Cleaning out large basement - cost to rent a dumpster?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
reneeh63

Cleaning out large basement - cost to rent a dumpster?

Post by reneeh63 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:43 am

I have a lot of stuff to get rid of in my full basement - I have no idea what are the typical sizes you can rent and the amounts for a city of 100,000 in the midwest...general googling doesn't give me anything that's actual local. Anyone have some experience - are we talking a couple hundred $?

dolphinsaremammals

Re: Cleaning out large basement - cost to rent a dumpster?

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Where I lived before you could rent one from the town trash pickup people. They left it at your house and picked it up something like two weeks later or when you called for that. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't astronomical. Phone yours are see if they do that, or if they know some company taht does.

JerLon

Post by JerLon » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:08 pm

Around here - suburban northeast - I can get a 15 yard rolloff for 275 for 10 days. Around 250 for a 10 yard, 350 for a 20 yard.

That covers the delivery and pickup as well as a few tons of weight. I just had a 15 yard where I went over by a couple tons (a lot of min-bounders from old landscaping) and it was 75 (tax included) for three extra tons.

scone

Post by scone » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:23 pm

Try googlig something like this:

Dumpster waste junk garbage near <name of closest significant town>

That should get you some hits using the map function. It's the word "near" in the string that triggers the little google hamsters to fetch the hits. If that does not work call your local dump, they are sure to know the local guys. In my (expensive) area, a 16' roll off dumpster is $290 for a 15 yard dumpster, for two weeks, plus a dump fee of $90 a ton with the first ton free.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore

CABob

Post by CABob » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:41 pm

I just did a search for "dumpster rental prices" and got several hits some located near by. Also "trash bins for rent" got some information on smaller sizes.
Bob

sport

Post by sport » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:49 pm

What sort of trash service do you have? If you put out a reasonable amount each week over time, they should take it away at no extra charge.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:55 pm

jsl11 wrote:What sort of trash service do you have? If you put out a reasonable amount each week over time, they should take it away at no extra charge.
Some cities will even take big items like furniture if you call them ahead of time to let them know that you have bulky items to put out.

If you wish to donate items, some places will come by and pick items up.

If you have electronic gear, you can take them to a local recycling place. Best buy stores in certain states will accept lots of electronic gear and even old style TV sets. I recycled lots of stuff at Bestbuy stores in Louisiana.

BestBuy recycling program and click on your state to see what they will accept:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global-Prom ... 9900050025
Wiki

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:45 pm

Just call a few companies.

How would anybody else know how much a dumpster costs in your city. For some strange reason you didn't even list a state.

Boats day

Post by Boats day » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:35 pm

Suggest you run an ad on craigslist under FREE stuff. We recently remodeled a condo an were surprised at how many people showed up to pick up old carpet,cabinets ,old appliances furnishings etc. It saved us about $500 on the rental of a dumpster.
It was nice to c the stuff recycled rather than end up in dumpster.

Topic Author
reneeh63

Post by reneeh63 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:42 pm

Rainier wrote:Just call a few companies.

How would anybody else know how much a dumpster costs in your city. For some strange reason you didn't even list a state.
Sorry Rainier - nope wouldn't expect you to know my area - it's out in the sticks anyway and likely NO ONE has heard of it!!!!!! The point is I tried to google giving my location and the only hits were useless yellow page listing and national crap that aren't local or even specific to my state. So just thought I'd ask to find out if the pricing might even be in the realm of possibility. My trash pickup is extremely restricted to the size of trashcan I had to purchase from the city with any little thing costing extra. The only "dump" is for special chemicals dropoff...In trying to clear an entire basement none of that is practical. But thanks for the idea to call some "companies"....lets see...under disposal, contractor, garbage....

Thanks every else for the ideas. I'll try a garage sale, craigslist first but anticipate a lot of leftovers nonetheless.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:46 pm

what about 1800gotjunk.com?
Wiki

walkabout

Post by walkabout » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:50 pm

I would try calling your city or county and see if they can give you the names of some companies that rent dumpsters. Or, maybe your city or county will rent you a dumpster.

Also, try looking at http://www.1800gotjunk.com/us_en Maybe they serve your area.

Good luck!

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:10 pm

In the old days, the yellow pages of the phone book would list non-municipal waste/garbage disposal companies. Where I live, you can read the name of the dumpster owner on the dumpster or roll-off. Waste Management is an S&P 500 size of company that is likely to be in any community that is the size of yours.

user5027

Post by user5027 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:10 pm

Another option is to rent a truck and take the stuff to the dump or transfer station yourself.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:11 pm

Boats day wrote:Suggest you run an ad on craigslist under FREE stuff. We recently remodeled a condo an were surprised at how many people showed up to pick up old carpet,cabinets ,old appliances furnishings etc. It saved us about $500 on the rental of a dumpster.
If you're in an area that gets a reasonable amount of street traffic, putting decent stuff at the sidewalk with a free sign on it will vanish some of it often within a day.

My experience with freecycle is you are as likely to have someone keep an appointment to pick up free stuff as you are to wait and they never show up. It's worth a try, but not worth a lot of inconvenience.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:18 pm

If you know any real estate agents they may be able to point you towards someone local that can help you get it cleaned out.

if you get a dumpster then be sure to ask about any restrictions on the types of things that you can put into it and how heavy it can be.

If it is going to be expensive then you may be able to separate the things that can be recycled and dispose of those separately.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:05 pm

Call the company that picks up your trash. If they don't rent them, keep calling trash companies until you find one that does. I don't expect you'll need to make more than 2 calls. When I did some renovations I rented a 20 yard dumpster for 10 days. I think it was $375.

Not to hijack the thread, but do people not make phone call inquiries like this any more? I'm of a younger generation and most of the people I know do "research" like the OP did on the Internet. My wife and I are trying to set up 2 projects. I'm getting estimates on replacement windows and she's getting them on back yard fences. I called 4 local companies and set up appointments on the spot. I've already met with 3 of them. My wife submitted Internet inquiries and only 1 place of 3 contacted her back and it was a few back and forth emails before finally setting up an appointment for Monday. I think it's clear which gets quicker results, but it actually involves human contact, which is apparently undesirable by most.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:37 pm

dolphinsaremammals wrote:
Boats day wrote:Suggest you run an ad on craigslist under FREE stuff. We recently remodeled a condo an were surprised at how many people showed up to pick up old carpet,cabinets ,old appliances furnishings etc. It saved us about $500 on the rental of a dumpster.
If you're in an area that gets a reasonable amount of street traffic, putting decent stuff at the sidewalk with a free sign on it will vanish some of it often within a day.

My experience with freecycle is you are as likely to have someone keep an appointment to pick up free stuff as you are to wait and they never show up. It's worth a try, but not worth a lot of inconvenience.
This works even better if you put up a for sale sign. Things will disappear overnight, and, who knows, somebody might actually pay you.

On your actual question, I can rent a 3 yard bin for a week or two for $90. How much "stuff" do you actually have? A three yard bin will actually hold quite a bit, depending on how carefully you pack it. You also don't need close truck access for delivery and pickup, since it can actually be rolled by hand. Depending on how many trips up from the basement you are making, it might actually make sense to rent two of these, one at a time.

Ralph

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Have done a 15 yd dumpster in the SouthEast for $325. Only downside to having it multiple nights was waking up to people rummaging through it. I don't care what people take, but I had oddly enough been strategic enough on how I put stuff in it so that I could max out the space. The pillaging foiled that.

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:25 pm

I think a dumpster is the right solution, makes it so easy to get rid of old junk. I live in a high cost area and was surprised by how cheap they are.

Rural areas could be more due to distance and less demand.

Laren

Post by Laren » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:47 pm

If you do get a dumpster, try to get one with some kind of lid that you can lock. An open dumpster seems to be an irresistible temptation for many people to dump their own stuff in whenever they think no one is looking. I found a ton of someone else's old carpet in one I rented; a friend found parts of a pick-up truck in one he rented. If you don't take some steps to prevent it, other people may well fill up your dumpster before you can!

OldLearner

Post by OldLearner » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:48 pm

reneeh63 wrote: Thanks every else for the ideas. I'll try a garage sale, craigslist first but anticipate a lot of leftovers nonetheless.
Freecycle is also an option if it's active in your area (http://www.freecycle.org). The price of a Dumpster (it's a registered trademark, you know) varies widely depending on how expensive it is to get rid of trash. For $25 I can get a small (2-3 yard) unit where I live. One big enough to put a car in cost about $450 loaded with construction waste. You can also check your local newspaper for "I haul away your trash" ads.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:59 am

I got unlazy enough to look for this collapsible thing I've seen. thebagster.com You buy the thing at Lowe's or wherever in a teeny package, no rental fee, whenever you've filled it up, Waste Management picks it up. Fees on the website:

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:40 am

When my grandmother passed away (a hoarder), I was enlisted to help clean out the house. My aunts and fiance helped. We held a day long yard sale. I got lots of boxes from the local liquor store and as we found things we thought were usable, we'd fill a box and put it out. We sold boxes for $5 for the whole box in the morning and once noon hit, for $1. The sign explained that pricing and we had plenty of people come back in the afternoon for the bargains. We did have a dumpster as we had so much stuff. The local salvation army would take clothing and other things of value that didn't sell. We filled the dumpster in the end, but sold more than 2 dumpsters worth of volume.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

papiper

Post by papiper » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:34 am

I didn't read all the threads but I did this for my parents house. I got a full length 1/2 height dumpster that worked very well. I had to have it emptied once - 50 years of stuff is a lot to toss, so it took 1 3/4 loads. The 1/2 height made it much easier to toss the stuff into. The cost was pretty small for the value.

Topic Author
reneeh63

Post by reneeh63 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:20 pm

ralph124cf wrote:
dolphinsaremammals wrote:

This works even better if you put up a for sale sign. Things will disappear overnight, and, who knows, somebody might actually pay you.

On your actual question, I can rent a 3 yard bin for a week or two for $90. How much "stuff" do you actually have? A three yard bin will actually hold quite a bit, depending on how carefully you pack it. You also don't need close truck access for delivery and pickup, since it can actually be rolled by hand. Depending on how many trips up from the basement you are making, it might actually make sense to rent two of these, one at a time.

That definitely sounds reasonable....thanks!
Ralph

Topic Author
reneeh63

Post by reneeh63 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:22 pm

Laren wrote:If you do get a dumpster, try to get one with some kind of lid that you can lock. An open dumpster seems to be an irresistible temptation for many people to dump their own stuff in whenever they think no one is looking. I found a ton of someone else's old carpet in one I rented; a friend found parts of a pick-up truck in one he rented. If you don't take some steps to prevent it, other people may well fill up your dumpster before you can!
Great point...I know there have been times I've been tempted myself given how difficult it is to get anything picked up by the regular garbage if it won't fit neatly in the prescribed trash can!

Topic Author
reneeh63

Post by reneeh63 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:26 pm

Kosmo wrote:Call the company that picks up your trash. If they don't rent them, keep calling trash companies until you find one that does. I don't expect you'll need to make more than 2 calls. When I did some renovations I rented a 20 yard dumpster for 10 days. I think it was $375.

Not to hijack the thread, but do people not make phone call inquiries like this any more? I'm of a younger generation and most of the people I know do "research" like the OP did on the Internet. My wife and I are trying to set up 2 projects. I'm getting estimates on replacement windows and she's getting them on back yard fences. I called 4 local companies and set up appointments on the spot. I've already met with 3 of them. My wife submitted Internet inquiries and only 1 place of 3 contacted her back and it was a few back and forth emails before finally setting up an appointment for Monday. I think it's clear which gets quicker results, but it actually involves human contact, which is apparently undesirable by most.
Relatedly, I have tried to get online estimates and such for household repairs, landscaping, etc. and even though their websites have forms, email addresses, etc. for online contacts seems like "guys" in those professions aren't really internet savvy and don't respond quickly or at all unless they maybe have some office help checking for them.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:35 pm

dolphinsaremammals wrote: If you're in an area that gets a reasonable amount of street traffic, putting decent stuff at the sidewalk with a free sign on it will vanish some of it often within a day.
Better yet, in an urban area you could put the stuff outside with a "for sale" sign attached; that will get you quick results -- the stuff will disappear overnight... :greedy

many rural communities have a dump site that will accept resident's stuff. make sure you check on rules and dates first and rent a truck. alternatively, a local contractor can either do the deed or refer you to their dumpster supplier.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:45 pm

reneeh63 wrote: Relatedly, I have tried to get online estimates and such for household repairs, landscaping, etc. and even though their websites have forms, email addresses, etc. for online contacts seems like "guys" in those professions aren't really internet savvy and don't respond quickly or at all unless they maybe have some office help checking for them.
Some companies, mostly it seems to be contractors, plumbers, roofers, and so on, have professional-looking websites, but sending email is like throwing a note in a bottle overboard. They must have them built but never think about them after that. I do miss the Yellow Pages. Googling framis near town is not nearly as good.