Can you see the Mayweather fight for less than $99?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
d_green

Can you see the Mayweather fight for less than $99?

Post by d_green »

I am trying to find out if there are any ways to legally watch this weekend's Pacquaio/Mayweather boxing match for less than the On-Demand price. My Verizon FIOS system is charging $99 for the fight. I am not interested in watching any pirate Internet streams.

I am wondering if there are any establishments that can show the fight legally to patrons willing to pay an admission fee. Can bars show the fight legally while charging patrons a small cover charge? Thanks
sfnerd

Re: Can you see the Mayweather fight for less than $99?

Post by sfnerd »

Around here, San Francisco, cover at bars ranges from 30-50 bucks. I'm sure these places are licensed.
ginmqi

Post by ginmqi »

Or if you have a friend and is hosting a party of some sort and you can bring some beers or two.

Or yes, there will be quite a few bars/restaurants that may have this as well with a cover charge. Just have to ask around. Bars apparently have to pay a pretty penny to be able to show the fight.
PNW_Hunter

Post by PNW_Hunter »

Call around or look on social media to see which bars are playing the fight in your area
Yes, they can show the fight and charge a cover fee.

My plan: grab a couple buddies and relax at home
willie838

Post by willie838 »

buffalo wild wings is a chain that shows all ppvs.

with ufc events you have to get there pretty early to get a table, ppv starts at ten, i'd say getting there after 730 and you're going to be standing.

the mayweather fight is a MUCH bigger deal than your average ufc ppv as well, so figure that in.

also, ufc ppv is approx 3 hours, so 730 pm to 1am---with food and drinks. You're probably not saving too much money if you go with your wife or significant other.

call some friends, chop it 3 or 4 ways and enjoy it at home.

i'm probably just buying it myself, maybe get a few others to pitch in but if they don't want to or can't come- i'm still getting it.

it's a once in a lifetime event, i've waited half a decade for this fight, 100 bucks ain't going to kill me.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Order it yourself and invite 5 friends. Each friend chips in $20 and you get make $1.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Frankonomics

Post by Frankonomics »

wander

Post by wander »

willie838 wrote:buffalo wild wings is a chain that shows all ppvs.
I heard $10 a ticket at buffalo wild wings to watch the show in my area.
navyitaly

Post by navyitaly »

Yes, for US military members overseas supporting our great country, the fight is free! But, it's on at 0300 of course on AFN (Armed Forces Network)..but the promoters are allowing military members overseas to watch it for free!
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Some bars around here are charging a $30 cover! They have to pay based on their capacity so I'm sure they are paying some obscene fee to show it. I'm taking the attend a friends party approach and plan to chip in $10 or $20. Did you see the projected total take for the fighters? Mayweather 180 million, Pacquiao 120! For one fight! Unbelievable.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Wait until the next day. Isn't this the ultimate marketing machine?

I was thinking of that baseball game in Baltimore. What if no one was interested in this event and no one showed up?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

This is probably the biggest fight in the last 30 years and is expected to shatter the previous pay per view record. I'm sure there are several bars showing the fight. You just have to call around. The bars have to pay an exorbitant fee to show the fight so expect to have to pay a cover to watch the fight. With the cover charge, food, and drinks you will probably spend close to $100 at the bar. I would order the fight at your house. Split the costs with friends. I use to go to bars to watch fights but learned quickly I wasn't saving any money by doing so. Also, it was a crapshoot whether I could find seating or not. The inconvenience was no longer worth it so I've ordered fights at my house the last three years. I've ordered this fight and I'm having a fight party. I won't be charging friends to watch. I did tell everyone to bring one entree or drinks so it should be a good time.
mxs

Post by mxs »

$20 in advance, $25 at the door at a local bar here. I have heard they have to pay $5000 to show the PPV. At a home with friends is probably the best way to do it money wise.
BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan »

We are having a party at the neighbors. They ordered PPV for the $100.... I think it will break down to about $15 a couple....
mptness

Post by mptness »

livesoft wrote:Wait until the next day. Isn't this the ultimate marketing machine?
I like this advice. This way I also avoid missing the big moment while looking for my seat, or fetching a beer.
:beer
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

livesoft wrote:Wait until the next day. Isn't this the ultimate marketing machine?
I was thinking of waiting a few years and watching it on ESPN Classics.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Chadnudj

Post by Chadnudj »

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

Chadnudj wrote:[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
Unfortunately, this has been an ongoing issue for him. :(
Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 »

cheese_breath wrote:
I was thinking of waiting a few years and watching it on ESPN Classics.
High profile Prizefights are the Actively managed (heavily marketed), High Front end load (overpriced for actual returns) equivalent among entertainment choices. There is no bogle head option for me other than removing the 'buy now' stations from my DVR.
ginmqi

Post by ginmqi »

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
vtjon

Post by vtjon »

There was an article the other day that many of the Buffalo Wild Wings locations were not getting the fight due to the cost. I think the article quoted $5100 per location.
kramer

Post by kramer »

navyitaly wrote:Yes, for US military members overseas supporting our great country, the fight is free! But, it's on at 0300 of course on AFN (Armed Forces Network)..but the promoters are allowing military members overseas to watch it for free!
Yes, many of my friends here in the Philippines are retired military and so I plan to watch it at a friend's house that way. As a bonus, he has a swimming pool so I am bringing the swim suit :D It should be on late Sunday morning here, probably around 11:30. There will be absolutely no traffic on the roads during the fight.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

vtjon wrote:There was an article the other day that many of the Buffalo Wild Wings locations were not getting the fight due to the cost. I think the article quoted $5100 per location.
Paper today said $30 times the official capacity of the place.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Are you close to the border? Head to TJ!

MAYWEATHER-PACQUIAO FIGHT TO BE SHOWN FOR FREE IN MEXICO

Here are Mayweather-Pacquiao pay-per-view prices in other lands:

United States: $100
Canada: $78.88
Scandinavia: $59.52
Australia: $47.94
New Zealand: $38.51
United Kingdom: £19.99 ($30.79)
Singapore: $30.24
Germany: $22.06
Spain: $13.23
http://www.sportsgrid.com/boxing-3/mayw ... countries/
Topic Author
d_green

Post by d_green »

inbox788 wrote:Are you close to the border? Head to TJ!

MAYWEATHER-PACQUIAO FIGHT TO BE SHOWN FOR FREE IN MEXICO

Here are Mayweather-Pacquiao pay-per-view prices in other lands:

United States: $100
Canada: $78.88
Scandinavia: $59.52
Australia: $47.94
New Zealand: $38.51
United Kingdom: £19.99 ($30.79)
Singapore: $30.24
Germany: $22.06
Spain: $13.23
http://www.sportsgrid.com/boxing-3/mayw ... countries/
Unfortunately, I live in the NE. It looks like I'm stuck with US pricing.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I am a fan of Professional Boxing and I have ordered up on Pay Per View for my flat screen TV the biggest money fight in the history of Professional Boxing. The fight will cost me $100 billed to my TV Cable account. I will host 14 people in my apartment to watch the fight and have charged them $10 each. I will be able to cover my cost and will furnish refreshments. I have never had more than four people in my apartment at one time so this will be interesting. I have arranged good seating and everyone should be comfortable.

http://www.sportingnews.com/sport/st...channel-latest
FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket »

ginmqi wrote:
SquawkIdent wrote:
Chadnudj wrote:Here's an idea: don't give money to line the pockets of Floyd Mayweather, a man who beats women.

Just my two cents, but I can think of MILLIONS of ways to spend my money and time that are better than enabling and enriching a piece of human trash that beats women.
Unfortunately, this has been an ongoing issue for him. :(
Exactly.

It's amazing how in the NFL, players are suspended left and right and NFL PR is tarnished after domestic violence issues.

And yet, Mayweather, a known repeat offender of beating women, is basically going to make 100mil+ in 1 night with people all over asking where to view the fight. Pretty disgusting imo.
The Pac-Man is no saint either. http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/ ... sion-case/

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/20 ... ence-video

Not a single cent of mine will go to this. I won't even stream it for free, which is super easy to do.
tj

Post by tj »

This is probably the biggest fight in the last 30 years and is expected to shatter the previous pay per view record.
Is there a particular reason people care about this fight?

I am admittedly ignorant to boxing....
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

d_green wrote:I am trying to find out if there are any ways to legally watch this weekend's Pacquaio/Mayweather boxing match for less than the On-Demand price. My Verizon FIOS system is charging $99 for the fight. I am not interested in watching any pirate Internet streams.

I am wondering if there are any establishments that can show the fight legally to patrons willing to pay an admission fee. Can bars show the fight legally while charging patrons a small cover charge? Thanks
Sure there are establishments, just do some research. I ordered for the going rate of $99 and it is well worth it.
FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket »

tj wrote:
This is probably the biggest fight in the last 30 years and is expected to shatter the previous pay per view record.
Is there a particular reason people care about this fight?

This fight would have mattered much more 4 or 5 years ago. They are both indisputably two of the best boxers ever. The problem is they are both past their prime. Mayweather is past his prime meaning he doesn't have a lot of punching power anymore, but Pacquiao is WAYYYYY past his prime in power, speed, you name it. The reason people care about this fight is that it may be the last boxing match anyone cares about.
Willing2Learn

Post by Willing2Learn »

tj wrote:Is there a particular reason people care about this fight?

I think people get caught up in wanting to experience the hype with other people in real-time like other sporting events. Waiting just a few minutes or hours reduces the price dramatically to see the results after the fact.

Promoting of two people to hurt each other until one is disabled is not my cup of tea but friends are really excited about this fight. I'm sure there are hobbies or interests my friends think are silly that I care about. :happy
mxs

Post by mxs »

People care about this fight because Mayweather has never lost a fight(47 wins, 26 by knockout), and just about the only person that he hasn't faced that would have a chance at beating him is Pacquiao. Yes, this fight would have been better 4 to 6 years ago, but it didn't happen then. Mayweather thought Pacquiao was on PED's (Performance Enhancing Drugs aka steroids/HGH) and demanded that Pacquiao get a more thorough drug test than was normally given. Pacquiao finally gave in to the drug test and they agreed to terms on who would get paid how much (Mayweather is getting 60% and Pacquiao is getting 40%). The more thorough drug test and hopefully making it standard for all future fights is actually a good thing. Yes, both of these two lack in the likeability area (especially Mayweather) but they are the biggest names in their sport, especially their weight division. I hope Pacquiao wins based on likeability, but I honestly don't care and am not watching the pay-per-view.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

If you're a beer drinker, here's a way to save up to $50 off the cost of the fight -

Customers can save $15 with the purchase of one Tecate or Tecate Light 18-pack, $30 with the purchase of two 18-packs, or $50 with the purchase of three.
Mail-in rebate forms should already be available at point-of-purchase locations, although Tecate is available primarily in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and Texas.
westie

Post by westie »

At home for free
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

FullYellowJacket wrote:Not a single cent of mine will go to this. I won't even stream it for free, which is super easy to do.
+1

I wouldn't watch it even if there was a chance that a hockey game could break out. :D Apologies for the old joke.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Well, for those who shelled out $100 +, was it a good investment of your time and treasure?
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan »

The fight was Boring. We had a good time at our party though.
sambb

Post by sambb »

The best lesson to learn from the fight is how 2 stakeholders managed to make very large dollars through savvy marketing and negotiation, rather than let promoters take most of the money.

There is a business side to this.
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

Lon wrote:I am a fan of Professional Boxing and I have ordered up on Pay Per View for my flat screen TV the biggest money fight in the history of Professional Boxing. The fight will cost me $100 billed to my TV Cable account. I will host 14 people in my apartment to watch the fight and have charged them $10 each. I will be able to cover my cost and will furnish refreshments. I have never had more than four people in my apartment at one time so this will be interesting. I have arranged good seating and everyone should be comfortable.

http://www.sportingnews.com/sport/st...channel-latest
Just amused but did the license you signed allow you to charge admission? IIRC the PPV for Rugby specifically prohibited charging for any food or similar expenses.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a number of off-topic comments. The fight is over, there's no point to continue. This thread has run its course and is locked.
Locked Topics

Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.