Battery or Gas Lawn Mower

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Battery or Gas Lawn Mower

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:28 am

I'm considering either getting a cheap gas powered mower for about $170 or getting a battery powered one like - http://www.amazon.com/GreenWorks-25302- ... lawn+mower

My lawn will take me under 30 minutes to mow, so I think the battery ones will have enough juice. Does anyone have experience with them? What would you go with?

livesoft

Re: Battery or Gas Lawn Mower

Post by livesoft » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:30 am

Here is a related thread: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=18987
I would go with gas.

I thought you killed your grass and put in beds of mulch?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

timboktoo

Post by timboktoo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:42 am

I'd go with a gas-powered, self-propelled mulching mower with a Honda engine. And make sure you put it in a garage or build one of those little plastic sheds for it.

- Tim

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:45 am

livesoft wrote:Here is a related thread: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=18987
I would go with gas.

I thought you killed your grass and put in beds of mulch?

Thanks for the link. Some good info, although it's from 2008 and the replies are more about corded electric mowers and not battery powered ones.

The plan is still to do a big mulch island. But I talked to a local nursery and they recommended waiting until the fall because the summer heat can take out pretty much everything including trees. Also, I'll still have grass to mow after I add the island.

FuzzyButtons

Post by FuzzyButtons » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:12 am

I bought a Kobalt 40-Volt Lithium Ion Mower last spring and used it all last year. My yard takes about 75 minutes to mow.

On the upside, it gets rid of the three things I always hated about mowing: noise, vibration, and smell of gasoline. Sounds more like a model helicopter than a lawn mower. It also does just as good of a job mulching as my old mower did.

On the downside, even with both the 4.0 amp and 2.0 amp batteries at full charge, I can often only get halfway through my yard. So I would mow twice as often, doing half each time. I found the run time was heavily influenced by how long the grass was. If I mowed regularly, I could almost get the whole yard. But if it had been a couple of weeks I would sometimes run out before completing the 3/5 yard that I need to cover to reach my driveway, which is the natural stopping point if I want to split my yard in half.

End result - I love it and wouldn't go back to a gas mower for anything. I'll pick up another 4.0 amp battery at some point, and I think I'll be able to do the whole yard with that, provided I do it on a regular basis.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:15 am

I'd say it largely depends not on how much area you are mowing, but on how thick the grass is where you are mowing.

When I was in Austin, the electric mower was great because the grass grew quite slowly and it was quiet enough that I didn't feel bad mowing in the early morning during the hottest part of the summer. When we moved to KY I had to mow every 4 days in the spring but first had to wait for the grass to dry completely, it was crazy.

We are in central AR now and just upgraded to the new style with the replaceable Li-ion batteries. We went with the EGO and I like it. It mulches really really well. I don't know if gas mowers are better at handling twigs, but I do have to carefully clear out twigs even a few mm in diameter. Luckily my son likes to collect sticks.

I still expect to mow fairly frequently - whichever day of the week it isn't raining probably.

slbnoob

Post by slbnoob » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:21 am

I had also posted a similar query elsewhere on this forum. I went with the B&D 36V self propelled mower. I have about 5000 sq ft of St. Augustine's grass to mow and it does fine. It gets into difficulty when it encounters longer, wet grass but that's not a deal breaker.

If I had to change mine (I hope not anytime soon), I would go for atleast a 40V Li-ion one. Now that even 80V ones are on the market, the rest should get cheaper. On a deal website, there was a recent deal for a 56V one if I remember correctly. I don't deal with gas with any of my lawn equipment. Someday, I hope to not, even with my car.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:24 am

We've had a Black & Decker 36V battery model for a few years. I really like it. The GreenWorks model you linked looks nice too. If you have a small enough lawn, I highly recommend one. No worrying about gas. Push-button starting. Just keep the battery plugged in in the garage, and you're always ready to go. And if you have a slightly larger lawn, you can buy spare batteries or mow it over two days.

There are moderate numbers of complaints about all the electric models, so you're mileage may vary. I haven't updated my research in the several years since we bought ours. And I bought mine locally--violating my general policy of buying everything on Amazon--so that I wouldn't have to deal with a non-returnable broken item, as a fair number of the Amazon complaints on our model were due to mowers broken on delivery.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:26 am

I'd only consider electric for a 15 min or less yard, but I've never used an electric so maybe they are better than I think. If the yard is flat or you are in decent shape don't get a self propelled gas. Even if your not in shape its still a good idea because its a better workout.

My Snapper hi-vac walk behind (not self propelled) has given me 5 years of great service. Always starts on the 1st or second pull and gets about 25 hours of use per season. The only maintenance thus far has been 2 oil changes but I need to check on the air filter. I let the grass get moderately tall between mowings.

You'd get some better recommendations if you could describe your yard better, or how long you let it get between mowings.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks for the replies. My yard takes me about 30 minutes to mow. It's thin in most spots but pretty thick for about a third of it. I'm also planning on getting a battery string trimmer and blower too (takes another 20 or so minutes) so ideally the batteries would have enough juice to do everything.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:41 am

I have a GreenWorks battery-powered mower, though it's lead-acid, not lithium-ion, and it looks like those are being phased out. Just under two years old. I had a bit of shipping damage that made it tough to start the first time, but I figured it out (bent component in the starter assembly) and it's worked basically flawlessly. The company sent me a free battery while I was troubleshooting the issue, which I guess is fortunate now that the battery is obsolete.

Not sure what the rated capacity of my battery versus the lithium batteries is, but I can very easily do my small SoCal yard (~6000 sf lot) on a charge. Takes 20 minutes or so. Could actually do it twice. Performance is fine.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:43 am

My county government had a trade in program where they would take your gas mower (working or not) and sell you a $400 black and decker 36V mower for $99.

You might look around to see if there are any similar programs in your area.

The electric mower works well and I like that it's quiet. I have a corded blower and line trimmer - making those cordless as well would be beneficial but the yard is so small it's not worth the cost to switch over.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:56 am

I may go with this for a string trimmer and blower - http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-LCC3 ... ng+trimmer

and the greenworks mower. I think that'll give me enough power for everything without having to recharge.
tyrion wrote:My county government had a trade in program where they would take your gas mower (working or not) and sell you a $400 black and decker 36V mower for $99.

You might look around to see if there are any similar programs in your area.
That would be awesome. I'll ask but am guessing my county doesn't do that (they don't even pick up recycling).

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:42 am

The GreenWorks mower just dropped $63 down to $287, so I just jumped on it. Also got the B&D string trimmer and blower.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:53 am

I never saw the need for an electric mower. I live on a .45 acre lot, lawn might be 3600 sqft. I use a Toro mulching self-propelled mower which has a Briggs & Stratton engine. It is housed in our garage. It does not make much noise, and I do not smell any gasoline, must have perfect combustion to H2O and CO2. That mower by now is probably 15 years old, I run it mostly at full speed. I sharpen blades, change oil, do spark plug, grease once a year. It is powerful enough to climb a little incline, mow leaves, no problems. It does not cut electric cords, ha! Now its time again to do maintenance on the mower and the snow blower, also not electric.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:03 pm

Is an electric mower (with a cord) not practical? We have a small yard, front and back, and when our last gas mower dies, we got an electric one (with a cord) - much better, overall.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:52 pm

For under 30 minutes. This is perfect:

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Staysharp ... +staysharp

My lawn takes about 45 minutes and I use this mower. Fun and the savings on gas/oil/electricity is pretty good.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:25 pm

dm200 wrote:Is an electric mower (with a cord) not practical? We have a small yard, front and back, and when our last gas mower dies, we got an electric one (with a cord) - much better, overall.
I think dealing with a cord would be a pain with the layout and things around my yard.
bloom2708 wrote:For under 30 minutes. This is perfect:

My lawn takes about 45 minutes and I use this mower. Fun and the savings on gas/oil/electricity is pretty good.
I think it's a great option for flat yards. But I tried a reel mower before and it didn't work that well due to all of the bumps and hills in my yard

etarini

Post by etarini » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:33 pm

I've been using electric mowers (corded ones, without batteries) for over 15 years. I have several fairly steep sections of my lawn in back and front, and having a battery-less mower makes it easy to push uphill. It's WAY lighter than either a gas mower or an electric with batteries, and it never runs out of a charge). I've heard people say, "But you have to be careful not to run over the cord," to which I can only say, um, yes, you should probably try to avoid that, though I've never even come close to doing it. And you don't have to fuss with running out of gas, changing oil, tuning it, etc. Just plug it in and go. It's also cheaper than just about anything you can buy.

It seems like the manufacturers are pushing the (heavier) battery models, which still don't have enough juice for many large lawns, and they're eliminating some of the better battery-less ones (like the Black and Decker model with the flip-over handle that made going back and forth fast and easy). Right now I have the Kobalt 21" model from Home Depot. If you have rocks that grow in your yard and pop up now and then, like I do, you might want to pick up an extra blade when you get the mower.

Eric

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:16 pm

I have a self-propelled gas and an older electric (bought it used from a friend)
The electric works fine, but does not cut as wide a path, so you make more passes
and of course you have to push it. I also have the blade sharpened or replaced
at the beginning of the season.

I can do the whole yard in about 30 minutes, and still have about 1/4 charge left.
I mow about every 2 weeks during the summer. If you let the grass get too long, the
electric can't handle it.

segfault

Post by segfault » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:30 pm

I'm about to make a similar decision. Although they are more environmentally friendly, the disadvantage I see to the lithium ion battery powered mowers is that the battery is a consumable item and rather expensive to replace. They are expensive compared to a basic ($150) gas push mower and some of them don't cut as wide of a path. I dislike the vibration of a gas push mower, but will probably go with that over a more expensive battery powered one.

That said, I have a lithium ion battery powered string trimmer and love it.

verbose

Post by verbose » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:45 pm

I have a B&D 36V battery-powered mower that I purchased last year. Before that, I'd been using a corded electric mower. I live in a community with small yards that prohibits homeowners from using gas-powered lawn equipment. I'm very happy with the battery-powered mower. With the corded mower, the time spent managing the cord easily doubled the mowing time. The mower did have a bit of trouble with very high, wet grass (which occurred because the time when it wasn't raining and the time I was home did not coincide for a few weeks), but it wasn't insurmountable. I like the battery-powered much better than the gas-powered push mower I had years ago (previous home). I often had trouble starting the gas mower because I'm not very strong. The battery-powered mower starts as easily as flipping a light switch. It's still loud, but quieter than a gas mower.

I also have a battery-powered B&D string trimmer. I was worried that it wouldn't have enough power or battery life to get the job done, but it's been fine. My small yard is very easy to trim and doesn't have any thick weedy areas. For those, a gas-powered string trimmer is probably best (except, again, if you aren't strong enough to start it, which I'm not).

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:41 pm

I've used the green works mower a couple times now and am quite impressed. It's nice that it's so simple to start, quiet and light weight. It's much easier to manuver than my toro self propelled. There's also plenty of charge for my yard.

I also really like black and decker sweeper and string trimmer. They arent high end but get the job done and are also lightweight and super easy to use. It's the first sweeper I've owned and it makes me think I should have bought one long ago.

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:06 pm

For me it isn't the size of the yard but the roughness of the terrain. I have had a black&decker battery powered mower for maybe 3 years and it is falling apart, I think because the many roots and dips are too much for it. The mower is heavy but not rugged, a bad combination for me.

If you have a smooth lawn the electrics are great.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:27 pm

I got the EGO from Home Depot last fall after I moved across the country. It's pricey so it took me awhile to buy it. In the meantime, my grass was growing a lot.

I brought it home, charged the battery for less than an hour and mowed the grass which was not only 6" to 18" high...it was also wet. I had not expected much because of the long and wet nature of the grass, but the mower exceeded my expectations - it just mulched it all and hardly complained at all. A few days later I cleaned up the wonky parts (uneven cutting because it was wet) and the grass looked pretty good for the nature of the grass I have.

I've used gas mowers all my adult live and had not realized how much I dreaded it. Cutting the grass was an event to prepare for. Even in the middle of the summer, after the initial start up mess that happens in the spring, there's adding the gas, putting in the ear plugs, pulling the cord, hoping it starts, and on and on and on. This was starting to wear on this old lady and I guess that's why I got to wondering about the battery mowers after I left the gas mower behind at my old house.

A couple of days ago, I had about about hour between rainstorms and I ran out and put on the battery and pushed a button and was finished cutting the again wet grass in about 20 minutes. It was such a relief not to have to to through that springtime ritual with a gas mower. I literally rolled it out of the shed and pushed a button and was going. The spring ritual took about 120 seconds.

It was pricey, but I'm glad I bought it. It sounds like a big fan. I don't need ear plugs at all. And it does not vibrate a lot. I'm not exhausted when I finish. I do have to admit that my yard is considerably smaller than the one I had before, but the lack of fiddling, noise, and vibration is refreshing.

virgingorda

Post by virgingorda » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:31 pm

We got a Black&Decker rechargeable a couple of years ago and are generally happy with it. We have had gas mowers that after a while are unreliable when it comes to starting. So far we are happy with the rechargeable.. The only things I like better about our old gas mower is the blade radius was larger and it was lighter. With a smaller radius you have to go around more times. But all in all, for the small size of our lawn, the rechargeable works very well and we are happy we got it.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:41 pm

I have a this, and hate it. If you miss a few days and it gets too long, you're hosed...it can't cut taller grass. So if it's your only mower, good luck. Practically have to run with it to make it cut, and the handlebars keep shaking loose. Really wanted to like it. Going with a corded electric mower. I'm waiting for battery to get better/longer.

mntrailrun

Post by mntrailrun » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Gas is great. Most people have problems with them because they don't understand how to winterize. 1. Run it dry of gas. 2. Pull the spark plug and put in a tsp of engine oil. 3. Pull the recoil a couple times last time stopping when feeling full tension, leaving engine sealed. 4. Wd40 all moving parts and store dry. This takes aboit 5 min. I live in mn have my granddad's snowblower and even though he's been gone for 15 years the thing still starts up first pull every winter.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:30 am

ThankYouJack wrote:I'm considering either getting a cheap gas powered mower for about $170 or getting a battery powered one like - http://www.amazon.com/GreenWorks-25302- ... lawn+mower

My lawn will take me under 30 minutes to mow, so I think the battery ones will have enough juice. Does anyone have experience with them? What would you go with?
We bought that exact mower 2 years ago. We are very happy with it (note that we are not fussy about our lawn). We previously had a 21 or 22 inch self-propelled gas mower, that battery one is so light it is easier and faster than the the gas mower was. My wife loves cutting the grass with the battery powered mower, in the 18 years we had it, she never touched the gas mower.

Our lawn takes about 50-60 minutes, but due some problems with the original mower shipment we ended up with an extra battery (the larger capacity one). We get ours done using 2 of the larger capacity batteries. They claim up to 70 minutes for the two batteries it comes with, but for our lawn I'd say those would give more like 45 minutes (30 min. for the larger capacity one and 15 for the smaller).

If the grass gets too long, we put it on the highest setting. It tends not to cut real evenly at that setting (which was also the case with our gas powered toro). We then just cut it again at our normal (second highest) setting a couple days later.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:35 am

boroc7 wrote:

I have a this, and hate it. If you miss a few days and it gets too long, you're hosed...it can't cut taller grass. So if it's your only mower, good luck. Practically have to run with it to make it cut, and the handlebars keep shaking loose. Really wanted to like it. Going with a corded electric mower. I'm waiting for battery to get better/longer.
I guess it depends on how short you cut the grass. I cut my grass to 3". So it is on a higher setting. I'm not sure what can shake lose on the handle. The nut/bolts are not tight? Or do you not have the cotter pins holding the handle on?

I know if you try to mow really short with the Fiskars it does get hard to push. But 3" or higher is best for your lawn. No product works for everyone.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:46 am

ThankYouJack wrote:The GreenWorks mower just dropped $63 down to $287, so I just jumped on it. Also got the B&D string trimmer and blower.
Great deal!

I paid $400 and my thinking was even if it lasted just 4 years it'd be worth it. I figured it'd save about $100 in gas, oil, spark plugs, and air filters in that time and it is worth at least $75 per year to be able to mow the grass with a quiet, clean electric mower instead of a loud, stinky gas one.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:54 am

I bought a battery lawn mover and loved it. No fuss, no mess, no gas cans, lower noise level. It was a push mower which started to get to be a bit tiring for a retiree in the summer heat.

About 2 or 3 years later the handle broke off and it would have been too much trouble to get it to its service repair shop. It wasn't cheap and the batteries lasted a little more than a year. I bought a gas mover to replace it.

So, I'd look at consumer reports and find a battery mower with a good rating and one that has a reasonable close authorized repair facility.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:16 pm

Looking forward to them finally getting a decent robot lawnmower. Just read about irobot and the controversy over the proposed frequency the mower would use, as it could potentially interfere with radio telescopes.
Previously these types would require burying wire etc, a huge hassle. This one will just require putting in some moveable stakes. Hopefully it won't cost 1800 bucks.
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... be-on.aspx
Mike

tc101

Post by tc101 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:22 pm

Over time, even with ear plugs, a gas mower can effect your hearing. Go with electric.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.