Who still have Cable TV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Hawaiishrimp

Who still have Cable TV?

Post by Hawaiishrimp »

Who still have Cable TV? $100 bucks a month. What a waste.
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.
dumbbunny

Re: Who still have Cable TV?

Post by dumbbunny »

We just purchased basic cable just for reception of local broadcasts - the rabbit ears proved unreliable - about $17/month. We budget it under Entertainment.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

In your opinion. What's the better alternative? $100 really isn't much when you think about it. 2 tickets to the ball game, with parking & food is easily $100. And I have TV for the other 30 days of the month. I think it's all based on perspective.

OTA TV is great so long as what you want to what is broadcast OTA. But that's probably not the case.
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

I have no TV, thus no cable TV.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
Paul78

Post by Paul78 »

I have cable and even worse I only have one provider choice (Los Angeles sections out the cable market and I live in an apartment so I can not have satellite).

I just get the new customer promo rate every year by calling and threatening to cancel. Even with the promo rate it is still a bit expensive but I am able to justify it to myself. Without the promo rate is is completely overpriced and I would have to drop it. Internet, on the other, I would not be able to drop regardless of how bad the price is (too dependent on it).

Post by 123 »

Pay TV (Satellite/Cable) is the only option for those of use that have a spouse that can't get enough C-SPAN! Those Comcast cable people have even set it up so that the only way to get the full complement of C-SPAN channels (1,2,3) for the truly addicted is to subscribe to a higher tier package.

I think it was last year that they put in a pay-tv wall around C-SPAN. While you can view "Federal events" for free on-line those extraordinary boring (to me) C-SPAN political discussions, book reviews, etc. require a subscription.

I can rationalize that to provide the spouse the full complement of C-SPAN with a higher level cable package I must make use of the various sports channels included to get our money's worth.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Have never had cable. Or dish. Just little antennas (antennii?) in various rooms.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Hawaiishrimp wrote:Who still have Cable TV? $100 bucks a month. What a waste.
I ditched my cable in 2008 and never looked back. Back then I was paying $70 per month and now I pay $16 for Netflix and Amazon.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

tludwig23 wrote:I have no TV, thus no cable TV.
I could never do this. I love my tv too much. Maybe I have an addiction problem. lol.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

GerryL wrote:Have never had cable. Or dish. Just little antennas (antennii?) in various rooms.
I have an outdoor antenna which works great, but the television in my kitchen uses an indoor. I always have issues with it and can never get all the channels. What's your secret?
DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings »

We dropped cable to save money. Now we have Netflix, a Roku and an indoor antenna. Netflix is great. There is a huge selection and no commercials. There are a couple of shows we used to watch that we don't get anymore, but it is no big deal. I like saving the money.
Apparently different types of antennae work better in different geographic locations For selection of the best indoor antenna for your area, go to this website:
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=29
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

stemikger wrote:
GerryL wrote:Have never had cable. Or dish. Just little antennas (antennii?) in various rooms.
I have an outdoor antenna which works great, but the television in my kitchen uses an indoor. I always have issues with it and can never get all the channels. What's your secret?
No cable. Couldn't find a business that installs antennas here, or I'd try that. I must be on about year 4 or 5 and counting with no form of television. The first year or so I watched stuff online or via dvds, but that fell by the wayside.
awval999

Post by awval999 »

Have Netflix and DirecTv. Both are excellent uses money. There is no other way to get local NBA or MLB games. Or other live sports. My wife watches trashy reality shows.
johnubc

Post by johnubc »

What are the best options to replace it via internet access -

hulu for current tv shows?
digital antenna for local stations?
Netflix for movies?
Amazon for two day shipping?
Magruder

Post by Magruder »

I have HD cable TV package including Showtime with basic internet and modem included from Time Warner for $51 per month. Group buy through homeowners association.
crg11

Post by crg11 »

I do. Need my sports and the only way to get most of my local teams is with cable. I managed to negotiate a package for 104Mbps internet and the lowest TV package that gives me NESN (New England Sports Network) for $117/month, locked in for 2 years. Low enough that I can live with it for now.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Got it only because the "internet/cable" deal was cheaper than "internet alone". Problem is the crappy cable TV resolution is worse than the over the air HDTV - we only have the channels I could get over the air anyway - so the only benefit is an onscreen tv guide.
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

dolphinsaremammals wrote:
No cable. Couldn't find a business that installs antennas here, or I'd try that. I must be on about year 4 or 5 and counting with no form of television. The first year or so I watched stuff online or via dvds, but that fell by the wayside.
Our family uses Mohu Leaf 50 Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna

This has a 50-mile range to access Over-the-Air TV channels without a cable or satellite subscription.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Peterjens wrote:We just purchased basic cable just for reception of local broadcasts - the rabbit ears proved unreliable - about $17/month. We budget it under Entertainment.
Have you tried just plugging in your "internet" cable and tuning your TV? We're able to receive all local HDTV channels for free via the cable although they are not formally included with internet.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

I've had cable for the last several years. Worth the money for live sports.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

It seems like a must if you like to watch live sports. For example, the NCAA final four semi finals were only on TBS this year.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

climber2020 wrote:I've had cable for the last several years. Worth the money for live sports.
Live sports is the only reason I still have cable.
stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe »

We do. Our cable costs us $0.50 cents more per month (e.g., $20.50 all in taxes, fees, etc) than the $20 surcharge would be if we turned it off entirely and kept only the broadband internet service.

For that 50 cents a month we get 23 channels or so. Compared to the 4-6 we'd get with an directional antenna where we live, I think it's great value and priced about right. :)
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

I think a more important measurement is what do we pay for telephone, cell phones, internet, and television. Currently, I have a bundled housephone, cable TV, and internet, plus cell phones. Since we enjoy streaming(wife likes Hallmark stuff, some detective shows, and I like sports). We are looking for the most economic way to have internet, basic TV, and cell phones(don't need the house phone). Our current price for the 4 is about $200. I need a way to reduce this.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

I've only paid for cable for 2 out of the last 9 years. And that was because TWC offered me Internet + HDTV + HDDVR for $65/month all inclusive and at the time Verizon wouldn't budget below $50 for internet. I have access to Netflix (parents account), tons of online streaming TV (abc, nbc, cbs, fox, usa, cw, Disney Jr., etc... via my HTPC), OTA TV, etc...
bengal22 wrote:I think a more important measurement is what do we pay for telephone, cell phones, internet, and television. Currently, I have a bundled housephone, cable TV, and internet, plus cell phones. Since we enjoy streaming(wife likes Hallmark stuff, some detective shows, and I like sports). We are looking for the most economic way to have internet, basic TV, and cell phones(don't need the house phone). Our current price for the 4 is about $200. I need a way to reduce this.
Home phone - $5/month (Ooma)
Internet - $35/month (Verizon 15/15 internet, I'll probably switch to TWC in a year when Verizon tries to up the rates)
Cell phones (2x smartphones) - $23/month (Ting, mostly use Wifi and Google Voice)
TV - $0/month
Total = $63/month

It isn't that hard to drop the all combined price to below $60 if you don't need/want a home phone and have the ability to switch Internet providers. There are upfront costs like phones and a HTPC, but they don't have to be expensive. I think I paid ~300 for the PC over 5 years ago, and ~$550 for the two smartphones two years ago (and that is going fancy).
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

We have DirecTV. I watch a lot of College Football and NFL, and a little MLB; Wife watches her "The Duggars," and kids what "river monsters."

I'm not sure what we would do without it.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Yes we still have Time Warner cable TV and a fast version of internet, at $147 / month including all fees and taxes. I, wife and adult son watch it. I personally like CNN, History, Learning, National Geographic, Waether, ESPN and similar channels. We do not watch any extra-pay movies. So what, it is entertainment, others spend their entertainment money on other things like multiple smart phones with data plans which we do not have. We have Basic Talk and dumb cell phones only.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We have satellite but out here in rural America, there isn't much in the way of choices. Our antenna gets one channel and it is considered extremely fuzzy at best. We could go to internet but to get fast enough download speeds to be able to watch anything, we only have one internet provider that gets those speeds and for that privilege it costs $90/month. The one and only cable company lost my business last year when they upped our monthly cable bill to $250/month, a 100% increase over what it had been. I read about all these options that others on here have and it seems like fantasy land to me.
wander

Post by wander »

I still have cable to get information about local emergencies (school closed due to snow, hurricanes ...) because I cannot get any over-the-air signal with my outdoor antenna. I know I can get information for free from the internet, but it is much easier and more convenient to turn on TV and see public notice while making coffee/breakfast.
kingsnake

Post by kingsnake »

Time Warner just like likegarden posted above.
Been on the verge of getting rid of the cable portion. As soon as NHL hockey playoffs are over may pull the plug. We mostly watch PBS anyway other than some select sports.
3Wood85

Post by 3Wood85 »

I am ditching cable in a couple months when I move, I will use Netflix, HBO Now and maybe a Roku or Apple TV. Not sure what I will do for my sports fix, but I will figure it out.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

I watch so many sports on TV that at this point, I'm not even thinking about cutting the chord. $100 is worth it for the convenience that cable tv offers me for my sports viewing.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

*sigh*

Whether it's about cable, or Macs, or Rolexen, or luxury cars, these sorts of judgmental threads all miss one very important point:

There's nothing wrong with paying money for something from which you legitimately derive commensurate value.

We all have different consumer needs and different ideas of "value". It's not really fair to expect everyone else's to be the same as yours, is it?
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
bs010101

Post by bs010101 »

We just cancelled basic cable. Haven't missed it yet.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

We had no cable for 2 years. We liked only having Netflix and Hulu Plus.

This winter I signed up for DirecTV again. I love the idea of no cable/sat but I missed watching the Twins, Wild, T-Wolves and NFL games on ESPN and NFL Network.

I loved not spending the $100 per month but we have 8 months of winter here and we just watch TV more than we should. I gave up on an ideal to just be happy in the moment. :oops:
gator15

Post by gator15 »

I have cable and while it is expensive ($200) I love it. Provides all the sports and premium channels I like. I can pay $200 a month for cable or spend a lot more money over the course of a month on others ways to entertain myself. No thanks. I will keep cable. That $200 includes Internet as well.
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

sunny_socal wrote:
Peterjens wrote:We just purchased basic cable just for reception of local broadcasts - the rabbit ears proved unreliable - about $17/month. We budget it under Entertainment.
Have you tried just plugging in your "internet" cable and tuning your TV? We're able to receive all local HDTV channels for free via the cable although they are not formally included with internet.
That's changing. Companies caught on and are making so you will not be able to do that much longer. Charter has already done it in my area.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

We haven't paid for TV since 1991. No cable, no dish, just an antenna in the attic.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

JupiterJones wrote:
*sigh*

Whether it's about cable, or Macs, or Rolexen, or luxury cars, these sorts of judgmental threads all miss one very important point:

There's nothing wrong with paying money for something from which you legitimately derive commensurate value.

We all have different consumer needs and different ideas of "value". It's not really fair to expect everyone else's to be the same as yours, is it?
+1. I totally agree. We are all different with different preferences.
jackiechiles

Post by jackiechiles »

We just got Sling TV, which gives us something like 20 cable channels, including ESPN, ESPN2, SEC Network for 26.99 a month. No contract, stream over xbox one. Antenna for locals and netflix. Internet with TWC runs $34.99, so we're spending around $69.97 a month total for internet and "cable."
Johno

Post by Johno »

JupiterJones wrote:
*sigh*

I agree. And besides difference in preference, $100 is more for some people than others, who, back to preferences, might have other things they'd rather do (now or later, later=savings) with that money. But we aren't sacrificing anything significant now or later by having cable. We can buy anything we want (not anything, anything *we want*) without affecting our financial security, I think 10-15% of spending going to charity is enough, and our kids will get plenty. The implicit assumption of statements like OP is that $100/mo makes any difference. To some it makes a significant difference, others not so much. If the value of cable were really *zero* then I'd still get rid of it. But it's not, it's for sports when our grown sons come over, news channels we could live without but prefer to watch, and even some silly reruns and on-demand shows that aren't on Netflix or Hulu. If we needed to spend less, sure we'd look at cutting cable, but we don't.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Beware of confusing your preferences with virtues. I have cable TV as part of a bundle; yes, I even have 2 landlines.

I personally (and this is not in 100% agreement with the rest of my family) find alcohol, nice clothes, and vacation homes a waste of money. That's what makes horse races.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Plenty do. If it's a waste for you then stop paying for it.

Our association fees include basic cable so until the association votes to eliminate it we'll have it.
johnubc wrote:What are the best options to replace it via internet access -

hulu for current tv shows?
digital antenna for local stations?
Netflix for movies?
Amazon for two day shipping?
What shows/networks do you watch? What devices do you have and what do they support? If a TV, bluray, Roku, AppleTV or similar device that you have doesn't include an option then how far are you willing to go to view via another solution like a computer, iPad, etc? Best often involves a lot of subjective preference so you have to include such information if you want feedback whenever you use the word. Any particular solution isn't going to be best unless you can and are willing to make use of it and it provides the content that you want.
SleepKing

Post by SleepKing »

bloom2708 wrote:I missed watching the Twins, Wild, T-Wolves and NFL games on ESPN and NFL Network.
+1

Only reason we do cable is for 'live sports' on local cable sports networks. To me and my family it is worth it.

Does anyone have a reliable way to pick up local cable sports networks other than cable/satellite?
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

sunny_socal wrote:
No. Our internet (Frontier) comes into an upper floor bedroom/office. Our TV (Comcast) is on the main floor.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

We cut cable 3 years ago. I have a dedicated Windows7 desktop hooked up to the TV via HDMI and a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard/touchpad on the couch. I also get very good over the air local channel reception here in flat land Dallas with a Mohu Leaf internal antenna. The only channel that still resides on the dark side is ESPN - hope they go the HBO GO way. Other than that it has been a fantastic experience.

That said, the cable providers are pricing their internet only packages closer and closer to the internet+tv packages so that they get your money anyway.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Matt48Ritchie

Post by Matt48Ritchie »

Comcast is pretty much the only option in our area, and if we ditched cable we might save $10 a month. That just gets us the basic channels, in non-HD. So that's worth it for us. We also have Netflix. And we mooch off friends/family that have larger packages and use their logins for watching espn, tbs, tnt and such online. Other than Sundays during football season, I don't think we'd miss our minimal package. And my wife thinks an antenna, like the Leaf one, would be ugly so we haven't tried that route yet.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

SleepKing wrote:
bloom2708 wrote:Does anyone have a reliable way to pick up local cable sports networks other than cable/satellite?
You can purchase league-specific online viewing services - NHL GameCenter Live, MLB.tv, etc -- but those cost money and most find no significant savings when you add all those online services up vs. just sticking it out with cable. And even then, you need to deal with the local blackouts.

Which goes back to my original post - what's the alternative (other than not watching any Tv/sports)?
bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 »

Being smug about how people spend money is particularly unattractive. If you can afford it and it adds value to your life, enjoy it. We make way too much of a thing about "guilty" pleasures in my opinion.
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

The cable companies hire some pretty smart people.

I don't like how much I pay for cable (about 200 bucks for the premium package with cable, internet, landline). I've looked into downgrading my package.

I need the premium sports package for NFL RedZone, NFL network, and BIG10/SEC networks. I need HBO now because I'm hooked on their shows. I need Showtime now because I'm hooked on their shows. I could never give up the HD DVRs now that I've become accustomed to watching recorded shows either on the couch or in bed.

Had I never experienced having these channels, I'm sure I wouldn't miss it. But now that I have I don't want to go back. I'm hooked on their service and will probably keep it until I either experience a need to urgently reduce expenses or the price jumps significantly and I need to re-evaluate.