400lbs, delivery or pick up?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Broken Man 1999

Re: 400lbs, delivery or pick up?

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Boglenaut wrote:
dolphinsaremammals wrote:they leave heavy packages against my outward opening only door.
This is a fire hazard. :shock:

Hmmmm, different building codes for different areas of the country, I suppose. All my doors open INTO the home. Which, honestly, is a pain for someone in a wheelchair.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
quercus

Post by quercus »

What is box cleanup like?
I assume it doesn't clump... solids would be easy enough to scoop out... do the liquids get sucked up by the pellets?
Right, it doesn't clump. The pellets absorb the liquids, and tend to start breaking down into sawdust in the part of the box that gets peed on the most.

Forgot to mention that you can also get inexpensive pine pellets at feed stores. They market it as stall bedding for the agriculture industry.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Boglenaut wrote:
dolphinsaremammals wrote:they leave heavy packages against my outward opening only door.

Hmmmm, different building codes for different areas of the country, I suppose. All my doors open INTO the home. Which, honestly, is a pain for someone in a wheelchair.

Broken Man 1999
Some folks may have a door that opens INTO the home and a screen door that opens outwards.
Wiki
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

I go through 40lbs of clay clumping cat litter a week - get it delivered! I wish I could.. I get my cat food delivered once a month in a combo of 200 packs of 4 sachets, 6 trays of 24 tins and 3 25lb sacks.

9 indoor kitties and 12+twice daily visitors to my street cat soup kitchen.

If you have moles on your land - pour the used cat litter down the holes.. they hate it!
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

HongKonger wrote:I go through 40lbs of clay clumping cat litter a week - get it delivered! I wish I could.. I get my cat food delivered once a month in a combo of 200 packs of 4 sachets, 6 trays of 24 tins and 3 25lb sacks.

If you have moles on your land - pour the used cat litter down the holes.. they hate it!
wow.
Good for you.
I applaud your caring and efforts!

If FedEx can make it to your place, I'd bet Chewy.com would deliver... and they have a nice autoship feature.

Good to know about moles... we have moles, voles, chipmunks, and at least 1 family of whistlepigs! All who have decided they like our nicely mowed lawn more than the hay fields around us!

:beerCheers,
packet
First round’s on me.
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

quercus wrote: Forgot to mention that you can also get inexpensive pine pellets at feed stores. They market it as stall bedding for the agriculture industry.
Pine is highly toxic to cats.
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

HongKonger wrote:Pine is highly toxic to cats.
Thanks for mentioning.

packet
Last edited by packet on Thu May 07, 2015 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
First round’s on me.
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

Update... received 10 different FedEx tracking numbers from chewy.com ... :) ... litter on it's way!

I know one of the guys who delivers FedEx to our place... and we play hockey in the same league...
He's not one to go for beers after, so I won't be able to post facto tip him either.
I hope this doesn't backfire on me!

Packet
First round’s on me.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

This clay seem to weigh and take up less space than the bag of clay for garage soak oil spills. :annoyed

Another observation this study to getting rid of dirt that has been used to mask the presence of waste. More comments than most asset allocation questions, market theory, or any life/annuity discussion. I really don't know why I got on this thread? Really don't care for cats, prefer dogs who it the old fashion way- sniffing for that perfect spot :confused
:annoyed
Last edited by itstoomuch on Thu May 07, 2015 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

DSInvestor wrote:
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Boglenaut wrote:

Broken Man 1999
Some folks may have a door that opens INTO the home and a screen door that opens outwards.
That's my situation.
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

itstoomuch wrote:Another observation this study to getting rid of dirt that has been used to mask the presence of waste. More comments than most asset allocation questions, market theory, or any life/annuity discussion....
Didn't you know?
The internet is for cats.

A little surprised myself, I really just wanted a couple folks to push me into having the stuff shipped and get over myself/guilt... it worked... :)

packet
First round’s on me.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

HongKonger wrote:I go through 40lbs of clay clumping cat litter a week - get it delivered! I wish I could.. I get my cat food delivered once a month in a combo of 200 packs of 4 sachets, 6 trays of 24 tins and 3 25lb sacks.

Good to know about the moles.
Those holes they make are impressive :shock:

Another use: for those in snow/ice driving territory, keep a few bags piled in the rear, for more weight over the rear wheels.
IF that isn't sufficient and you get stuck, scatter some of the litter around the rear wheels (assuming rear or all wheel drive), and it will help with the traction.
I actually had to use the litter once, and it worked (or at least, I couldn't get out until I used it).
The looks of the few passing drivers was terrific :happy

Most winters, we just kept the recently purchased supplies in the back, and then unloaded them in the spring, intact.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

Arrived today!

10 boxes, each with 1, 40lbs bag of litter inside (and a smidge of packing paper).
Half the boxes were squashed, but none of the bags therein were breached in any way... :) ... I'm impressed!

Two trips from porch to basement (I have a dolly) and a couple of beers (I have a problem) and we're all set for another few months!

Thanks all for bringing me to my senses!

packet

PS,
Southern Tier 2X Stout... http://www.stbcbeer.com/works-2-cols/2xstout-beer-page/ ... yum!
First round’s on me.
leonard

Post by leonard »

The second that much cat litter was delivered, my kitties would have decided they no longer like it. :D

Same with food.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
SocalLiving

Post by SocalLiving »

Just read the entire thread over my morning coffee. Could not stop laughing as the thread evolved in the usual Boglehead way. Made my morning. You guys are awesome.

I always go to the store to get my cat litter because I feel guilty about getting it delivered. No more!
Thank you OP and Bogleheads :D
Going to be smiling all day today thinking about this thread.
Topic Author
packet

Post by packet »

SocalLiving wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:55 am Just read the entire thread over my morning coffee. Could not stop laughing as the thread evolved in the usual Boglehead way. Made my morning. You guys are awesome.

I always go to the store to get my cat litter because I feel guilty about getting it delivered. No more!
Thank you OP and Bogleheads :D
Going to be smiling all day today thinking about this thread.
Glad you enjoyed it! :)

I've since put the order on automatic, at a reduced count of 6 (240 lbs.) to get free shipping. Love the convenience, can't beat the price locally. Set it and forget it shopping, just like my investing.

:beer Cheers,
packet
First round’s on me.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

With that much wight its probably shipping on a pallet. Are you sure they are going to use UPS and not a truck freight service?

If it is truck freight, beware their may be a surcharge for residential liftgate service and ALL they will do is drop the pallet at the end of your driveway.
chevca

Post by chevca »

jharkin wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:38 am With that much wight its probably shipping on a pallet. Are you sure they are going to use UPS and not a truck freight service?

If it is truck freight, beware their may be a surcharge for residential liftgate service and ALL they will do is drop the pallet at the end of your driveway.
It's a nearly 5 year old thread. Someone just enjoyed the commentary. Read more than just the first post... :happy
Startingover2019

Post by Startingover2019 »

jebmke wrote: Mon May 04, 2015 4:26 pm Can you post a picture of your cat. I'm prepared to be amazed.
Hahahahahahahahhaha!!!!!
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

My cat approves of this thread. I’m amazed that I missed reading it to her the first time around.

I worked for UPS in college. We did deliveries like this all the time. The driver has a cart that everything gets piled upon. No big deal.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
OAG

Post by OAG »

Just checked at Chewy.com 40 lb packages of Cat Litter at $14.50 each plus taxes. So 10 40 lb packages $145 plus tax with FREE delivery. Much easier to handle 10 packages than 1 400 lb one. Where I live I get 2 day delivery via FEDEX. No I do not order 400 lbs of cat litter just a 50 lb bag of dog food and some "treats".
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
chevca

Post by chevca »

OAG wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:23 pm Just checked at Chewy.com 40 lb packages of Cat Litter at $14.50 each plus taxes. So 10 40 lb packages $145 plus tax with FREE delivery. Much easier to handle 10 packages than 1 400 lb one. Where I live I get 2 day delivery via FEDEX. No I do not order 400 lbs of cat litter just a 50 lb bag of dog food and some "treats".
Just checked... this thread is from 2015. Does your info apply to 5 years ago??

Another... read more than the first post.