Lightweight camping gear

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Lightweight camping gear

Post by ThankYouJack »

Any recommendations for lightweight camping gear for the summer? I'm planning on getting a solo tent and am also wondering about good food options. For the tent, I'd like it to handle well in the wind, rain, be around 3 pounds, compact, well ventilated and not that much money.
TxAg

Re: Lightweight camping gear

Post by TxAg »

I have this tent but the two man version (i use it for just myself. It's closer to 4.5# though. I really, really recommend it. Without the fly, it is very breezy and with the fly it is fully weatherproof.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BU7B9P ... 5XXE8HVZX1

Another option would be to look at hammock camping. I love my ENO (eagle's neat outfitters) for a nap, but can't sleep thwr all night. Some folks do and swear by it.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

What about REI's Quarter Dome Tent currently on sale for $169? package weight is 3 lbs 7 oz. Min trail weight is 2 lb 14oz.
http://www.rei.com/product/864796/rei-q ... ab-reviews

REI Quarter Dome 1 tent is a little lighter - package weight is 2 lb 10oz, min trail weight is 2 lbs 2 oz. $219.

I believe REI will have a big sale sometime in May so you may be able to pick something up with 20% coupon.
Wiki
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Here is information from REI about Ultralight Backpacking Basics: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ ... cking.html
Best Wishes, | Joe
Drewman

Post by Drewman »

I have gotten my family into Alps Mountaineering.
Here is a great tent

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineeri ... B00B9GCRL4

Just do an internet search for dehydrated food. I have used mountain house and cache lake. I prefer the breakfast options. But I often like my scrambled eggs runny...
Drewman

Post by Drewman »

for backpacks we have always gone with Deuter.

Down sleeping bags we tend to use Marmot.

As long as you stay away from the big box stores you will be fine.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

The less it weighs the more it costs.

In my experience, the biggest weight loss you can get is simply doing without stuff. Pills instead of filters, no tent, one set of clothes, a measuring cup with a spoon instead of plate, cup, bowl, fork, knife, spoon etc. Don't take anything you're not positive you'll use (aside from emergency gear, which should be pretty limited.)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

ThankYouJack wrote:For the tent, I'd like it to handle well in the wind, rain, be around 3 pounds, compact, well ventilated and not that much money.
The lighter the tent, the less well it handles wind/rain/snow, horizontal blowing sand etc. However, you can get light, cheap, compact, and well-ventilated pretty easy. Just don't expect it to handle a real storm.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

TxAg wrote:I have this tent but the two man version (i use it for just myself. It's closer to 4.5# though. I really, really recommend it. Without the fly, it is very breezy and with the fly it is fully weatherproof.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BU7B9P ... 5XXE8HVZX1

Another option would be to look at hammock camping. I love my ENO (eagle's neat outfitters) for a nap, but can't sleep thwr all night. Some folks do and swear by it.
That looks good. Is the packed size really 8"x30"? That seems big for a solo tent. Here's another option from Eureka but more like a bivy - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EQ ... _i=desktop

I have a hammock but I agree -- it would tough to sleep in it all night, especially if I'm camping on the beach :)
DSInvestor wrote:What about REI's Quarter Dome Tent currently on sale for $169? package weight is 3 lbs 7 oz. Min trail weight is 2 lb 14oz.
http://www.rei.com/product/864796/rei-q ... ab-reviews

REI Quarter Dome 1 tent is a little lighter - package weight is 2 lb 10oz, min trail weight is 2 lbs 2 oz. $219.

I believe REI will have a big sale sometime in May so you may be able to pick something up with 20% coupon.
I'm a big REI fan so would be interested in checking this out the next time I'm in the store. I just watch a youtube video about it and the reviewer didn't seem too keen on it but she was also nitpicking.
Drewman wrote:I have gotten my family into Alps Mountaineering.
Here is a great tent

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineeri ... B00B9GCRL4

Just do an internet search for dehydrated food. I have used mountain house and cache lake. I prefer the breakfast options. But I often like my scrambled eggs runny...
I just used my Alps Mountaineering sleeping bag for the first time last week. It's a great sleeping bag for the price.

Most dehydrated food requires boiling water right? If I'm trying to save weight, I'd rather not take my stove and extra water. My usual goto is peanut butter banana sandwiches, trail mix, cliff bars. Peanut butter mixed with honey is great to have on hand too if you need an energy boost.
EmergDoc wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote:For the tent, I'd like it to handle well in the wind, rain, be around 3 pounds, compact, well ventilated and not that much money.
The lighter the tent, the less well it handles wind/rain/snow, horizontal blowing sand etc. However, you can get light, cheap, compact, and well-ventilated pretty easy. Just don't expect it to handle a real storm.
Most of my trips are only for 1 night where I keep an eye on the weather so I'm not too concerned about it being able to handle big storms. But I'm wondering if the weight savings is worth it. My current tent is 8 lbs and 24" x 7" packed, but it's a 3 person tent and has performed great every place I've taken it. Dropping 5 pounds while also decreasing the packed size would be worth it. Dropping on 3 or 4, I'm not sure.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Google "ultralight hiking gear list" and "lightweight hiking gear list" for ideas. There are plenty of them out there.

tarptent.com has light, durable shelters. I hiked with a Rainbow model for five months and would definitely recommend it if you use hiking poles.

You are always looking at a relationship between price, weight, and durability. Usually you have to sacrifice one to some extent.

Look at your big four first: shelter, backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad.

Then look at clothing and food/water gear. Homemade alcohol stoves work well.

Do without, have multipurpose items, don't carry spares or anything you don't absolutely need.

Mountain House meals are light and filling but expensive over the long term. There are plenty of ideas for meals on hiking sites.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

I love the lightweight gear I have from:

Zpacks
Gossamer gear (they have a good blog)
Mountain Laurel Designs
Cooke Custom Sewing
MSR
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

I use a one pound bivy and love it for 3 season. If the weather looked very wet I'd bring my homemade silnylon tarp to provide room for drying,changing,and eating. Tarp is 12 ounces including ties.
hoopy

Post by hoopy »

I really like my ultralight Terra Nova tent. It costs more than most other options here, but weighs less than a pound.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

are you looking for a car camping tent or a backpacking tent?

for backpacking, i currently use a big agnes freestanding tent. doesn't meet your criteria for cheap, though.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

After looking around a bit, I'm leaning towards the ALPS Zephyr (Zenith) 2 person tent. I think the extra space will be a nice plus, especially if my daughter gets interested when she gets older. The tent is 4.5 lbs packed, but packs down to 18x6" so a similar pack size to many of the solo tents. The peak height is 38" and it's offset which will be nice for sitting up or changing. It's at Sierra Trading Post for $140 and only $90 after coupon code. The only thing holding me back is I'm not sure how much I'll use it over my other tents, but I'll probably get decent use out of it assuming it lasts 5-10 years
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Agree with the doc, reducing the packing list helps a lot. For example carry high density no-cook food and leave the stove and fuel behind. Carry a piece of lightweight plastic sheet and some cord to make a shelter when needed, otherwise just use it for a ground cloth and sleep sans tent. I have done this many times.

If you want to use a tent, I also have and really like the MSR Hubba NX 2 person tent. Never had it out in a gale and again as the doc says, super light weight and super strong don't go together.

Carry a minimally warm sleeping bag and wear clothes to bed if it is going to be too cold. If you did carry a stove, make a hot water bottle and toss it in the bag when you go to sleep.

Have fun.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

ThankYouJack wrote:After looking around a bit, I'm leaning towards the ALPS Zephyr (Zenith) 2 person tent. I think the extra space will be a nice plus, especially if my daughter gets interested when she gets older. The tent is 4.5 lbs packed, but packs down to 18x6" so a similar pack size to many of the solo tents. The peak height is 38" and it's offset which will be nice for sitting up or changing. It's at Sierra Trading Post for $140 and only $90 after coupon code. The only thing holding me back is I'm not sure how much I'll use it over my other tents, but I'll probably get decent use out of it assuming it lasts 5-10 years
Bit heavier than I like, but at $90 how far wrong can you go?
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Now that I have a tent picked out, here’s what I’m thinking for gear. I’m going for more comfort than minimalist but it would be interesting to weigh everything:

Tent
Tent stakes (or could use bags depending on condition)
Pack
Sleeping bag
Thermarest sleeping pad - size small (optional if sleeping on beach in warm weather)
Thermarest pillow (optional, could use towel instead or could get an inflatable pillow)
Towel (optional - either small beach towel or a fast drying towel)
Travel toiletries (soap, toothbrush, toothpaste)
Base layers and balaclava to sleep in if needed
Clothing (UPF specific for beach trips)
Sunscreen
Sunglasses
iPhone & solar powered charger
Optional - extra LED light other than one on iPhone
Whistle, Maps, Compass and other safety gear if needed

Footwear depending on the outing (hiking shoes, lightweight sandals, neoprene socks)

Food (peanut butter banana sandwiches, honey & peanut butter mix, trail mix or something for desert), water, gatorade mix
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

What kind of hiking are you planning to do: terrain, miles per day, number of days out ?
investor1

Post by investor1 »

ThankYouJack wrote:Tent stakes (or could use bags depending on condition)
You already mentioned you tend to do overnighters with an eye on the weather. In my experience, you don't need tent stakes (other than the ones for the rain fly). Put your pack in the tent, that and your weight is enough. You can even use rocks for the rain fly if needed.
snowman

Post by snowman »

I have been doing this for over 30 years. I started with a very, very bad quality equipment because I had no money at that time, but I really enjoyed being outdoors and I learned with each trip what works and what doesn't. Over time, you develop a list of essential items you must take with you, everything else is optional (luxury).

Most of my treks are done in high alpine environment, which requires somewhat different approach. You need to decide WHERE you plan to backpack, as the list will be tailored to that environment.

For my needs, a lightweight 2-person tent is best - it accommodates gear on a solo trip, or a partner when not alone. Fly and stakes are a must! Good sleeping bag is essential - absolutely the key piece of equipment in high country. Lots of good manufacturers out there, but you cannot go wrong with Marmot; buy only on sale as their products are expensive.

Any lightweight sleeping pad will suffice; I have had my Therm-a-rest for 20 years, still works fine.

To save on weight, I tend to skip on clothes - every piece serves multiple purposes. One spoon, one knife for all cooking and eating needs. I could continue, but you get the point. Let me know if you have specific questions. And enjoy the great outdoors!
RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford »

My recommendation would be the forums at this site:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/

... full of tons of knowledge and helpful people. Reading 'em is free, or for $5/year you can also post.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Dutch wrote:What kind of hiking are you planning to do: terrain, miles per day, number of days out ?
Ideally the trips will vary quite a bit: hiking steepish mountains, bikepacking smoother mountains trails, paddling to islands / beaches. Most of the trips will just be out and back in two days. I could see myself doing longer trips in a few years when I have more vacation time and my family is older.

But part of my challenge now is am I going to use the tent only a few times in the next few years and then want something more specific or better. I like being resourceful and not having a lot of stuff sit on shelves. But I think having a lighter more portable tent than what I have now will make me more excited to plan more adventurous outings. And at only $90 I figure I'll at least get some use out of the ALPS tent and I could give it away down the road or keep as a back up if I wanted something higher end and more specific to my needs.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

investor1 wrote:
You already mentioned you tend to do overnighters with an eye on the weather. In my experience, you don't need tent stakes (other than the ones for the rain fly). Put your pack in the tent, that and your weight is enough. You can even use rocks for the rain fly if needed.
True, I've also thought about taking plastic shopping and filling them with sand and using them as an anchor. But I've been camping on the beach in windy conditions and a tent flapping quickly gets annoying so I'll probably pick up a pair of these - http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mounta ... t~p~4363c/ At half an ounce a piece, the weight should be well worth the ease of use
RustyShackleford wrote:My recommendation would be the forums at this site:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/

... full of tons of knowledge and helpful people. Reading 'em is free, or for $5/year you can also post.
Thanks for the link. Will be interesting to look through.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Definitely want a headlamp. Weighs almost nothing and works great (you don't need a high end one, the basic LED headlamps work fine). Never know when you need to get up and deal with something at night, or get to campsite after dark because trail was harder than expected, whatever. I consider this an indispensable piece of safety equipment.

I consider a pillow waaay far down the list. Put some soft clothes in your sleeping bag stuff sack and you have a pillow.

I notice no cook or eating gear. I often do not carry these and just eat nuts, cheese, dried fruit, chocolate, hard salami etc. But if you want to cook or just a hot cup of coffee you'll need a basic stove and cook kit.

If you are doing hard hiking you may want some comfy shoes for camp (foam shoes, nice flip flops, super light running shoes, etc.) These can also do double duty to protect your feet during stream crossings if you do not want to sock your main footwear.
Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 »

To throw in my $0.02, what you're searching for may be the outdoor holy grail. If you want gear that is lightweight, you may be sacrificing durability. And if it possesses that durability, it's likely you'll need to pay a premium for it.

I look at this approach as having three questions:

1. What kind of camping do you plan on?
If you camp in an area without many insects, a lightweight tarp or a bivy sack could be all you need. If you've ever tried to wait out a storm zipped up in your bivy sack, however, the appeal of a tent becomes clear. Mountaineering tents -- made to survive very bad weather -- tend to weigh 10+ lbs. It seems you've found your tent, however.

2. What gear gives the best value?
You found a tent on sale, which is a good start. As an owner of much outdoor gear, there are some things that end up on every trip. For example, there may be more lightweight options than the MSR Whisperlite stove, but few as reliable and field maintainable. I've used the same one for over 15 years. I have a nice lightweight down bag, which I bought in 1999 and is still in excellent shape. These are the types of core products to identify.

3. What don't you need?
I applaud you for wanting to get outdoors. Every trip, look at your food and gear and take a few minutes to consider what you could have lived without. Then consider whether eliminating that gear would cut your margin of safety too thin; e.g., if it doesn't rain you don't need rain gear, but what happens if you're caught without it. It's likely a case where you'll in turns get smart or strong. Everyone carries a little too much early on, and goes a little hungry and cold on another trip. Eventually you may get to the point where you cut off the handle on your toothbrush and remove all the tags from your clothing to shave grams, but I wouldn't start there.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

investor1 wrote:
Will depend entirely on the tent design. Some require stakes for structural reasons, others not. It may be possible to substitute ground level cords to trees for stakes, but some tents require honest to goodness tension or they don't stand.

At any rate modern lightweight stakes are extremely light and take up little room.
Last edited by Rodc on Tue May 12, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Rodc wrote:Definitely want a headlamp. Weighs almost nothing and works great (you don't need a high end one, the basic LED headlamps work fine). Never know when you need to get up and deal with something at night, or get to campsite after dark because trail was harder than expected, whatever. I consider this an indispensable piece of safety equipment.

I consider a pillow waaay far down the list. Put some soft clothes in your sleeping bag stuff sack and you have a pillow.

I notice no cook or eating gear. I often do not carry these and just eat nuts, cheese, dried fruit, chocolate, hard salami etc. But if you want to cook or just a hot cup of coffee you'll need a basic stove and cook kit.

If you are doing hard hiking you may want some comfy shoes for camp (foam shoes, nice flip flops, super light running shoes, etc.) These can also do double duty to protect your feet during stream crossings if you do not want to sock your main footwear.
After going on a big camping outing, I noticed that most people had headlamps, so I bought one myself. But I hardly ever use it myself. I recently bought a USB LED stick that works well if I need to light up the entire tent or I have a really small LED light that is surprising light if I need to walk in the dark, or I could just hold it in my mouth if I need to use both hands.

On just a two day trip I won't have extra clothes for a pillow, but I could use a towel if I have one on a hand. I've used a sweatshirt before -- I can sleep on a hard surface, but like a half decent pillow.

Seems like a lot of things are personal preference and it's finding the right tool for the job sort of thing.
Alf 101 wrote:To throw in my $0.02, what you're searching for may be the outdoor holy grail. If you want gear that is lightweight, you may be sacrificing durability. And if it possesses that durability, it's likely you'll need to pay a premium for it.
It seems like mountain biking. There are three things everyone wants: light, durable, inexpensive -- Pick Two.
Alf 101 wrote:
I look at this approach as having three questions:

1. What kind of camping do you plan on?
If you camp in an area without many insects, a lightweight tarp or a bivy sack could be all you need. If you've ever tried to wait out a storm zipped up in your bivy sack, however, the appeal of a tent becomes clear. Mountaineering tents -- made to survive very bad weather -- tend to weigh 10+ lbs. It seems you've found your tent, however.
That reminds of a time I slept on towel on a beach in Hawaii with a couple friends. It started raining so we moved for cover in a small cave. We woke up soon later and noticed a bunch of cockroaches around us. Luckily the rain didn't last long, but a bivy would have been nice!
Alf 101 wrote: 3. What don't you need?
I applaud you for wanting to get outdoors. Every trip, look at your food and gear and take a few minutes to consider what you could have lived without. Then consider whether eliminating that gear would cut your margin of safety too thin; e.g., if it doesn't rain you don't need rain gear, but what happens if you're caught without it. It's likely a case where you'll in turns get smart or strong. Everyone carries a little too much early on, and goes a little hungry and cold on another trip. Eventually you may get to the point where you cut off the handle on your toothbrush and remove all the tags from your clothing to shave grams, but I wouldn't start there.
I don't think I'll ever get obsessive about saving grams unless I'm hiking the entire PCT or Appalachian Trail. But I totally agree about safety. I often go out in hot weather and usually take a lot more water than I actually need. That's something I could get better at and bring iodine tablets just in case. I should also take advil and benadryl (since I'm allergic to bees). I remember seeing a graphic in Outdoor magazine the chance of dying on an outing -- bee stings, falling, heat attack / stroke were way up there -- bears and sharks were way less common.
James2

Post by James2 »

ThankYouJack wrote:After looking around a bit, I'm leaning towards the ALPS Zephyr (Zenith) 2 person tent. I think the extra space will be a nice plus, especially if my daughter gets interested when she gets older. The tent is 4.5 lbs packed, but packs down to 18x6" so a similar pack size to many of the solo tents. The peak height is 38" and it's offset which will be nice for sitting up or changing. It's at Sierra Trading Post for $140 and only $90 after coupon code. The only thing holding me back is I'm not sure how much I'll use it over my other tents, but I'll probably get decent use out of it assuming it lasts 5-10 years
+1 I love this tent, had it for a few years.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

On just a two day trip I won't have extra clothes for a pillow, but I could use a towel if I have one on a hand. I've used a sweatshirt before -- I can sleep on a hard surface, but like a half decent pillow.
If you want to go light I would suggest that it might be better to carry something like a sweatshirt even if you think you will not need it rather an a pillow or a towel (unless say going to the beach where a towel has lots of utility) because sometimes you misjudge the weather or get wet and need to swap out for something dry, it does triple duty as a piece of clothing, makes a pretty good towel, and makes a pretty good pillow. A pillow does pretty much only one thing. A towel does only two things. If you look around you will not find many experienced backpackers carrying a pillow because the utility to bother ratio is low.

If you want to go light it really helps to have something that does multiple jobs. Kind of like the head lamp, sure some other things can kind of work. First time you get caught on a difficult trail that might take use of hands to clamber up or down steep sections, or you have arms full of fire wood or even dishes you washed at a campground sink and have your arms full walking back to your tent, you'll find the value of having a lightweight headlamp (which does multiple duty for lighting a tent, reading light at night, hiking in the dark, etc.). You mention holding a light in your mouth. Not very good for much beyond a short walk and heaven forbid you trip on a rock or tree root. I strongly suggest this is less than optimal. Though maybe better than running with scissors. :)

That said:
Seems like a lot of things are personal preference and it's finding the right tool for the job sort of thing.
Over time you will find what does and does not work well for you.

Happy camping! :)
RustyShackleford

Rodc wrote: If you want to go light I would suggest that it might be better to carry something like a sweatshirt
I applaud you for suggesting "multi-use", a great way to save weight. But not a sweatshirt. They are typically cotton or cotton blend, and one general rule of backcountry travel is not to bring cotton, as it looses all insulating ability when wet, and does not dry out very quickly; the exception to this rule is hot desert travel, where a wet cotton shirt is a godsend.

For warmth, polypro is great, and wool (merino wool products like SmartWool and IceBreaker) s even better, because it does not retain and amplify body odors - but it's quite expensive.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

RustyShackleford wrote:
Rodc wrote: If you want to go light I would suggest that it might be better to carry something like a sweatshirt
I applaud you for suggesting "multi-use", a great way to save weight. But not a sweatshirt. They are typically cotton or cotton blend, and one general rule of backcountry travel is not to bring cotton, as it looses all insulating ability when wet, and does not dry out very quickly; the exception to this rule is hot desert travel, where a wet cotton shirt is a godsend.

For warmth, polypro is great, and wool (merino wool products like SmartWool and IceBreaker) s even better, because it does not retain and amplify body odors - but it's quite expensive.
Yeah, I almost brought that up because you are right, often cotton which has limited backcountry value. Could be fleece. I have 100 weight hoodie I often use because it is light and has a tight fitting hood that fits under a ski or climbing helmet. Works as a warm layer and pillow, not for a towel. I also often carry a light puffy (sometimes called a down sweather, though I use Pimaloft which is much better if it gets wet) which has its own little stuff sack and so makes a really good pillow.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

I'm a long distance hiker with a 8 lb summer base weight - here's what I recommend.

Tent: www.tarptent.com
Pack: www.ula-equipment.com
Sleeping Bag: www.westernmountaineering.com
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

tbradnc wrote:I'm a long distance hiker with a 8 lb summer base weight - here's what I recommend.

Tent: http://www.tarptent.com
Pack: http://www.ula-equipment.com
Sleeping Bag: http://www.westernmountaineering.com
I like the tarp tent, though wonder why not just use a tarp? Add a tree or hiking pole and some cord and you have a shelter, or if the weather is clear just lay it on the ground for a ground cloth and sleep under the stars. Cheaper and somewhat more versatile.

I also note that the MSR Hubba tent rain fly is free standing just like the tarp tent, so in cases where you know that is all you need just carry that. In cases where you might need or desire a full tent take the rest of the kit.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

Tarps are great if you're experienced in site selection and different pitching techniques with your tarp. They're not as forgiving as a tent, which is an enclosed shelter - when it comes to wind and rain protection.

Also, some people don't like tarps because creepy-crawlies can get on you since you're not inside a tent.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

RustyShackleford wrote:

I agree. Multi-use is good, but sometimes you want the right tool for the job. There's no way I would take a bulky cotton sweatshirt on an outing with temperatures ranging from 70-95 degrees (or probably any other outing).

I love wool socks. I also have an IceBreaker merino wool sweater which is amazing in terms of size/weight to warmth. But I find wool not as comfortable and not as durable as some of the polyester baselayer products that I have. Tight clothing (including snug sleeping bags) retain heat much better and my preference for sweatshirts is polyester / spandex with thumb holes, a hood and is water resistant.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

tbradnc wrote:Tarps are great if you're experienced in site selection and different pitching techniques with your tarp. They're not as forgiving as a tent, which is an enclosed shelter - when it comes to wind and rain protection.

Also, some people don't like tarps because creepy-crawlies can get on you since you're not inside a tent.
Agreed.

Does the tarp tent have a floor and such like a tent? I just took a quick look and thought they were sort of like a supported rain fly.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

If money didn't matter and weight did, I'd suggest the Big Agnes Fly Creek - two person is 2 lbs.
Since money does, take a look at SierraTradingPost - Marmot Pulsar 2p, under 4 lbs for $171 w/ coupon (SFB514151)
STP is the place to get good deals, just sign up for their coupon emails and/or google for the best codes.

You can also get a weekend trip package of Backpackers Pantry food for super cheap. I wouldn't eat only that, and usually just take some of those packets on a trip and supplement with other non-dehydrated stuff for variety.

As you're finding out: lighter costs a lot more.

We just purchased a BA Slater UL 2+ tent to shave 2.5 lbs from my SD Sirius 3 (which is an awesome tent for the price I paid years ago) and got some new AirCore pads too. Going in 3 weeks!

Happy trails :)
RustyShackleford

If money doesn't matter too much, you're going to tend to get better quality from small ("cottage" or "boutique") manufacturers, ones that REI would never carry, simply because they cannot (and don't want to) supply the volume that REI requires (among other reasons). My "big three" are all now from such manufacturers: sleeping bag from Western Mountaineering, backpack from ULA equipment, and pyramid shelter from Mountain Laurel Designs. All top quality, very light, astounding customer service.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

I just got my tent - http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alps-t ... ~1156~671/

Sierra Trading Post says that the pack weight is 4.5 lbs so I was a bit disappointed when I weighted it and it was 5.5 lbs. The pack size is still small (6 x 18") but I'm considering returning it because I'm not saving all that much weight from my other tent.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

RustyShackleford wrote:If money doesn't matter too much, you're going to tend to get better quality from small ("cottage" or "boutique") manufacturers, ones that REI would never carry, simply because they cannot (and don't want to) supply the volume that REI requires (among other reasons). My "big three" are all now from such manufacturers: sleeping bag from Western Mountaineering, backpack from ULA equipment, and pyramid shelter from Mountain Laurel Designs. All top quality, very light, astounding customer service.

That is good to know.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Rodc wrote:
Does the tarp tent have a floor and such like a tent? I just took a quick look and thought they were sort of like a supported rain fly.
The tarptent is a tent. At least they were (mine is 10+ years old). Bathtub floor with mesh netting filling the voids in what would essentially otherwise by a tarp.

I've backpacked with all sorts of variations of tarps, bivys, poncho/tarps, pyramid shelters, just the rainfly of a tent, etc. Once I picked up the tarptent, though, the other choices pretty much faded away.