Digital Pen and Tablet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Digital Pen and Tablet

Post by General Disarray » Sun May 03, 2015 6:17 pm

Can anyone recommend me an inexpensive but high quality digital pen and tablet? I've never used one, so started my search on Amazon.

The purpose of this product is to allow me to draw sketches and cartoons using a fine-point pencil/pen-like device. The lines need to be sharp and not wavy/shaky and precise, as if I am actually drawing on a piece of paper. I then want to transfer the drawing to my computer so I can edit it, fill in the drawing with color, etc.

cheese_breath

Re: Digital Pen and Tablet

Post by cheese_breath » Sun May 03, 2015 6:33 pm

The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything » Sun May 03, 2015 6:33 pm

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sun May 03, 2015 6:43 pm

I believe a wacom tablet would to be be physically connected to a computer. If you need to be able to while a way from your computer and you have a tablet like an iPad, you can get a drawing app and use it with a pen/stylus. Here's a youtube video of Adobe Sketchbook app for iPad that shows the artist using finger and stylus to draw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaWloob8PVQ

You can use a stylus with any app on iPad and I assume it's true for android tablets too.
Wiki

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sun May 03, 2015 6:43 pm

I believe a wacom tablet would to be be physically connected to a computer. If you need to be able to while a way from your computer and you have a tablet like an iPad, you can get a drawing app and use it with a pen/stylus. Here's a youtube video of Adobe Sketchbook app for iPad that shows the artist using finger and stylus to draw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaWloob8PVQ

You can use a stylus with any app on iPad and I assume it's true for android tablets too.

youtube video of review of styli:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEjhzOgx-j8
Last edited by DSInvestor on Sun May 03, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Sun May 03, 2015 6:44 pm

Software: SketchBook Pro

I use SketchBook Pro as my primary software. It's lite weight, less expensive, and surprisingly powerful.

Hardware: There's 2 basic types of tablets for drawings: pen tablets and drawing tablets with a screen.

Pen tablets: Huion and Wacom are your two best primary options. Huion's are cheaper ($60~90 depending on the size) and work well. The Huion tablets are rebranded under several names, but it's all the same hardware. Wacom's pricier and looks nicer, but cost almost double ($80-200) and really functions the same. If using a Mac, stay away from the Huion as the drivers are known to be compatibility issues.

Pen tablets have a slight learning curve to pen tablets for the hand-eye coordination, but I picked it up within an hour of playing around.

Screen Tablets: These are expensive and there is no inexpensive option worth considering IMO. Wacom's Cintiq HD is the way to go. There are cheaper options, but the color calibration and build quality of the Cintiq are awesome. They are pricey ($900-$2500), but the other options are few and it's not worth saving ~10% for a sub-standard machine with poor color calibration. The Cintiq HDs are a professional level machine and many professional digital artists use it as their primary hardware.

Amateur just starting out (probably given the question): I suggest SketchBook Pro (~$70) and a Huion pen tablet or Wacom Intuos. For $130~300, you will get a ton of millage out this combo.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon May 04, 2015 12:40 am

If you want a stand-alone tablet, I would get one that supports an active digitizer, since capacitive screens like those on the iPad are not known for their fine control for art. So that would be something that uses either a Wacom or N-Trig digitizer. At the lower-end of the price range, you'd probably be best off with one of the Galaxy Note tablets (it has to be the Note models to get the digitizer). There's a host of options at the $1000 price range.

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray » Mon May 04, 2015 9:49 am

I just purchased this Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch Small Tablet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EN2 ... _i=desktop

We shall see how it turns out! Thank you for all the suggestions.