Best cell plan for 'data hog'?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mortal

Best cell plan for 'data hog'?

Post by mortal » Sat May 16, 2015 2:25 pm

Howdy folks,

I have a grandfathered ATT unlimited data plan, that, with discount is $60 / mo. I mainly use it to listen to music / podcasts / audible and such. I used to use ~ 3g / mo, but over the past year or so it's fallen down to 1.5g, sometimes a bit over 2g.

My phone is an old S3 that's off contract. It's started getting slow, unresponsive, and flakey lately. I did a factory reset, and I've found that it's mostly better, but still not as good as when I first got it. I may consider upgrading to an s5, which should be had at a nice discount now that the s6 is out.

Are there any good third party plans that would make it worth while to consider switching? From what I've seen most of the 2g plans would be $30-40 / mo. Given my data use should I just stick with my current plan?

---
Edit:
I forgot to mention, I often travel home to see family. It's a rural area so an MVNO on ATT / Verizon's network would be best.
Last edited by mortal on Sat May 16, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TFinator

Re: Best cell plan for 'data hog'?

Post by TFinator » Sat May 16, 2015 2:31 pm

IO use Republic Wireless with no complaints. That would give you a few gigs/mo for $25

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Sat May 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Cricket wireless - $45 with auto pay for 5 gb. $35 with auto pay for 2 gb. Both plans throttled after exceeding cap.

Straight Talk - $45 for 5gb. Throttled after exceeding cap.

Both are AT&T MVNO.

There is always better deals out there than Verizon or AT&T. Make the switch and save yourself $180-$300 a year.

closetoreality

Post by closetoreality » Sat May 16, 2015 10:23 pm

My philosophy is that if you do not depend on your phone for your primary source of internet (i.e no cable internet @ home) then I would drop down to a straight talk plan with minimum data.

I think Verizon etc ridiculously overpriced and have smart phone consumers whipped. Ditch prime providers and pickup a cheap straight talk phone (basic) if you can live without a fancy phone.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sat May 16, 2015 11:25 pm

T-Mobile has a $30 prepaid plan with 5 GB, but only 100 voice minutes. Beware that T-Mobile coverage is poor in rural areas.

Leif

Post by Leif » Sat May 16, 2015 11:34 pm

Afty wrote:T-Mobile has a $30 prepaid plan with 5 GB, but only 100 voice minutes. Beware that T-Mobile coverage is poor in rural areas.
I've got the same plan. Uses LTE if available, otherwise drops to 4G. Check T-Mobile's coverage map for the area you are interested in. It is internet and Walmart only. They don't sell the plan at the T-Mobile store. Even really, really hard to find on T-Mobile's internet site. Google it.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun May 17, 2015 12:18 am

Go with the Cricket if you can keep your usage under 2.5 MB. That is pretty easy if you can utilize Wifi.

I would not recommend Republic Wireless as their customer support is minimal and the Sprint network is very spotty.

zimmer0

Post by zimmer0 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:17 am

Are you not using as much data as before due to the fact your phone's performance has diminished? If your phones performance was increased would data usage increase to its previous state? It'd be tough for me to get rid of the grandfathered unlimited plan on the superior network.
I would suggest checking out sites like swappa to get a ATT unlocked S5 or other phone of choice. Just replaced my phone with a factory refurbished s4 for a fraction of the cost without having to go through the price gouging of ATT directly or paying monthly (NEXT plan)

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:23 am

I have a grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan which also includes the unlimited tether at LTE speeds too. If they do away with the grandfathering, I'd leave immediately. It is expensive but it's worth it for me for the superior network, widespread coverage, and unlimited tethering so I have Internet access basically wherever I am on whatever device I care about.

trinc

Post by trinc » Mon May 18, 2015 10:33 am

T-Mobile $30.00 plan is VERY good. They are rolling out a new low freq. ( 700MHz block 12 ) which will greatly improve their coverage and building penetration.. the only downside is that you must get a phone that has the ability to use this new band, none of the iphones will work and limited android ( I'm waiting for the new LG G4 ! ). google tmoble 700Mhz and there is a website that list all phones that will work.

Tim

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Mon May 18, 2015 10:37 am

I switched to Cricket and find absolutely no difference from when I was paying a lot more on AT&T. Well, it IS AT&T, so there's that. Cricket currently has the S4 for $249.99 and the S5 for $489.99.

Make sure you are using wifi at home or work/school, as that will help keep your data usage down.
Sarah

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Mon May 18, 2015 8:59 pm

trinc wrote:T-Mobile $30.00 plan is VERY good. They are rolling out a new low freq. ( 700MHz block 12 ) which will greatly improve their coverage and building penetration.. the only downside is that you must get a phone that has the ability to use this new band, none of the iphones will work and limited android ( I'm waiting for the new LG G4 ! ). google tmoble 700Mhz and there is a website that list all phones that will work.

Tim
I Googled it and checked the coverage map for this band - looks like it won't be deployed in many areas due to conflicts with existing TV channels.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Mon May 18, 2015 9:20 pm

jlawrence01 wrote:Go with the Cricket if you can keep your usage under 2.5 MB. That is pretty easy if you can utilize Wifi.

I would not recommend Republic Wireless as their customer support is minimal and the Sprint network is very spotty.
I just switched from ATT to Republic wireless, and my phone bill went from $200 for 2 phones to $50 for 2 phones, and I've noticed no difference in internet use, and about 98% equivalency on the phone (a few more occasional dropped calls on Republic, but only a few per month.)

If you're living in or near major metro, I'd recommend it - it's been great.

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Mon May 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Afty wrote:T-Mobile has a $30 prepaid plan with 5 GB, but only 100 voice minutes. Beware that T-Mobile coverage is poor in rural areas.
+1
I've been pretty happy with TMo's $30 a month plan after jumping from Ting. Coverage is good in metro areas but you could be left with no data and voice only or nothing at all in some rural areas. One way around the 100 minute a month voice restriction is to make calls through Google Hangouts via data, either WiFi or TMo. I've been placing calls that way and it works great.