Any Experiences Buying Mattress Online

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mur44

Any Experiences Buying Mattress Online

Post by mur44 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:33 pm

We need 2 new mattresses and I understand
that Memorial day sales offer significant discounts for
the same.

I am tempted to order online as their prices
seem to be lower than brick & mortar showrooms.

If you bought online, can you share your experience?

teniralc

Re: Any Experiences Buying Mattress Online

Post by teniralc » Tue May 12, 2015 6:51 pm

Charles P. Rogers: http://www.charlesprogers.com

They don't have a huge selection, but the phone (or chat, whichever you prefer–I used both) rep carefully helps you through the options. I ordered this sight unseen and have been really impressed with the quality. You can read their site and see if this looks like it fits your needs/budget. It was a bit more expensive, but in the end, really not very much more expensive and the quality is just fantastic.

We've purchased I think about 4 or 5 beds/mattresses over the years and this was by far, the best purchase. I paid for set up of the bed and the delivery (which I think comes free) people were excellent. I suggest you talk with them and look at reviews. I know others have different experiences with purchases, but with this company, I had nothing but positive experiences with the service and the product.

Good luck!

Ervin

Post by Ervin » Tue May 12, 2015 7:04 pm

Costco all the way!

You can see some of the mattresses in some of their warehouses. You can buy them online and have them shipped directly to your home (they will take away the packaging, it was really a white glove experience). Not only that, but you can return the mattress within a reasonable time, no questions asked (which I did). And the value is there.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue May 12, 2015 7:26 pm

Ervin wrote:Costco all the way!

You can see some of the mattresses in some of their warehouses. You can buy them online and have them shipped directly to your home (they will take away the packaging, it was really a white glove experience). Not only that, but you can return the mattress within a reasonable time, no questions asked (which I did). And the value is there.
+100...

I bought all my mattresses from Costco...

KlangFool

yatesd

Post by yatesd » Tue May 12, 2015 7:34 pm

About 90 days ago I purchased a latex mattress from http://www.spindlemattress.com and did some research on mattress underground.com

The process of buying a mattress sucks. Very hard to compare apples to apples and even harder to determine if something will be comfortable. I decided that I wanted to try my first "memory foam" style mattress then realized that I had no basis for comparing cheap vs. good vs. best. Furthermore, some complaints about chemical smells had me considering latex mattresses since they are all natural. These are also easier to compare value (just make sure you are comparing 100% latex products).

I did check out one brand in person (Savvy Rest) and confirmed that I would like the feel. However, they were much more expensive. I was happy with my purchase experience and pleasantly surprised to receive follow up and customer support from the owner.

Good luck!

Rayandron

Post by Rayandron » Tue May 12, 2015 7:43 pm

I bought a King-sized mattress from Tuft and Needle online (currently $750, but I think you can get a discount if you go search for coupon codes at the Mattress Underground forum). If you like firm mattresses I highly recommend their product. If you need something softer, search elsewhere.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue May 12, 2015 8:10 pm

all the cool kids are getting the casper mattress. $850 (i think) for a queen before a $50 coupon easily found on the web. you get to sleep on it up to 100 nites and can return for a full refund if ya don't like it. thats what i'm doing next.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Tue May 12, 2015 8:20 pm

yatesd wrote:About 90 days ago I purchased a latex mattress from http://www.spindlemattress.com and did some research on mattress underground.com
The process of buying a mattress sucks. Very hard to compare apples to apples and even harder to determine if something will be comfortable. I decided that I wanted to try my first "memory foam" style mattress then realized that I had no basis for comparing cheap vs. good vs. best. Furthermore, some complaints about chemical smells had me considering latex mattresses since they are all natural. These are also easier to compare value (just make sure you are comparing 100% latex products).
I did check out one brand in person (Savvy Rest) and confirmed that I would like the feel. However, they were much more expensive. I was happy with my purchase experience and pleasantly surprised to receive follow up and customer support from the owner.
Good luck!
visited 4-5 stores, got latex which is great - and near impossible to move without three or four hulks to help, but you never reverse or flip it over. negotiating for a mattress is as annoying as pricing out a new car. if you go live, never accept the "best" or 'sale" price. there is always, pillows, mattress covers and cash to be had. and, yes, good luck
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Tue May 12, 2015 8:23 pm

I took a risk and bought a mattress on amazon a few years ago. It is amazing. The price cannot be beat. Read the amazon reviews if you doubt my anecdote.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005A4 ... UTF8&psc=1

testing321

Post by testing321 » Tue May 12, 2015 8:32 pm

We bought a foam mattress from Costco that was a best buy in consumer reports. CR said the mattress was medium despite the manufacture's declaration of firm. We found the mattress to be firm. Did some research and softened it by walking on it barefoot. It's comfortable, but if I could do it over would get something thinner vs 14". Pay attention to the reviews.

scotthal

Post by scotthal » Tue May 12, 2015 11:28 pm

Bought a Sleep Innovations queen gel-infused memory foam mattress thru Amazon several months (<1yr) back. Love it, tho' the quality of it's predecessor (a quarter century old foam core futon) may be a factor...
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Wed May 13, 2015 12:12 am

Bought once at sams club online, they delivered it. No issues, really liked the mattress. Wife said she thinks its too high. So i called them they came and picked up. No issues.

Bought it again the same mattress online at sams club without the box spring.

No issues.

Ervin

Post by Ervin » Wed May 13, 2015 5:31 am

sharpjm wrote:I took a risk and bought a mattress on amazon a few years ago. It is amazing. The price cannot be beat. Read the amazon reviews if you doubt my anecdote.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005A4 ... UTF8&psc=1
I bought two TVs from Amazon. No issues. I would buy a mattress from them in a heartbeat (if returnable).

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:30 am

The last two mattresses we bought were purchased from US-Mattress (online) and at Sam's Club.

The US Mattress is a Twin XL made by Sealy. Almost immediately after placing order, they had an even better sale, they honored the new sale price and were very easy to work with. They kept me informed all along the way until mattress was delivered, and old one hauled away.

http://www.us-mattress.com/

Although you specified online, I'll add my recommendations to those of others for Sam's Club. We needed a mattress set immediately to accommodate unexpected company, so we picked up the set rather than buying online. The mattress set was reasonable, and of good quality. They did want $100 PER piece for delivery. :shock:

My neighbor has a truck, and helped my wife pick up set. $200 seemed WAY too high. :annoyed

I have no experience in buying mattresses from Amazon, but given their normal reputation of fast delivery, replacement if defective, and pricing, I wouldn't be hesitant to order from them, as well.

And Costco has a well-deserved reputation of satisfying customers, so I wouldn't be afraid to order from them, also.

Broken Man 1999

edited to correct url
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

stupidkid

Post by stupidkid » Wed May 13, 2015 10:52 am

Bought from sleepez.com after research on the mattress underground and sleeplikethedead.com. Very easy purchase, got a stacked 10% off (5% from being a mattress underground member and the site had a 5% coupon). For $2k I got a 10" three layered latex mattress, cover, pad, two latex pillows, and a foundation. Delivered promptly, and sleeps great. They were easy to deal with, answered questions via phone & email.

As others have said, mattress shopping is hard. I laid down on a bunch of mattresses, but couldn't try this one out due to the store being in AZ (where I'm not), but very pleased with the purchase and experience.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Wed May 13, 2015 1:23 pm

We got a memory foam mattress from Amazon. If you are extremely particular about mattresses, it might not be a good idea. The mattress is fine for us, but it is harder than what we expected especially when it's cold.

The exact feel of a mattress can't really be described in words.

If I were really picky about mattresses I probably wouldn't have gotten it, but I'm not that picky so it's fine.

ReedMan

Post by ReedMan » Wed May 13, 2015 5:25 pm

Isn't it interesting when you realize you need a new mattress how much the old one starts to bother you, and and suddenly you feel less rested or more back pain when you wake?

I've been looking at the online mattress that sell direct, like Casper and Leesa. They seem similar, with maybe the Leesa getting a slight edge. I like the idea of getting a high end mattress at 1/3 the cost. We're going to check out similar ones in the store to see if we like the hybrid style.

If anyone has any experience with these mattress in a box online products let us know. All reviews are glowing, but they also all are affiliated and get a kick back if you use their discount code.

horste

Post by horste » Wed May 13, 2015 8:09 pm

Rayandron wrote:I bought a King-sized mattress from Tuft and Needle online (currently $750, but I think you can get a discount if you go search for coupon codes at the Mattress Underground forum). If you like firm mattresses I highly recommend their product. If you need something softer, search elsewhere.
My spouse and I just purchased a queen from Tuft and Needles. We love the purchase. Best mattress we've ever had. Good price, good sleep, and excellent return policy.

BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth » Tue May 19, 2015 2:30 pm

We bought a king sized mattress from Saatva and we're very happy with the shopping experience and the quality of the mattress

http://www.saatvamattress.com/

frugalfraggle

Post by frugalfraggle » Tue May 19, 2015 9:44 pm

We just bought a king size mattress from Casper. Should be delivered Thursday. I'll write back once I can give a review.

SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Tue May 19, 2015 10:07 pm

horste wrote:
Rayandron wrote:I bought a King-sized mattress from Tuft and Needle online (currently $750, but I think you can get a discount if you go search for coupon codes at the Mattress Underground forum). If you like firm mattresses I highly recommend their product. If you need something softer, search elsewhere.
My spouse and I just purchased a queen from Tuft and Needles. We love the purchase. Best mattress we've ever had. Good price, good sleep, and excellent return policy.
We just purchased a Queen size from tuftandneedle. 100 day free return policy / trial period if purchased direct from their site, only 30 days if purchased through Amazon and more hassle. 1 week in, we're happy with it except that you can't really sit on the side of the bed very comfortably. There isn't much edge support. For sleeping, it's very comfortable.

Exterous

Post by Exterous » Wed May 20, 2015 9:32 am

stupidkid wrote:Bought from sleepez.com after research on the mattress underground and sleeplikethedead.com. Very easy purchase, got a stacked 10% off (5% from being a mattress underground member and the site had a 5% coupon). For $2k I got a 10" three layered latex mattress, cover, pad, two latex pillows, and a foundation. Delivered promptly, and sleeps great. They were easy to deal with, answered questions via phone & email.

As others have said, mattress shopping is hard. I laid down on a bunch of mattresses, but couldn't try this one out due to the store being in AZ (where I'm not), but very pleased with the purchase and experience.
Sounds very similar to my purchase and experience. I tried out Savvy Rest locally but decided that a potential 50-60% savings was worth buying online from sleepez and dealing with shipping it back if I needed to. I needn't have worried as we love the mattress and love that we were able to so easily get different comfort configurations side by side. I also like that you can easily change the configuration as I needed to do that when my sleeping habits changed (for the better)

Rl2

Post by Rl2 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:29 am

We went through the online mattress buying process a few months ago. The main options are Casper, Tuft and Needle, and Leeza. Casper is supposed to be on the softer side, Tuft and Needle and Leeza are firmer. Leeza has a newer material that is supposed to be cooler. All give you a free return period varying from 30 days (Tuft and Needle) to 100 days (Leeza and Casper).

We ended up going with the Leeza and are still happy with it a few months later. It arrived quickly in a 70lb box. We just put it on the box springs, cut the plastic, it expanded and all was good. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

DJInvestor

Post by DJInvestor » Wed May 20, 2015 2:16 pm

I just bought a Casper mattress for my 19 year old daughter, about 1 week ago. She says it is the most comfortable mattress she has ever slept on.

https://casper.com/mattresses

She decided on a full size because she will be moving in and out of dorms for the next few years and it is much easier to transport than a queen or larger. List price was $750, but we found a $50 off coupon on the internet. I am happy to share a coupon if anyone would like to message me.

It arrived by UPS in a surprisingly small box, folded in half lengthwise, then rolled, with Tyvek holding everything together. The total ship weight was 52 lbs.

When the mattress was released from the Tyvek, it unfolded rapidly, with no evidence of creasing. I am quite satisfied with the quality of the mattress and the experience of buying via mail order. It took less than 2 weeks from the time the order was placed to delivery. We have 100 nights to return the mattress if something should go wrong, but my daughter absolutely loves the mattress so there is no question of returning it. She is tall and athletic, weighing about 150 lbs. I think the variability in mattress reviews has something to do with the tremendous variation in human form, age and spine health. So if you are young, lithe and healthy, I predict you will have a good sleeping experience on a Casper mattress. If you are heavy and have chronic back pain, you may have a different experience. The Casper mattress feels on the firm side to me, but the top layer of foam is softer, almost like a pillow-top. I am considering buying a pillow top mattress cover to further improve the sleeping experience. I will update this post after I have a chance to sleep on it.

William4u

Post by William4u » Wed May 20, 2015 5:37 pm

We bought this Night Therapy bed for a guest room, and slept on it a few times. It was surprisingly comfy for less that $200 for a full size bed.

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Therapy-Pre ... B004TN5JSW

mur44

Post by mur44 » Wed May 20, 2015 6:27 pm

Thank you all for the answers - very useful information.

Sleepys has great Memorial day sale and I made the
purchase.

tj

Post by tj » Fri May 22, 2015 4:58 pm

I found mattressnerd extrremely helpful.

http://www.mattressnerd.com/simmons-bea ... son-guide/

I just picked up a Simmons Beautyrest "Phillipsburg" from US-Mattress. They have a 100 night guarantee and you just pay $99 to switch it out, so I just took a gamble on one, but the mattressnerd site shows you the different models vs equivalents at sears, macys etc so you could test them first if you wanted.

I tried tuft and needle, and hated it. The Simmons is much more comfy and was not that more expensive.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:12 pm

I just bought the following queen sized mattress online from Brooklyn Bedding:
6" base 2 lb density polyfoam ILD 36
2" Dunlop latex transitional layer ILD 32
2" Talalay latex comfort layer ILD 28
natural cotton top

This is their "medium firmness" version (comes in firm, medium and soft).

I bought this version (rather than their "soft" version) because I wanted a 3" 100% organic Talalay top, which I purchased separately from Mattresses-to-go in the "soft" category. (The topper was made by Pure Latex Bliss, and I was told the ILD is 14-19). I wanted to match the specs of a high-end mattress I tried in a showroom (that would have cost about $2500).

The mattress is $750 at brooklynbedding.com You can easily find 5% off coupon codes online, reducing the price to $712.50. Shipping is rapid and you don't pay shipping or sales tax.

The 100% organic Talalay topper was about another $425 or so.

The combination feels extremely close to what I tried in the showroom (a good, reputable, local showroom) that sold for over $1000 more and could not be returned. The mattress alone is very comfortable...IMHO better than the high end junk in the big box mattress stores like Sleepy's.... and should be sufficient for most people. I probably would have been happy with their "soft" mattress alone, but I did research that led me to believe that the 100% pure latex was more hypoallergenic than a blend- it does a better job repelling dust mites. Plus I read about other potential subtle advantages which make a difference to me, since I spend 1/4-1/3 of my life on my mattress and will probably keep this one for a very long time.

Supposedly Brooklyn offers a no-questions-asked 120 day return policy....they pick up the mattress at no cost. There is also a good warranty.

So far I am very happy, though it is brand new. I imagine the real test of a mattress takes a year or so of use.

Fortunately, finally, the mattress customer can become informed and make informed decisions. This was very difficult until recently. It is true that sites like mattressunderground.com, sleeplikethedead.com, etc receive commercial backing from the companies they mention and I question the extent of their objectivity. But that said, they provide a LOT of very good information that would have been very difficult for the consumer to obtain on their own.

I would never again shop at a national mattress chain like Sleepy's. The prices are ridiculous and the products tend to be inferior. It is very difficult to get any information about meaningful specs because the objective is to confound the customer. Though perhaps biased, read mattressunderground.com 's analysis of a high-end Sealy Posturepedic here (the Posturepedics occupied maybe 1/3 of the floor space at my local Sleepy's) : http://www.themattressunderground.com/m ... eview.html

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:54 pm

We purchased a king sized Leesa bed a couple of months ago. It has been great. Super comfortable. Also bought a new platform bed from Charles p Rogers - super high quality solid mahogany bed at a fair price. Could not be happier.

jayjayc

Post by jayjayc » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:48 pm

We recently received the Tuft & Needle mattress. So amazingly comfortable. Absolutely love sleeping on this mattress.

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:10 pm

protagonist wrote:I just bought the following queen sized mattress online from Brooklyn Bedding:
natural cotton top
Sounds like a great bed. I have been layering my own mattresses for almost a decade now and will never buy a mattress from a regular mattress store again.

After experimenting with different layers, I have found I get the best value by keeping it simple: approx 5" of firm (50 ILD) high density foam (over 2.5 lb/cf) with a 2" Dunlop Latex topper on top. I also always buy a wool topper as it helps with keeping cool. Other than that, I don't even have any kind of full fabric wrap on it... I just add my fitted sheet right over the layers, making it a super economical bed (under $350 for a queen + another $150 for the wool topper). This is a very firm mattress, but I have had many people stay on a guest bed of that exact formula and even those who usually do not like it too firm comment that they sleep amazingly on it. Also, I never flip it and it still lasts forever! Never gotten that kind of longevity from a mattress that costs double that.

I also get most of my materials from FoamByMail, which the MattressUnderground people hate. But after using their stuff for many many years, my latex from FoamByMail has actually held up better than the Talalay one I bought from Rocky Mountain Mattress (which was more expensive and a more reputable company). And the 2.8 lb/cf high density foam, I measured to be upwards of around 2.6 lb/cf... close enough and truly a high density foam. And it has held up amazingly. They have some poor business practices (their latex is dunlop but they advertise it as talalay and have been doing so for a decade now... not sure how they get away with it), but I still go back to them, because in the end, I still get the best value from them.

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:21 pm

Bought from samsclub.com.
Returned and bought a different size from them
Loved the service.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:43 pm

oneleaf wrote:
protagonist wrote:I just bought the following queen sized mattress online from Brooklyn Bedding:
natural cotton top
Sounds like a great bed. I have been layering my own mattresses for almost a decade now and will never buy a mattress from a regular mattress store again.

After experimenting with different layers, I have found I get the best value by keeping it simple: approx 5" of firm (50 ILD) high density foam (over 2.5 lb/cf) with a 2" Dunlop Latex topper on top. I also always buy a wool topper as it helps with keeping cool. Other than that, I don't even have any kind of full fabric wrap on it... I just add my fitted sheet right over the layers, making it a super economical bed (under $350 for a queen + another $150 for the wool topper). This is a very firm mattress, but I have had many people stay on a guest bed of that exact formula and even those who usually do not like it too firm comment that they sleep amazingly on it. Also, I never flip it and it still lasts forever! Never gotten that kind of longevity from a mattress that costs double that.

I also get most of my materials from FoamByMail, which the MattressUnderground people hate. But after using their stuff for many many years, my latex from FoamByMail has actually held up better than the Talalay one I bought from Rocky Mountain Mattress (which was more expensive and a more reputable company). And the 2.8 lb/cf high density foam, I measured to be upwards of around 2.6 lb/cf... close enough and truly a high density foam. And it has held up amazingly. They have some poor business practices (their latex is dunlop but they advertise it as talalay and have been doing so for a decade now... not sure how they get away with it), but I still go back to them, because in the end, I still get the best value from them.
I thought about doing essentially what you did as well (buying the foam and latex and layering it myself- seems easy enough), but decided to just buy that mattress for simplicity. That's weird that they can continue advertising Dunlop as Talalay. Anyway, it seems like you did very well.

Mattresses-to-go (where I bought my topper) also seemed to get their share of bad reviews (I was concerned), but they were great and the price was right. Jeff answered all my questions honestly and I received just what I ordered within about 2 business days (he said it would take 2-3 weeks, but the topper was shipped from very close to where I live so I think they just put it on a truck). I wonder how many of those reviews can be trusted.

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:10 pm

protagonist wrote: I thought about doing essentially what you did as well (buying the foam and latex and layering it myself- seems easy enough), but decided to just buy that mattress for simplicity. That's weird that they can continue advertising Dunlop as Talalay. Anyway, it seems like you did very well.

Mattresses-to-go (where I bought my topper) also seemed to get their share of bad reviews (I was concerned), but they were great and the price was right. Jeff answered all my questions honestly and I received just what I ordered within about 2 business days (he said it would take 2-3 weeks, but the topper was shipped from very close to where I live so I think they just put it on a truck). I wonder how many of those reviews can be trusted.
I, too, am a bit skeptical of those mattress forums. It spun off a previous site called whatsthebest-mattress.com, where some of the low cost companies (like FoamByMail) were highly regarded with virtually all happy customers. Mattress-Underground came out later, with what came to be some excessively critical reviews that, to me, seemed a bit sudden to me.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:19 pm

sksbog wrote:Bought once at sams club online, they delivered it. No issues, really liked the mattress. Wife said she thinks its too high. So i called them they came and picked up. No issues.

Bought it again the same mattress online at sams club without the box spring.

No issues.
I have found out on these new beds you really don't need a box spring. You can put them right on the floor.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

demi9od

Post by demi9od » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:11 am

Sorry to necro this thread but I found oneleaf's FoamByMail idea when searching for more information on the Brooklyn Bedding BME and had a few questions. First of all this is economically an excellent idea. The dense 2.8lb base foam and Dunlop layer will last longer than nearly any other pre-built hybrid mattress due to the complete lack of any low density poly foam. I wondered though if 3" of latex would be any softer than 2". I was also curious about the wool topper chosen. Costco sells a double sided wool topper, $110 in king size. Overstock sells a King-size Lambswool Mattress Pad for $170. Both of these have exposed pile, rather than batting enclosed in a cover. The benefit to the Overstock version in my mind is that it has a fitted poly/cotton skirt that might keep it from moving around more than the Costco anchor bands, especially on a mattress only 7"-8" in height. I could not find any enclosed wool topper designs under $200. Does the wool topper offer any localized pressure relief or is it only being used for temperature regulation?

TY!

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:22 pm

The wool topper does add a nice softness that I think is more comfortable than without, but the primary reason I use it is for temperature regulation. Try Laughlin Designs St. Dormeir: Wool Mattress Protectors, from their snuggledown.com website. I have bought 4 mattress covers and they have nice stretchable pockets and are easy to use. And they can be dried in low heat... been doing it for years with one of them and still in great shape. And the price is reasonable.

Thicker latex will definitely be softer, imo. The Lux-HQ foam from foambymail is very firm, and most people will want at least 2" of latex on top (my preference) though 3" will be noticeably softer. Probably by quite a bit.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:44 pm

Honestly how reliable is asking someone else how comfortable a mattress is? Age also plays a huge factor. When i was 20 years old, I could sleep anywhere, even on the floor without any problems, no way could I do that now. That probably goes for most people as they age.
The only way I would shop for a mattress is going into the local stores and lying down on them (I see most people at the stores only sit on them). I might lie there for 15 minutes or so, but I find that works best. Next would be how easy the returns are and then negotiate the price. A good nights sleep without waking up with back issues is priceless.

demi9od

Post by demi9od » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:18 pm

That's very true squirm. It's like asking someone else how well a shoe fits. I was more interested in how changing the layers around would affect the perceived firmness though, not specifically asking how comfortable it was. The real problem with laying down for 15 minutes in a store is that it doesn't replicate 6-8 hours of sleep very well. The Bed In a Box model works well due to their generous return policies, where you can actually sleep on the mattress for 30-100 nights before committing. They are also generally more economical than an in-store purchase, especially for those that dislike negotiating.

I ended up going with 6" of Lux-HQ, 2" of latex, and the Wool Mattress protector. Worst comes to worst I can always add a simple egg crate topper or another 1" latex layer under the wool, if it is too firm.

SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:51 pm

Since the thread has already risen from the dead, here's an update. I successfully returned, actually donated, the Tuft & Needle mattress for a full refund due to the edge support issue. Bought a Brooklyn Bedding firm mattress and have had it for over a year now. It's been great.
Also tried a memory foam mattress from Costco, but returned that because it slept too hot. Costco was particular in inspecting it upon return to make sure that it hadn't been stained. First time I'd been hassled in a Costco return.
I think the mail order mattress model with 2-3 month returns is absolutely the way to go. Trying mattresses out in a store just doesn't give you enough info. You need to sleep on them for a while.

demi9od

Post by demi9od » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:52 pm

I have an update about the DIY foam method. 2" Latex on top of 6" of very firm poly foam ended up being too firm for me and my SO. There was also a fair amount of motion transfer that could be felt when one of us rolled over. I purchased another layer, 2" of 5.0lb memory foam to serve as a transitional layer between the poly foam and latex. This is ideal for us. It eliminates the motion transfer and adds some additional softness but without the hot and trapped feeling of sleeping with a memory foam top layer.

From foambymail.com my recommendation is this, $475 in a Queen.
5" LUX-HQ base layer.
2" 5.0lb pink memory foam.
2" Latex.

If you like a firmer mattress you could probably get away with 1" of latex while maintaining the benefits of both materials.

noraz123

Post by noraz123 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:11 pm

For others that read this thread, FoamByMail (also known as Foam Factory) is not highly recommended by Mattress Underground. More here: http://www.themattressunderground.com/m ... html#61886

delconte

Post by delconte » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:42 pm

+1 for Casper. Sleeps great (not too hot) and easy ordering. Just don't forget the coupon code.
Seattle Chapter Organizer | seattlebogleheads@gmail.com

aboose

Post by aboose » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:22 pm

I've heard great things about the "Purple Matress" ( https://onpurple.com/ )

VegasBH

Post by VegasBH » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:52 am

I bought matresses from Sams and my current mattress is from https://www.leesa.com/ the question you have to ask yourself is do you want a memory foam type mattress or a traditional mattress. If you want to try a foam mattress buy a tuft and needle they are a great price. If you want a traditional mattress buy from costco or Sams.

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:02 am

teniralc wrote:Charles P. Rogers: http://www.charlesprogers.com

They don't have a huge selection, but the phone (or chat, whichever you prefer–I used both) rep carefully helps you through the options. I ordered this sight unseen and have been really impressed with the quality. You can read their site and see if this looks like it fits your needs/budget. It was a bit more expensive, but in the end, really not very much more expensive and the quality is just fantastic.

We've purchased I think about 4 or 5 beds/mattresses over the years and this was by far, the best purchase. I paid for set up of the bed and the delivery (which I think comes free) people were excellent. I suggest you talk with them and look at reviews. I know others have different experiences with purchases, but with this company, I had nothing but positive experiences with the service and the product.

Good luck!
About two months ago, we finally dumped our Costco "tempur" type mattress. Despite rotating quarterly, it developed ruts and was unbelievably hot around 3AM (it absorbed body heat and I wound up a sweaty mess). I did a lot of research and bought one of the Charles P. Rogers Powercore Nano 2 beds. Initially, it was firmer than I would have selected, but it was perfect for DW. Now, it feels great. Long story short - no more sweaty nights, I sleep better, and DW is happy. Great service, quality product. Recommended.

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:09 am

miles monroe wrote:all the cool kids are getting the casper mattress. $850 (i think) for a queen before a $50 coupon easily found on the web. you get to sleep on it up to 100 nites and can return for a full refund if ya don't like it. thats what i'm doing next.
There is also a $75 off $350 American Express offer. I understand you can pay by phone splitting the order over 2 cards - so if you have the offer on 2 of your Amex cards you can save $150 off $700 + the $50 coupon.

dopamineagonist

Post by dopamineagonist » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:45 am

Wayfair is a great place to order awesome matresss at a very low price. All of them are shipped for free. I was skeptical at first but their site made it easy to look at reviews and compare. I ended up buying 4 from them for half of what it would cost instore.