Family tent recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Family tent recommendations

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

I have a 3 man tent but it would tight for myself, wife and 2 year old. So I'm planning to get something bigger that will be more enjoyable (maybe "8" person or so)

What would you recommend? what features should I look for? I'd like to be able to quickly set it up myself. My wife doesn't like bugs so something with a big screened in room would be nice.
For price I'm thinking between $100 and $250 but could spend more of it makes a big difference.
Last edited by ThankYouJack on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DSInvestor

Re: Family tent recommendations

Post by DSInvestor » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:45 pm

I spent a couple of months camping in WA, MT, WY, UT, CO, CA with my wife and our 65lb dog using an REI Half Dome 2 Plus tent. The Plus version is a little longer than the regular version. One person can set it up and break down in minutes. We had some rainy weather in Montana and we set up a tarp over the camp table for shelter. We didn't have any problems with bugs in those states. If camping in Florida or Louisiana, mosquitos would be a concern.

We also use hammocks if the weather is nice. We have EMO hammocks and EMO atlas straps which setup to trees in minutes.

If you have an REI store in your area, stop by for a visit. They know their stuff and have an excellent return policy if you don't like what you bought. If you're close to Seattle, you can visit their flagship store downtown and go into the basement to see if they have any items there for steep discount. That's their garage sale area for things that have been returned. We found our Half Dome 2 Plus tent there for under $130 down from the regular $219.

REI Half Dome 2 Plus:
http://www.rei.com/search.html?ir=q%3Ah ... +dome+plus

edit: this is not an 8 person tent. it is probably comparable to the tent that you already have.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:51 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:I have a 3 man tent but it would tight for myself, wife and 2 year. So I'm planning to get something bigger that will be more enjoyable (maybe "8" person or so)

What would you recommend? what features should I look for? I'd like to be able to quickly set it up myself. My wife doesn't like bugs so something with a big screened in room would be nice.
For price I'm thinking between $100 and $250 but could spend more of it makes a big difference.
Hands down. The Coleman 8 person instant tent. Goes up and down very quickly and just one person can handle it unless it's windy. Tent holds up to heavy rain as well. Went camping one weekend and we got caught in a late night rain storm. Around 2 inches of water was flowing around us but none made it into the tent. I was really surprised.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C37 ... Q7YPYZRAQX

Cosmo

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:40 pm

Thanks for the replies. I do have an REI around so may swing in there.

That Coleman looks like a great option especially for the ease of setup. I'll probably go with that, but may also consider something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-Klondike-1 ... amily+tent

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:28 pm

Are you car camping or backpacking? Makes a huge difference in terms of how big of a tent you can accommodate and how much you need to spend.

If you are car camping then one of the big Coleman tents will serve just fine, like one of these: http://www.costco.com/Coleman%C2%AE-Sun ... 18722.html but something like that Coleman isn't going to be particularly light if you are going to be backpacking distances. REI will have much more expensive tents with all kinds of mountaineering features that aren't really necessary for car camping and just add to the cost. You'll pay 3-4 times more.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:19 pm

texasdiver wrote:Are you car camping or backpacking? Makes a huge difference in terms of how big of a tent you can accommodate and how much you need to spend.

If you are car camping then one of the big Coleman tents will serve just fine, like one of these: http://www.costco.com/Coleman%C2%AE-Sun ... 18722.html but something like that Coleman isn't going to be particularly light if you are going to be backpacking distances. REI will have much more expensive tents with all kinds of mountaineering features that aren't really necessary for car camping and just add to the cost. You'll pay 3-4 times more.

We'll be car camping. Another option I'm considering is something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-Vacation-1 ... enzel+tent

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Youtube has some video reviews of the instant tents which show you how they are set up. You will see coleman and ozark trail. Not sure about the wenzel.
Wiki

camper

Post by camper » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:07 am

We bought the Coleman cosmo linked. It is a marriage saver. Goes up in less than 2 minutes.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:28 am

I watched some videos (the 60 second setup does seem great) and I think we'll go with the Ozark 8 person Instant Cabin one which is very similar to the Coleman but has a rain fly and well ventilated top.

Thanks all the for the replies!

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:51 pm

The tent arrived and I'm really impressed. This is the one I went with - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-8 ... t/34109043

It's even easier to setup and take down than I was expecting (probably took me 60 seconds the first time). Best of all my daughter loved it and my wife thought it was really nice too. It's nice being able to stand up in the middle of it (I'm 6'1"). It's well ventilated which will be nice during the summer. The only improvements IMO would be bigger windows and a bigger tent bag to fit it in.

Thanks all for convincing me to go with the "instant cabin" type setup :sharebeer