What to use to clean car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

What to use to clean car

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun May 03, 2015 12:16 pm

What do you use to clean the inside and outside of your car? What works well on a leather interior? I don't need it to sparkling clean, just looking to remove the dirt and help preserve.

cheese_breath

Re: What to use to clean car

Post by cheese_breath » Sun May 03, 2015 12:40 pm

For the outside use a product specifically sold for vehicles. Do not use dishwash detergent, or laundry detergent, or anything else not specifically designated for cars. At my age I hardly do it myself anymore, but I still have an old bottle of Turtle Wax car wash in my garage. Any good car wash liquid should do though. For the inside ArmorAll cleaning wipes do a decent job on dashboard and doors. I don't have leather seats so I can't help you there.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp » Sun May 03, 2015 1:55 pm

For leather, I recommend: Meguiar's G10916 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - 15.2 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002V9IFU/re ... rvb04K1052

For interior detailing, I recommend: Meguiar's G13616 Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner - 16 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AMLWH8/re ... rvb1X3XZFT
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun May 03, 2015 2:08 pm

I second the meguire rec above. I find all their products to be great, including the car wax.
Mike

FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 » Sun May 03, 2015 2:29 pm

I've never noticed much difference between cheap vs. expensive. For exterior care I use Meguirs Deep Crystal wash and Turtle Wax's Wax as U Dry. Weather permitting I wash and spray the Turtle Wax stuff weekly. Car looks good. Sorry, no experience with leather care.

magellan

Post by magellan » Sun May 03, 2015 3:35 pm

Don't underestimate the power of a bucket of warm water and a damp cloth for detailing an auto interior (and lots of cleaning jobs). Many cleaning products leave behind residues and odors, but usually not water. If your tap water has chlorine in it, you might want to try distilled or bottled instead.

After years of buying specialized products for cleaning my car interior, I mostly use a damp rag now. You don't get that fake wax residue shine on everything and IMO the result looks cleaner and smells better.

I recently had a few stains on my auto carpet and warm water and some light scrubbing took the stains out in just a few minutes. With a carpet cleaner, I'd always end up with that not quite fresh cleaning product fragrance for several days afterwards.

Sure, sometimes a cleaner or protective product is needed, but IMO it's not a bad idea to try with water first. You'd be amazed how often that's all that's needed.

Just keep the water in the bucket clean, and have multiple rags on hand so you're never using a dirty one.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun May 03, 2015 3:53 pm

Meguiar's is highly thought of, as mentioned above.

I use Adam's products, applied with microfiber cloths. I'm very happy with them.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Sun May 03, 2015 3:58 pm

For leather - Lexol (both cleaner and conditioner). Awesome stuff for maintaining leather.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Sun May 03, 2015 4:30 pm

One more suggestion for car interior is Turtlewax Ice Interior cleaner and protectant. I am addicted to this stuff - does a great job cleaning and gives dash, trim, etc a nice sheen but definitely not shiny or greasy like most products do. Also, many products seem to attract dust and this does not. The smell is kind of odd, but I like it. :beer

Beck49

Post by Beck49 » Sun May 03, 2015 5:45 pm

I'm sure there a lot of good options, and you will no doubt hear about many of them with a question like this. I'd recommend Zaino products https://www.zainostore.com/ It's a little pricey, so not likely a go to option for many Bogleheads.

The upside is the durability because it's not a wax. It also looks great. I put it on once a year, live through treacherous NE winters with salt, and it looks great and water still beads. However, it's a bit of an effort to use the products together and requires some attention to surface preparation.

Also in terms of cleaning off old wax, I think Dawn is the preferred option because it will cut through the old stuff. After that you need a good car cleaning solution so you don't destroy all of your work.

Good luck.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sun May 03, 2015 6:24 pm

If you rib your hand across the surface of your vehicle and can feel little rough spots (and you probably can) then best to use a clay bar before waxing. All the brands seem to work equally well,.e
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

DFWinvestor

Post by DFWinvestor » Sun May 03, 2015 6:42 pm

Traveller wrote:For leather - Lexol (both cleaner and conditioner). Awesome stuff for maintaining leather.

This is what I use and I have been happy with it thus far. Use micro fiber cloths to apply them.

JDot

Post by JDot » Sun May 03, 2015 7:20 pm

I have a friend who is such an anal car person that he literally wrote me a multi page email about how to clean a black car. To this day, I wish I had that email. Anyways, he used Meguiar's a lot. (so do I now)

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon May 04, 2015 8:11 am

Hawaiishrimp wrote:For leather, I recommend: Meguiar's G10916 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - 15.2 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002V9IFU/re ... rvb04K1052

For interior detailing, I recommend: Meguiar's G13616 Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner - 16 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AMLWH8/re ... rvb1X3XZFT

Thanks for the replies. I plan to go with these. Does anyone know how the wipes compare with bottles? Also, are any harsh chemicals used in the products? I have a toddler so am thinking the wipes could be good for quick and easy cleanup.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon May 04, 2015 8:31 am

I use Meguiars Products,inside and out :happy

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/home.do?p ... oC63Lw_wcB
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon May 04, 2015 8:51 am

Plain soap and water for the leather with a non-abrasive cloth or sponge for the upholstery or a commercial leather cleaner liquid recommended by a furniture manufacturer. A leather preserver is a good after cleaning treatment especially if your car constantly sits in the sun. Soap and water with a frequently rinsed big sponge or soft chamois towel for the outside as well. I too have to admit I don't do my own any longer.

eagerinvestor

Post by eagerinvestor » Mon May 04, 2015 9:16 am

The Meguiars Gold Class soap is awesome for washing. It doesn't strip wax and smells awesome. If you need to clean leather you can use a mixture of Woolite and water; using 6:1 or 7:1 water to Woolite will work. I use Aerospace Protectant 303 for my dash and any plastic interior and exterior trim, it does not leave a greasy look like ArmorAll does. You can also use it on your tires, it will leave a nice gleam and won't fly all over your paint when you drive. For sealant-different than wax but the principle is the same, I use Collinite 845. It works amazingly, goes on easy, comes off easy, does not leave a residue on plastic trim, and lasts 6 months to a year easily. The soap can be found at almost any Advanced Auto Parts or Auto Zone and the Collinite 845 and Aerospace Protectant can be found on Amazon. None of these products are expensive either.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon May 04, 2015 9:58 am

ThankYouJack wrote:What do you use to clean the inside and outside of your car? What works well on a leather interior? I don't need it to sparkling clean, just looking to remove the dirt and help preserve.
There are many options for these things and I recommend that you look around and read up on suitable sites to determine what sounds like a good fit for you and your budget versus just relying on polling here.
  • For washing the exterior I use Ultima Paint Guard Wash. However, washing is really just the first step in some cases.
  • Clear plastic parts are cleaned, polished and protected with Plexus.
  • Vinyl top on one of our convertibles is cleaned with Raggtopp's cleaner. The other convertible has a canvas top and is just washed with car wash soap.
  • Wheels are cleaned with Sonax Wheel Cleaner.
  • Interior plastic and vinyl get cleaned and treated with 303 Aerospace Protectant. I also use this on exterior plastic and rubber.
  • Leather gets cleaned and conditioned with 1Z Einszett Lederpflege.
There are many good options out there for all these including options that don't cost as much as what I use.
cheese_breath wrote:For the outside use a product specifically sold for vehicles. Do not use dishwash detergent, or laundry detergent, or anything else not specifically designated for cars.
Dawn is a popular option for those looking to remove existing wax/sealant to prepare to re-apply the wax/sealant. However, it should not be used for regular washing.
magellan wrote:You don't get that fake wax residue shine on everything
I don't get that either. if you're getting that then you're using the wrong stuff. Water won't leave a residue -- unless hard -- but it may not offer other benefits either. Whether those benefits are needed and/or desired are up to each to determine. Our convertible interiors get a lot of direct sun so I do use 303 quite a bit.

INDUBITABLY

Post by INDUBITABLY » Mon May 04, 2015 10:36 am

Interiors: My car with leather seats uses cheap leather that is mostly vinyl coating (most automotive leathers are like this to provide UV protection, expensive luxury cars are sometimes an exception). This means general wipe downs with a damp cloth. For stains (sunscreen is a real nuisance for me), a dilute concentration of 303 Vinyl and Carpet has been effective and safe so far. I use microfiber towels for this, but just because I happen to have a ton of them.

Exteriors: I use a 2 bucket method with a rinseless wash product (Optimum No Rinse) and a ton of 400ish gram/m^2 microfiber towels. Mostly because I live in apartment and have to do this in the parking lot. So dilute wash goes in one bucket with towels, you bring along a dry towel or two to wipe dry, then work over the car in sections -- wash, discard wash towel in second bucket, wipe excess with damp towel, final wipe with dry towel. This all has the added advantage of minimizing runoff and water use; the wash solution is also pretty cheap. Note that if your car is heavily soiled, you should hose off the bulk crud first, lest you grind it into the paint on wipedown.
"Ah ha! Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!" - Dr. Zoidberg

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:45 am

Exterior - rain
Interior - nothing

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Mon May 04, 2015 10:51 am

mak1277 wrote:Exterior - rain
Interior - nothing
Wow. Cheap and simple. A true Boglehead :beer

snowman

Post by snowman » Mon May 04, 2015 11:06 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Hawaiishrimp wrote:For leather, I recommend: Meguiar's G10916 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - 15.2 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002V9IFU/re ... rvb04K1052

Thanks for the replies. I plan to go with these. Does anyone know how the wipes compare with bottles? Also, are any harsh chemicals used in the products? I have a toddler so am thinking the wipes could be good for quick and easy cleanup.
I use the same products, they are excellent. I don't know about chemicals, but the downside to wipes is that they tend to dry out once you open the bottle. I would not recommend wipes.

If I were you, I would strongly recommend buying Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner, and clean the whole inside with it, including the seats. If you never used it, I think you will be amazed at how well it cleans and smells afterwards. Directions are easy to follow, I use single microfiber rag - spray first, one side spread, other side buff. Done.

After using it a few times, you may decide you don't want or need to buy leather cleaner. If you do decide to get one, get the spray bottle.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:09 am

Traveller wrote:
Interior - nothing
I'll attribute this more to laziness/not caring than to frugality.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon May 04, 2015 11:36 am

Traveller wrote:
Interior - nothing
Well, it depends.

If the car's a clapped-out beater, then I guess rain and nothing would work for me too.

If it's a late-model car (or even an older car) in nice shape, then I'd spend a little time and money on keeping it looking good.

I wash my twelve-year-old Accord every four months or so with Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Shine, and wax it with synthetic Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax. In between (once a month), I give the car a quick spritz and wipe down with Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine as a quick detailer.

Just my opinion.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Mon May 04, 2015 11:38 am

ThankYouJack wrote:What do you use to clean the inside and outside of your car? What works well on a leather interior? I don't need it to sparkling clean, just looking to remove the dirt and help preserve.
Soap and water.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:04 pm

Raymond wrote:
Traveller wrote:
Interior - nothing
Well, it depends.

If the car's a clapped-out beater, then I guess rain and nothing would work for me too.

If it's a late-model car (or even an older car) in nice shape, then I'd spend a little time and money on keeping it looking good.

I wash my twelve-year-old Accord every four months or so with Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Shine, and wax it with synthetic Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax. In between (once a month), I give the car a quick spritz and wipe down with Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine as a quick detailer.

Just my opinion.
Yep, see it's 100% laziness. I don't care what the car looks like. The only person who is ever in it besides me is my wife and she cares even less than I do. And I drive my cars until they die, so I'm not concerned about protecting resale value.

Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp » Thu May 07, 2015 7:04 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:

No experience with the wipes, I used the bottles. After every cleaning, I usually open all the doors, let the car dry out for 30 min or so before parking it back in the garage. I got a 4 yrs old kid too, so.. I' be careful too.
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.

Post by 555 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:34 pm

When I want a clean car, I just buy a new one. :happy

verbose

Post by verbose » Fri May 08, 2015 9:20 am

Interior - nothing
I like this method but I supplement it by taking the car to a full-service wash about every 6 months. I leave a good tip because the young people are scrubbing down the inside for quite a while.

Post by 555 » Fri May 08, 2015 9:26 am

555 wrote:When I want a clean car, I just buy a new one. :happy
Oh I just noticed someone else does the same.
Interior - nothing

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:38 pm

I used to just vacuum the inside with a shopvac, but I discovered that the blower works wonders. I remove everything loose in the car. Of course, vacuum first, then open all the doors and blow everything out the other door. Really gets out all the crumbs from the cracks and crevices without the bother of qtips and toothpicks.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Fri May 08, 2015 3:21 pm

Will try the rain recommendation as we've had *monsoon rains for the past week+. (*Counter-clockwise air mass rotation pulls pacific/gulf moist air into CO where it's forced upwards by the mountains to cool in upper atmosphere and condense as rain. This weather occurrence also produces Denver's heaviest winter snows as our typically westerly winds dump their snow before reaching Denver.)

Ditto the leaf blower recommendation.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Fri May 08, 2015 3:45 pm

I've used Dawn to wash every vehicle I have ever owned for as long as they have been making Dawn. I have never had a vehicle that needed painting or even looked the slightest bit faded, even the ones I've kept for over ten years. Of course my vehicles are always garaged. So what is the issue others have with using Dawn?

user5027

Post by user5027 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:04 pm

inbox788 wrote:I used to just vacuum the inside with a shopvac, but I discovered that the blower works wonders. I remove everything loose in the car. Of course, vacuum first, then open all the doors and blow everything out the other door. Really gets out all the crumbs from the cracks and crevices without the bother of qtips and toothpicks.
Better yet...

I worked in heavy construction and one of our foreman would clean his pickup truck's interior by taking the 3/4" air hose hooked to a 185 cfm air compressor. He would look like Pig Pen from Peanuts. :D

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Fri May 08, 2015 8:33 pm

Crimsontide wrote:I've used Dawn to wash every vehicle I have ever owned for as long as they have been making Dawn. I have never had a vehicle that needed painting or even looked the slightest bit faded, even the ones I've kept for over ten years. Of course my vehicles are always garaged. So what is the issue others have with using Dawn?
The thought is that since Dawn is a degreaser, you are stripping off the wax every time you wash.

Of course, if you re-wax immediately afterwards, no big whoop.

Ultraviolet light degradation is the greatest factor affecting car paint (just as excessive UV levels affect our skin), so the garaging is most likely why your vehicles look great. If you also wax periodically, you are providing additional sacrificial UV protection to the paint ("paint sunscreen", so to speak).

[Edit] I forgot to mention, car wash is also generally less expensive than Dawn. Here are some prices from Amazon:

Dawn Professional Dish Detergent, 1 Gallon pump = $25.99

Meguiar's G7164 Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner - 64 oz = $8.49 x 2 = $16.98

Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz. = $17.51
(one fluid ounce in two gallons of water, enough for one car, with no rinsing needed - saves water, wash inside your garage if you want to.)
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

CABob

Post by CABob » Fri May 08, 2015 11:22 pm

Raymond wrote: Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz. = $17.51
(one fluid ounce in two gallons of water, enough for one car, with no rinsing needed - saves water, wash inside your garage if you want to.)
This sounds like an interesting product. Does it really work as advertised?
Bob

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Sat May 09, 2015 1:22 am

CABob wrote:
Raymond wrote: Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz. = $17.51
This sounds like an interesting product. Does it really work as advertised?
It actually does - assuming a "normally dirty" car from commuting use (for example, not one with chunks of dried mud all over from off-roading), I just put one ounce of the product in two gallons of water, soak a bunch of inexpensive microfiber washcloths from Walmart (a 12-pack costs around $8.00), and use one washcloth per section of car. I set each one aside (not back into the bucket) after using, then get another soaked washcloth. I then dry the car with a microfiber towel.

Note that the stuff doesn't foam, so you will wonder if you are really cleaning, but it does :P

Particularly useful for people without hose access (apartments, etc.) or where water restrictions are in place.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Sat May 09, 2015 5:29 am

To remove dirt and preserve I use the following:
A vacuum
Running water
4nursebee

wallygator

Post by wallygator » Sat May 09, 2015 9:08 am

Hi,

Throw out all your bug and tar cleaner, bug sponges, wheel cleaners and get some Mr Clean Magic erasers. They take everything of with ease.

I also use them all over my boat. you somehow always get little strange marks, scuffs etc. on a boat. Magic Erasers take them all off.

See ya,

Wally

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat May 09, 2015 9:38 am

Any car wash detergent will work fine to wash the exterior of your car. After that I like to use Rejex to 'wax' my car (it's technically a polymer sealant, not a wax). I like it because I don't enjoy waxing my car and it lasts a long time - up to a full year. It also goes on and comes off as easily as any wax I've found and leaves a great shine. You can get it on Amazon or at many online car care sites and I've also seen it at some ACE stores.

On the interior leather and vinyl I use ArmorAll Leather Care Gel. It's nothing particularly special but I find it works well. For all plastics which is pretty much everything else I use 1z Cockpit Premium which also can be found on Amazon. I especially like the 1z because it doesn't make the dashboard shiny (which looks tacky and causes reflections off the windshield) and because it can be used on clear plastic screens, etc. without leaving any residue or streaks or damaging them in any way. It's also available on Amazon or at many online car care sites.

I highly recommend the Rejex and the 1z Cockpit Premium products.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat May 09, 2015 9:42 am

wallygator wrote:Hi,

Throw out all your bug and tar cleaner, bug sponges, wheel cleaners and get some Mr Clean Magic erasers. They take everything of with ease.

I also use them all over my boat. you somehow always get little strange marks, scuffs etc. on a boat. Magic Erasers take them all off.

See ya,

Wally
As Wally says the Magic Erasers can be really handy and will take off stuff that's difficult or impossible to remove with anything else. However, be careful because they contain abrasives and will scratch some surfaces. Do a test on an inconspicuous area before going hog wild with them to make sure the surface you'll be using them on won't be damaged.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sun May 10, 2015 9:20 am

For the interior, I use a damp cloth with a bucket of water, along with a good vacuum, once/year. This makes everything look new again. (The miracle of modern plastics.)

I periodically wash the outside at the manual car wash.

I used to be a lot more obsessive, and I still have a tote full of products. But, it was very time consuming and it didn't really matter.

Plymouth56

Post by Plymouth56 » Sun May 10, 2015 3:15 pm

ClevrChico wrote:For the interior, I use a damp cloth with a bucket of water, along with a good vacuum, once/year. This makes everything look new again. (The miracle of modern plastics.)

I periodically wash the outside at the manual car wash.

I used to be a lot more obsessive, and I still have a tote full of products. But, it was very time consuming and it didn't really matter.
This pretty much describes me, though I try to hit the manual car wash every couple of weeks .
I'm speaking also as someone that still has 2 shelves in my garage filled with car care products and was crazy obsessed about a shiny clean car.
I have now pared it down to this: a clay bar over the paint once a year followed by a coat of 3M paste wax. The 3M wax applies and removes easy, shines great,and lasts.
For the interior as stated damp cloth, warm water ,and for me a go round of the windows with Sprayway window cleaner.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Tue May 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Traveller wrote:
Interior - nothing
Had to try it. A week of rains and one heavy wet snow... no joy. Snow took down tree limbs, but could not remove the film.

Rubbing seem to be required to remove dirt: okay for a summer rain when it 80F out, but not when it's 40F out.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:09 pm

dratkinson wrote:
Traveller wrote:
Interior - nothing
Had to try it. A week of rains and one heavy wet snow... no joy. Snow took down tree limbs, but could not remove the film.

Rubbing seem to be required to remove dirt: okay for a summer rain when it 80F out, but not when it's 40F out.

Please note, I never said rain would remove dirt film...it does pretty good on bird poop if is a good strong rain though. To be truly lazy you must also be sanguine about the consequences of said laziness.

investor1

Post by investor1 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:28 pm

For the leather in the interior, I usually just buy some automotive wipes. I usually get them from the dollar store. I have a dry vac that I use for the rest of the interior cleaning (as well as other things).

For the outside, rain mostly (I live in the Pacific Northwest). Occasionally, I'll take it to the car wash. I've found that hand washing tends to leave scratches in the clear coat which I don't like.