Brimfield Antique Show

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lws6772

Brimfield Antique Show

Post by lws6772 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:55 am

Any of you boglehead been to the Brimfield Antique Show in Brimfield MA? We are thinking of flying to Boston this summer to go to it and any other flea and antique markets in the surrounding area. My wife specializes in antique pocket watches and jewelry. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Hug401k

Re: Brimfield Antique Show

Post by Hug401k » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:29 pm

I have been there before. I'm not an expert. It is very large. I've never been able to cover the whole thing. I haven't found very low prices, I think it's too well known for real bargains. There are some nice things however. Try to get their for the beginning, many vendors depart by the last day. I would say it's fun, but I'm not sure I would fly in for it but I'm just shopping, not seriously. It may be closer to Bradley Airport in Hartford, CT than Boston and avoiding Boston rush hour is very valuable. (you are heading with evening rush hour).

Hope that helps, good luck.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:45 pm

Have been many times but not in the last few years. May is definitely the biggest of the three (everyone has spent the winter collecting merchandise),July can be very hot and is maybe 1/3 smaller, and September is ok. Lots of dealers selling pocket watches and jewelry and the ones who specialize in that generally know what stuff is worth but you can still find bargains.

My friends who sell antiques tell me the market is really off the past couple of years particularly for furniture and Colonial items. There used to be a two day outdoor show in Farmington CT with probably 500 dealers but that was discontinued a few years back. Of course there are still lots of antiques stores in New England as well as flea markets. I think the Internet and Ebay has changed a lot of that business. Is about one hour from Hartford. Maybe two from Boston with the traffic. PM me if you need more info on Brimfield.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:04 pm

Never been but my neighbor goes every year and has picked up some great stuff - it's huge - I'm not sure but I'm guessing flying into Bradley would get you closer - but you can check that out for yourself with Google maps - Good Luck !!!!

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:35 pm

You also have to know the back way in. Stay off Rt 20 - get off Interstate 84 at Exit 74 in Union CT, head up Mashapaug Rd through Holland MA. (don't blink, you'll miss Holland :happy )