AT&T Uverse + Roku

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gunn_show

AT&T Uverse + Roku

Post by gunn_show »

Hi All,

Anyone using this combo? I just switched from Time Warner to Uverse and only got 1 main TV DVR receiver for the living room, we were using a Roku with the Time Warner TV app for the bedroom. It appears AT&T does not have a similar app for Roku type devices, unless I missed it somehow? If so that is a letdown. They have an iPad app which is great, but at a loss for why they wouldn't also port that app over to Roku. Leaves us with a gap for the lady who likes to have TV on while she falls asleep.

Any ideas? I guess perhaps I have to get an Apple TV device so I can use the iPad version of Uverse app on that? (if that works? no idea how Apple TV works). I have Amazon Prime and Netflix logins but it's a bit of a pain to open those and go find TV shows to put on as background noise, vs. just turning on the Time Warner app and watching live TV. Any other ways to get my Uverse TV on the bedroom TV without buying extra gizmos? Or, at least, what is the cheapest gizmo/method to try and accomplish this? Also trying to avoid renting a 2nd DVR box just for the bedroom at night, waste of money. Suppose I could try to call AT&T and complain that they are behind modern times w/o a Roku app and try to get a second box cheap, but long term that is still a pricey alternative.

Thanks.

PS. I switched to Uverse based on a recent BH thread about internet speeds, and AT&T fiber speed is much faster in my neighborhood than Time Warner so far. Also got a cheaper plan than TW, with 2.5x faster internet speed option and more channels...
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
stoutglass

Re: AT&T Uverse + Roku

Post by stoutglass »

I don't have specific knowledge of a uverse app for roku, but I'm assuming you're right and it doesn't exist. My only suggestion would be a slingbox. I don't have any personal experience with them, but as far as I know would allow you to stream tv from your primary tv to your roku on the bedroom tv.

Stout
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

If you do not want to pay monthly rental fee for another box, what about using an antenna to get local channels? AmazonBasics has one for $24. Moho leaf is $25-40 for the models without amplifiers.

Does your uverse subscription come with SHOWTIME? There is a showtime app for roku that you can activate if you have showtime on uverse which would allow you to watch live broadcasts of showtime programs as well as any other showtime content on demand. The downside of using the roku or other streaming box while you sleep is that you're consuming internet bandwidth.
Wiki
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

DSInvestor wrote:The downside of using the roku or other streaming box while you sleep is that you're consuming internet bandwidth.
How is it a downside?

Does Uverse has data plan restriction? Roku and other streaming devices can sleep or be turned off too isnt it?
Topic Author
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

ejvyas wrote:
DSInvestor wrote:The downside of using the roku or other streaming box while you sleep is that you're consuming internet bandwidth.
How is it a downside?

Does Uverse has data plan restriction? Roku and other streaming devices can sleep or be turned off too isnt it?
Thanks for the replies and ideas so far guys. I am going to look into slingbox and the local channels. I guess I should be able to turn on the TV and at least get ABC, CBS, etc.

I do have Showtime and HBO on Uverse so you're right DSI, I will just pop up those apps and turn on random shows. She doesn't watch them she just falls asleep to the noise, and I turn it off when I go to bed. So it is only on a couple hours max a night.

Uverse does have data limits but after speaking with the sales rep (I was also worried about this when I saw it on the account statement, Time Warner never had limits), he said in all his time he had never seen anyone go over it, and notated the account in case I did, to not get charged. I work from home so I sit on bandwidth 10-15 hours a day. I think it was 250GB or something. I'm interested to see my first bill next month and how much I used.

Thx all
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
tj

Post by tj »

You can use your Uvserse login for all of the apps. I have an Amazon Fire Stick and can access WatchESPN, HBO GO, Fox Sports Go etc (because I subscribe to those channels through Uverse TV). I don't know why the same apps would not work on a Roku.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

ejvyas wrote:
How is it a downside?

If the internet service has no data caps, there is no problem. If there are data caps, then using a streaming box to fall asleep to could consume a huge amount of bandwidth if it continues to stream show after show, every night. I've fallen asleep while watching tv shows on hulu or netflix and wake up hours later to find it 10 episodes ahead of what I've seen.

Some services like Pandora have a dead man's switch that will ask you if you're still listening (apparently they have to pay for every song streamed). I haven't seen such a feature in the apps for Netflix, hulu or amazon prime.
Wiki
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We purchased Apple TV's over the past year and the product is really great and very easy to use. I have a relative that also has Roku and it is not comparable.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."