Is 2007 Accord 60K mile service worth $300?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
katnok

Is 2007 Accord 60K mile service worth $300?

Post by katnok »

My 2007 Accord, which has 60K miles, is due for 'B' maintenance. So, I called a few Honda dealerships, and the cheapest quote I received was $300 + Taxes.

Honestly, I do not know if this is worth the money. I have never had regular servicing done anywhere other than at Honda, but do not remember any of them costing this much over 7+ years.

What do you guys think? Should I get it done at Honda for the quoted price or take the car to some other place?
Grt2bOutdoors

Re: Is 2007 Accord 60K mile service worth $300?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

What is included in the 60K mile service? Specifics lead to better responses.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

As a long time Honda owner, my experience is that their "maintenance minder" services are very profitable for them, and expensive for you. Honda gives you a long list of things they're going to do, but when you look a little closer, you'll soon see that you're paying $300 for them to change your oil, change the air filter, rotate your tires, and not much else. A lot of "check this, check that." I really don't use Honda for anything unless it is under warranty or it's something under recall.

P.S. I'm not much for changing the oil myself, since it's so easy to find a place that will do it for $25. But you want to save a decent amount of money? Change your own air filter and, especially, the cabin filter. The latter is something that mechanics (not just the dealers) will hit you up for $100. I bought an air filter and a cabin filter on Amazon for maybe $25 total, and found a bunch of YouTube videos showing me exactly how to do it. It's not hard. My mechanic would have charged me $150 to do both.

I have learned so much on YouTube, not just for cars but for appliance repair.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I only take my old Hondas/Acuras back to the dealer to change the transmission fluid because I do believe the experts who say Honda transmissions prefer Honda brand transmission fluid and don't like fluid flushes. (The old Honda tranny fluid should be drained, refilled, drained again, refilled, drained one final time and then refilled). Everything else can be done just as well by my independent mechanic.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I probably have about a million miles on Hondas dating back about 40 years. Civics, Accords, Preludes and Elements. I've never done anything to them but change the oil unless they needed obvious maintenance (eg tires, brakes, timing belt on schedule, etc).

My goal on each is a trip to the moon (238,000 miles before I trash the car). It gives me a sense of perspective when I look up in the sky. In most cases I have completed my mission, and when I have failed I have come very close.
Topic Author
katnok

Post by katnok »

Here is what they are going to do:

1. Change the engine oil and oil filter
2. Rotate the tires.
3. Inspect the front and rear brakes.
4. Check all fluid levels and conditions.
5. Check brake lines and hoses, cooling system hoses and connections and fuel line hoses.
6. Replace spark plugs.
7. Replace air cleaner element
8. Replace brake fluid
9. Inspect or replace drive belts.
FrankTheTank

Post by FrankTheTank »

To me, the obvious answer to the question would be "no". Dealers nearly never are a good deal. To the OP, however, the answer really depends on how willing/capable you are to do these things on your own. I own an '09 Civic myself and actually just had it come up with the 60k mile service code. Reading through the manual, the only real "actionable" items as part of that "B" code service were changing transmission fluid, oil & filter change, and tire rotation. The rest were simply inspections of various other items. As noted in some of the prior responses, consider doing some of this yourself if that's an option and you have some basic automotive knowledge. Simply jack up the car onto some stands, unscrew the oil and trans fluid bolts. Let them drain. Unscrew the old oil filter. Screw on a new filter. Pop both bolts back in with new crush washers. Add your new fluids. Check for leaks and check your levels. The trans fluid change is rather simple, and I'm fairly certain Honda now just recommends the drain and fill method versus a flush, as stated above (apparently the flush can actually do more harm). The only catch is that to get all of the trans fluid replaced, you have to drain and fill about 3 times, which means you need a lot of transmission fluid. Time-wise, took me maybe an hour to do all of the above, but I'm sure someone with more skills and better equipment than I could probably even do it in less.

My costs:
Honda Genuine Trans fluid ($6-7 a bottle, total $45-50--need I think 8 quarts if you really want to drain and fill 3 times, at least for my Civic (the Accord may differ)--not sure if the dealer would actually do it 3x though. My guess is many would just do drain and fill once and call it a day--if you go with the dealer, I suggest asking how they actually do it).
Crush washers (10 cents?)
Engine oil ($20 or so--could be less if you went conventional, but I used Mobil1 full synthetic I bought on sale at Costco)
Oil filter ($6?--can't remember exactly)

Total: ~$75 + one hour of my time and effort

Guess this means I'm willing to work for $225/hr? (honestly though, I just like doing this kind of stuff, so that's not the point)

p.s. DEFINITELY replace the cabin filter yourself!! As noted previously, this is a MAJOR rip-off at most Honda dealerships. You can access the filters behind the glovebox usually. Literally takes 30 seconds to take the old filter out and pop the new one in. Yet somehow people pay Honda anywhere from $60-100 (if the internet is to be believed) to do this. Crazy.
Bengineer

Post by Bengineer »

No on the dealer, yes on the DIY and if not that, finding a good independent. If you don't have good mechanical skills or good people skills, you're hosed. :happy

Being informed on your service intervals and what that entails will counter the FUD and save you money. When's the timing belt due? How much is that typically? This is not Honda or Accord specific, but the next time you get "your front pads are down to a little over 3mm, want us to go ahead and change them?", you'll know your min is 2mm and that's 6 months of your driving. You'll very likely need rotors as well and so can plan for it. Same with tire wear, etc. - less surprises, more options.

I do my own servicing for the most part, but also have used my independent - it costs a bit more for an oil change, but I like to think I get a fluid levels/belts/hoses/pads/leaks lookover by someone with a good bit of experience with cars exactly like mine. Mine uses top-shelf parts and fluids at prices I can't get them shipped to me for and charges very reasonable labor, given the expertise.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

katnok wrote:Here is what they are going to do:

2. Rotate the tires.
5. Check brake lines and hoses, cooling system hoses and connections and fuel line hoses.
6. Replace spark plugs.
8. Replace brake fluid
Have your engine oil and oil filter replaced and rotate the tires. Grab your manual and check the transmission fluid level, engine oil level, radiator level, windshield washer reservoir, etc. I have never replaced the spark plugs in any of my Honda's. One car has 140k on it and the other 95k miles. I did have a CR-V that I replaced the spark plugs after 150k when it started getting misfire errors on the CPU. The air cleaner probably does need replaced after 60k miles but that is a quick trip to an auto center and is easy to replace. I wouldn't worry about brakes, brake fluids or belts at this point. After 100k, I generally start worrying about brakes on Hondas.
gogleheads.orb

Post by gogleheads.orb »

I never did that with my 2007 Accord.
I get the oil changed at an oil change place and I replaced the spark plugs and had the pads and rotors changed after 100k.
aude

Post by aude »

I work on my own cars generally and enjoy it. I own a Honda. If you do not work on your own cars, or do not enjoy it, and if all of these items are really manufactured-required (not dealer-recommended) at 60,000 miles, then yes, $300 is a good price.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

1. Change the engine oil and oil filter - $30 at Midas conventional, $60 synthetic I think.
2. Rotate the tires. - Free with oil change but you may have to ask them to do it.
3. Inspect the front and rear brakes. - Free with oil change, if they aren't making noise then the odds are you don't need to change them yet
4. Check all fluid levels and conditions. - Free with oil change
5. Check brake lines and hoses, cooling system hoses and connections and fuel line hoses. -Maybe free with oil change
6. Replace spark plugs. Likely doesn't need to be done at 60k. I'd expect $100-$200 for this alone, depends on how much disassembly is needed to get to them.
7. Replace air cleaner element $10 DIY, stupid easy
8. Replace brake fluid - Free inspection with oil change. Does replace mean a full bleed or just suck out whats in the reservoir and replace? If the latter don't bother with it. If the former, $100-$150.
9. Inspect or replace drive belts. - inspection free with oil change, $60-$120 for replacement

I've had good service at my local midas, they've never tried to sell me anything that didn't need to be done. They'll tell you the actual measurements of how much wear your brakes and tires have left. They do honor their lifetime warranty on parts and its easy to do since its all in their computer system, the warranty doesn't cover labor though.
FrankTheTank

Post by FrankTheTank »

2. Rotate the tires.
6. Replace spark plugs.
8. Replace brake fluid

Exactly what code did the OP get on the maintenance minder? According to the manual (http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/inform ... an/manuals), p. 199, 'B' service includes:
Replace engine oil and oil filter
Inspect front and rear brakes
Check parking brake adjustment
Inspect these items:
Tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
Suspension components
Driveshaft boots
Brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
All fluid levels and condition of fluids
Exhaust system
Fuel lines and connections

After the 'B' if there's a "1", a tire rotation is also needed. "2" is for replacing cabin filter. "3" is replace trans fluid. "4" is replace plugs/timing belt. "5" is replace engine coolant. Brake fluid is supposed to be done every 3 years according to the manual. What the dealer is including doesn't match the 'B' code in the manual. According to the manual, the true 'B'-only code just sounds like a glorified oil & filter change and sure as heck shouldn't run $300. So first OP needs to figure out if what the dealer is quoting is something that should actually be done according to the actual maintenance minder code that showed up and the manual. If different, then OP needs to have a chat with dealer and ask for a proper quote of what really needs to be done. Regardless, still stand by my original post that DIY would be my method of choice.
Last edited by FrankTheTank on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fmhealth

Post by fmhealth »

I have an '03 Accord 4 cyl. Just checked my service records. Had a 90,000 service done at an independent, total cost (no oil change) was $220.00. That was 2/14, so your price is pretty close. If you're in AZ. just let me know. The shop I use only specializes in Hondas. High integrity, reasonable prices, only do what's necessary & good people to work with.

Be Well,
fmhealth
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

I use the dealership for scheduled services that are above and beyond oil/filters/tire rotation.j Like someone above wrote, I can change all the air filters (cabin and engine) and I let a local shop where I buy my tires handle rotation and oil changes.

One thing I did do is arrange a permanent 10% discount with the service department in exchange for all service related items. Saves me a fair amount of money on our 2 Hondas over the course of a year. No, I don't think they inflate the bill by 10%.

I am a fan of driving vehicles that have been maintained according to the owners manual.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

$40
2. Rotate the tires.
$10
Free with above
Free with above
Free with above
6. Replace spark plugs.
$100
$25
8. Replace brake fluid
$100
Free with above

These are my estimates from what the dealer typically charges. I might be off on the brake fluid as I've never had it done separate from a full brake job with pad and disc. So $300 sounds about right at the dealer. You can DIY or go to an independent mechanic to save money. If it were my car, I would do 7 on my own and skip 8. Like I said, do it as part of a brake job when you need it. Since everyone brakes differently, maintenance for that should not be based on miles alone. If they're willing to do the rest for $150, then I'd let the dealer do it.
ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

barnaclebob wrote:1. Change the engine oil and oil filter - $30 at Midas conventional, $60 synthetic I think.
2. Rotate the tires. - Free with oil change but you may have to ask them to do it.
3. Inspect the front and rear brakes. - Free with oil change, if they aren't making noise then the odds are you don't need to change them yet
4. Check all fluid levels and conditions. - Free with oil change
5. Check brake lines and hoses, cooling system hoses and connections and fuel line hoses. -Maybe free with oil change
6. Replace spark plugs. Likely doesn't need to be done at 60k. I'd expect $100-$200 for this alone, depends on how much disassembly is needed to get to them.
7. Replace air cleaner element $10 DIY, stupid easy
8. Replace brake fluid - Free inspection with oil change. Does replace mean a full bleed or just suck out whats in the reservoir and replace? If the latter don't bother with it. If the former, $100-$150.
9. Inspect or replace drive belts. - inspection free with oil change, $60-$120 for replacement
Spot on!

Replacing spark plugs is super easy. Get Denso or NGK sparkplugs. Advance Auto Parts has coupon their website. Or do a web search for coupons like $10 off $30, etc. Add your air and cabin filters, your spark plug socket, dielectric grease, etc.
Check YouTube. There's a young lady whose videos show how to change spark plugs, disc brake pads, rotors, fluid changes.
My 2006 Accord LX uses high mileage oil after 75,000 miles. I'm now at 118,000 miles, still runs good. I change front rotors when I change pads, super cheap and stupid easy. Rear drums are still original. At every oil change in the shop (since it's super cheap with coupons so not worth getting dirty for that) the shop will advise based on their free inspection. I've had the drive belt replaced once, at over 100,000 miles.
When I get quotes I look at the labor cost of each task. If it is expensive, I'll check the Honda forums and youtube videos to gauge level of difficulty. Then decide whether the shop should do it or DIY.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

bad78andy wrote:Replacing spark plugs is super easy. Get Denso or NGK sparkplugs. Advance Auto Parts has coupon their website.
I've had two cases now on Hondas where I've replaced the spark plugs with off the shelf equivalents and it has given me cylinder misfire issues until I replaced them with the OEM equivalents. I finally determined it probably had something to do with the warm up time of the spark plug and what the computer setting is programmed to allow so I suggest putting OEM spark plugs back in when replacing them.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Unless your owner's manual states otherwise (or your car has a maintenance minder that throws off a different code):

Change the brake fluid every 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Do a 1-time drain and fill of the transmission fluid at 60,000 miles, and then every 30,000 thereafter.

Only use Honda-branded fluids.
ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

lthenderson wrote:
bad78andy wrote:Replacing spark plugs is super easy. Get Denso or NGK sparkplugs. Advance Auto Parts has coupon their website.
I've had two cases now on Hondas where I've replaced the spark plugs with off the shelf equivalents and it has given me cylinder misfire issues until I replaced them with the OEM equivalents. I finally determined it probably had something to do with the warm up time of the spark plug and what the computer setting is programmed to allow so I suggest putting OEM spark plugs back in when replacing them.
Perhaps because you're in the freezing Mid-North? Honda uses NGK, Denso, Champion as OEM spark plugs. My 2006 Accord OEM were NGK Iridium. My 2006 Civic OEM were Denso Platinum. I replaced like for like. Don't use the store brand like Autolite.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Random Poster wrote:Unless your owner's manual states otherwise (or your car has a maintenance minder that throws off a different code):

Do a 1-time drain and fill of the transmission fluid at 60,000 miles, and then every 30,000 thereafter.

I don't follow the maintenance manual. I do regular oil and filter changes and they change the air filters when needed.

I think I have done the transmission fluid change once - I'd have to check.

They checked the brakes when I got new tires but beyond all that, I sometimes wonder what a prudent maintenance schedule should be. I have this feeling that the maintenance manual is more of a marketing gimic for the dealers to supplement their revenue on the service side. Interestingly I've had six recalls (2008 RAV4) and the dealer hasn't tried to upsell me at any time when I bring it in for the recall. Maybe they are making enough money off recalls that they don't need the other service.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

Random Poster wrote:Unless your owner's manual states otherwise (or your car has a maintenance minder that throws off a different code):

It's a Honda, an Accord. The car can run a long time with proper maintenance. However, you don't have to believe the misconception that you have to use Honda-branded fluids, as long as you keep maintenance on schedule. You need to use fluids that are SAE-equivalent, for the oil, brake fluid, tranny fluid, power steering, etc. It's not a European vehicle that requires very specific fluids. I'm on my second Accord at 118,000 miles. My '92 Accord ran for 160,000 miles before I sold it to a co-worker. Neither required Honda-branded fluids.
coldplay221

Post by coldplay221 »

This. Despite maintenance minders, I found that the brake and transmission fluid needed to be changed at my 65k.

Including the above with an oil change, replacement cabin and air filters and tires rotated - I paid about $350 at a non dealership in the SF Bay area.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

bad78andy wrote:My 2006 Civic OEM were Denso Platinum. I replaced like for like. Don't use the store brand like Autolite.
bad78andy wrote:However, you don't have to believe the misconception that you have to use Honda-branded fluids . . .
I sense a bit of a contradiction in your two posts, but it is your car, so put whatever you want in it.

As for my Honda (2009 CR-V), the owner's manual specifically states (on page 287 and 288 thereof):
Always use Honda Genuine
ATF-Z1 (automatic transmission
fluid).

Use only Honda Genuine ATF-Z1
(Automatic Transmission Fluid). Do
not mix with other transmission fluids.
Using transmission fluid other than
Honda Genuine ATF-Z1 may cause
deterioration in transmission operation
and durability, and could result in
damage to the transmission.
Damage resulting from the use of
transmission fluid other than Honda
Genuine ATF-Z1 is not covered by the
Honda new vehicle warranty.
Accordingly, I'll stick to using only Honda-branded fluid.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

coldplay221 wrote:This. Despite maintenance minders, I found that the brake and transmission fluid needed to be changed at my 65k.
May I ask how it was determined that you needed the fluid changed? Symptoms?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Afty

Post by Afty »

One thing no one has mentioned is to check whether your *owner's manual* recommends/requires the same list of services. Typically if you ask for a "60k mile service" at a dealer, they will add on services that don't need to be done yet. You can find Honda's list of recommended services for a 2007 Accord here:
http://owners.honda.com/service-mainten ... d^CM5677JW

The items on that list under "Maintenance Minder B" are quite different from what you said the dealer wanted to do.
coldplay221

Post by coldplay221 »

livesoft wrote:
coldplay221 wrote:This. Despite maintenance minders, I found that the brake and transmission fluid needed to be changed at my 65k.
May I ask how it was determined that you needed the fluid changed? Symptoms?
This was done on the basis of some online document I found off the Honda website for the 2008 Honda Civic which as Murphy would have it, I cannot quote for reference.

Most forums advocate following the maintenance minder, but the Canada Honda website http://www.honda.ca/owners/honda-servic ... calculator gives more accurate guidance consistent with what Random Poster posted earlier. I'd like to be in the 'better safe than sorry' with my car.
The Maintenance MinderTM does not monitor the engine oil level in your Honda. Maintaining proper engine oil level is critical to preserving engine life and trouble free operation, so ensuring your engine oil is at the right level by checking it regularly is a good habit to form – please see your owner's manual for details. If it has been more than 12 months since your last oil change, Honda requires the engine oil be changed regardless of the % service oil life displayed. Also, Maintenance MinderTM does not monitor brake pad thickness, brake fluid condition or tire tread depth. Ensuring that these critical items are within specification is important for your safety on the road. If your brake fluid is more than 3 years old, Honda requires you have it changed. Determining the condition of any of these items is something your Honda Dealer will be pleased to assist with.

SPECIFIC ADDITIONAL REQUIRED MAINTENANCE
Recommended services whichever comes first km/month
Specific Additional Required Maintenance
48,000 km
Replace automatic transmission fluid (V6 Trucks) and transfer case fluid (4WD Trucks) and every 48,000 km thereafter if vehicle is regularly driven in mountainous areas at very low speeds, or if vehicle is frequently used tow a trailer.
Every 3 years
Replace brake fluid.
Every 256,000 km
Inspect idle speed.
100,000 km
Replace automatic transmission fluid and every 48,000 km thereafter if vehicle is regularly driven in mountainous areas at very low speeds, or if vehicle is frequently used tow a trailer (Accord)
Every 24,000 km
Replace dust and pollen filter if vehicle is regularly driven in urban areas with high concentrations of emissions from industry and diesel-powered vehicles.
Every 24,000 km
Replace rear differential fluid if vehicle is regularly driven in mountainous areas at very low speeds (S2000).
12,000 km
Replace rear differential fluid and every 24,000 km thereafter if vehicle is regularly driven in mountainous areas at very low speeds, or if vehicle is frequently used tow a trailer (4WD Trucks).
ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

Random Poster wrote:
bad78andy wrote:My 2006 Civic OEM were Denso Platinum. I replaced like for like. Don't use the store brand like Autolite.
bad78andy wrote:However, you don't have to believe the misconception that you have to use Honda-branded fluids . . .
I sense a bit of a contradiction in your two posts, but it is your car, so put whatever you want in it.

As for my Honda (2009 CR-V), the owner's manual specifically states (on page 287 and 288 thereof):
Always use Honda Genuine
ATF-Z1 (automatic transmission
fluid).

Use only Honda Genuine ATF-Z1
(Automatic Transmission Fluid). Do
not mix with other transmission fluids.
Using transmission fluid other than
Honda Genuine ATF-Z1 may cause
deterioration in transmission operation
and durability, and could result in
damage to the transmission.
Damage resulting from the use of
transmission fluid other than Honda
Genuine ATF-Z1 is not covered by the
Honda new vehicle warranty.
Accordingly, I'll stick to using only Honda-branded fluid.
How is that a contradiction? One relates to spark plugs, the other regarding fluids. Two separate types of maintenance actions. There are noticeable issues using non-OEM spark plugs. There aren't issues using ATF equivalents.

You are right regarding Honda ATF-Z1, but that is legalese for your new vehicle warranty. Once your warranty is over, do you do have to use ATF-Z1? Also note, ATF-DW1 is the semi-synthetic, backward-compatible replacement. I suggest you check out Honda forums where the Honda die-hards exist to see what they recommend or oil forums (e.g http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... /1631140/1). Many auto shops don't carry Z1, they'll replace with Castrol Import, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, or Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF (I have this in my 2006 Accord). If you take your car to a dealer, chain, or independent repair shop, ask which ATF they'll use. More important than oil type is that the shop uses the 3x drain+fill method, not the suction method.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

bad78andy wrote:How is that a contradiction? One relates to spark plugs, the other regarding fluids.
Because if you wish to replace "like for like," wouldn't you do so regardless of what the item that you are replacing is?

If the car came with a certain brand of spark plugs, you replace that plug with the same brand of plug. Similarly, if the car came with a certain type of transmission fluid, why not replace the fluid with the same type?
bad78andy wrote:Once your warranty is over, do you do have to use ATF-Z1?
Have to? Perhaps not.

Should? I think so.
bad78andy wrote:I suggest you check out Honda forums where the Honda die-hards exist to see what they recommend or oil forums.
Although I may listen to and read what various "die-hards" my speak or write, whether on a Honda forum or on an investment forum, ultimately I am responsible for my own car (and my own investments). Until the time comes when a "die-hard" poster is willing to be personally responsible for any loss or damage that I may suffer or incur as a consquence of following their recommendations or advice, I'll continue to do what I think is best. In the case of my Honda, that means that I will follow the owner's manual and its directives.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I don't know anything about Hondas but I don't understand the 3x flush/fill thing. It seems extremely inefficient and environmentally unfriendly. Shouldn't the pans and converters both have plugs, which would seem likely to allow a high percentage of the old fluid out?
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Or one can simply drain and fill their ATF at every oil change from 50-60k miles +/- and achieve a similar outcome. Some simply do it at every 2nd or 3rd oil change in perpetuity.

Regarding Honda fluids - they work, but you'll pay for them. They aren't magical. Find a good, recommended fluid replacement and you won't have any issues. Those online oil and auto nerds come in handy when you want to save $.
Toons

Post by Toons »

300?I would get it done and move on. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
tj

Post by tj »

i'm surprised so many people don't use the dealers for maintenance. My sister has an '06 Civic which doesn't have the maintenance minder. I guess they tell her often to bring it in. My '11 Civic has the maintenance minder and I just follow it - it's so easy.

The most expensive thing I've had done is the ~$400 rear brake pad replacements every 25k miles or so which is frustrating. Not sure if that's my driving abilities or typical.

The next priciest thing was probably replacing two malfunctioning TPMS sensors seperately.

Everything else been oil changes, filters, tire rotations, etc. I'm at 52k miles or so.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I have driven Toyotas for past 30 years. I take my cars to dealer for simple maintenance like oil change (they are competitive with others on this) or if I have a suspected problem. The reason I do that is they will check my car for other issues and let me know of any recommended maintenance or repair items. I never pay for periodic mileage checkups (they sometimes ask but I always say no). The only things I pay for are actual maintenance and repair work.

I have used same dealer for service for 30 years. They never suggest unnecessary repairs. In fact, there have been times I suggested something be done and they said it was not necessary at this time.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

So, if you do it yourself, how do you turn the maintenance indicator off? (The "B", in this case.). Or do you just ignore it, and tell the dealer to ignore it if you want to use the dealer for some work?
ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

tj wrote:i'm surprised so many people don't use the dealers for maintenance. My sister has an '06 Civic which doesn't have the maintenance minder. I guess they tell her often to bring it in. My '11 Civic has the maintenance minder and I just follow it - it's so easy.

The most expensive thing I've had done is the ~$400 rear brake pad replacements every 25k miles or so which is frustrating. Not sure if that's my driving abilities or typical.
My wife's 2006 Civic LX has the maintenance minder. I believe it was standard in all models, unless your sisters' CIvic is a DX. Do you have rear disc brakes? $400 every 25k miles is insane. You can replace pads and rotors (super cheap) yourself. Advance Auto Parts will let you borrow tools with a fully refundable $125 deposit. Or you can use a C-clamp and an old brake pad to push the caliper piston. YouTube videos are your friend! :sharebeer
tadamsmar wrote:So, if you do it yourself, how do you turn the maintenance indicator off? (The "B", in this case.). Or do you just ignore it, and tell the dealer to ignore it if you want to use the dealer for some work?
Your car's user manual details how to reset the maintenance minder. Only do this after all the required work has been done.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

tj wrote:i'm surprised so many people don't use the dealers for maintenance. My sister has an '06 Civic which doesn't have the maintenance minder. I guess they tell her often to bring it in. My '11 Civic has the maintenance minder and I just follow it - it's so easy.

The next priciest thing was probably replacing two malfunctioning TPMS sensors seperately.

Everything else been oil changes, filters, tire rotations, etc. I'm at 52k miles or so.
You answered it for me - that is exactly why I won't go to a dealer and do 90% of maintenance and repairs myself. Its not hard - I basically learned from message boards and repair manuals. Bought the cheapest WalMart and Harbor Freight tools, too. No sense in spending $1k in tools for a $300 job.
Disc brake jobs are quite easy. You can throw on new rotors and pads front and rear for 1/2 of what the dealer charged you for rear pads only.
tj

Post by tj »

My wife's 2006 Civic LX has the maintenance minder. I believe it was standard in all models, unless your sisters' CIvic is a DX. Do you have rear disc brakes? $400 every 25k miles is insane. You can replace pads and rotors (super cheap) yourself. Advance Auto Parts will let you borrow tools with a fully refundable $125 deposit. Or you can use a C-clamp and an old brake pad to push the caliper piston. YouTube videos are your friend! :sharebeer
The rear brakes are drums on all LX models as far as I know. The front brakes are discs which have not needed replacement. Also, looking at the dealer's website current specials, it might have been $200 each for those jobs. I can't remember.

I wonder if my sister's Civic might be an '05 ?
ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

tj wrote:
The rear brakes are drums on all LX models as far as I know. The front brakes are discs which have not needed replacement.
That is weird. Both my cars still have original rear drums on them. 06 Civic LX is at 80k, 06 Accord LX is at 118k. My brother's 08 Civic LX is also on original rear drums. I've replaced front pads and rotors on each twice. I expect front brakes to wear out faster than rear brakes in a front-wheel drive vehicle.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

bad78andy wrote:
tj wrote:
The rear brakes are drums on all LX models as far as I know. The front brakes are discs which have not needed replacement.
That is weird. Both my cars still have original rear drums on them. 06 Civic LX is at 80k, 06 Accord LX is at 118k. My brother's 08 Civic LX is also on original rear drums. I've replaced front pads and rotors on each twice. I expect front brakes to wear out faster than rear brakes in a front-wheel drive vehicle.
The rear discs are on his (poster: tj) 2011 civic, not his sister's '06

All my vehicles have had rear drums and I've never touched them. They've lasted the life of the car each time.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

You can probably get the same thing done for less than half that from an independent shop.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

bad78andy wrote: I expect front brakes to wear out faster than rear brakes in a front-wheel drive vehicle.
Front brakes see a higher load on most vehicles due to the weight being shifted forward during braking. But front brakes are usually larger and stronger so I guess if the engineers did their jobs right the front and rear should wear at the same rate under normal driving conditions. But its possible the engineers don't want both your front and rear brakes going bad at the same time and therefore size them to wear at different rates...

FWD vs RWD shouldn't have any impact on which brakes wear faster unless you are doing a lot of brake stand burnouts or something dumb like that.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

tj wrote:i'm surprised so many people don't use the dealers for maintenance.
Holy! That's why people don't go to the dealer! Front brake pads cost about $50 a pair and should wear out faster than rear brakes due to weight shifting to the front during braking. I've done front brakes on a new-gen Civic and on a Galant (rotors too) and it was a breeze (aside from getting the rotors off). I've done rear drums on a late '90s Civic and it took some finagling with the springs but wasn't too bad. There's no way it should cost $400 and there's no way they should be wearing out at 25k

My Accord is at 50K with 3-4mm left on the original pads.

By the way, oil changes on newer cars are way more expensive ($60 or so) because they require expensive synthetic 0w20 oil. Sure, if you lease you can get cheaper oil, but I plan to own for years to come.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news ... /index.htm

For the record, my "B" service cost $160 at a local mechanic - oil change, ATF change, inspection.
tj

Post by tj »

Hmm, my memory is just all messed up. Maybe it's the fronts that have been replaced, I could have sworn it said rear on the invoices though.
maroon

Post by maroon »

My Forester is coming up on 60K miles and my Subaru dealership says the service is $600. So $300 sure sounds like a deal to me! (Anchoring, I know.)

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that using the dealership for service/repairs might be beneficial later on. My dealership has performed several "goodwill" repairs for me at no charge: rattle fixes and a sunroof repair (which would have been $900+). And they even provided a loaner car for me to use while they repaired my car for free!

Anyway, OP, if you're not a D-I-Y car guy (or gal), and your time is valuable, just spend the $300 at the dealership and get the service done. Then you can move on to other things...
wander

Post by wander »

2. Rotate the tires.
6. Replace spark plugs.
8. Replace brake fluid
If you don't know anything about car, you can bring this list to a trusted mechanic and ask him to do it for less. I am not an expert about car, but I can do this stuffs easily. One thing about the spark plugs, if the car runs fine then just leave them alone. If you replace them, make sure to torque them correctly with manufacture specs.
tj

Post by tj »

I have now found my 11 Civic LX maintenance history. The brake pads were indeed fronts rather than rears. I've gone to various dealers depending on where I was living/working. I have only taken it in when the maintenance minder turns on. I am curious how much I would save going to an independent mechanic, but I have no interest in doing my own auto maintenance. At one point I bought new tires at Just Tires and they do free tire rotations so I stopped having that service done at the dealer. I also asked the Just Tires mechanic if I should get my oil changes done at Just Tires, he told me to take it to Honda and that my car would last longer.

Purchased (new) in Dec 2010

June 2011 - 5k miles - oil change & tire rotation - $71.55
Feb 2012 - 11k miles - 'minor service interval' (looks like oil change, tire rotation & a whole bunch of inspections) - $111.48
Jan 2013 - 17k miles - oil change & tire rotation- $61.48
September 2013 - 22k miles - oil change - $51.59
September 2013 - 22k miles - engine filter $59.95
September 2013 - 22k miles - cabin filter $59.95
September 2013 - 22k miles - replace front brake pads, resurface rotors - $239.95
April 2014- 29k miles - oil change - $33.66
July 2014 - 36k miles - oil change & tire rotations $61.52
Aug 2014 - 38k miles - replace left front TPMS sensor- $171.46
Sept 2014- 40k miles- replace right front TPMS sensor - $186.92
Sept 2014 - 42k miles - replace air filter and cabin air filter - $114.21
Sept 2014 - 42k miles - oil change & tire rotation - $61.49
Sept 2014- 42k - replace front brake pads and resurface rotors - $239
Sept 2014 - 42k miles - leaking left axle seal ,replaced left axle seal - DRIVETRAIN WARRANTY
Sept 2014 - 43k miles - grinding noise, replaced front wheel bearings - DRIVETRAIN WARRANTY
Jan 2015 -50k miles - oil change, $39.95
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

tj wrote:I have now found my 11 Civic LX maintenance history....
Something is wrong with your brake system unless you do a lot of stop-and-go driving, or if you hit the brakes very hard every time that you need to stop, or if you drive (unknowingly?) with your foot on the brake pedal. Aside from those reasons, I can't think of why you would need to replace the front brake pads at 22K and again at 42K miles---unless, I suppose, you are doing super-preventative maintenance or the dealer is taking advantage of you.

If, in fact, you take the car in only when the maintenance minder says to do so, then I'm guessing by the oil change interval that you do a lot of short trip city driving--which might explain the brake wear issue, but still...

For point of reference, my 2009 CR-V routinely goes 9,000-11,000 miles (90% are highway) before triggering the need for an oil change.
tj

Post by tj »

Random Poster wrote:
tj wrote:I have now found my 11 Civic LX maintenance history....
Something is wrong with your brake system unless you do a lot of stop-and-go driving, or if you hit the brakes very hard every time that you need to stop, or if you drive (unknowingly?) with your foot on the brake pedal. Aside from those reasons, I can't think of why you would need to replace the front brake pads at 22K and again at 42K miles---unless, I suppose, you are doing super-preventative maintenance or the dealer is taking advantage of you.

If, in fact, you take the car in only when the maintenance minder says to do so, then I'm guessing by the oil change interval that you do a lot of short trip city driving--which might explain the brake wear issue, but still...

For point of reference, my 2009 CR-V routinely goes 9,000-11,000 miles (90% are highway) before triggering the need for an oil change.
I had a 100 mile round trip freeway commute from March 2014-March 2015, but other than that, the rest of the time I have lived within 3-10 miles of work where it almost always stop and go in the suburbs.

At first, I did wonder if this dealer was taking advantage of me (or if the prior one billed it but didn't do the work), because it had only been a year since I had that same work done, but then I saw that I had already put another 20k miles on it, and the two dealers were completely different and had no knowledge of the previous dealer's work....so I don't know.
ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge »

tj wrote:I have now found my 11 Civic LX maintenance history.
September 2013 - 22k miles - engine filter $59.95
September 2013 - 22k miles - cabin filter $59.95
When we had a car, it was a model comparable to yours. The primary air filter was $11.99 at AutoZone and the cabin filter was $6.99 on Amazon. It took five minutes to replace the former; fewer than ten for the latter. PLEASE do not give a stealership money for something like that...
Polymath.