Telemarketing by Cell /Increase with Consumer Cellular

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barefootgirl

Telemarketing by Cell /Increase with Consumer Cellular

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri May 01, 2015 11:15 am

I was a cell customer of T-Mobile for a number of years before switching recently to Consumer Cellular.

Since switching, I've experienced a sharp increase in the number of telemarketing calls I get on my cellphone.

The day's not even half over yet and I've already received 6 or 7. Something has to give.

Is there anyway to sign up for a no calling list like there used to be in the days of landline telemarketing calls?

Thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

patriciamgr2

Re: Telemarketing by Cell /Increase with Consumer Cellular

Post by patriciamgr2 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:29 am

theoretically, the do not call service also covers mobile phones. did you change your number?; if so, you'll need to add it to the registry. I also notified a carrier that I didn't want my number sold when I started service--I have no idea if that works.

the following article discusses telemarketing to mobiles.
https://www.fcc.gov/guides/truth-about- ... -call-list

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Fri May 01, 2015 11:36 am

This has happened to me several times. When I ported the phone number that I've had for many years to Google Voice I got a new one from Ting and got several unwanted calls hawking all sorts of things per week and it didn't stop until I dropped Ting. When I left Ting for TMobile the same thing happened, I was knee deep in spam calls for about 6 weeks and just this week they've suddenly stopped (crossing fingers and toes). I signed up with the Fed's toothless do not call list for both the Ting and TMobile phone numbers so it's hard to say whether it's responsible for the recent drop off in unwanted calls.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri May 01, 2015 12:05 pm

My phone number did not change, hence I feel like pointing the finger at Consumer Cellular ! :0
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Fri May 01, 2015 12:32 pm

I wonder if the number porting process itself generates some activity which is being picked up by some number list collecter. I noticed a distinct increase in spam calls and texts (though still avg only a few every couple of weeks) when I ported my cell number from verizon to at&t. I DO try to keep my cell number out of most web-visible spaces.

I'm planning to move to consumer cellular soon (this weekend), so I guess I'll see if it bumps up again.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri May 01, 2015 12:45 pm

I use Tracfone and have not changed my service. My cell phone number is on the DNC list and has been for years. Prior to about 2015 I got maybe five unsolicited telemarketing calls in ten years. Lately I've been getting several a week.

Like the ones I get on my home phone, they are all from false caller ID numbers so the miscreants are obviously scofflaws and the DNC list is irrelevant.

What frosts me is the phone company's assertion that they cannot trace these calls. I think this is on outright lie but can't do anything about that either.

"Caller ID" my sweet Aunt Fannie.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri May 01, 2015 12:49 pm

I use the "Mr.Number" app to block any unwanted calls...works great :happy

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cker&hl=en
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Browser

Post by Browser » Fri May 01, 2015 1:31 pm

I've begun receiving the same spam call on a daily basis that comes from various spoofed phone numbers mostly from states along the East and Southeast coast. No way to block this since different calling numbers are used each time. So I installed the Mr Number app and set it to block all numbers and then set up a white list for my contacts and also numbers beginning with area codes in locales from which I might get legitimate calls. Not a perfect solution, since the app might block some legit calls, but the best I can come up with. I love it when I get one of those &$%#! calls and Mr Number notifies me that it blocked it.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:42 pm

I've been considering changing cell providers in order to save a few bucks. This thread makes me hesitant. I rarely get spam calls, so maybe if ain't broke, I shouldn't fix it.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri May 01, 2015 1:45 pm

Do you think it's possible that telecom providers could be selling the phone numbers to marketers?

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Fri May 01, 2015 2:51 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:Do you think it's possible that telecom providers could be selling the phone numbers to marketers?
I really doubt that Consumer Cellular or other mainstream telecom providers are selling your number to telemarketers (though USPS does sell your change-of-address notifications...). I wouldn't be surprised if some fringe telecom provider (not the ones you are working directly with) is able to get some form of notice about your number porting activity, and is selling your number based on that. I don't know enough about how the telecom system works to say whether that is really possible, though.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Fri May 01, 2015 3:14 pm

nisiprius wrote: What frosts me is the phone company's assertion that they cannot trace these calls. I think this is on outright lie but can't do anything about that either.
Something crossed my field of view awhile back about an effort to make phone companies implement identification for these calls. Apparently they have the ability to do so or could get that up and working fairly easily. I have lost all information about it other than that.

I got a cell phone with Consumer Cellular some months back. I get a spam call on the cell phone maybe once a week. I did register it on the do not call list. I did not port a number to it. CC has been just fine to me.

terran

Post by terran » Fri May 01, 2015 3:21 pm

Don_Qua wrote:This has happened to me several times. When I ported the phone number that I've had for many years to Google Voice I got a new one from Ting and got several unwanted calls hawking all sorts of things per week and it didn't stop until I dropped Ting. When I left Ting for TMobile the same thing happened, I was knee deep in spam calls for about 6 weeks and just this week they've suddenly stopped (crossing fingers and toes). I signed up with the Fed's toothless do not call list for both the Ting and TMobile phone numbers so it's hard to say whether it's responsible for the recent drop off in unwanted calls.

Just to add my own datapoint: We switched two numbers from verizon to ting and have not experienced any increase in telemarketing calls (not sure I've ever gotten one).

Browser

Post by Browser » Fri May 01, 2015 3:26 pm

I have Consumer Cellular as well, but the spam calls started many months after I got the service. I don't use my CC number -- don't even know what it is off the top of my head. I use a Google Voice number that I've had for years, porting it from Sprint. I never got these spoofed spam calls until more recently. I have no idea how they got hold of my number. But since you put your number out there to all kinds of places, eventually it gets picked up by the scumbags. Noticed I've gotten two spoofed spam calls so far today -- both blocked by Mr Number. I can only hope that eventually they'll give up but I doubt it.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Fri May 01, 2015 4:03 pm

I am also a Consumer Cellular customer, with the same # for the past 7 years.

One thing I did notice recently - instead of seeing the message "Private Number" or "No Number" displayed when the telemarketers are blocking their number - Now I look down and see the message "Call" instead. :?:

I am thinking that this change IS originating with Consumer Cellular equipment.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri May 01, 2015 4:48 pm

I recently got a spoofed call where they had used my own phone number - the same one that it was dialing. :annoyed.

I still have a land line and don't use my cell very often. My portable-handset phone allows up to 50 blocked numbers. I am at the maximum. So when i get annoying telemarketers or scam artists, I clear out one of my already blocked numbers and replace with the new problem number. I have found after a week to 10 days after blocking the call rate drops off. I have had to re-block some of the earlier blocked numbers.

I rarely pick up the phone unless I recognize the number. People I do want to talk to will leave a call back number and then I add them to my phone book, so their name will pop up when they call. Occasionally, if it is a local number for a business I recognize, I do pick up the phone and tell them that I am on the do not call list and that if they call back I will report them. This is total ineffective for the toll-free numbers with autodialers, but sometimes works with legitimate businesses than are ignorant (or just ignoring) the rules.

whaleknives

Post by whaleknives » Fri May 01, 2015 5:54 pm

You can register landline or mobile phones at the National Do Not Call Registry, but I think such registries are becoming increasingly less effective. The National website has this note:
  • "Scammers have been making phone calls claiming to represent the National Do Not Call Registry. The calls claim to provide an opportunity to sign up for the Registry. These calls are not coming from the Registry or the Federal Trade Commission, and you should not respond to these calls (emphasis added)."
My state telemarketing site has this advice on robocalls:
  • "Companies are using autodialers that can send out thousands of phone calls every minute for an incredibly low cost. The companies that use this technology don't bother to screen for numbers on the Do Not Call Registry. If a company doesn't care about obeying the law, you can be sure they're trying to scam you (emphasis added)."
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."

bstevlin

Post by bstevlin » Fri May 01, 2015 11:14 pm

I have been receiving calls on my Trac phone from criminals. This is the bureau of land management, geez it's sounds like your calling from Mumbai or their is a problem with your social security account so please call with your correct information. I just shut my cell phone off. I just got an email from Trac phone do not reply of course wondering why I have disabled my account. I use my cell phone mostly for outbound calls and then shut it off when I am finished. I am happy with the results. I doubt if cell carriers are concerned about unwanted calls because after all they use minutes. On our LL we get a ton of political fund raising calls. We have enabled our voice mail and boy they must not like that because we have not been getting annoying fund raising calls. I have found that telling someone to stop calling us is an invitation to ramp up the calls. With the voice mail they are too lazy to identify themselves so they just quit calling.

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Sat May 02, 2015 6:53 am

Someone on the forum suggested NoMoreRobo for landlines. It blocks about 90% of autodialed calls here after about 1 to 3 rings.

You could see if they have a cell phone version. I do not own a cell phone.

PS - the No Call List list still exists for landlines. The auto-dialers and others just ignore it.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sat May 02, 2015 10:47 am

I thought (my memory could be sketchy) that fines were imposed when marketers ignore the Do Not Call List.

Browser

Post by Browser » Sat May 02, 2015 12:02 pm

Boglenaut wrote:Someone on the forum suggested NoMoreRobo for landlines. It blocks about 90% of autodialed calls here after about 1 to 3 rings.

You could see if they have a cell phone version. I do not own a cell phone.

PS - the No Call List list still exists for landlines. The auto-dialers and others just ignore it.
Apparently, NoMoreRobo works because it can detect "simultaneous ring" calling numbers, which are auto-dialing thousands of numbers at the same time. If your carrier provides simultaneous ring indicator, this service will block the call to your phone. However, the developer admits this might turn into an arms race; instead of making 5000 calls simultaneously from one number, the auto-spammer can make 5000 calls from 5000 different spoofed numbers, which NoMoreRobo won't detect. Since I'm getting spam calls from dozens of different spoofed numbers already, I figure that's already going on in my case. I may go ahead and set it up but I won't be surprised if it doesn't do much.

terran

Post by terran » Sat May 02, 2015 12:50 pm

terran wrote:Just to add my own datapoint: We switched two numbers from verizon to ting and have not experienced any increase in telemarketing calls (not sure I've ever gotten one).
Wouldn't you know it, the day after posting this, I get my first telemarketing call on my cell phone that I can remember ever getting -- Either that or I really did win a free cruise. Maybe something to do with the first new month starting after switching?

I googled and ran across https://help.ting.com/entries/22491106- ... ng-number- in which some people suggest registering at https://www.donotcall.gov/ even if you have in the past, so I've done that and we'll see how it goes.

Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III » Sat May 02, 2015 1:13 pm

I switched to Consumer Cellular in October. Since then I've gotten about one robo spam call per month. My wife hasn't gotten any. At that level, it's not much of a nuisance. I just don't pick up if I don't recognize the number.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat May 02, 2015 8:18 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:I thought (my memory could be sketchy) that fines were imposed when marketers ignore the Do Not Call List.
Sure. But the current generation of spammers are probably calling from overseas and beyond the easy reach of U.S. law, and they are using phony caller ID and can't be easily traced to their corporate identity.

I used to talk the spammers into saying what company they were calling from and then report them at https://complaints.donotcall.gov/compla ... check.aspx but they've now gotten very cagey and know not to mention an identifiable company name.

And they're cleverer than I am. I can't believe I fell for "press 2 to remove yourself from further calls."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

rotorhead

Post by rotorhead » Sun May 03, 2015 7:04 am

We are Consumer Cellular customer for nearly 3 years now, ported 2 numbers over from AT&T; and have never received spam call nor text on either phone. Added a 3rd phone, with new CC assigned number about 10 months ago; and no spam calls on that one either. Maybe we're just lucky. Will post a follow up comment if spam calls start showing up.

On the other hand, we get plenty of spam calls on our house phone, even though we've been on the national and state do-not-call list for years. With Caller ID we just don't answer if we don't recognize the number calling. When our answering machine switches on, the call is dropped.

Life in the modern era. Sigh. :annoyed

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sun May 03, 2015 7:13 am

I've resorted to not answering my phone, now I just pick up any voice messages left for me.

i remember once a long time ago, someone called me on my landline to market to me.

The call came through as we were preparing to sit down to dinner.

I asked the telemarketer for his phone number. He asked why. I told him I wanted his number so that I could call him
during his dinner time.

BFG

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun May 03, 2015 10:24 am

Simply ignoring caller IDs you don't recognize and just letting them go to voicemail is fine if you get the occasional spam call. Just hope you don't start getting multiple calls per day, each from a different spoofed calling number, as I do. I'm afraid that's the future, folks. When you do, you will find that you will need a blocking strategy of some kind to preserve your sanity. The technology for spammers to do this is apparently becoming widely available, the "Do not call" registry is completely worthless in dealing with it, once your number is in their system it is there eternally among the thousands of robocalls they make daily. Pray your elderly parents phone number doesn't get on the list. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Shadow_Dancer

Post by Shadow_Dancer » Sun May 03, 2015 10:37 am

I’ve had my cell phone number for 2 years, and it is registered on the Do Not Call List. Initially, I had the number on TracFone, and then I ported it to Consumer Cellular. I have not received any telemarketing calls from legitimate businesses, and I have received less than one spam call per month. Mr. Number takes care of those calls.

How do I know the unwanted calls are spam calls and not legitimate telemarketers ignoring the laws? I check the numbers on the Internet.

At the same time, I do not hand out my cell number out to every Tom, Dick, & Harry who requests it. As far as department stores, doctors offices, reservation desks, etc., etc. know, I only have one phone number – my home phone number.

Our home phone number, of course, gets a multitude of spam calls. But, then, we’re still listed in the phone book. And, we’ve had nearly every scam call from the Microsoft repairman to the free Bahamas cruise to the IRS agent who is going to send the police to our house for back taxes. Yea, right!

A couple of weeks ago, however, we purchased a new Panasonic landline phone which has Call Block. It can block up to 250 individual numbers, it can block entire area codes, and it can block all unidentified out-of-area numbers. You can also assign ringtones to groups within its phone book, and it will even announce in a robotic voice who is calling when the phone rings (Caller ID required). So far, I love the thing! However, it is still too early to say how well it works in terms of cutting down on spam callers. But, it already seems to me that our phone over the past week is ringing less. . . . Silence is golden! :)

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun May 03, 2015 10:52 am

Shadow_dancer: Not to pick on you, but whether it's your cell number or your home number, you will be in robocall hell when your number gets on the spoofed number call list. There's no way to block these calls individually since each call comes from a new number. If you block entire area codes, you end up blocking potentially important phone calls from those area codes as well. You can try to keep your phone numbers a national secret, but every time you make an outbound call somebody has your number from caller ID. You can block your outbound caller ID when making calls, but then your destination will either ignore your call or automatically block it. Not to be harsh, but you are living in a Fool's Paradise. The only thing between you and robocall hell is just being lucky they haven't gotten your number yet. Have no idea how my number got out there, since I'm very paranoid and very careful. But it did somehow. Once it's out there in SpamLand, it gets passed around to one list after another at the speed of light. Coffee anyone?

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sun May 03, 2015 11:11 am

I can't help but notice the irony. Ostensibly, we purchase the devices so we can be reached, but then don't want to be reached, so they then just become message gathering devices...

Shadow_Dancer

Post by Shadow_Dancer » Sun May 03, 2015 12:08 pm

Browser wrote:Have no idea how my number got out there, since I'm very paranoid and very careful. But it did somehow. Once it's out there in SpamLand, it gets passed around to one list after another at the speed of light. Coffee anyone?
Browser --

I’ve been curious. Just prior to ending up in robocall hell, did you perchance answer a spam call and exchange words with the spammer on the other end of the line?

The reason I’m asking is because as I’ve been checking spam phone numbers on the Internet, I have encountered accounts of others who, like you, are trying to deal with robocall hell. Most of these accounts don’t speculate as to how they became the recipients of endless robocalls. But, there were two posters who were convinced that they could pinpoint the trigger of their endless spam calls.

The first poster was a women who received a form of the IRS phone scam from a man with a heavy foreign accent. Of course, after a few exchanges, she realized that the call was not legitimate, and she nastily told the man to take a hike and slammed down her receiver. Shortly after this conversation, her robocall hell began. So, she felt that it was her exchange with the scammer which placed her phone number on the robocall list. She felt that it was his way of getting back at her.

The second poster was a woman whose husband works for Microsoft. One evening, they received the Microsoft repairman scam call. Naturally, her husband was irritated, so instead of simply hanging up, he toyed with the caller before ending the call. The poster wrote that just after that incident, the endless robocalls began. So, she was warning people to either ignore spam calls, or if they mistakenly answer one, to just hang up without saying a word. She was convinced that her husband’s toying with the scammer was what put them on the robocall hell list.

So, do you think these posters’ speculations as to why their calls began could be correct? Did you have any direct contact with a spammer early on?

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sun May 03, 2015 12:12 pm

I would go with a white list feature, but then that blocks out calls from doctors, etc. I don't know the solution to this problem, except the telephone companies finally getting their butts in gear and making calls truly traceable and blockable.

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun May 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Shadow_Dancer: I'm pretty scrupulous about not picking up any calls that I don't recognize, so I can only speculate how my number got out there. It's a Google Voice number that I've had for many years, originally porting it over from Sprint. I figure the longer you have a number, the more likely it becomes that it gets on a spam list at some point. It's only been for the last year or so that I started getting the spoofed robocalls. I was hoping since it wasn't a listed number anywhere that might not happen. I might end up having to change the number but that will be a pain. Also, I talk a lot on long distance where I used to live and some folks who still have landlines back there can call my GV number and don't incur long distance charges, since that number was originally a local number back there. It seems to be impossible to get a new GV number that is a local number back there -- you can only get one as a legacy number like I did.