Best Chromebook 2015

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mbk734

Best Chromebook 2015

Post by mbk734 » Sat May 02, 2015 10:04 am

I am a big fan of Chromebooks. I used to love Apple products but these new Chromebooks are affordable and do just about everything I need to do on a computer. Google Docs has replaced Microsoft Word/Pages, Google Play has replaced iTunes. The only slight issue is you need wifi to do much with them so they aren't so great on an airplane unless you pay for wifi. I have discovered that you can save mp4 movies using Handbrake on another computer and watch them on your Chromebook offline.

I have tried Acer, HP, and Asus Chromebooks and have been a big fan of the original Acer C720. Both the HP and Asus had issues. I now have a huge HD 15.6" Acer :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T03 ... UTF8&psc=1

and I highly recommend it for around the house. It is a little heavy for travel or school, but it is solid. It was $239 for the 2GB RAM, 16GB HD model. They also make an 11" and 13" model.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

mptfan

Re: Best Chromebook 2015

Post by mptfan » Sat May 02, 2015 10:25 am

mbk734 wrote:I am a big fan of Chromebooks.
I agree wholeheartedly. I have been using a Chromebook as my primary home computer now for a year and I love it. I don't use Microsoft Windows anymore unless I have to, like at work. No viruses. No constant updates of various programs like Adobe or Flash or Virus checkers or Windows or any number of other programs that used to constantly pop up. The only thing that needs to be updated with a Chromebook is the Chrome OS which is updated about once a week and it literally takes a minute or two. Literally. No blue screen of death. No learning a new way of doing things with every new version of the OS (think Windows 8). No waiting several minutes for the computer to boot up, my Chromebook boots up from being completely off in about 10 seconds, and from sleep mode in less than 5 seconds. No loss of data if the hard drive fails because everything is kept online. No more hot lap from the heat generated by the computer because my Chromebook is fanless and generates much less heat, it is almost cool to the touch after hours of use, and the battery life is also much better as a result, I can routinely use the Chromebook for an entire day and sometimes part of the next day without worrying about the battery. Also, I can log out and other members of the household can log in and all of their apps and preferences and files and bookmarks are instantly available as if it were their machine.

It just works. Period. With almost no maintenance or hassle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVqe8ieqz10
Last edited by mptfan on Sat May 02, 2015 10:43 am, edited 6 times in total.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sat May 02, 2015 10:30 am

I have had Windows, Macs, and Linux in the past decade or so, have had the C720 Chromebook for the past year plus. The only thing that keeps me from full adoption is the screen quality, my ThinkPad x230's IPS screen, not really top garde, is far superior. Give me a Chromebook with a high grade screen (at a reasonable price) and I am a full time convert.

EDIT: Oh, I see this Toshiba with a 13.3 IPS screen http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N99 ... nkCode=as2
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat May 02, 2015 10:35 am

+1
Google shipped me a free beta version when they first came out around 2011 and have been using them ever since.Currently using Samsung -4 GB DDR3L SDRAM :happy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J49 ... UTF8&psc=1
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

slow n steady

Post by slow n steady » Sat May 02, 2015 10:39 am

Toshiba Chromebook 2.

Love it.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 am

I had some trepidations about Acer because of it's bad reputation due to presumably poor quality. But I went ahead and bought my C7 Chromebook about 2 1/2 years ago because it was the least expensive one on the market. I have been pleasantly surprised and well pleased with it. I no more have any qualms about Acer.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

allwin

Post by allwin » Sat May 02, 2015 11:12 am

mbk734 wrote:I am a big fan of Chromebooks. I used to love Apple products but these new Chromebooks are affordable and do just about everything I need to do on a computer. Google Docs has replaced Microsoft Word/Pages, Google Play has replaced iTunes. The only slight issue is you need wifi to do much with them so they aren't so great on an airplane unless you pay for wifi. I have discovered that you can save mp4 movies using Handbrake on another computer and watch them on your Chromebook offline.

I have tried Acer, HP, and Asus Chromebooks and have been a big fan of the original Acer C720. Both the HP and Asus had issues. I now have a huge HD 15.6" Acer :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T03 ... UTF8&psc=1

and I highly recommend it for around the house. It is a little heavy for travel or school, but it is solid. It was $239 for the 2GB RAM, 16GB HD model. They also make an 11" and 13" model.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm planning to replace my home (mac) laptop and was thinking of either buying a new Mac laptop OR a mac mini desktop + chrome notebook combo. I bought a chrome notebook for my parents a few months back and they really loved it!

As a side note, most of the Chrome apps now have pretty good offline support so you can edit Google docs, work with gmail, etc. even if you are offline.

Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III » Sat May 02, 2015 12:02 pm

I've loved my Samsung for a couple of years now. Not sure what the model is, but it goes for around $229.

tc101

Post by tc101 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:09 pm

Has anyone used a Chromebook touch screen?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

hectorochoa

Post by hectorochoa » Sat May 02, 2015 1:06 pm

tc101 wrote:Has anyone used a Chromebook touch screen?
Purchased the Acer touchscreen Chromebook for my six year old this past Christmas. Also have three other Acer Chromebooks (not touchscreen models) around the house. The touchscreen Chromebooks are terrific, and the touchscreen functionality works better than any tablet or phone in my opinion. I really like the Chromebooks and highly recommend them.

Purchased the touchscreen from the Acer store on Ebay for about $200.

pochax

Post by pochax » Sat May 02, 2015 1:48 pm

Screen quality makes a huge difference. i love my toshiba chromebook 2 Full HD (13" IPS 1080p display) but if u want a bit more CPU power and can go bigger, i hear great things about the 4GB Acer 15" model that has a broadwell-based celeron CPU but also make sure you get a Full HD (1080p) IPS display.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sat May 02, 2015 8:13 pm

We bought our daughter the 11" Asus for Christmas this year. Got the extra RAM but otherwise the basic model for less than $200 and it has been very nice. I'm not sure what the "best" one is but this one is definitely usable. We didn't want a larger screen to sacrifice portability. These things have gotten so cheap to buy and operate (no software to buy!) that it has gotten ridiculous.

peppers

Post by peppers » Sat May 02, 2015 8:29 pm

IPad @ work, Acer Chromebook @ home. I don't do Windows or windows. :)
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Sat May 02, 2015 9:03 pm

slow n steady wrote:Toshiba Chromebook 2.

Love it.
Me, too. I now only use my Mac for Quicken 2007 and iTunes. I will import my music to Google Play. Oh, I use my Mac for my obsolete iPhone 4 but eventually I will replace that with another brand.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

virgingorda

Post by virgingorda » Sun May 03, 2015 6:44 am

I love everything about my Samsung Chromebook (from BestBuy) except that the keyboard does not light up. It is hard to use with the room lights off. Aside from that, it is actually the first laptop I have actually liked. It is very light and does almost everything I need. I just finished teaching a course and used Google Docs for all the slide sets. I still use my desktop Mac for photo stuff.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun May 03, 2015 12:53 pm

allwin wrote: a mac mini desktop + chrome notebook combo.
This is exactly the combination that I have been using for almost three years now and I've been very pleased with it. The Chromebook is mostly for use away from home. It does what I need it to do and no more, is very lightweight, and if it gets damaged or stolen, my data is still intact and I'm not out too much money.

I was already a heavy Google software user. I do use iTunes and of course Mac OS on the Mac mini, but that's about it as far as Apple software.

With a Chromebook, whether it is a good choice or not depends largely on the software you need and use.

stratton

Post by stratton » Sun May 03, 2015 1:41 pm

...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

LEED3D

Post by LEED3D » Tue May 05, 2015 3:07 pm

Just chiming in to say I also use a Toshiba Chromebook 2 and it is a fantastic device. I stayed away from Chromebooks for a while because of poor screen quality but the display on this one is beautiful.

I don't even use my laptop or ipad anymore!

suburbandad

Post by suburbandad » Tue May 05, 2015 3:48 pm

+1 on the Toshiba Chromebook. I rarely use my Macbook Air any longer and the 13 inch 1080p screen on the Chromebook is actually better!

thenextguy

Post by thenextguy » Tue May 05, 2015 4:12 pm

Does the Chromebook have offline versions of the office apps? Can you edit files and then have them sync when you're online?

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Tue May 05, 2015 4:13 pm

thenextguy wrote:Does the Chromebook have offline versions of the office apps? Can you edit files and then have them sync when you're online?
Yes

tc101

Post by tc101 » Mon May 11, 2015 12:23 pm

What are the most common situations where you would need a regular computer and a chromebook would not do?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

Topic Author
mbk734

Post by mbk734 » Mon May 11, 2015 12:28 pm

tc101 wrote:What are the most common situations where you would need a regular computer and a chromebook would not do?
Anything you can't do in a chrome browser (although it does have a media player). Such as programs like photoshop, games, and other software.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

patelbhavesh

Post by patelbhavesh » Sun May 17, 2015 9:44 pm

One thing I would highly recommend before buying a chromebook is to play with the touchpad as the low end models have really bad touchpad/trackpad and can actually hurt your hand.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun May 17, 2015 10:00 pm

After buying a small Chromebook for travel and loving it I purchased one with a larger 14" screen to replace my primary Windows machine. It's an HP 14. I've had it for over a year now, use it heavily and have had no problems whatsoever. I'm trying to get my wife to convert as well but we'll still need a Windows machine for certain tasks such as iTunes, programming the Harmony remote, my labeler, etc.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun May 17, 2015 10:16 pm

patelbhavesh wrote:One thing I would highly recommend before buying a chromebook is to play with the touchpad as the low end models have really bad touchpad/trackpad and can actually hurt your hand.
OTOH a mouse works just fine.

vshun

Post by vshun » Mon May 18, 2015 3:54 pm

I have 3 at home - original Google free one (does not connect to Wifi anymore), Acer 11 inch last year model and Toshiba CB2 1080P. Acer is much lighter and can be taken to sofa or on trips while Toshiba is much heavier, however for stationary browsing or Netflix this is the one to beat due to superb IPS HD screen. So none is perfect in the sense (one is great portability/battery, another is used when plugged in place for screen).

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Mon May 18, 2015 4:02 pm

I have my eye on the Dell chrome book 11. I hear good things about the Toshiba's 13.3 inch screen, but I prefer the 11 inch form factor.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon May 18, 2015 7:17 pm

tc101 wrote:What are the most common situations where you would need a regular computer and a chromebook would not do?
Any time you want to run stand alone software that isn't available on the Chrome OS. Off the top of my mind

Quicken
Turbo Tax or TaxCut
YNAB
Photoshop
AutoCAD
Oracle
MS Office at the power user level.

And probably a whole ton of business and professional applications such as accounting, medical records, desktop publishing and so forth.

Also of course there are a lot of games written for the PC that won't run in Chrome.

Chromebooks are awesome for content consumption and anything you can do on the web or with Google Docs which provides basic word processor, spreadsheet and presentation applications. So for the average home user or student they are fine. But serious power users of Word, Excel and PowerPoint will find them too limiting. I used to prepare 1000 page documents in word with hundreds and hundreds of numbered figures, tables, headings, footnotes, and references. Google docs can do basic business document creating but not at that level. I also used to make massive spreadsheets with hundreds of thousands of data lines and all kinds of macros and embedded functions. Again, not something one can reasonably do on Google Sheets.

Basically if you are a power user of sophisticated software on the PC or Mac for business purposes then a Chromebook will not suit your needs. If you want a laptop for basic home or student use and don't care about being compatable with those sorts of business or professional apps then they are great.

looking

Post by looking » Mon May 18, 2015 8:56 pm

yeah
i love chromebook

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Mon May 18, 2015 9:12 pm

I love my Crhomebook. They are the best deal in computing. Not sure why Apple snobs pay through the nose, when they can get a Crhomebook for under $200. I paid $168 for my ASUS and love it. Either they are a well kept secret or i just asked the wrong people. Before I bought mine, no one could tell me much. I finally said to myself, how could I lose for the money and I bought through Amazon so I knew I could return it with no problem.

I was so sick of getting viruses even though my laptop had protection and like others say, no more waiting for the long bootup of a traditional PC or laptop. I can't say enough good things about Crhomebook.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon May 18, 2015 10:12 pm

vshun wrote:I have 3 at home - original Google free one (does not connect to Wifi anymore), Acer 11 inch last year model and Toshiba CB2 1080P. Acer is much lighter and can be taken to sofa or on trips while Toshiba is much heavier, however for stationary browsing or Netflix this is the one to beat due to superb IPS HD screen. So none is perfect in the sense (one is great portability/battery, another is used when plugged in place for screen).
Thanks for mentioning the Toshiba. I've researched it a bit and it looks like a winner. :thumbsup

I'll see if my wife wants to give it a try.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

MossySF

Post by MossySF » Tue May 19, 2015 1:41 am

I have a touchscreen Chromebook and the extra touchscreen is helpful. This will be especially true as Google is rolling out Android app support over time.

You can run Linux applications using Crouton (in developer mode) but after trying it for a while, I decided the ChromeOS alternatives were good enough.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue May 19, 2015 6:47 am

texasdiver wrote:
Any time you want to run stand alone software that isn't available on the Chrome OS. Off the top of my mind

Quicken
Turbo Tax or TaxCut
YNAB
Photoshop
AutoCAD
Oracle

And probably a whole ton of business and professional applications such as accounting, medical records, desktop publishing and so forth.

Also of course there are a lot of games written for the PC that won't run in Chrome.

Chromebooks are awesome for content consumption and anything you can do on the web or with Google Docs which provides basic word processor, spreadsheet and presentation applications. So for the average home user or student they are fine. But serious power users of Word, Excel and PowerPoint will find them too limiting. I used to prepare 1000 page documents in word with hundreds and hundreds of numbered figures, tables, headings, footnotes, and references. Google docs can do basic business document creating but not at that level. I also used to make massive spreadsheets with hundreds of thousands of data lines and all kinds of macros and embedded functions. Again, not something one can reasonably do on Google Sheets.

Basically if you are a power user of sophisticated software on the PC or Mac for business purposes then a Chromebook will not suit your needs. If you want a laptop for basic home or student use and don't care about being compatable with those sorts of business or professional apps then they are great.
+1
My Chromebook is great for Email, surfing the web and live streaming. But my Windows machine is still my primary computer for some of the reasons mentioned.

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Tue May 19, 2015 10:16 am

texasdiver wrote:

Quicken
Turbo Tax or TaxCut
YNAB
Photoshop
AutoCAD
Oracle

...snip...

I agree with you on sophisticated business users not being able to use Chromebooks. But there are many of us out there that only have basic business needs, and for those I happily use my Chromebook. I use Quickbooks online, and Turbo Tax online. My POS system, appointment scheduling and inventory is online too. Medical billing, faxing, Mailchimp for email newsletters, Facebook, Google Ads, that's all online.

I have the Toshiba Chromebook 2 (cheaper version without the HD screen) btw, and I love it. The boyfriend has a HP Chromebook (not sure of the model) and it is not nearly as nice as mine, IMO.
Sarah

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Tue May 19, 2015 12:04 pm

stratton wrote:Chromebook pIxel
Paul
Pixel Chromebook is undeniably the best if price is not a factor. The price puts it up there with MacBook Pro as its competition.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

Matt48Ritchie

Post by Matt48Ritchie » Tue May 19, 2015 2:14 pm

This was a helpful thread for me. I've used a Macbook Pro as my personal computer for 6 years now and I think my next computer will be a chromebook. Like 80% (talk about throwing out a random number) of people I don't use my computer for much outside of the internet. The two main advantages I see with the chromebook are cost and portability. When my wife and I travel and need to look something up we're generally using one of our phones, which is fine but could be better. Also neither of us have a kindle/tablet so I'm considering one of the Chrombooks that can double as a tablet. I think the tablet function of it would primarily be used as an e-reader. Any experiences with one of those devices?

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue May 19, 2015 2:46 pm

stemikger wrote:I love my Crhomebook. They are the best deal in computing. Not sure why Apple snobs pay through the nose, when they can get a Crhomebook for under $200.
That's a pretty ignorant statement considering the differences. I have both a Mac and Chromebook. My Chromebook is a great computer for $200, but it is quite limited compared to my Mac. I'm not a snob, I just own both and use both and realize the utility with both.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Wed May 20, 2015 1:45 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
stemikger wrote:I love my Crhomebook. They are the best deal in computing. Not sure why Apple snobs pay through the nose, when they can get a Crhomebook for under $200.
That's a pretty ignorant statement considering the differences. I have both a Mac and Chromebook. My Chromebook is a great computer for $200, but it is quite limited compared to my Mac. I'm not a snob, I just own both and use both and realize the utility with both.
Guilty as charged. When it comes to technology, I'm pretty ignorant.

Browser

Post by Browser » Wed May 20, 2015 2:26 am

I used a couple Chromebooks for awhile to try them out: the Toshiba and the Samsung. I simply couldn't figure out why I would want to use one instead of my small Lenovo laptop. It was a pain to do the things I usually do on my laptop, so after fiddling with them for awhile I returned them. You can now get many small laptops that aren't much bigger than a Chromebook at prices that are quite low. Maybe it's a cult thing.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Wed May 20, 2015 4:01 am

Browser wrote:I used a couple Chromebooks for awhile to try them out: the Toshiba and the Samsung. I simply couldn't figure out why I would want to use one instead of my small Lenovo laptop. It was a pain to do the things I usually do on my laptop, so after fiddling with them for awhile I returned them. You can now get many small laptops that aren't much bigger than a Chromebook at prices that are quite low. Maybe it's a cult thing.
Browser for me it was really just the damn viruses. I don't know what was happening, but I kept getting them even with Norton. I like not having to worry about it anymore and because there are no loaded programs, there is no waiting time to log on and I find it to be faster when on the internet.

Blues

Post by Blues » Wed May 20, 2015 7:16 am

tc101 wrote:Has anyone used a Chromebook touch screen?
I've had the Acer C720P for about 15 months and it has been virtually flawless.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed May 20, 2015 9:43 am

stemikger wrote:
Browser wrote:I used a couple Chromebooks for awhile to try them out: the Toshiba and the Samsung. I simply couldn't figure out why I would want to use one instead of my small Lenovo laptop. It was a pain to do the things I usually do on my laptop, so after fiddling with them for awhile I returned them. You can now get many small laptops that aren't much bigger than a Chromebook at prices that are quite low. Maybe it's a cult thing.
Browser for me it was really just the damn viruses. I don't know what was happening, but I kept getting them even with Norton. I like not having to worry about it anymore and because there are no loaded programs, there is no waiting time to log on and I find it to be faster when on the internet.
Although I didn't get many viruses (that I knew of) I did tire of doing virus scans, the seemingly constant updates, and waiting longer and longer for my machine to boot as time progressed. It also always became necessary for me to reload my machine at some point in order to resolve the sluggishness that would develop which was a giant pain. With a Chromebook I have none of these issues. In addition, the price of a Chrombook allows me to replace my machine every couple of years without feeling that I'm throwing money away. Since I don't need the business functionality any longer (retired) the Chromebook just makes life simpler and more enjoyable.

Browser

Post by Browser » Wed May 20, 2015 9:57 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:
stemikger wrote:
Although I didn't get many viruses (that I knew of) I did tire of doing virus scans, the seemingly constant updates, and waiting longer and longer for my machine to boot as time progressed. It also always became necessary for me to reload my machine at some point in order to resolve the sluggishness that would develop which was a giant pain. With a Chromebook I have none of these issues. In addition, the price of a Chrombook allows me to replace my machine every couple of years without feeling that I'm throwing money away. Since I don't need the business functionality any longer (retired) the Chromebook just makes life simpler and more enjoyable.
I agree with those points. Instant bootup and getting rid of the tedious updates was great. Can you do without virus and malware programs? That would be great also.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

pochax

Post by pochax » Wed May 20, 2015 10:07 am

Browser wrote: I agree with those points. Instant bootup and getting rid of the tedious updates was great. Can you do without virus and malware programs? That would be great also.
Yes, there is no need to install separate malware programs. The very limitation that a chromebook presents (the inability or heavy restriction in installation of apps) is the reason why they are so secure. Having said that, slowly they are allowing installation of some apps (android?) but there is still some sandboxing involved to keep it from accessing the entire OS. There is probably no 100% secure system anywhere, but chromebooks are among the most secure due to their "limitation". Disclaimer: i am not a techgeek and am going by what i've read on the internet which i naively think is all true 8-)

Blues

Post by Blues » Wed May 20, 2015 10:35 am

Browser wrote: Can you do without virus and malware programs? That would be great also.
There are no AV's for Chromebook (that I'm aware of) but I do use a very few extensions which can enhance security.
(The extensions require little or no user input once set.)

Adblock Plus can, depending on the subscriptions you choose, greatly reduce the number of ads and tracking bots as well as prevent surfing to known malware domains and sites. Worth a look.

I also use HTTPS Everywhere, Disconnect and LastPass.

Your needs and mileage may vary, naturally.

Oh, and another thing you may want to do is change the DNS server over to something like OpenDNS or Norton ConnectSafe.
Last edited by Blues on Wed May 20, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:36 am

I purchased a 15" MacBook Pro and love it. We are completely Apple products and everything is so simple now. I can not ever see us moving away from Apple (and it did take a long time for Apple to "win" us over)!
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed May 20, 2015 1:02 pm

Browser wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:
stemikger wrote:
I agree with those points. Instant bootup and getting rid of the tedious updates was great. Can you do without virus and malware programs? That would be great also.
You still get updates, but they are transparent and happen so fast you don't notice them.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed May 20, 2015 9:31 pm

I have a small Lenovo laptop and feel the same way. Don't you have to maintain all your files in the cloud- music, video, whatever- on Chromebook? If so I have a problem with that. I don't want to be dependent on a reliable internet connection in order to have access to my files.

Plus I feel more secure with local storage. I use Google but they scare me. I'm not generally a Luddite, but what can I say....it's a thing.....

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed May 20, 2015 9:46 pm

protagonist wrote:
I have a small Lenovo laptop and feel the same way. Don't you have to maintain all your files in the cloud- music, video, whatever- on Chromebook? If so I have a problem with that. I don't want to be dependent on a reliable internet connection in order to have access to my files.

Plus I feel more secure with local storage. I use Google but they scare me. I'm not generally a Luddite, but what can I say....it's a thing.....
You can use an SD card(s) and/or a USB drive for local storage on most if not all Chromebooks.