Preventing people from disturbing wet sidewalk cement.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mr_breen

Preventing people from disturbing wet sidewalk cement.

Post by mr_breen » Mon May 11, 2015 12:09 pm

Tomorrow, I am having a contractor demolish and re-pour two segments of sidewalk in front of my house. The sidewalk is on a busy street with pedestrian traffic. In the past, I have had people intentionally deface the wet cement - writing initials and stuff. I imagine my contractor is going to properly block off the wet sidewalk segments with caution tape from pedestrians, but I doubt that will prevent malicious vandals.

I can't be home tomorrow while this is going on, so I'm in a compromised position in terms of preventing damage. Does anyone have ideas on how to prevent this vandalism? I'm thinking of printing out some signs on paper the contractor can tape around the job site. Can anyone think of something I can write that will deter people from damaging the wet cement?

Thanks

runner9

Re: Preventing people from disturbing wet sidewalk cement.

Post by runner9 » Mon May 11, 2015 12:22 pm

"This site under constant video surveillance, please do not disturb or deface the sidewalk"

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon May 11, 2015 12:26 pm

I've seen a lot of "Smile, you are on camera" signs lately.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Mon May 11, 2015 12:43 pm

Hire someone to sit out there, or better yet arrange this for a day when you can be there. Get a lawn chair and sit out there.

I had a sidewalk defaced badly three times and redone twice. Finally I gave up and left the third mess. I was planning on being there the third time, but the contractor showed up early. Someone did see the kid who did it the third time, and I contacted his parents, but I got nowhere with them. I suppose I could have called the cops, but my neighbor who saw him did not want to be involved. Cost a mint to redo it.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Mon May 11, 2015 12:46 pm

If you wait a couple weeks, there will be a large supply of HS and college kids you could hire to sit and monitor the situation.

Might already be some home from college -- you could ask around the neighborhood.

CABob

Post by CABob » Mon May 11, 2015 1:07 pm

Pit bull? :mrgreen:
Bob

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Mon May 11, 2015 1:20 pm

Construction police detail. Looks to be about $35 per hour with a 4 hour minimum in my community.

Carlton

Post by Carlton » Mon May 11, 2015 1:40 pm

After the concrete has been troweled and finished, cover with poly plastic sheeting weighed down with dirt outside the forms. Another plus it slows the cure and makes for better concrete.

FuyuKei

Post by FuyuKei » Mon May 11, 2015 3:12 pm

Just another option, though I think a sign would probably be fine too.

You could potentially "wet cure"/"moist cure" the concrete. So you turn on your lawn sprinklers continuously for a week which keeps people away. It also makes the concrete cure more slowly, which actually makes for better concrete.
Probably the best method for curing concrete, although sometimes the least practical, is to flood the surface continuously with water for the first week after placement. Do not let the concrete dry out. Contractors sometimes will recommend to a homeowner to wet a new driveway during its first week. But, if concrete dries between soakings, this alternate wetting and drying may actually damage the concrete. If you are going to water cure, keep the sprinkler going continuously for at least one week.
Source: http://www.kuhlman-corp.com/curing.asp

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Mon May 11, 2015 6:00 pm

Motion sensor water cannon. 8-)

They're intended for deer, but I think they would be work perfectly for this case.

rob

Post by rob » Mon May 11, 2015 6:10 pm

This concrete is coated with carcinogens - seek immediate medical attention if you come into contact. :oops:

Our garage is full of cat foot prints :(
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray » Mon May 11, 2015 6:16 pm

Maybe cover the wet concrete with tarp, weigh down the edges of the tarp, and possibly place a flat board on top of the tarp?

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Tue May 12, 2015 10:49 am

If someone lightly defaces some wet concrete you can use a push broom to fix it.

flycowboy

Post by flycowboy » Tue May 12, 2015 2:04 pm

depends on where you live. Here in the southwest almost nobody does wet cures. A concrete driveway will dry beyond scratching a name in it in a day if it's poured early morning. But that's in the southwest. When I lived up in Utah a lot of people do wet cures and a 4,000 psi mix ([OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]). If you're worried about somebody defacing your concrete, you can talk about adding an accelerator to your mix, or you can have them pour a higher slump concrete so that it dries faster as well.
Best of luck with it!