[living in] Minneapolis-St. Paul

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DireWolf

[living in] Minneapolis-St. Paul

Post by DireWolf » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:24 pm

Any Minneapolis-St. Paul Bogleheads?

I've never been, but after researching place to relocate, this seems like a hidden gem. There are virtually zero national news stories focusing on this large city.... that tells me life must be pretty good there. You never hear of a violence epidemic or natural disasters or anything really. Just a city flying under the radar.

I'd love to hear some pros and cons of living in this northern metropolis.

Sconie

Re: Minneapolis-St. Paul

Post by Sconie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:30 pm

Good quality of life, but very high taxes, above average cost of living and brutally cold in the winter.
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

Steve723

Post by Steve723 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:07 pm

Well, I grew up there and lived there until 25, then spent time in metropolitan Chicago and now Philly, so I have a pretty good insider and outsider perspective.

Minneapolis-St. Paul has everything you could possibly ask for out of a metropolitan area, whether it's arts, culture, history, outdoor activities, or professional/collegiate sports. They have it all and it's much more accessible than other large metropolitan areas. The other thing I noticed, at least compared to Chicago and Philly, is that while the government does rely on higher taxes, you don't seem to find the same levels of corruption and waste as in other large cities. I just never recall seen or reading about the same level of scams, scandals, and schemes from politicians and those that live off of politicians compared to places like Chicago, Philly, and New York/New Jersey. There is a label called "Minnesota nice" and there is quite a bit of truth to it.

If you enjoy the great outdoors, probably one of the most beautiful places you can go to is the north shore of Lake Superior in the summer. It is just pristine land up there with unbelievable hiking trails, resorts, quaint towns, and scenic vistas of the lake. As for winters, many Minnesotans embrace it. There are tons of places to X-country ski, downhill ski, ice fish, snowshoe, hunt, etc., etc. If you don't embrace winter or have a southern place to escape to, it can get quite long and dreary.

Overall, it's a first class place to live and I would match it up against any major metropolitan area in the country as far as what it all has to offer. Of all my friends and family growing up there, I'm pretty much the only one that ever left and didn't come back eventually (my wife is from out east).

Good luck!

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:20 pm

I love it here.

Yes, it's cold. Wear a jacket. We don't huddle in our homes all winter. Life goes on. The only way I can see winter being depressing is if you live alone and have no friends (and there are plenty of ways to meet people). I've never felt the dreary depressed feeling that people describe in the winter. It's just cold.

We've got pretty much everything you could want. We aren't the best nightlife, or the best sports atmospheres, or the best theater. But we do so many things well above average.

The taxes are a bummer, but they're not crippling by any means and housing is relatively affordable.

I can't say enough good things about this place. Is it for everyone? Probably not. The brutal winters mean the roads aren't great and there is constant road construction in the summer. Traffic isn't great, but it's nothing like Chicago, DC, or the other bad traffic cities. Did I mention that it's cold? Nobody here likes the cold, but again, it doesn't stop us from living our life. I go out just as often in the winter as I do in the summer. I drive a Honda Civic with front wheel drive and no ABS and am accident free.

I never feel unsafe at night. We don't have an excess of crazy people. However, we are very passive aggressive. There is an art to passive aggressiveness and when you've mastered it you will be a true Minnesotan.

I don't hunt or fish, and I have no desire to. I don't feel like I'm missing out with all of the other opportunities here.

You'll always have job prospects here.
Last edited by mnsportsgeek on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 8 times in total.

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:20 pm

DireWolf wrote:Any Minneapolis-St. Paul Bogleheads?

I've never been, but after researching place to relocate, this seems like a hidden gem. There are virtually zero national news stories focusing on this large city.... that tells me life must be pretty good there. You never hear of a violence epidemic or natural disasters or anything really. Just a city flying under the radar.

I'd love to hear some pros and cons of living in this northern metropolis.
Relocate to work? OK. If you are retiring, retirees prefer to fly south for the winter.

It's a major U.S. metropolitan area like any other major U.S. metropolitan area + cold winters that will give you cabin fever unless you have a way to deal with it.

I remember coming home one night from graduate school on the bus (all my friends drove nice cars) and seeing a rather tragic city record get set. Life is good there but for that one individual who wasn't it turns out connected at all to what was being argued about, life didn't end up so good. Of course, at that time everyplace was facing a similar thing so no, no national headlines. About 4-5 minutes away by car lived my mother who never locked her doors at night. Had a big doberman for a few years, but it wasn't really necessary.

I'm older now and wouldn't ride the last bus home after work through the city like I used to and would try to stay to the suburbs, uptown, downtown, Mall of America and regional parks. Lots of good places actually but you know American cities ... don't assume your safety ... be aware of your surroundings ...

People generally will stop to help out if you slide into a ditch in the winter, but be prepared because you really never know.

You can go there and fall in love or go there and hate it. It depends on what you make of it I think. It's not like a tropical beach ...

I should add, the people generally are decent enough that you probably wouldn't mind talking to them -- at least in my experience.
Last edited by in_reality on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UBP

Post by UBP » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:23 pm

If you want to read something 'national' about Minneapolis, here you go:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... is/384975/

And that article's rebuttal:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ie/385702/

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:36 pm

Winter isn't nearly so bad since I stopped working. If it snows, I can usually postpone whatever for a day. The snow plows are really good up here, and the roads are usually much better after a day. The cold... sometimes it will be better if you wait a day, but sometimes the bitter cold settles in and you just have to bundle up. Ugh!

But we don't have earthquakes! :happy
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:11 pm

DireWolf wrote: There are virtually zero national news stories focusing on this large city.... that tells me life must be pretty good there. You never hear of a violence epidemic or natural disasters or anything really. Just a city flying under the radar.
Be careful, people here have a complex about this, about always being considered "fly over country". This manifests itself in passive aggressiveness and "Minnesota Nice" (which really should be sarcasm). People who move here are never really considered "one of us". It's quite difficult to ingratiate yourself into social circles.

That said the city is amazing and the jobs are plentiful and it's not outrageously expensive. The winters are cold, but really they're not that bad. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, even if the people here are a bit insulated.

dewey

Post by dewey » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:14 pm

Lived near the twin cities for 18 years and have two grown daughters there now so we visit often. I have a real affinity for the Twin Cities and MN in general. During my time there I found people congregated indoors during the coldest months for food, games, warmth, etc. Taxes are a tad higher than some other places but they go to very good use. Many of the downtown areas in Mpls are connected by heated walkways--you can go lots of places in winter and don't even need to take a coat with you. Everything you could possibly want in large urban living is there. And you don't have to travel far to be in some absolutely beautiful outdoor areas. Two thumbs up for the Twin Cities.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:17 pm

Born and raised in the metro surrounding the Twin Cities. Absolutely love it, it truly is a hidden gem.

Amazing job prospects, I believe there are more Fortune 500 companies per capita than any other state, along with some major, major private companies. No matter what sort of work you're looking for, you can find multiple options here. Top notch schools, a robust college system, and tons of relatively affordable housing options. If you want cheap housing, you can find a place that's just a bit further out from the main 'burbs/metro area.

Amazing outdoor stuff to do. Sure, it gets cold in the winter. But for my money, there is absolutely nothing more beautiful than a MN spring/summer. All the lakes, rivers, beaches, you just can't beat it.

A robust food and craft beer landscape is starting to emerge. We have a thriving theater and arts community, 2nd only to NYC in terms of theaters per capita. Low crime. Sure, taxes are high, but the state tends to do a decent job of spending the money on appropriate things. Great state parks is a nice plus!

All in all, I couldn't be happier here. Sure, it has it's negatives, (the main one is the cold) but you learn to embrace it. Really can't think of somewhere else I'd rather raise a family.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Re: [living in] Minneapolis-St. Paul

Post by Alex Frakt » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:20 am

I lived and worked in Minneapolis from '93-'96 while my wife went to law school. From my experience (and the experience of a few of my wife's law school classmates whom I got to know well), it's two different states depending on whether you grew up there or are an outsider. For natives, social life is based around family and the friends you grew up with. Which means that non-natives tend to end up socially isolated. To give you an idea of how extreme this is, I worked for a company there for two years and not once was I asked to join someone for lunch, even as part of a group. I've never experienced anything like that before or since.

Frankly, I could not get out fast enough.

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:13 am

Alex Frakt wrote:For natives, social life is based around family and the friends you grew up with. Which means that non-natives tend to end up socially isolated. To give you an idea of how extreme this is, I worked for a company there for two years and not once was I asked to join someone for lunch, even as part of a group. I've never experienced anything like that before or since.

Frankly, I could not get out fast enough.
Sheesh, it's Minnesota for-pete's-sake. They probably figured you had better things to do.

Or maybe they were just embarrassed that you'd start talking about Jessie-the-body Ventura or any other of the characters that make it into office. Or maybe they were embarassed about how much they ate...

Maybe you didn't find common ground but as a bunch, Minnesotans don't tend to be all that exclusive. They are certainly far warmer and welcoming than the people (non-US) where I live now. IMHO migrants need to include themselves and do the work to overcome cultural differences.

My sister definately would have taken you in as she tends to do with all the immigrants at her work.

So yeah, culturally it's not exactly like everyplace else but that's you and not us. :twisted:

virgingorda

Post by virgingorda » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:19 am

I grew up there and sometimes want to move back and buy a house in the Crocus Hill neighborhood of St. Paul. Those houses are gorgeous! But then I remember how long and cold the winters can be, which puts a stop to that thinking. I still think it's a great place to live, and my parents stayed there when they retired. My mom says winter doesn't bother her because the car has seat warmers! The summers are best enjoyed at the lake. If you don't have a lake house, befriend someone who does.

William4u

Post by William4u » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:36 am

Here is a PBS video from this week... http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/american ... -everyone/

The video talks about how the Twin Cities is the best area to live in for Millennials.

It is a great place if you like road biking (190 miles of paved bike/walk trails). TCBC is a great bike club. I must, however, agree with Alex Frakt about the natives and social life. We have heard that complaint from many, many long time (but non-native) Twin Cities residents. Join a group or club, but your very polite neighbor won't invite you to do anything if he or she grew up there.

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:14 am

I was born and raised in MN and have lived in the Twin Cities most of my life. During my working career we had many employees that came from out of state and most loved living here. I have never witnessed this not native isolation that others have talked about.

stoutglass

Post by stoutglass » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:26 am

I lived/worked in both the Southwest and Southeast suburbs for roughly 5 years. It's a great place to live. The brutal winters tend to drive out the folks who don't really want to be there and there's something to be said for a city full of people who want to live there. Depending on your background, you must consider impact of the weather. You can have many -20 to -30 windchill days all strung together. People drive to/from work in the midst of a snowfall dropping 12+ inches. If you own a home, you need a snowblower (or a teenager with a shovel). Spring/Summer are comparatively short and winter takes up most of that extra space. If you enjoy winter or can easily adjust to it from where you are now, you'll be fine.

I really enjoyed the people and the economy/employability there as well. Lots of good folks around...and an enormous number of companies headquartered there as well. If you like baseball, the St Paul Saints games are some of the best times I've had at a sporting event.

stout

trasmuss

Post by trasmuss » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:43 am

I've lived in a suburb of the TC for 50 years (and 15 years before that in Eau Claire Wisconsin which has basically the same weather).

You didn't mention where you have lived. I would give you the same advice that I would give someone thinking of moving to Florida or Arizona. Pick the month that you may find most disagreeable and vacation there. In the case of Florida or a city like Phoenix, the time to go would be the summer. In the case of the Twin Cities, come visit in January! If you can handle January you have a pretty good idea of what it is like. November through March can be too cool for my tastes (I stay because of children and grandchildren).

Like bicycling, swimming pools, motorcycling, boating, golfing, convertibles, etc.? Plan on a short season.

Being in the center of the country, it is a long drive to mountains or the ocean.

If the weather isn't a drawback for you, there are many positives as others have mentioned.

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:52 am

I'd move there in a heartbeat.

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:58 am

I would never move to St. Paul. It is a dull, boring place. Minneapolis on the other hand is a great place to live and work. It has a thriving and diverse economy. It has beaten Portland out as the best bike friendly city for the past few years. And this is true even in the dead of winter.

As people have mentioned, taxes are high. On the flip side I think we get good value for the money.

For more propaganda see http://www.minnpost.com/

Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:05 am

I grew up there (mpls suburb actually) and loved it. However, I haven't lived there since 2001 and don't miss it much other than family and friends still being there. After growing up, no more hockey, and nothing to keep my mind off the long winters, the weather really got to me commuting and having a driveway full of snow before or after work... and the cold.

And, the hot an humid summers... and the bugs... and the tornadoes... and the blizzards... and the.......

It may not make the national news for hurricanes and earthquakes, but MN has plenty of scary weather issues of it's own.

Minneapolis itself is FAR from crime free. It actually has a fairly high crime rate when they go by a per capita basis. Depends on where one lives though and most suburbs are pretty quiet that way.

I have also lived in the Denver and Seattle areas and would compare Minneapolis to both of them. In that, they are all great metro areas with probably something for everyone no matter what their entertainment tastes are. Yes, you're reading this and seeing me complain about MN weather earlier and now talking Denver and Seattle. :happy I consider both Denver and Seattle mild compared to MN/Minneapolis. No place is perfect that way though.

It is a growing area for sure. When I get back to visit, it looks different each time with new businesses, buildings, sports stadiums, freeways.... there's always something. Seems like plenty of major companies are moving there or putting a branch there. I would imagine there are plenty of jobs to be had.

The traffic in Minneapolis (excluding storm days) is nowhere near as bad as the Denver or Seattle area. In my opinion, the have a pretty good traffic/freeway system set up in the Minneapolis area.

I could see myself maybe living in MN again someday. But, it would be after retirement, up north somewhere, by a lake, and if it was cold or hot I could stay inside that day.

The "native" thing is true of any place, from my experience. Denver and Seattle also have the native thing where they don't like the newcomers. I think the mobile society we have now is still fairly new and some "locals" aren't accepting of it. People will adjust though.

OP, where would you be relocating from... still in a career or would this be in retirement?

Mandrale

Post by Mandrale » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:12 am

If you don't mind me asking, what age range are you within? What are your interests? That will greatly influence what there is to do throughout the year.

Myself, I'm 25, have lived my entire life here (but visited many other places) and I absolutely love it here. There is not a place I would rather live in the country.

Great job opportunities, food, beer, sports environments, lakes, rivers, hiking trails, etc...

Of course there are downsides as other people have mentioned, but I think any place you go will have that. Good luck trying to replicate a summer spent here with anywhere else in the country. Spending time on the lakes/beaches is among my favorite things to do all summer long.

Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:18 am

Looks like people who grew up there like it.

And for the most part, people who aren't from there find that the natives are nice on the surface and appear friendly but really aren't available for friendship and the newcomers get socially excluded. I found the people as described by others who go there but didn't grow up there or marry into a family who was from there.

I lived there for a year way back when and found many amenities including cultural activities, lots of parks, and the terrific public transportation system.

And once I accidentally got off the bus one stop past my usual stop, there was quite a difference in how safe it was - and I got mugged in broad daylight.

That's pretty much what I have to say about the area.
I don't know anything.

jbdiver

Post by jbdiver » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:35 am

It's cold here -- like arctic polar bear cold. We have the winter season and the roadwork season. Winter lasts 5 months and Spring lasts about a month. In the middle of summer, we enjoy 90 deg days with 100% humidity. Our state bird is the mosquito. You can't buy beer on Sundays.

Just trying to provide a contrarian viewpoint... ;)

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:43 am

One quick note about the weather. Three years living in Minneapolis, and 2 of those walking over a mile to work every day, made adjusting to the relatively mild Chicago winters a breeze. :-)

NorthDakota

Post by NorthDakota » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:58 am

I moved from Fargo, ND to Minneapolis in 2013 and love it here. I have not seen this isolation concept one poster stated, but I have heard people talk about how people can be that way. Taxes are definitely higher and there are more crime areas than North Dakota obviously, but does not seem to be a huge issue. I live in the city of Minneapolis and am within a mile of Lake Harriet and Calhoun in southwest Minneapolis which are awesome to bike and run around in the summer and have beaches as well. The winter is cold, but we usually try to break it up with a tropical vacation or two. MSP is a delta hub and has several budget carries such as southwest so flights are relatively reasonable. The city has two newer light rail lines which are great and more in development. Traffic can be ugly at times but you get the hang of it pretty quickly and learn where not to go.
My points and miles blog: thriftytraveler.com

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:00 am

Mn is a great state, Mpls has seen many changes in the last 10 years to a lessor extent St. Paul. In reality the two cities are joined at the hip in many regards.

The winter can get a little long but its not a huge deal.

As others have stated upper MN is just a beautiful area from the north shore to the farm fields, the Mississippi River valley area in the Sothern part of the state is very beautiful as well. If you live anywhere around the TC area you can get to just about any part of the state in few hours. The Park Rapids area is a great low key get away!

Just south of Mpls you will find the city of Northfield, they won the best place to retire from Money Magazine, it is a great town.
http://time.com/money/3529552/northfield-minnesota/

If you live here or not for any outdoor lover a trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area is worthwhile trip.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/superior/ ... rdb5202169
The BWCAW is a unique area located in the northern third of the Superior National Forest in northeastern Minnesota. Over 1 million acres in size, it extends nearly 150 miles along the International Boundary adjacent to Canada’s Quetico Provincial Park and is bordered on the west by Voyageurs National Park. The BWCAW contains over 1200 miles of canoe routes, 12 hiking trails and over 2000 designated campsites. Wilderness offers freedom to those who wish to pursue an experience of expansive solitude, challenge and personal integration with nature. Because this area was set aside in 1926 to preserve its primitive character and made a part of the National Wilderness Preservation System in 1964, it allows visitors to canoe, portage and camp in the spirit of the French Voyageurs of 200 years ago.

EDIT: With 2000 campsites in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area you can go days/weeks without seeing another sole, its a little unnerving for some people.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

Ktemene

Post by Ktemene » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:41 pm

There is "Minnesota nice," but also "Minnesota ice." "Minnesota nice" does not compensate for "Minnesota ice." Sure, people don't honk at you or yell curses if you delay traffic, but how much of a factor is that in a good life? I've lived in a number of places, and I can say with no hesitation that the Twin Cities is the unfriendliest place I've ever been, and that includes southern England. Even at church, people are cold! I've known a couple here for 8 years, and they live in my small condo. It has taken them 7 years to see a movie with me, and they have never introduced me to any of their friends. No one else in the condo has included me in any social event. When passing in the hall no one says Hi unless I speak first. When I first moved in to this small condo, not even my next door neighbor introduced himself to me. Really, the social isolation makes it hard to appreciate all of the positive sides of Minneapolis. Of course, you can go to the theater or restaurants etc. by yourself, but it is just not as much fun. I don't mind the winters so much. But the summers are unbearable. A few summers ago the temperture rose to 120 and the humity was almost 100%. On that day Minneapolis was hotter than death valley. If you are already very keen on outdoor activities, then Minnesota might not be so bad. The park system in the Twin Cities is very good. But if you move to the Twin Cities, bear in mind that you will have to drive quite far to fish, hunt or even hike in the woods. There are lots of lakes in the Twin Cities, but the fish have absorbed the pollution in the lakes and have a nasty taste. People have mentioned that Lake Superior and northern MN in general is very nice. But you must drive for many hours to get there from MInneapolis. And the same is true of Chicago- it is 8 or 9 hours drive away. And Chicago is the nearest major city. I live in Uptown, and the local papers report break-ins to dwellings and cars and muggings all the time. I am afraid to walk after 10:00pm. My after my first year here I would have moved away if I could have.

Former Usher

Post by Former Usher » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:47 pm

Having moved here 20 years ago from out of state, I can echo many of the comments above.

Taxes are high, but not punitive. You might not agree with how much you are taxed or how it is spent, but you're not likely to see the governor hauled away in handcuffs, either.

People talk about the weather. A lot. It's often the lead story on the local news. Makes it easy to start a conversation. Winter weather varies. This year was pretty mild. Last year saw 5-6 days of school canceled not for snow but because of the cold. On the coldest days it's usually sunny, which is nice.

Minnesota Nice is really Minnesota Civility. To validate Alex's point, I've been at three employers so far, and lunch invitations have largely been limited to those from former classmates and co-workers.

Passive aggressiveness is real, and can appear in unexpected ways. You might not find out that someone was unhappy with your work until the moment you're pulled off of a project.

The best Target stores are here, including the first one, T1 in Roseville.

Sun Country is a great airline for a quick escape to somewhere warmer. Their presence helps keep Delta's prices low.
Last edited by Former Usher on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ktemene

Post by Ktemene » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:11 pm

Just one more note. A couple of days after I first moved into this small condo the annual meeting was held. I mentioned to the group of home owners a few things that my building inspector had said needed to be fixed. I thought that everyone would appreciate it. Little did I know that the other home owners, and especially the board members, would be deeply offended. My inspector had said that a lock should be put on an electrical box. I offered the president of the board a lock that I wasn’t using. She refused. The next day she put a sign on the electrical box saying that the Board would be held harmless if anyone approached the (unlocked) box and was injured. However, she flatly refused to be a lock on it. The place the I rented before moving to Minneapolis had had a break-in that was very scary. The condo’s back door was very insecure and could have easily have been broken into by breaking a small pane of thin glass and turning the inside door knob. Also, the thin glass and large cracks between the door and ground leaked a lot of heat. I offered to buy for the condo a secure and energy efficient door of the board’s choosing. But the Board refused the free door by making ludicrous requirements on me before they would even consider accepting a free door. First, I must make a list of every door that was for sale in the entire Twin Cities and suburbs. Then I must hire a mechanical drawer who would make a detailed drawing of everything involved in replacing a door- e.g. first a certain screw must be taken out, then a second screw etc. After I had assembled all of those papers, the board would *consider* accepting a free door, but they might well refuse. My inspector had also pointed out that the downspouts in the front of the building were directing rainwater directly into the foundation of the building. I mentioned this as well. The board refused to fix this and in the 8 years that I have lived here have continued to refuse to fix it, on the most ludicrous of excuses, namely that if the downspouts were long enough to carry the rain water away from the building, that would detract from the beauty of the garden, which is in any case full of weeds and dying flowers. (The board has refused permission to homeowners to care for the garden). My condo is on the south east corner of the building, and the south east corner of my condo is directly opposite one of the downspouts. After 8 years that corner has developed cracked floorboard and cracked drywall, but there is no damage of that sort anywhere else in my condo. I can’t help but think that the damage has been caused by the rainwater delivered to the place directly outside the ruined floorboard and plaster. Last year, the board installed at great expense solar panels on the roof of the building. But the back door that leaks a huge amount of heat remains. The board members lied to other homeowners that it was impossible to buy a door to replace the old insecure one, because the door’s width was not the standard length for doors. In addition the board imposes all sorts of regulations on me in particular that do not apply to other homeowners. I can only assume that my polite suggestion, 8 years ago, that a few things should be changed, was considered so offensively uppity that the board rejected them out of hand. The thing that astonishes me is that all of the other homeowners support the board, even though their own property is being damaged. They are all MN natives, and I can only assume that they would rather have a break-in and lose money on the resale value of their condos than leave an uppity stranger unpunished. Furthermore, the board regularly violates the by-laws of the condo and the laws of the state. No one minds except me. Really, I just cannot understand the extent to which these people will go to inflict passive aggressive punishment on a new comer who had the effrontery to offer to pay for improvements that obviously were to the benefit of the homeowners. If anyone can suggest anything I can do about this situation short of a lawsuit, I would be very grateful.

Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:28 pm

That's nice and all. But, you can probably keep your condo issues and gripes to yourself. That's a very small sampling and probably not representative of Minneapolis or MN as a whole.

And, learn to break things up into paragraphs!! :wink:

jimbowman

Post by jimbowman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:47 pm

Just get snow tires and remote start and the winters are fine. Best purchase I have ever made was remote start. If you work in either downtown there is the skyway system and a lot of building have underground parking. The streches of sub zero cold are annoying and make you ask yourself why you live here but the summers make up for it.

fishingmn

Post by fishingmn » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:51 pm

Ktemene wrote: If anyone can suggest anything I can do about this situation short of a lawsuit, I would be very grateful.
Move? PM me, I'm a realtor in town :)

Short of enlisting support from fellow residents and/or getting like minded people elected to the board your 3 options are -

1) Deal with it
2) Rent it (if allowed)
3) Sell it

I don't consider suing a viable option.

Back to the topic - I've lived in the Minnesota my whole life and the Twin Cities suburbs for 30+ years. I will never move as there are too many family and friends that are here and 9 months of the year it's quite enjoyable. Retirement isn't that far away and getting out of here in at least January is in the plan. Unemployment is really low - easy to find a job here. Most haven't talked about education but those high taxes do pay for a very good public school system that provides well above average ACT scores and above average graduation rates. That is if you are white - Minnesota is struggling with one of the largest achievement gaps in the US.

tallgirl1204

Post by tallgirl1204 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:26 pm

I have read all of the replies with interest, wondering if I would have anything to add, as I lived there in the 1980s-90s and don't have "fresh" information. I have since lived in four different states (!) and would go back to Minneapolis in a minute, if there were any jobs at all in my (very very narrow) field there, and if my spouse was amenable (he is very embedded where we live now).

So, here are my contributions, based on a somewhat dated perspective. I was also in a very much lower income bracket during those years, living in a variety of rental housing/neighborhoods.

1. The parks were well-maintained, the public art and theatre abounded, and the buses ran dependably. I hear there is now some light rail as well. I bicycle commuted to downtown and/or University about 7-8 months of the year, using beautiful bike paths and dedicated bike lanes. I used buses the rest of the time, and reserved my car for recreation or the periods when I was employed in the suburbs. I now live in a state that prizes low taxes above all other considerations, and I desperately miss the parks, the public events, those beautiful paths, and the public transportation.

2. Winters can be easier than summers, for some people (like me). I never lived in an apartment or house with air conditioning while I was in Minnesota. There is usually a several-week stretch sometime in July or August when temperatures soar into three digits and don't come down much at night. This combined with high humidity was my least favorite thing about life in the Twin Cities. I tried to be out of town when such periods came. The up side of these heat waves is that with 100 lakes within city limits, there are plenty of places to try to cool off during those periods.

3. Winters are not a bad thing, if you have the right attitude. I learned my first winter that the key is to "go outside anyway." When I saw people ice skating at midnight on Lake of the Isles, or skiing down the middle of the streets immediately after a blizzard, I was inspired to join them. It's a whole lot more fun if you're playing in it. As for commuting in it, see "public transportation," above.

4. Others have mentioned "Minnesota nice." What stands out for me is the "work hard, play hard" ethic, which I identify as Scandinavian, but maybe not. If there was work to do, people were doing it full tilt. And when the work was done, the play began, as heartily and full-bore as the work. (see ice-skating at midnight, above).

5. There is some truth in Garrison Keillor. I learned to refuse an offer (of cake, of tea, etc. ) three times before the other person insisted and I could accept. This is very different than the culture in which I was raised, in which to hesitate to accept hospitality was to insult the host. In Minnesota, a little ritual of "oh, don't go to any trouble" that had to be danced first.

6. There is a vibrant and multi-cultural community there-- even moreso than when I lived there. I was there when the Hmong community first arrived, and others have come after. I lived in a couple of neighborhoods where there was no majority race-- the mix was diverse and lively. It wasn't always easy, but it was always interesting-- mostly in a good way. But this is right in the city-- if you aren't up for that on your own block, there are lots of neighborhoods that are much more homogeneous.

7. ETA: I noticed that some people felt folks were unfriendly. I moved there after having grown up in the South, and what I noticed was that people were slower to warm up than the Southerners whose exuberance I was used to (same said Southerners were very suspicious of Northerners, so there you have that.). But once I was "in" with people in Minnesota I was in. I always felt in the South that the outward friendliness was not very deep, and could turn against me pretty easily. The Minnesota nice was reserved and cool, and warmed up considerably over time. I also note that I joined a church (you may substitute any social group here) that had attracted a number of other people who were "imports"-- from Iowa mainly-- and they were also looking for a social life. That might have to be something you do deliberately, and you will have to accept that reserved attitude as part of the culture.

Just some thoughts. Good luck with your decision!

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:23 pm

Twin Cities resident for the Last 40 Years. Pretty much a Perfect Place from about April through October. I would not sell December, January or February to anyone! November and March are Dicey at best.

With that said, I am in the Bahamas for the entire Winter ! 8-)

virgingorda

Post by virgingorda » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:31 pm

alex_686 wrote:I would never move to St. Paul. It is a dull, boring place. Minneapolis on the other hand is a great place to live and work. It has a thriving and diverse economy.
Spoken like a true Minneapolitan! Did anyone yet mention that there is a slight rivalry between the cities? It's not like you can't live in one and work in the other. They are right next to eachother! Are the economies seriously different? I find that hard to believe. It is like one city with two downtowns, residential areas completely contiguous, except where the Mississippi cuts through.

Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:35 pm

Don't let these "perfect summer" folks fool you.

I remember going to a softball tournament first weekend of June one year and there was snow on the outfield grass until noon, from an overnight snow. True story! Also, the monsoon type rainfalls that always seem to happen around Father's Day weekend. Also, the summer is tornado season....

And, the spring floods... although, that usually doesn't mess with the Twin Cities too much.

My favorite season in MN was the fall. It gets very pretty with the colors, not hot, not cold, and nice and cool.

I suppose it is all in what one thinks is nice or perfect.

I really did love growing up there. Despite my grumpy posts. :happy .... Just think the OP needs to know more than the rosy side of MN.

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:47 pm

Ktemene wrote: I don't mind the winters so much. But the summers are unbearable. A few summers ago the temperture rose to 120 and the humity was almost 100%. On that day Minneapolis was hotter than death valley.
Dude, where are you getting your facts? I have lived in Minnesota for over 60 years, it has never been that hot in the entire State! Here are the hottest days in Minneapolis on Record. I'm guessing that you never experienced these days, much less 120 Degrees. Are you sure you weren't in Arizona?

10 All-Time Hottest Weather Temperature Days in Minneapolis/St. Paul History

1. July 14, 1936 - 108 degrees

T-2. May 31, 1934 - 106

T-2. July 10, 1936 - 106

T-2. July 11, 1936 - 106

T-2. July 12, 1936 - 106

T-6. July 13, 1936 - 105

T-6. July 21, 1934 - 105

T-6. July 22, 1934 - 105

T-6. July 23, 1934 - 105

T-6. July 31, 1988 - 105

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:35 pm

BahamaMan wrote: Dude, where are you getting your facts? I have lived in Minnesota for over 60 years, it has never been that hot in the entire State! Here are the hottest days in Minneapolis on Record. I'm guessing that you never experienced these days, much less 120 Degrees. Are you sure you weren't in Arizona?
Given the cactus in AZ would be an obvious giveaway, I see two possibilities:

1) after a few MN winters even mild heat feels challenging and over 100 is comparable to 120 for those used to the heat
2) the thermometer was still (at least partially) frozen and not working right

Given the harsh winters, I suspect it might be number two ...

tj

Post by tj » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:52 pm

Someone mentioned the SkyWay - is it realistic to live in downtown Mineappolis in a building attached to the skyway and work at a job attached to the skyway? How much would rent cost for such a thing? And what do utilities look like? It sounds pricy. :)

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:41 pm

Twins Fan wrote:Don't let these "perfect summer" folks fool you.

I remember going to a softball tournament first weekend of June one year and there was snow on the outfield grass until noon, from an overnight snow. True story! Also, the monsoon type rainfalls that always seem to happen around Father's Day weekend. Also, the summer is tornado season....

And, the spring floods... although, that usually doesn't mess with the Twin Cities too much.

My favorite season in MN was the fall. It gets very pretty with the colors, not hot, not cold, and nice and cool.

I really did love growing up there. Despite my grumpy posts. :happy .... Just think the OP needs to know more than the rosy side of MN.
I've lived here for 20 years.

Snow in June? In Minneapolis? Nope. The latest recorded snowfall in Minnesota was June 4, 1935. Location was about an hour south of Canada.
Tornado Season? I've never seen one.
Monsoon? I think you're talking about Miami.

jetstayeat

Post by jetstayeat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:05 pm

tj wrote:Someone mentioned the SkyWay - is it realistic to live in downtown Mineappolis in a building attached to the skyway and work at a job attached to the skyway? How much would rent cost for such a thing? And what do utilities look like? It sounds pricy. :)
Yes, there are apartment buildings that are part of the Skyway system. The prices vary. There are some older buildings and a few brand new ones. The prices are high (compared to the rest of the Metro) and they usually add on fees for parking in the ramp, etc. Last year, I lived in an older high rise that had direct Skyway access and it was $1725/mo for a 2bd/2ba + $100/mo for a parking spot in the parking ramp. Utilities were reasonable. The rent included ac/heat/gas so I only paid electric and water/trash and the two bills combined were never more than $100/mo. The rent for the brand new, "luxury" buildings (i.e. Soo Line, Nic on 5th) will be even higher.

One thing to note about the Skyway is that it is nearly deserted at night and on weekends except by Macy's or Target Center when there is an event. Almost all of the small shops in the Skyway are closed on the weekends and except for the Skyways that are attached to hotels, they have limited hours on the weekend. (i.e., many of the Skyways are closed by 8pm on Saturday and 6pm on Sunday)

I lived in an apartment in downtown (connected to Skyway) for 6 months, then bought a condo in the North Loop (just northwest of downtown where old warehouses are being converted to lofts and a lot of trendy restaurants and shops are popping up). I greatly prefer North Loop (it has a nice neighborhood vibe) to downtown, even if I do have to walk a few blocks outside to reach the Skyway to go to work.

Finally, we moved to MSP 11 years ago and really like it. People have always been nice and I haven't had any issues building friendships with people that have lived in MN for their entire life. About two years ago, we had an opportunity and moved to Austin, TX. (Another awesome city) We really, really liked Austin but ultimately chose to return to MSP after a year in Austin because we felt like MSP was home for us.

Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:18 pm

mnsportsgeek wrote:
Twins Fan wrote:Don't let these "perfect summer" folks fool you.

I've lived here for 20 years.

Snow in June? In Minneapolis? Nope. The latest recorded snowfall in Minnesota was June 4, 1935. Location was about an hour south of Canada.
Tornado Season? I've never seen one.
Monsoon? I think you're talking about Miami.
I said there was snow on the grass. It wasn't much. Maybe it wasn't measurable? The point is it was flippin cold.. in JUNE!! And, still a true story. :wink:

I sure hope you're not saying MN doesn't have tornadoes because you have never seen one. You know that's not true that MN doesn't have tornadoes. :wink:

I said monsoon like... as in not really a monsoon, but LOTS of rain. Don't take things so literal. :wink:

Too bad you didn't live there when the Twins won the World Series in '87 and '91, sportsgeek. I did! :wink:

I lived there for 27 years, so you still have a little way to go. Nice try though. :P

krannerd

Post by krannerd » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:39 pm

Moved here 4 years ago from Phoenix. Live in Minneapolis proper. Love it!

Met more neighbors in 4 days than in 4 years living in Phoenix. Most of them are darned friendly too (neighbors shoveling each other's walks, mowing each other's lawns, neighborhood BBQs). The lakes in the city are wonderful...just visited one of them this evening. At the Lake Harriet bandshell, there are concerts nightly in the summer months. Jobs seem plentiful and well paying. We got over the cold quickly and really enjoy the sunny days in the winter (compared to the gray of Indiana winters. Lots of professional sports, theater, arts...plenty of nearby churches...civic associations seem strong.

The taxes are high (specifically on income) but the money does seem to be spent well. It's more expensive than Phoenix (housing, food).

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:38 pm

DireWolf wrote:There are virtually zero national news stories focusing on this large city....

By the way, google "mpls bridge collapse".

And here is 99 more problems. http://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/ ... is-st-paul

DireWolf

Post by DireWolf » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:41 pm

Thanks for all the great replies. For those who asked... my wife and I are mid-30s. This would be a career move (healthcare). We currently live in the midwest, so we are used to extremes of weather (although not THAT cold). The social isolation might be the only negative, since my wife and I aren't the most extroverted people. But overall, it seems like a great place to raise a family.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:12 pm

68% of Minnesota residents were born here, and another 6% were born in neighboring states. This means there isn't a lot of turnover in people, which means many people have established social networks. You'll have to make some effort to get to know people, but the usual ways to do so -- joining a church, volunteering, kids at school, selecting a neighborhood where you'll know your neighbors -- will all help you connect with others.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:39 pm

It is a very broad question and anecdotal answers, while interesting, are just that.

There is an active Minnesota Bogleheads group. I'm a member of the steering committee. I think most people would find the 6 of us very welcoming. We would certainly like to have more active members!

I've lived in Minnesota my entire life. I'm from the International Falls area which is really cold in winter. Minneapolis-St. Paul can be miserable in winter (December, January, February). If you are here long enough, that make you appreciate the longer days that March brings even though we get snow in March. I've lived in the Twin Cities for 45 years and in St. Paul for the past 36 years.

"Minnesota Nice" - My take on this is as follows (caveat - one person's experience is not a reliable data set). If you are having trouble based on severe weather, people will go out of their way to help. We all realize the difficulties that winter brings and we tend to band together a bit to help each other out. That has been my consistent experience in the 5-6 neighborhoods I have lived in. Out of town on vacation - your neighbor will likely mow your lawn (shovel your sidewalk) if you ask him/her to do so. Breaking in to an established groups inner circle is a bit tougher. Most of my Twin Cities friends are based on work connections.

Alex's comments and those of Ktemene are very credible based on my wife's and my living experience in St. Paul's neighborhoods. In our first house we had friendly neighbors, and met and socialized with a couple of them - and still do today. In our second house we knew more neighbors, and one neighbor's daughter was a close friend of our daughters, but we never socialized with any of them. The neighborhood seemed clickish and we lived there for 20+ years. We moved 5 years ago. The new neighborhood is very welcoming and we have met and socialized with a number of people. The difference seems to be a few key neighbors who are more outgoing than my wife and I, and they tend to spontaneously sponsor small gatherings (at the level of a small block party) that are fun to attend. These few long term residents go out of their way to be inclusive, welcome people to the neighborhood, and provide opportunities to interact.

As mentioned, biking opportunities are great. I probably biked on clean trails 20 times in March this year. Last year i probably didn't start biking until April.

Being retired in Minnesota is better than working in Minnesota. On really cold or snowy days, you can just stay home. Waiting for a bus with a 20 below wind chill (not uncommon) is no fun. There are lots of opportunities for outdoor activities year around - winter can be long and/or boring if you don't ski, snowmobile, or have an indoor hobby to pursue. Spring, summer (even with the few unbearable hot humid days) and fall are all great.

The Twin Cities does have some problems. There is some crime, there are some gangs, graduation rates vary a lot based on ethnicity. Taxes are on the high side but government tends to be fairly responsive and efficient - not a lot of political corruption.

Minneapolis versus St. Paul - both have their pluses. Minneapolis has more nightlife, St. Paul is less dense in terms of population and has less traffic. I could go on. . . . . . .

jimbowman

Post by jimbowman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:53 am

I also love driving 3 hours north from the cities to our lake house. Actually seeing the stars at night is amazing. Northern lights are even better.

William4u

Post by William4u » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:07 am

I can attest that the MN Boglehead group is great. If you move there, definitely go to the meetings. I basically agree with all the positive things mentioned above.

tedclu

Post by tedclu » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:07 am

Moved to MPLS 5 years ago, previously lived in much larger cities in the Midwest, southeast, and internationally.

It is a good place to live.

People: very Nice, (passive aggressive to the extreme), not at all multicultural(vs other midsize cities)

Job/econ: highly paid, comparable to Chicago. Economy is good if you don't work for target.

Transportation: light rail lines are good, traffic is not that bad. hate delta, they control about 90% of the gates at msp.

Cost of living: low, comparing to compensation level. But high taxes. (Just under 11% for a meal in downtown)

weather: winter too long. most people heads out to fla, Hawaii or az for a period of time.