred dollars of profit off the top of the deal right from the start. And that assumes no transportation costs whatsoever. Would you get a car for a customer without earnest money in their situation? I certainly wouldn't.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

If the dealer won't return all on your money, start a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

flyingbison wrote:
Seems strange to me as well. A few years ago, we bought a Chrysler mini-van and we were very particular about features, color, etc. - what we wanted and what we didn't want. It took most of the day in finalizing the deal, because the dealer had to find a car that was a match (I think there was one small, low cost option not on our list that we accepted and paid for). The dealer found the satisfactory car en route to a dealer a thousand miles away. We signed the deal and picked up the car a few days later.

Since the exact color seems to be very important to your wife, I suggest just asking for a full refund of your money. Then, once you have the money in hand - tell the dealer to call you if/when they find the exact car - and then you will discuss whether you want it or not. Then - walk away and act like you will not negotiate anything else. I would be very polite, but firm, and that you are sorry that the deal fell through, but it is important to you that your wife be happy with the car.

And, in the future - I would not put down anything while the dealer searches for the acceptable car.
SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy »

By law, at least in California, dealer deposits are 100% refundable. The funds must also be held in a separate trust account. They are quite common when ordering a car, or reserving a hot new car that is not currently in inventory. Never seen one for a dealer trade. Most dealers can check the current inventory in the region, while you are at the dealership.
I'd seriously consider the additional $1,000 discount for taking a second choice color. I sometimes buy the one only ad cars, which give you no choice in color, but excellent pricing.
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

KyleAAA wrote:
flyingbison wrote:
It's standard. Almost all dealer trades work that way because it costs them money to go out and get it for you. Unless it's a REALLY popular configuration they know they can sell immediately to somebody else if the deal falls through, they aren't going to invest in the deal unless the buyer does as well. Even if they are just trading with the dealership across the street and don't have any transportation costs they usually (but not always) lose out on hold back from the manufacturer, so that's a few hundred dollars of profit off the top of the deal right from the start. And that assumes no transportation costs whatsoever. Would you get a car for a customer without earnest money in their situation? I certainly wouldn't.
I think it would be standard to put down money for the dealer to obtain the vehicle you wanted, but not just to look for it and see if it exists.
btenny

Post by btenny »

I bought (really leased) a new Subaru Outback in 2013. I did the purchase by phone and internet as all the dealers were 25-100 miles from my house. I decided what car I wanted two weeks before I finally got serious about making the purchase. Well the dealer that offered me the best price and deal was 100 miles away. They told me right up front they were purchasing the car I wanted from another dealer as they did not have one that fit my needs. So I agreed because the price they offered was good and the negotiations had been easy. Then a day later they called me back and said they could not get the color I wanted (green) but the car was available in red or I could wait for the green car but it was "in transit from the factory" and TBD how soon it would be available. So I said OK to the red car and they said they would make the deal and my car would be ready by Friday. Well that afternoon the "finance guy" called me and asked for a credit card number and lots of personal details to start the paperwork. He said they would be putting a "hold of $$" on my credit card until I brought them the down payment check and signed the papers.

So yes you will have to put some sort of deposit or hold $$ to start a final car purchase. No different than buying a car back when. In my youth a long time ago cars were purchased from the dealers stock (they had the car) and you paid a big down payment or cash for a car up front. Then when your check cleared 2-3 days later they let you drive your actual car and complete the purchase.

Cars are expensive items and no dealer is going to buy a special car for a customer with no deposit.
victorb

Post by victorb »

Something sounds a little strange here. The last time we bought a new car, they did a regional search and knew exactly what was available where. They also told us which cars, colors, option packages were the most prevalent. If the car is made in the USA, it is easier for the dealer to predict availability. If the car is made offshore, it is harder for them to predict what they are going to get. My wife wanted a certain color only and we did have to pay a little more, since it was in demand and the supply was short.
You are a smart man to keep your wife happy. You know it will not work to go against her on this.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

flyingbison wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
flyingbison wrote:
I think it would be standard to put down money for the dealer to obtain the vehicle you wanted, but not just to look for it and see if it exists.
I'm assuming that's what the earnest money was for. They already know what exists because it's all online, they just didn't know if they could get it because some dealers won't do trades in certain situations. When I bought my last car there was only 1 exact match in a 300 mile radius and I had to put down $500 in earnest money to get them to even attempt to get it for me. Sounds like the salesman just wasn't very clear about how the process works.
GottaGetThisGoing

Post by GottaGetThisGoing »

retire2044 wrote:The dealer has informed me he cannot get the color my wife wanted. My wife was set on this color, especially since the last vehicle we purchased 4 years ago had the same thing happen and she was talked into a different color. Is this common? "
It's common for car dealer employees to be dishonest or lazy or sloppy or incompetent.

Escalate to the general manager.

Don't make any threats, but politely tell them that you have an agreement, you put down money, and you expect them to deliver.

Unless the color you chose isn't made by Nissan, they're probably simply being lazy or cheap; and don't want to trade/ship a car from far away.

If you did choose a color not made by Nissan, then you have an agreement, and they need to have the car painted for you.

Don't take no for an answer, don't compromise. You have ALL the leverage here. They agreed to do something, make them do it.