Blacktop Driveway Sealing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
runner9

Blacktop Driveway Sealing

Post by runner9 »

I’m trying to get some advice for my mom, widowed a year, about her blacktop driveway. My house has concrete, so I don’t any anything about this.

They moved in in 1987, I remember the driveway top layer was almost like peeling and my dad was told the previous owners had sealed it every year which was more than they should have, when I was growing up I don’t remember my dad doing anything to it, but he might have once or twice at the most.

Fast forward all these years: In May, 2013 they paid $740 to have the driveway repaired. The proposal said: “Fill cracks ½ inch or larger with crack filler; Apply 1 coat of Sealmaster sealer to entire drive.”

That was done but now it’s cracking again. I guess where the big cracks where they all have cracks again, and there are many thin cracks that have developed as well. My mom called the same company for their suggestion, they left a message back proposing $775 to “fill cracks and reseal”.

My dad may have sealed it once or twice in the years before this company came out but that’s been it. Yes, this past winter was really bad, the last two winters have probably been the 2 worst in 15 years here, so that might make a different.

My mom’s question to me is: Do you think this is reasonable? Should this need to be done 2 years later? Should she call another company instead? Not really questioning the cost but the time frame between when it was last done and now.

I'm not sure what advise to give her as this isn't in my wheelhouse. Suggestions appreciated!
HardKnocker

Re: Blacktop Driveway Sealing

Post by HardKnocker »

It depends on how big the driveway is.

How big is the driveway?

My driveway is about 15 feet wide by 40 feet. I do mine myself and use about four 5 gallon containers of good quality sealer from Home Depot. The sealer is about $30 a container. I buy a bottle of crack filler for about $8. So it costs me about $130 in materials plus a broom/squeegee for another $10 that I have used for several years.

It takes me a hour or two. I do it every other year. Every year is too often.

I've heard quotes of around $300 for a company to do mine. They use a hot sealer. I don't like the quality of their sealer. It is very thin.

Sealing a driveway helps to keep water from getting into the blacktop and freezing in cold weather or just causing problems. It won't prevent cracking from forming over time. Blacktop driveways last about ten years if installed correctly. Even so you'll get cracks before the ten years are up. Not all blacktop installers do a good job however. There are lots of fly-by-night operators in the business. They are the guys that show up on your doorstep with "extra blacktop from another job they just did in your neighborhood".

An initial installation will put in a good, deep base material and roll it flat. Then a couple thinner layers of asphalt. After ten years if the driveway is deteriorating the installer will skin the top layer of blacktop off and lay a new thinner layer on top. No need to dig out the existing base at this time. The second time around is less expensive than a complete installation with base layer.
Last edited by HardKnocker on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
mxs

Post by mxs »

Every other year seems reasonable, depending on how nice she wants it to look. They make higher quality (more expensive) sealers that cost more and claim to last longer, but I don't know if there is much if any truth to this. I like doing things myself, so if I were you and able I would maybe try doing it myself depending on availability and size of the drive. Just read the label and know that you can't drive on it for a day or two.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

runner9 wrote:I’m trying to get some advice for my mom, widowed a year, about her blacktop driveway. My house has concrete, so I don’t any anything about this.

They moved in in 1987, I remember the driveway top layer was almost like peeling and my dad was told the previous owners had sealed it every year which was more than they should have, when I was growing up I don’t remember my dad doing anything to it, but he might have once or twice at the most.

Fast forward all these years: In May, 2013 they paid $740 to have the driveway repaired. The proposal said: “Fill cracks ½ inch or larger with crack filler; Apply 1 coat of Sealmaster sealer to entire drive.”

That was done but now it’s cracking again. I guess where the big cracks where they all have cracks again, and there are many thin cracks that have developed as well. My mom called the same company for their suggestion, they left a message back proposing $775 to “fill cracks and reseal”.

My dad may have sealed it once or twice in the years before this company came out but that’s been it. Yes, this past winter was really bad, the last two winters have probably been the 2 worst in 15 years here, so that might make a different.

My mom’s question to me is: Do you think this is reasonable? Should this need to be done 2 years later? Should she call another company instead? Not really questioning the cost but the time frame between when it was last done and now.

I'm not sure what advise to give her as this isn't in my wheelhouse. Suggestions appreciated!
My 15 x 40 cost $200 to seal 3 years ago. I have some cracks now that certainly need to be repaired. I'd call another company and get an estimate.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

After one or 2 years in spite of sealing the cracks will show up again. Usually every 25 years you need to have the blacktop replaced, your descriptions seems to indicate you need a replacement. In case of replacement make sure there is a minimum of 4 inches gravel and 4 inches of asphalt, and you have to be right there and watch the guys. Mine was replaced 1998 and has now one wide crack and a thinner one across and small ones on the sides at the street. I usually seal the cracks every year using a bottle from Home Depot, and get it resealed every 2 years from an experienced team of 2 for $200 to 300. I live in upstate NY, and my driveway is 20 ft wide and 60 or so feet long, plus 2 walkways. Don't go for the $90 jobs of resealing.
When I was young I did the sealing myself, but it never looked so good as the experts can do.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

runner9 wrote:They moved in in 1987, I remember the driveway top layer was almost like peeling and my dad was told the previous owners ...
I think she's got her money's worth out of that driveway.

Are you worried about the looks or the function? You can probably keep it working indefinitely by filling cracks, but at some point it's going to be all cracks and resemble gravel.

If the driveway is still flat with only surface cracks it was a good initial install. It may be able to be resurfaced with a fresh topcoat of asphalt without digging it up completely.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

How often are roads sealed?

Never
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:How often are roads sealed?

Never
Agreed - I share a very long driveway with a neighbor. I am at the end so use "his" part of the driveway to get to the road. We split repair on the shared portion but he likes it sealed. I consider it to be painting it black so decline to contribute (which has not resulted in any hard feelings as I explained my paint theory and used the "how often do they paint the roads" question). To expect a few thousandths of an inch of sealer to prevent cracks is silly. One house I sold the realtor recommended doing what he called "slurry seal" which puts about 1/8" of gloop on top and makes an old driveway look good for a few months.
cyfan

Post by cyfan »

hicabob wrote:Jack FFR1846 wrote:
How often are roads sealed?

Never
1) compare the thickness of the asphalt in a road vs your typical driveway
2) asphalt roads have cracks and holes (at least in the midwest) that most would deem unacceptable in their driveway

I fought that battle for 10 years before removing the asphalt and pouring concrete. The asphalt thickness in my old driveway varied from 2 to 3 inches max and in my case, sealing simply delayed the inevitable. If you live where the ground does not heave due to freezing, asphalt is probably fine.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Our townhome association handles the sealcoating for our asphalt/blacktop driveways, and the sealants on just about all 75 units last about two years max. I have heard that how long it lasts depends on how large and level the driveways are (most of ours are fairly long - four cars) and the age of the asphalt. But the quality of the sealcoating work by the contractor would also be a factor.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
westie

Post by westie »

Had my 25x70 driveway seal coated on Tuesday. I had gotten an estimate for $260 last fall and delayed it until spring. Called to reschedule and they said the price had dropped and would do it for $220 (I didn't even ask). Said it cost less in the spring. It looks fine, had some large cracks (2") filled, I already see some cracking. I had no expectation the filler would fix cracks that large. It looks a lot better, I hadn't done it in 10 years.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:How often are roads sealed?

Never
Roads aren't sealed because they are not made with asphalt like your driveway. Roads are made with road asphalt concrete...two different animals.

(I worked with a company which manufactured and sold sealers)

Driveways should be sealed as I will note below.

Buy the best sealer, not the cheapest. Ignore the "years guarantee" except the longest "guarantee" is usually the highest quality (highest solids and lowest water + thickeners.) Guarantees don't prevent driveway cracking. That is why you need to seal them more often. The purpose of sealers is to seal minute and larger cracks to keep water out to help prevent the driveway from breaking apart in freezing weather.

Apply sealer one year after the driveway is put down, but not in the first year. Then, apply a second coat one year following that. Then apply coats every 2 years in colder climates, or every 3 years in more warmer areas.

By the way, quality asphalt sealers are not paint....they are sealers. Poor quality "sealers" are basically only paint...That's the reason to buy quality.

{I seal my 2800 sq ft driveway myself every 2 years using 35 gallons of sealer. I don't mind doing it and I trust myself more to apply a quality product with a brush and squeegee to seal the cracks. If I hired someone, I would buy the product myself, and not use their black "paint" and would require them to not spray it on as many do, but to apply properly. (My company sold our products to professional driveway sealer companies and they were known to water them down as much as 50%.) My driveway is now 30 years old and in great shape.}
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Thanks all. I'm going to tell her the consensus is that every 2 years is normal but the quote seems high (without considering sq. footage), and getting a second quote and/or considering letting my do it DIY would be recommended.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Sheepdog wrote:My company sold our products to professional driveway sealer companies and they were known to water them down as much as 50%.
That's really distressing!
How do we know if they are doing this? Is the sealer thinner - how thin would a high quality sealer be? Do we see them adding water to their buckets?
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

When I was younger I sealed my driveways myself using the best sealer available at a big box store. My work still did not show any small cracks the next year. Now even the best sealing team's work will have bad spots after the first year. One year I saw how some guys were spraying it on for less than $100, so hired a few months after another guy who applied it by spreading for $200.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

This seems like a lot of ongoing work. My driveway is concrete (I guess, at least it looks like concrete) and nothing has had to be done to it since I moved in eleven years ago. I think it was pretty much new then, because the town did some work before I moved here that required ripping it up and then they replaced it.
edge

Post by edge »

I unfortunately have a blacktop driveway. It is part of our HOA and we haven't voted to change it to 'next time you replace/resurface your driveway it has to be concrete w/ aggregate with xx color'.

In any case, if the base of your driveway is solid then you don't need to 'replace it'. The driveway companies call what you need 'resurfacing' where they take some of the asphalt off, jackhammer any sunken / broken up areas, and then add 3 or so inches of new asphalt on top. The parts needing more repair get more attention naturally.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Miriam2 wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:My company sold our products to professional driveway sealer companies and they were known to water them down as much as 50%.
How do we know if they are doing this? Is the sealer thinner - how thin would a high quality sealer be? Do we see them adding water to their buckets?
You won't know if they water it down unless YOU purchase the sealer and watch them open the pails and watch them apply it. Many of these guys you cannot trust. They make money by watering it down. You must supervise.
Is it thinner when the product is watered down? Yes. Quality sealers usually have body to them and sort of "plop" when you pour it onto the asphalt.
Now, that's scientific, isn't it? plop?
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Sheepdog wrote:You won't know if they water it down unless YOU purchase the sealer and watch them open the pails and watch them apply it. Many of these guys you cannot trust. They make money by watering it down. You must supervise.
Is it thinner when the product is watered down? Yes. Quality sealers usually have body to them and sort of "plop" when you pour it onto the asphalt.
Now, that's scientific, isn't it? plop?
Haha! I'm sure it's scientific - I remember reading about the "plop principle" in science class. I think one of my kids did a science fair experiment on the "plop principle" :D
Thanks for the helpful information on asphalt driveway sealing - I think we need a wiki. :D I'm actually starting to get estimates now for our driveway in Florida. Looks like I'll have to watch the repairmen like a hawk. The last time it was patched and sealed was 10 years ago when my son did it for his boy scout home repairs merit badge. As I recall, he left the can open so long it turned to soft rock, which he stomped on to fill the holes. :shock:
magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter »

In my area (TampaBay) there are scam companies going door-to-door selling driveway resealing that uses poor materials. I just saw it on the local news last night, but I know it's been going on in this area for years. So be sure to use a reputable company.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Sheepdog wrote:
Miriam2 wrote:
You won't know if they water it down unless YOU purchase the sealer and watch them open the pails and watch them apply it. Many of these guys you cannot trust. They make money by watering it down. You must supervise. ...
Very true about supervising the work of all contractors, including follow-up to check for mistakes, failure to clean up, etc. BUT, the problem is that most homeowners don't have time to supervise (many are at work when sealing would be done) or even inclination to do this.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle