Best Chromebook 2015

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
protagonist

Re: Best Chromebook 2015

Post by protagonist »

FrugalInvestor wrote:
protagonist wrote:
Browser wrote:I used a couple Chromebooks for awhile to try them out: the Toshiba and the Samsung. I simply couldn't figure out why I would want to use one instead of my small Lenovo laptop. It was a pain to do the things I usually do on my laptop, so after fiddling with them for awhile I returned them. You can now get many small laptops that aren't much bigger than a Chromebook at prices that are quite low. Maybe it's a cult thing.
I have a small Lenovo laptop and feel the same way. Don't you have to maintain all your files in the cloud- music, video, whatever- on Chromebook? If so I have a problem with that. I don't want to be dependent on a reliable internet connection in order to have access to my files.

Plus I feel more secure with local storage. I use Google but they scare me. I'm not generally a Luddite, but what can I say....it's a thing.....
You can use an SD card(s) and/or a USB drive for local storage on most if not all Chromebooks.
Well, (quoting Dorothy), that's a horse of a different color! Perhaps I should look into Chromebook. I have a 128 Mb SD card floating around just itching to be used for something. That doesn't, however, obviate the fact that, despite my hypocrisy in having a gmail account and an android phone, Google creeps me out.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

protagonist wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:
protagonist wrote:
Browser wrote:I used a couple Chromebooks for awhile to try them out: the Toshiba and the Samsung. I simply couldn't figure out why I would want to use one instead of my small Lenovo laptop. It was a pain to do the things I usually do on my laptop, so after fiddling with them for awhile I returned them. You can now get many small laptops that aren't much bigger than a Chromebook at prices that are quite low. Maybe it's a cult thing.
I have a small Lenovo laptop and feel the same way. Don't you have to maintain all your files in the cloud- music, video, whatever- on Chromebook? If so I have a problem with that. I don't want to be dependent on a reliable internet connection in order to have access to my files.

Plus I feel more secure with local storage. I use Google but they scare me. I'm not generally a Luddite, but what can I say....it's a thing.....
You can use an SD card(s) and/or a USB drive for local storage on most if not all Chromebooks.
Well, (quoting Dorothy), that's a horse of a different color! Perhaps I should look into Chromebook. I have a 128 Mb SD card floating around just itching to be used for something. That doesn't, however, obviate the fact that, despite my hypocrisy in having a gmail account and an android phone, Google creeps me out.
Google creeps me out too but I've gotten used to it. I realize that may not be a good thing.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

protagonist wrote:

Having had my computers stolen a couple of times, and had hard drives fail as well, I feel more secure with cloud storage. At least I can get at my data with an internet connection. Of course, so could others potentially, but...it's a thing.
Sarah
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

For those interested in purchasing a Chromebook, this is a copy of a post of mine from another thread (I don't know how to specifically reference it here so I am copying and pasting). Perhaps it will be of use to you.

"Well, you all convinced me not to buy one for myself...at least not for now....but rather to buy one for my gf (I think...hope... it would be perfect for her, and maybe she will even let me try it. Anyway she will probably love me for it, which is a good thing).

I just ordered her this one. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-chromebook/

It seems to universally get the best reviews. I bought it via Walmart for $279, free shipping. It is the same price on Amazon, but Walmart is more convenient for returns, etc. I couldn't find a better price except for a refurb, and the amount I would save on a refurb does not seem like it would be worth the risk, especially as a gift. Just a heads up in case others are interested.

As for myself, I will try to get by with my Yoga 13 with the dead battery....it still works fine when plugged in....combined with my Nook HD+ tablet which I just paid $34 to expand the memory and root to Android 4.4/Cyanogenmod. If that carries me to the end of the year with no major problems or inconvenience, I will buy a new computer then (perhaps a Dell XPS 13 or equivalent). It would be nice to give Windows 10 a chance to prove itself first....plus I imagine a lot of new machines will be available due to the new Windows release, and some of the older ones will come down in price.
Last edited by protagonist on Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
mbk734

Post by mbk734 »

protagonist wrote:For those interested in purchasing a Chromebook, this is a copy of a post of mine from another thread (I don't know how to specifically reference it here so I am copying and pasting). Perhaps it will be of use to you.

"Well, you all convinced me not to buy one for myself...at least not for now....but rather to buy one for my gf (I think...hope... it would be perfect for her, and maybe she will even let me try it. Anyway she will probably love me for it, which is a good thing).

I just ordered her this one. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-chromebook/

It seems to universally get the best reviews. I bought it via Walmart for $279, free shipping. It is the same price on Amazon, but Walmart is more convenient for returns, etc. I couldn't find a better price except for a refurb, and the amount I would save on a refurb does not seem like it would be worth the risk, especially as a gift. Just a heads up in case others are interested.

As for myself, I will try to get by with my Yoga 13 with the dead battery....it still works fine when plugged in....combined with my Nook HD+ tablet which I just paid $34 to expand the memory and root to Android 4.4/Cyanogenmod. If that carries me to the end of the year with no major problems or inconvenience, I will buy a new computer then (perhaps a Dell XPS 13 or equivalent). It would be nice to give Windows 10 a chance to prove itself first....plus I imagine a lot of new machines will be available due to the new Windows release, and some of the older ones will come down in price.

Re: security issues with Chromebook.....Is it less secure in public places when surfing the web in public places (eg when traveling) than a Windows machine, because of the lack of antivirus software?"
Nice gift! I had the same one but it had lines running through the screen after a couple weeks. Probably just a lemon though. Chromebooks have built in security and updates. They are supposedly more secure since they are just a browser (no file system, programs). They can also be wiped and easily reset if there are any problems.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

Does anyone know the normal product cycle for the Toshiba Chromebooks?

The Toshiba Chromebook 2 has been on the market for close to a year (?), and I am wondering when they may release an updated 3 model?

Anyone done any research into this?

Thank you!
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:Does anyone know the normal product cycle for the Toshiba Chromebooks?

The Toshiba Chromebook 2 has been on the market for close to a year (?), and I am wondering when they may release an updated 3 model?

Thank you!
Funny you should ask. Just came across this today. I know this is an older thread, but October.

Looks like a minor update, keeping the 2 designation. Faster processors and backlit keyboard and not much more.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/22/tosh ... omebook-2/
pochax

Post by pochax »

inbox788 wrote:
Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:Does anyone know the normal product cycle for the Toshiba Chromebooks?

Thank you!
Funny you should ask. Just came across this today. I know this is an older thread, but October.

Looks like a minor update, keeping the 2 designation. Faster processors and backlit keyboard and not much more.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/22/tosh ... omebook-2/
which fixes its only drawbacks....assuming they are cost-effective ($429 for Core i3 and backlit keyboard), i think they will be the best chromebooks without a touchscreen. The new Dell Chromebook 13 will give it a run for its money, but my guess it will be of much higher quality build/material and thus drive the cost up compared to the new chromebook 2 from Toshiba. i am tempted to upgrade from my current Chromebook 2, but am thinking by the next upgrade cycle they will have either touchscreen, USB type C or both.
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

My son has the dell with touchscreen and likes it
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

Appreciate the Acer recommendation. Currently using an HP Chromebook with a separate mouse on the side & generally very much like it-----so happy not having to deal with Windows/Microsoft any more!
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
BL

Post by BL »

Louis Winthorpe III wrote:I've loved my Samsung for a couple of years now. Not sure what the model is, but it goes for around $229.
Same here, but it seems to have a couple issues now.
When keying in like this, it tends to jump to another location and continue writing there. Then I have to delete that and go back to where I am. I am also more likely to delete a portion of my writing, just as if I highlighted and deleted. Haven't figured out if I did something or what. Also Wi-Fi printing seems to be randomly working.

Still, I have this Windows 7 desktop as well, so am not quite ready to replace as I don't use it for anything serious. Searching and reading still work well.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

I recently bought an Acer Chromebook 15 C910-3916 with a 15.6 inch Full HD (1080) screen and an Intel core i3 processor, and I paid about $445. I replaced an HP 14 inch Chromebook. I liked the HP Chromebook, but I really love this new Acer Chromebook, one of the nicest features is the large HD screen which is easy on my eyes. I also love that I don't have to deal with Windows anymore (at least not at home). If you gave me a Windows laptop now for free, I would turn it down.