ceiling fan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
communipaw

ceiling fan

Post by communipaw » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:37 pm

My bedroom ceiling fan has conked out and in case it isn't practical to repair it, I'm researching new ones.

My present one is Hunter or Harbor, about 10 years old, 3 speeds, 5 blades, 52 inch with the control switch mounted on the wall next to my bed. The control chooses among 3 speeds, turns the fan light on and off but it cannot change the rotation direction of the fan; I have to do that manually, standing on a chair.

Beginning research shows that remote controls now have 3, 4 or 6 speeds and some can change the direction of the fan rotation. Also there seems to be new blade setups: curved/torqued 3 blades instead of 4 or 5 straight blades. I'd prefer more than 3 speeds and would like remote rotation change, if there are no negative factors involved and if the price does not shoot dramatically up.

The negatives about the current fan are that it has a light which I never use and the light makes the fan large and obtrusive [I have an 8 foot ceiling]. I'd rather have no light, since I don't use it; or if there is a light, I'd like it to be small and thin and not stick down.

I won't install it myself but will hire an electrician.

Has anyone bought a ceiling fan recently and has comments on their experience with what they bought? Anyone purchased from Lowes/Home Depot type stores which did the installation?

mhalley

Re: ceiling fan

Post by mhalley » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:49 pm

I bought a Hunter from Lowes several years ago. Self install, small light that doesn't hang down too far. Standard fan blades, 3 speeds activated by a pull switch. Not remote controlled or anything. Reversable. Working fine after say 4-5 yrs. This is sorta like the one I bought>
http://www.lowes.com/pd_363707-79-51048 ... facetInfo=

And this one might be one you would like acc to your specs:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_464472-93591-00 ... facetInfo=
This one also has 6 speeds, but you might want to look at the reviews because it takes an odd light:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_198689-88854-LP ... facetInfo=
I may be wrong, but I think installing the light is optional. OR you can shorten the shaft that goes to the ceiling. I kind of like having a light, because lamps don't illuminate the room enough if you are doing something like cleaning. In general when I have had Lowes install something simple like a ceiling fan they did an ok job, it is not that complicated. I probably wouldn't get an electrician, more like a handyman if you don't want lowes to do the install.
Mike
Last edited by mhalley on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:55 pm

My advice for a ceiling fan is whatever you do, do not cheap out. Get a good one or it's likely to break down, be noisy ect. I had an electrician install ours rather than self installation. Didn't want the thing crashing down on us while sleeping! I've found the Lowes contractors to be hit or miss. The recent guys that installed new toilets were top notch. The guys that did our carpet few years ago did a half assed job. Probably varies Lowes to Lowes and department to department.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 pm

All of my ceiling fans were bought first then I had a local electrician, someone I knew to be competent, do the installs at a reasonable price. It doesn't take very long to install a fan. As others have said, if you opt for the convenience of the BigBox Store contractors its a crap shoot on quality and workmanship. If they offer "free installation", it is likely built into the price, nothing is ever free.
After recently making a purchase to replace a 36-yr old fan that gave out, I learned this from researching.
The most important component to look for is the CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating. It can be anything from around 1,500 up to 9,000 or 10,000. The experts recommend don't buy any fan with less than 5,000 CFM, depending on size of room, it should be in the range of 5,000- 7000 CFM if you want to feel the maximum cooling effect.
Harbor and Hampton are the house brand labels of fans for Lowes and Home Depot, respectively. And they are all made in China. Many of them come with these newer features like remote controls and that is where the bulk of complaints come from, defects in these higher end features. Then, buyers are frustrated trying to get replacement parts or repairs, evidently both Lowes and HomeDepot blows them off, instead referring them to the manufacturer for help.

The very, very best ceiling fans with the top of the line features are going to be from Emerson, Casablanca, or Hunter, have the newer DC motors, high CFM rating, plus the Energy Star rating. ( OP should google "how to select a ceiling fan" before buying)
But, when you look at the price tags for one of these, you will probably blanch and do what I did, get one of the Chinese for around $125-$150. And skip the remote control and other fancy features you don't need and are documented to give trouble coming from non-American sources.

daveatca

Spend the money

Post by daveatca » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:24 pm

It is very difficult to find fan without a light.
We are still looking.

just frank

Post by just frank » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:01 am

I wanted totally silent, so I decided to get a DC/ECM motor fan, which are all quite spendy. I got a Aeratron off Ebay for ~$250. It has a 6 speed remote and no light.

It had an intermittent clinking noise problem, which after googling was traced to a loose (not-clicked) electrical connector, and easily repaired (by closing the connector fully).

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:05 am

We have had Hunter fans in the bedrooms of our house. They are quiet and still work fine after 30 years.

GerryL

Re: Spend the money

Post by GerryL » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:10 am

daveatca wrote:It is very difficult to find fan without a light.
We are still looking.

I bought my new ceiling fan at a lighting store. Did not want a light. Was told that just about any of the display models could be had without the light fixture. Funny thing was that I was first attracted to the one I chose because of the look of the light, but I went lightless. It was installed by a professional electrician during a larger remodel.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:24 am

I installed two Hunters in this house a few years back and both of them came with lights but installing them was optional. They had a trim plate that went over where the light went if you didn't use the light. The light added another three inches or so to the depth. We don't use the light often but I like it when I need it.

Both fans have remote controls. One I wall mounted the controls next to a light switch in our main living area but for the bedroom, we have two remotes on our nightstands to control the fan. Both remotes controls direction, light and 3 speeds. On the bedroom fan, I had the reversing module go bad after a few months and it couldn't reverse the fan blade any longer but a call to Hunter and they sent me a replacement free of charge. Coincidentally, it took a week for the reversing module to arrive in the mail and before I installed it, I tried the old one another time and it started working fine again and has for the last two and a half years. So I still have a new reversing module if it does ever go bad.

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:42 am

If you think you might want to use the wall switch as well as the remote, make sure your fan can do both.

We bought a fan for a spare bedroom and didn't want to use the remote. After we installed it, we found out that only the remote would control the fan. A quick call to the company and we were able to purchase a wall control unit and have it work just fine. The wall switch does the different speeds, controls direction, and the light as well. Basically a non portable remote with a finished look.

GO-UK

Post by GO-UK » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:59 pm

We bought the Casablanca fan linked below a few months ago and would repeat the purchase. It seems to fit your criteria.

It has four fan speeds, works with a remote (extra charge) or from a fancy wall switch (included), and you can reverse the fan direction from the wall or remote. The product had great reviews on Amazon and matched the look we desired. Hope this is helpful.

Fan link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OVY2M2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Remote link:
http://www.amazon.com/Casablanca-99020-Universal-Reversing-Handheld/dp/B0091UAM26/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_y

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:17 pm

I was told from a contractor once that Hunter makes the best fans. I've had two Hunter fans that I installed myself over 8 years ago and they are still working great.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:16 pm

How hard is it for a contractor to install one of these things?

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:19 am

lightheir wrote:How hard is it for a contractor to install one of these things?

If there is a light already there, it is easy for anyone to install one so it for a contractor it is easy money.