Broken Oxygen Sensor on Car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bagelhead

Broken Oxygen Sensor on Car

Post by bagelhead » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi,

The dealer said we have a broken oxygen sensor on our newer car and would need to be replaced for $500 including labor (not covered by warranty due to physical damage).

Based on googling, it seems that oxygen sensors are cheap and replacement/repair is common. Is it worth it to get a second quote from a non-dealer mechanic?

Beyond that, is it even necessary to replace it? The websites say mileage may decrease and emissions may increase. I've driven about 500 miles with the broken sensor, and the mileage has not changed at all.

Thanks.

Mike Scott

Re: Broken Oxygen Sensor on Car

Post by Mike Scott » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:28 pm

Replace immediately; but it does not need to be dealer service though.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:31 pm

> Beyond that, is it even necessary to replace it?

If your state has emission inspections the car may not pass with a broken sensor.

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:39 pm

In many cars, it will slowly destroy the catalytic converter, which will become blocked and also have to be replaced at a significantly higher cost.

Jack_R2

Post by Jack_R2 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:39 pm

I have a 2006 Honda Accord and the check engine light came on. Took it to my Honda dealer and they said it was a bad oxygen sensor. They charged me $148.74 for the part and $200 for the labor. I didn't get any other quotes so don't know if I over paid or not. But the service guy told me the O2 sensor tells the computer how the adjust the rich / lean fuel mixture. He said that some people ignore the check engine light and long term driving w/o O2 sensor functioning normally causes the fuel mixture to be too rich and can lead to fouled spark plugs and damage to the catalytic converter. Hope this helps. Jack

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:40 pm

My friends replace the O2 sensors themselves. So do-it-yourself. A web search says the part is less than $50. Labor would be $0.

Check out repairpal.com for estimates.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

keystone

Post by keystone » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:44 pm

I had a faulty O2 sensor on my Honda Civic. The check engine light came on and I noticed it was driving really weird. The acceleration was sluggish and it felt like the engine was going to quit. I say definitely get it replaced. The total cost was around $275-$300 based on memory.

I would personally get a 2nd opinion, but that is mostly because I don't trust any car dealerships in my area.
Last edited by keystone on Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:45 pm

Exactly what is the physical damage to the O2 sensor that would void the warranty. Sensors located such that physical damage from road impact or debris is very unlikely. The first rule is to always dispute any denial of warranty claim and escalate to the manufacturer level before accepting denial.

Dealers generally make far more profit on market repairs than they do warranty repairs. It is a built-in incentive for them to deny warranty claims. Next the manufacturers obviously have an incentive to deny warranty repairs. Think of it like an insurance company who denies claims only to approve on appeal, it's their profit margin.

Personally, I would consider physical damage to an O2 sensor on a newer car, either dealer caused or a design defect. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I have been able to get even out-of-warranty repairs 50% reimbursed by the manufacturer.

crake

Post by crake » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:05 pm

If the car is still under warranty this should be covered. I would fight it.

If you don't want to do that an independent mechanic should be able to fix it for under 200 dollars. The dealership is screwing you on the warranty and then screwing you even more on the repair bill. Unless you purposefully damaged the O2 sensor by hitting it with a hammer or some other nonsense I think this deserves a complaint to the car manufacturer or the State Attorney General. It is truly a ridiculous claim the dealer is making.

johnubc

Post by johnubc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:21 pm

Find out the price of the part via a website - and then determine if the labor is worth the extra cost.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:34 pm

Get on a forum or 2 that specialize on your car. You will need to know what the OBD-II code is (call the dealer or go to an auto store and they will read it for you for free) along with any symptoms. You are not the first to have this issue and there may be an easy tutorial on how to replace it for cheap.

You don't necessarily need to replace it immediately and depending on the sensor it may not impact engine performance at all, cars have 02 sensors in multiple locations. My car currently has a faulty "downstream" 02 sensor which means its downstream of the catalytic converter. It apparently doesn't influence engine performance at all and just checks to make sure the cat is functioning. I'll get around to replacing it soon because the check engine light is annoying.

On my car the sensors are around $100-$150 for OEM parts and they are fairly easy to replace but do require getting under the car and getting your hands dirty.

I would ask the dealer to explain what the physical damage is. Its possible a rock hit it or something but that is not likely IMO. O2 sensors are not wear and tear parts, they should be covered under a warranty if you still have it. However I don't understand why dealers turn down warranty service, I thought they get reimbursed by the manufacturer or something...maybe they wanted to double dip.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:55 pm

I've replaced these myself on past cars. Had to buy the sensor, and a breaker bar for leverage. You have to get your hands dirty, but it was not technically difficult.

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:11 pm

There are a bunch of different gizmos that are involved with the emission control system on vehicles in addition to the O2 sensor. I was told I had a bad O2 sensor (there's more than one), but it turned out it was some other gizmo involving manifold fuel-oxygen control that had to be replaced. I took the car to a local mechanic who knew how to tell the difference, or I would have wasted a bunch of money replacing one or more O2 sensors with no benefit. So, I'd maybe take the car to another independent garage to see what they have to say before getting the O2 sensor replaced.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:32 pm

Don't do it at the dealer if you can help it. Its been probably 8 years since I had to replace an O2 sensor. I don't think it was much more than $100 all told.

JT
Last edited by bottlecap on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:07 pm

livesoft wrote:My friends replace the O2 sensors themselves. So do-it-yourself. A web search says the part is less than $50. Labor would be $0.

I checked out repairpal.com for both Toyota and Lexus SUV on a 30k miles service; the former is cheaper by a whopping 50%!!!

Jim180

Post by Jim180 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:10 pm

I had an O2 sensor replaced a couple of years ago for $212.00. The repair shouldn't have gone up in price that much, so $500 is high. I was told by a mechanic that my car would not pass inspection with the "check engine light" on.

blevine

Post by blevine » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:12 pm

I had a 2000 Subaru that was factory recalled due to bad O2 sensors.
Original gave me no problems but on next visit to the dealer, I had them take care of it as suggested.
Ever since that "just in case" repair, had nothing but problems. Car kept stalling.
Had to pay to replace it again later, and still did not fix the problem.

Eventually traded in the car to the dealer, couldn't take it anymore.
My 2012 replacement has not had the same problems, so my point is not
anti-Subaru, but rather "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:34 pm

I have a 2001 Toyota Tundra and apparently one of the oxygen sensors went bad on a trip to Disney in 2006. When I got home, I was told it was one of the four sensors and they would not be able to tell which one. They wanted to replace them at about $200 each. My total bill would be between $200-800 depending on my luck. I decided to do nothing and the truck has been working fine ever since. Drove it to work today. Truck seems to run fine and gas mileage was not affected. I have looked at the check engine light for 9 years now. I know this may sound bad but the truck seems to run fine with no problems at all.

snowman

Post by snowman » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:39 pm

$500 is too much. Also, "broken" O2 sensor doesn't sound right.

Here are the steps I recommend:

1. Check your warranty. It may still be covered. Get it fixed for free if within warranty period.
2. If outside of warranty, and you are somewhat handy, get the code, google the part, buy on amazon or locally with discount codes, and replace it yourself. Go on youtube to see how you do it.
3. If you don't want to get your hands dirty, take it to another mechanic, preferably one that specializes in your brand. Look for a place that has been in business for a long time and has build solid reputation. Avoid chain stores at all costs.

Hope this helps.

snowman

Post by snowman » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:51 pm

bubbadog wrote:I have a 2001 Toyota Tundra and apparently one of the oxygen sensors went bad on a trip to Disney in 2006. When I got home, I was told it was one of the four sensors and they would not be able to tell which one. They wanted to replace them at about $200 each. My total bill would be between $200-800 depending on my luck. I decided to do nothing and the truck has been working fine ever since. Drove it to work today. Truck seems to run fine and gas mileage was not affected. I have looked at the check engine light for 9 years now. I know this may sound bad but the truck seems to run fine with no problems at all.

That's the problem with many dealers and independent shops as well - they want to replace all sensors, and many times CC as well. They cover all their bases, but it's very expensive for the customer, and most of the time unnecessary.

In your case, it could well be that the ECM/PCM software incorrectly interprets sensor inputs, causing the codes to set. If that's the case, there is probably TSB out there covering the procedure to update the ECM. The problem is that with the light on, you won't notice when the new - real - code pops up. So at a minimum I would recommend to periodically stop by at AZ or AAP and get the code(s) read. As another poster already noted, if one sensor actually does go bad, over time CC will go as well, and those things are pretty expensive to replace.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:29 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am going to need a new battery and I will have them check it at local auto parts store.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:40 pm

I just replaced the two of them on our 14 yr. old Acura.

$69 for two OEM Denso sensors and about one hour of work.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:49 pm

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowshoes

Post by snowshoes » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:27 pm

htdrag11 wrote:
livesoft wrote:My friends replace the O2 sensors themselves. So do-it-yourself. A web search says the part is less than $50. Labor would be $0.

I checked out repairpal.com for both Toyota and Lexus SUV on a 30k miles service; the former is cheaper by a whopping 50%!!!
The financial power of marketing names or labels to the public's perception of items is costly. Honda or Acura, Toyota or Lexus, Infinity or Nissan, the internet arguments abound! :?

William4u

Post by William4u » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:38 pm

It is pretty easy to change the O2 sensor yourself, as others have said. There is a 3 minute youtube video showing exactly how to do it for just about any car. You can watch the video for your car and see if you want to do it yourself. Auto parts stores will rent you the O2 socket for free. An O2 sensor is $50 from Amazon or an auto parts store. Make sure to get the OEM O2 sensor, since the knock-offs can cause problems when they communicate with the car computer.

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:11 am

In the absence of a working oxygen sensor, many cars go into a default "limp-home" mode since they no longer have the oxygen sensor input to adjust the fuel-air mix. As someone previously mentioned, this can be hard on the catalytic converter, particularly if the mixture is too rich. We had one fail on a Volvo 240 on a road trip and our gas mileage dropped from about 25 to 18 when in the default mode until I replaced it. So changing is important.

I've replaced several on the Volvos. Not hard to do other than they are a little tough to break loose sometimes. I would think the location and accessibility would make a big difference in labor. The ones I did were easy to get at but on some cars it seems like you have to disassemble half the engine to get at anything.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:12 am

You can't get dealership service of any kind here without it costing you an arm and leg. Go to another shop that's not affiliated with any dealership and get it done for half that most likely.

:sharebeer
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:42 am

depends on the car. On some BMW's the O2 code is usually an indicator of another problem "upstream" and not the O2 sensor itself.

I have personally seen this happen and the fix was absurdly cheap and the dealer wanted $3k...

wilked

Post by wilked » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:05 am

Year / make of car? I bet there is a YouTube showing how to do it.

I did it recently, super easy

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:42 am

clutchied wrote:depends on the car. On some BMW's the O2 code is usually an indicator of another problem "upstream" and not the O2 sensor itself.

I have personally seen this happen and the fix was absurdly cheap and the dealer wanted $3k...

It really depends on the code because there is no "O2 code". A rich or lean code may mean an upstream problem but low/no voltage codes probably mean a sensor problem. This is why its important to know the code and not just "the o2 sensor needs replacing"

Here is the full list of OBD-II codes: http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/
Last edited by barnaclebob on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Browser

Post by Browser » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:43 am

clutchied wrote:depends on the car. On some BMW's the O2 code is usually an indicator of another problem "upstream" and not the O2 sensor itself.

Exactly so. When I was having the problem the diagnostic code didn't pinpoint the component. Mechanic said it could even be the gas cap, so I replaced that first and it seemed to work. Then the light came back on, etc. It did not turn out to be the O2 sensor at all. It's not uncommon that you end up going on a snipe hunt replacing different emission system components before you get to the right one.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

nominalBob

Post by nominalBob » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:52 pm

MIL on?
Upstream or downstream?
Wide band or narrow band?

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:13 pm

Would you take advice about investing from bunch of oil nerds on the internet? Why would you ask car repair questions here?

But to iterate earlier advice; there is nothing which will cause the oxygen sensor to be physically broken. In all likelihood you have been lied to. If it is under warranty, you will have to escalate. The dealership is trying to make easy $500 off you.

wander

Post by wander » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:13 pm

I replaced all 4 O2 sensors on my car and It took me 2 hours because I had to cut and reuse old cables. It ran about $250 for all 4 sensors. If you buy new sensors with cable and connectors, replacing them is just a few snaps.
This one is easy, you need only one since it is obviously broken.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:21 am

I had to recently replace oxygen sensor on our Avalon. After confirming code at auto parts store for free and checking Toyota Forum, I decided to have an independent garage that specializes in Toyota to replace the sensor. It saved me about $200. I did not consider replacing it myself because the specific sensor was hard to get to and required disassembly of other parts. Some sensors may be easy to get to and more appropriate for DIY if you are comfortable with that and mechanically inclined.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:59 am

We have to be careful about telling people that replacing a particular O2 sensor is "easy." It can be easy or it can extremely difficult, partly depending on luck (even on identical model cars), and partly depending on mechanical skill, tools available, etc. It can require special tools to reach the location, or removing other parts to reach the location. Maybe a torch. You won't necessarily know until you start the job, or possibly have a lot of experience with a particular model.

NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:11 pm

wrongfunds wrote:Would you take advice about investing from bunch of oil nerds on the internet? Why would you ask car repair questions here?

But to iterate earlier advice; there is nothing which will cause the oxygen sensor to be physically broken. In all likelihood you have been lied to. If it is under warranty, you will have to escalate. The dealership is trying to make easy $500 off you.

Because some of us are car nerds too :)

Go to an independent mechanic or even a muffler place and tell them to replace to sensor. The part should be less than $100. Depending on how accessible it is, labor should be about 5 minutes. Depending on how much corrosion there is, labor may be a bit more time than that. O2 sensor can be an easy DIY repair until the sensor has become one with the exhaust manifold in which it's mounted...a couple hours and a torch later and you finally have it out.

While the car may be under warranty, technically an O2 sensor is considered a consumable, it's probably not going to be covered. OTOH for the O2 sensor to throw a code so early in the car's life, there's a good shot something else is the cause. Replacing the O2 is a cheap (relatively, not at your dealer apparently) first step if there's nothing else obvious like a vacuum leak, leaky injector, exhaust leak, etc.

Further info - your car has a pair of O2 sensors per cylinder bank (ie one bank for an inline engine, 2 banks for any flat or vee configuration) before and after the catalytic converters. The pre cat O2 is critical and provides feedback to your car's computer to adjust the air fuel mixture. Your post cat O2 merely monitors performance of the converter - if it goes out of spec that suggests the converter has failed if the O2 sensor did not fail. BTW emissions components like the converter is something like 7 years 100K federally mandated.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:26 am

Spirit Rider wrote:Exactly what is the physical damage to the O2 sensor that would void the warranty. Sensors located such that physical damage from road impact or debris is very unlikely. The first rule is to always dispute any denial of warranty claim and escalate to the manufacturer level before accepting denial.

This.

I had an O2 sensor that had physical damage and needed to be replaced but the physical damage was caused by loose honeycomb in the cat. Vehicle was out of warranty but emissions warranties are usually longer than the standard factory warranty so both my cat and O2 sensor were covered. Verify whether you're within the emissions warranty and confirm the cause of damage and whether or not that really rules out warranty coverage.

bagelhead wrote:Based on googling, it seems that oxygen sensors are cheap and replacement/repair is common. Is it worth it to get a second quote from a non-dealer mechanic?

Cost and effort vary. A second opinion is usually a good idea. Even a second dealer could be handy if you have more than one in your area.

TFinator

Post by TFinator » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:49 pm

wrongfunds wrote:Would you take advice about investing from bunch of oil nerds on the internet? Why would you ask car repair questions here?

It's sort of Ironic that you say nobody here is qualified to give advice on car issues, but then you give advice on the car issues that has been said by others here.

Also, there's a consumer issues portion of bogleheads for a reason...

wxz76

Post by wxz76 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:56 pm

A dealer once quoted me $550 to replace the upstream O2 Sensor on my car. I instead purchased the sensor and had it replaced at a local shop for less than $150.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:00 pm

I changed mine in my truck for about $50. Really easy

saladdin

Post by saladdin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:00 pm

Paying a dealer to replace an o2 sensor is really silly. The cars I've done took about 20 minutes and $30 a sensor. Now, I don't know your car and some have 2 sensors nowadays but no way would I pay a dealer to do this. This is like paying a plumber to replace the flapper in a toilet. Needless and expensive.

What model?
Have you youtubed a video?

saladdin

Post by saladdin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:03 pm

Had an o2 sensor that the wire connector broke from it's connector. Maybe mechanic meant this. Sensor was good but wiring was shot.

wilked

Post by wilked » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:25 am

I bought the special socket for ten bucks and did it myself. It does help to lengthen your ratchet with a pipe r something similar