Epoxy garage floor?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
chickadee

Epoxy garage floor?

Post by chickadee »

I'm having some work done in my garage soon, to fix some drywall, lay down plywood decking in the attic, then painting the entire thing. This is a pretty standard size 2 car garage.

I'm considering having a professional put an epoxy coating on the floor to spiff things up. This is 30+ year old concrete, and it looks it.

Assuming that the installer thinks he can get the concrete clean enough to get the epoxy to adhere, is this a nice upgrade? Or just a "want" ?

Has anyone had this done, and if so, were you pleased with it?

I get a quote tomorrow, so not sure right now what the cost would be. I've read online prices from $6-$12 a square foot.
sunny_socal

Re: Epoxy garage floor?

Post by sunny_socal »

I've done this myself on a similar size garage. Procedure:
- Buy a couple packs of the garage floor epoxy mix from Home Depot
- Buy some of the acid for etching/cleaning the floor, also from HD
- Wash the floor with the acid, push it out the door with a wide squeegee and rinse the floor, dry again
- Once it is totally dry, apply the epoxy mix with a paint roller, making sure you don't need to walk on parts :mrgreen:

Cost something like $100-200, a couple days of time. If you want to pay someone else, it's mostly for their time and not the materials. Looks great, a wonderful upgrade.

I would avoid the little "paint chips." Any time you drop something like a small nut or screw, it gets completely lost in the noisy pattern. (If you don't work in your garage, then get the chips - they do look good.) I'd also stay away from beige and go with grey. Same reason, small dropped items tend to get "lost" much easier against the beige for whatever reason.
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

I wouldn't consider an epoxy floor an upgrade. Unless you really don't like the sight of your concrete floor, it's not worth it. I'd also consider painting the garage not worth it. The only exception would be if you spend a significant amount of time in the garage and the epoxy is an improvement for safety, cleanliness, etc (car repairs, woodworking, anything where the garage doubles as your workshop).
brucesprings

Post by brucesprings »

I have done it on my 40 year old floor but I didn't do the etching or acid and a good part peeled off. I have since bought these mats and taped together that look nice but not a permanent fix.
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

I haven't done it yet but it's on my list of to do's. I think it looks fantastic and it is a very nice upgrade. By what I have seen the solvent-based epoxies are more resistant than the water-based.

There is a lot of discussion about and a wealth of information about this topic on the garage journal boards. They are the bogheheads for garages:
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2873
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

I had mine professionally epoxied last year and I absolutely love it. I have a standard 2-car garage and if I recall, paid something like $1,800 with a lifetime warranty. If anything happens, at all, they come out and take care of it. So far, it's still perfect. Just sweep it every couple months, swiffer it, and it looks like brand new. Everyone that sees it is wowed and there's no doubt it adds to the resale value.

I also installed a Gladiator storage system and between those two upgrades, the garage has truly become another nice, usable room of our home versus a place you want to get out of quickly as soon as you step out of your car.

There is one major downfall, however - it's as slippery as hell when it's wet. I've almost killed myself a handful of times. We're extremely careful now when walking on it after the cars have recently been brought in after a rain.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

I did both in my garage (also 30 years old). The white paint on the side walls was a great idea - makes the garage bright. The epoxy on the floor...[shrug]. Would I do it again? Don't know, not sure. I didn't do the acid treatment first but scrubbed the dickens out of it several times and bought a power sprayer (can't tell you how much that reduced the WORK of prepping the garage). It is peeling in some very small spots. I haven't washed out the garage in several years but plan to do so this year and after that I may be glad once again that I did the epoxy.

I plan to use the power sprayer to clean the epoxy floor.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

I did the epoxy in a previous house, and even having prepped the floor with the acid, the epoxy began peeling mostly under the cars within a year. I assume it is from heat. Manufacturer suggested parking the cars outside when we initially get home, letting them cool off, and then moving them into the garage. Yeah right. I would not do it again myself--I liked the look a lot but would only consider professional installation with a lifetime warranty given my experience.
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

I live in a town home and noticed recently that a neighbor has this type of flooring in the garage. It looks so nice! I was never bothered by our slightly oil-stained 6 year old concrete before, but ever since spotting how nice their garage looks I've been wondering about doing this myself.

However I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay thousands of dollars for it. There are a lot better uses of $3-5K that would make an impact on the utility, appearance and/or resale value of our home I think.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

We did our standard 2 car garage 10 years back using the HD store sold product. It lasted and looks good. Cost was $150 and 4 hours of work.
sdsailing

Post by sdsailing »

chickadee wrote:
Assuming that the installer thinks he can get the concrete clean enough to get the epoxy to adhere, is this a nice upgrade? Or just a "want" ?

If you are not sure, it is most definitely a "want".
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I have a wider type 2 car garage with some storage. I once did Epoxy myself the wrong way and it peeled off. I now understand that all old paint and oil has to be removed to apply Epoxy paint. An acid wash and sanding the old paint was not enough. I read in previous posts here that even some professionally installed Epoxy coatings peel off in 1 or 2 years. So you should ask the selected installer for references which are 2 years old and then see those referenced floors.
I had a pitted floor and acid washed, filled in the pitting, coated with 2 layers of primer and 2 layers of garage floor paint all from HD, then let it dry for 2 weeks before driving in cars. After 1 year and a bad winter it still looks good, but need to wash it with a soap solution to get rid of all winter dirt. A clean garage with ordered storage (mower, snow thrower, garden tools, no junk), painted walls and ceiling and clean cars without oil leaks is wonderful.
Last edited by likegarden on Mon May 11, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
powermega

Post by powermega »

I did my floor when we moved into our house over four years ago. It's a large 3-car garage (about 750 sqft). Overall, I love it. I live in a climate with snow and ice, so it's nice to be able to use a hose and spray out all of the road gunk that accumulates on the floor during the winter. After cleaning, the floor looks just as new as it did four years ago.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Put a lot of extra time and effort into getting the slab clean and etched. Get a stiff brush that you can use to scrub hard. The slab prep work is by far the most important part of the entire job. This part really is at least 80% of the entire effort, and MUST be done right for good results.

2. Put on two coats. The guy at HD recommended this, and I do to. Put the first coat on thick. I used two 2-car garage kits to cover my 3-car garage, and it barely covered it. I was able to use one 2-car garage kit for this second coat. The second coat goes on 24 hours after you put on the first coat. The first coat is starting to cure, but it has a slight sticky feel to it, which is good. The second thinner coat will be able to bind to the first coat.

3. Use non-slip additive. It looks like a sugar/sand mixture. The epoxy is slick when it is wet without the non-slip additive. If you put on the two coats like I did, then you can use the non-slip additive in the final coat only.

4. I used the flakes, but kind of regret it. It's a matter of personal preference, and they do provide additional non-slip grip. If you use the flakes, use some kind of a spreader, like a fertilizer spreader, to get an even spread of flakes.

There is not a single part of the entire floor that is cracked, chipped, peeled or damaged in anyway. This was the product I used from Home Depot. I bought three of those kits. Total cost for everything was about $350, and probably about six hours of time.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
frequentT

Post by frequentT »

Do it! Definitely worth the effort!

The prep is everything-take your time.

I used the HD kit. I recommend buying extra flakes so you can get 'the look' you want. If you have any areas that are extra rough or cracked, heavier flakes will disguise.

Good luck.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

I've done the DIY epoxy paint in my last two houses and yes it is a great upgrade and makes keeping the floor clean so much easier. But others are right, the prep is 80 percent of the work unless you are working on a brand new garage floor that requires no prep.

In a previous life I also worked for a commercial painting company and did some big commercial epoxy installs. One was inside some big water tanks and the most horrible job of my life due to the lack of ventilation. The other was in a new yogurt factory that was having their entire factory floor epoxied for food sanitation. I can tell you that I seriously doubt that the DIY products sold at the big box stores are the same as what the big commercial painters use. That stuff was horrendous to apply and comes out way thicker and smoother than the stuff they sell for garages at Home Depot. So if you pay a commercial painter to install the correct stuff you are probably getting something different than the DIY grade stuff.
Beck49

Post by Beck49 »

We have a standard 2 car garage and concrete floor was starting to deteriorate. There was always a lot of concrete dust. I think it also let a lot of moisture though to our cars. Anyway had the floor professional done by this company about 5 years ago.

https://www.garagefloorcoating.com/

We also added the anti-slip compound. The cost was about $2500. It was one of the best investments I've made in the house. Garage floor is easy to clean and spills don't soak in. Just be sure the installer is experienced and knows what he is doing. Good luck.
jackholloway

Post by jackholloway »

We had our two car garage professionally done at the same time as they installed storage last year. We like it.
Topic Author
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

OP here. Thanks for the feedback. No way would I tackle this myself, so it's professional (with a warranty) or not at all. I have two companies coming to quote this week.

I just think it will add to the "atmosphere" in the garage. We don't have a utility room, so end up spending time out there doing laundry, and right now it is just not a place you want to linger in.
reason-logic

Post by reason-logic »

I love a clean garage. I have two homes and have used epoxy coating on one and polyaspartic floor coating on another. I like the polyaspartic flooring better as it can be installed and dry in one day (epoxy takes 3) and it does not fade in direct sun (like the part of your garage floor that extends outside of your garage doors).

Either product is great though. Easy to clean spills, just vacuum and damp mop once in a while for a great looking garage.
toblerone

Post by toblerone »

I have a 3-car garage, and at first tried the water based product sold at HD on part of the floor. It flaked off badly but I think most of that was due to poor surface preparation. The second time, 8 years later, I decided to tackle it again. This time it turned out great, well worth the $ and hours involved for DIY. To do it right (DIY) I recommend:

1. Do the whole floor. If that means renting a POD and putting all the garage stuff in the driveway for a month, it's worth it.
2. Degrease/scrub, rinse, acid etch/scrub, rinse very thoroughly, let dry for 2 days.
3. Use solvent based epoxy for best results, not available at HD/Lowes as far as I know, but available at Grainger and elsewhere: http://www.grainger.com/product/RUST-OL ... -Kit-1TBG4 Use a respirator and/or have really good ventilation.
4. Put down 2 base coats, and one clear coat. The clear coat you can buy at HD. As you put down 2nd base coat, sprinkle with flakes then seal with clear coat the next day. Add sand (included) to clear coat before rolling it. It provides really good traction when wet. Use really good lighting with the clear coat because it's easy to miss spots.

Cleaning, etching, drying, and painting 3 coats will suck the life out of you and take 5 consecutive days, (not including moving all the crap in and out) but it's worth it. After 3 years the floor cleans easily and looks amazing.
Enjoy your new floor :sharebeer
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

chickadee wrote:I'm having some work done in my garage soon, to fix some drywall, lay down plywood decking in the attic, then painting the entire thing. This is a pretty standard size 2 car garage.

I'm considering having a professional put an epoxy coating on the floor to spiff things up. This is 30+ year old concrete, and it looks it.

Has anyone had this done, and if so, were you pleased with it?

I get a quote tomorrow, so not sure right now what the cost would be. I've read online prices from $6-$12 a square foot.
I did it with that price range. Within a year, it started to peel where the tires were. If I did it again, I would probably go with the plastic/rubber tiles. no more expensive than $6-$12 per square foot and won't peel.

JT
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Where does all the acid sued for etching go? Washed down the storm drain?
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer »

snackdog wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:14 am Where does all the acid sued for etching go? Washed down the storm drain?
Most likely, if you have some concerns the acid isn’t fully spent - a bag of baking soda from Costco is pretty cheap.

Muriatic acid Is HCL - that turns into salt (NaCl) and water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2) when mixed with baking soda. The amount of salt isn’t significant to worry about, especially diluted with your wash water. If the acid is spent oxidizing the oils or other things in your garage... the acid it self isn’t the bad thing provided it has fully reacted and does not cause ph concerns with runoff
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

An alternative to epoxy is to use racedeck (or equivalent) tiles instead. These are tiles that lock together and can be easily moved or replaced. If you move you can take them with you. No floor prep necessary.
Topic Author
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

As the OP, my professional installer did NOT use acid. He used a diamond grinder to get the slab clean and smooth.

6 years on and the epoxy hasn't lifted at all anywhere. Very happy! We did a light grey with grey/tan/white "sprinkles" added and then top coated.

The only "issue" is that the floor is really nice now. I have a furniture refinishing project I'd like to do, but there won't be any stripper used in MY garage on my swanky epoxy floors. So may just hire that out as well!
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

DIY epoxy coatings not nearly as good as pro. Skip DIY. You’ll get superior performance and lifespan out of pro materials.
z06ray

Post by z06ray »

Have you considered putting down a modular floor? I know it is not epoxy but I would consider it as well.

I recently put down Racedeck in my 2 car garage (20' x 20'). There are other brands out there as well I just never researched them. If you are a member on the garagejournal forum an additional discount comes off as well. It's not cheap, all in I was about $1,200 but it is night and day improvement.

I will say that I liked it becasue if i ever damage a tile, I just pull it up and buy a new one. No need to reapply epoxy. It's very simple to install and remove. You could take it with you when you move. Tons of designs to choose from. Just a suggestion.

https://racedeck.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwjuq ... bUQAvD_BwE
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

I had the Home Depot installer do mine. It looks good, makes cleanup of liquids easy, and is much easier to sweep. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. IIRC, I paid about $1000 for a three car garage.

Seeing that this is a 6 year old thread, the OP has probably made his decision and is on to something else.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
Joylush

Post by Joylush »

We had it done professionally in a large garage. Loved it so much we had an outside porch done and the entire inside done in oir garage apartment as well as the floor on an inside room addition. That was 9 years ago. Still looks brand new.

Use a company that has their own proprietary product and not a painter or installer that buys it off the shelf somewhere. The differences are huge.
diy60

Post by diy60 »

I diy installed the epoxy floor in my garage due to necessity. However I used professional grade high quality materials obtained thru my personal contacts. I would not recommend the stuff available from the big box stores, it's just not the same quality. The prep, materials, and application conditions will make or break the project. The system has been down +10yrs without any peeling or flaking. It exceeded my expectations of extending the life of my deteriorating garage floor.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Moisture gradually works its way up through concrete. Might be a little, might be a lot depending on what the vapor barrier, if any, is under your garage floor.

Before I invested in an epoxy covering I'd want to be sure that it would not be deteriorating, or creating a problem, re the moisture.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Interesting thread.

I did my own garage, and it looks brand new even after ten years. I used Rust-oleum epoxy shield, and I think I spent about $150 all in. It wasn’t difficult to do. The hardest part was emptying out the garage, and staying out of it for a couple days while it dried.

The only thing that ever damaged it was a bit of CPVC primer that dripped on it while doing some plumbing work.

An epoxy floor looks great, and it is really easy to sweep.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

We did it ourselves a couple of years ago and really like it. It looks much better, and cleaning it is far easier. Oils and such don't stain it. Our only complaint is that some of it has flecked off a bit in places.

If you do it, I highly recommend that you avoid driving anything over it for at least two full days after it is applied, and three or four would be better.
The Sensible Steward
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

willthrill81 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:05 pm We did it ourselves a couple of years ago and really like it. It looks much better, and cleaning it is far easier. Oils and such don't stain it. Our only complaint is that some of it has flecked off a bit in places.

If you do it, I highly recommend that you avoid driving anything over it for at least two full days after it is applied, and three or four would be better.
Hot tire resistance is a major obstacle for garage floor coatings.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

Why not a concrete polishing process? I always think that looks very nice and finished when I see it in industrial, restaurant, or hipster gallery type spaces.
Nothing to peel up.
But maybe it's too slippery when wet?
Cheers
atwood

Post by atwood »

I just had my garage painted and the floor covered with epoxy. I got several quotes and went with the guy who had more experience with epoxy. He said he was going to use a professional grade of epoxy and I went to that company's website and chose the base color and flake colors. I also called the company and learned that the more flakes you used the stronger the epoxy--the vinyl flakes give it strength.

Well, the guy sent someone to do the painting and the power washing'acid etching of the floor. The paint job was unacceptable but the next day they came out and fixed it up before starting to put the epoxy on. They had bought the HD rustoleum expoxy rather than the promised professional grade. I stopped him before he started, called the owner's wife and was told the owner would be there tomorrow with the promised epoxy. He never showed, and they never answered my calls or texts. I had paid them nothing fortunately.

In a time bind now because of everything being out of the garage, I made a few calls and bit the bullet and hired a real professional, someone who does commercial properties--tire stores and the like. He did some grinding and filling in of cracks in the concrete. He also put a clear coat on top of the epoxy. I got a lifetime warranty. $2000 for a very professional job. I got him down to $1800 since the floor had already been cleaned but then he asked about doing the raised edges and the price went back up to $2000. National average is $1500-2200 supposedly.

Anyway, the guy did a fantastic job and my wife, who was the one who wanted all this done, is very happy. I was perfectly satisfied with the garage the way it was, but I have to admit it looks great and it's nicer working in it, etc. I also to buy a mop for the water from the cars.

As an aside, as if this weren't long enough, a neighbor recently did his with the kit from HD. It's already coming up in places from the heat from their cars' tires.
Topic Author
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

When I chose our installer, I remember choosing him because of how many commercial jobs he had on his website. One was an airplane hanger floor, which looked reallly nice.
Fat Tails

Post by Fat Tails »

JimmyD wrote: Mon May 11, 2015 2:46 pm I had mine professionally epoxied last year and I absolutely love it. I have a standard 2-car garage and if I recall, paid something like $1,800 with a lifetime warranty. If anything happens, at all, they come out and take care of it. So far, it's still perfect. Just sweep it every couple months, swiffer it, and it looks like brand new. Everyone that sees it is wowed and there's no doubt it adds to the resale value.

I also installed a Gladiator storage system and between those two upgrades, the garage has truly become another nice, usable room of our home versus a place you want to get out of quickly as soon as you step out of your car.

There is one major downfall, however - it's as slippery as hell when it's wet. I've almost killed myself a handful of times. We're extremely careful now when walking on it after the cars have recently been brought in after a rain.
+1, definitely get the anti-skid additive. Much easier to sweep out, wipe up liquid spills, etc, than plain concrete. You must do the acid etching or it will peel.
“Doing well with money has little to do with how smart you are and a lot to do with how you behave.” - Morgan Housel
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

I've had mine done twice, both by "professionals".

First time the guy was a scam artist. He did a pretty poor job and skipped town, never to be heard from again. It held up fine for about 5 years but it looked pretty bad and he missed a few spots.

We had a pipe break and it flooded our garage (and house) so had the opportunity to have it redone. Second company did a great job. Agree with several on here that DIY isn't worth it with big box store kits and how important the prep work is.

Please add the anti-slip materials. We did NOT do that and regret it. We've had a few nasty falls on ours.

Good luck!
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

Quick tip re: anti-slip: you can tell them to not scrape the chips quite as smooth as they might typically do and it achieves the same effect as having the additive put in. Zero extra cost since it means slightly less work for the contractor. They wanted $300 for the additive.

We just did this on our 3 car garage and are very happy with it.
diy60

Post by diy60 »

2Scoops wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:20 am I've had mine done twice, both by "professionals".

Please add the anti-slip materials. We did NOT do that and regret it. We've had a few nasty falls on ours.

Good luck!
Epoxy has great adhesion properties, particularly to like-kind epoxy. You can add the anti-slip layers after the fact (prep is key). I added mine the following year, going over a decade and has been flawless.