Closing out my first 'snowbirding' winter

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Closing out my first 'snowbirding' winter

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi all, was wondering if there are other snowbirds out there who have experiences to share. I retired a few years ago and my wife last year so we decided to go south to Florida for the winter. We loved it. The weather was great....we missed all the snow and cold up north...and got to do a lot of tennis and swimming. Gonna miss it! Already booked for next year.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Gary Guss

Re: Closing out my first 'snowbirding' winter

Post by Gary Guss » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:13 pm

We went for January, next year we are going to go for 2 months.... it was great!

Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Gary Guss wrote:We went for January, next year we are going to go for 2 months.... it was great!
Yep we did 3 months, 1 month last year. It was a great experience.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Glad to hear the good reports.

One day I hope to join you "Snowbirding".

Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:16 pm

ShiftF5 wrote:Glad to hear the good reports.

One day I hope to join you "Snowbirding".
Met lots of fellow snowbirds from all over Ohio, Minnesota, Mass, Iowa, Canada many of whom have been doing it for many years. Today was chilly, only 67 and sunny lol

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:27 pm

I snowbirded southern CA, Arizona and New Mexico a year ago. It was very nice. Wore shorts all winter. :happy

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:49 pm

You missed a great year of skiing and ice climbing!
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

island

Post by island » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:55 pm

tennisplyr wrote:Hi all, was wondering if there are other snowbirds out there who have experiences to share. I retired a few years ago and my wife last year so we decided to go south to Florida for the winter. We loved it. The weather was great....we missed all the snow and cold up north...and got to do a lot of tennis and swimming. Gonna miss it! Already booked for next year.
OP, may I ask where you went and stayed and how you decided on the location?
Thanks

Topic Author
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:59 pm

island wrote:
tennisplyr wrote:Hi all, was wondering if there are other snowbirds out there who have experiences to share. I retired a few years ago and my wife last year so we decided to go south to Florida for the winter. We loved it. The weather was great....we missed all the snow and cold up north...and got to do a lot of tennis and swimming. Gonna miss it! Already booked for next year.
Thanks
Staying in Sarasota on the Gulf Coast. Visited here a couple of times and loved it. Rich history, lots of culture and fun outdoor things to do. It's a little more laid back than the East coast.

island

Post by island » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:04 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
island wrote:
Thanks
Staying in Sarasota on the Gulf Coast. Visited here a couple of times and loved it. Rich history, lots of culture and fun outdoor things to do. It's a little more laid back than the East coast.
Hotel, condo, specific for seniors?

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:32 pm

we go every january and now we see the same people at the condo and have a group that we hang with. it is so great to not have to shovel and instead we can walk the beach every morning. fantastic
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:39 pm

If you are heading back to New England, it's been snowing in the Boston area all day. Might want to delay till after the marathon for your return trip.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:42 pm

bengal22 wrote:we go every january and now we see the same people at the condo and have a group that we hang with. it is so great to not have to shovel and instead we can walk the beach every morning. fantastic
Truly one of the fruits of your labor. Congratulations!

I'll be reading and taking notes from all the experienced snowbirders.

jw424

Post by jw424 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:53 pm

Been doing it for 20 years. Picked up a part time position at Disney. Work Braves spring training games at ESPN Wide
World of Sports and get discount golf at Disney courses. What could be better? (Retired at 53 still working at 75)

island

Post by island » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:35 pm

jwvanhoven wrote:Been doing it for 20 years. Picked up a part time position at Disney. Work Braves spring training games at ESPN Wide
World of Sports and get discount golf at Disney courses. What could be better? (Retired at 53 still working at 75)
That sounds interesting. What kind of work do you do at Disneyworld?
How many months do you go?

island

Post by island » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:37 pm

Curious, are you all homeowners? Who looks after your homestead while you're gone?
Thanks.

John Z

Post by John Z » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:02 pm

Wife and I retired July 2012. Our first goal was to escape NH winters so we rented a condo in New Smyrna Beach, FL right on the beach using VRB for January. We loved it so much we wanted to stay for Feb but condo not available but found another, better one. We were monitoring real estate and when a house price was dropped 35% in a senior community in Ormond Beach, FL in May 2013 we put a deposit down, flew down 2 days later and signed agreement. Place was fully furnished too. So we've spent Jan-May 2014 and this year here. It's not totally beach weather in northern FL (next to Daytona Beach) but we don't have the population density that you find in lower FL with tons of traffic, and the weather is pleasant enough to do a variety of activities. We head back right before Memorial Day. We just love every minute of FL living.
We have a townhouse condo in NH so nothing to take care of. We winterize it before we leave and sons check it once a month. Mail is forwarded.
We thought about renting but you don't have your own stuff. First condo had small tube TVs and very little storage space for clothes. Second condo had slightly larger tube TVs and the AC was noisy almost unbearable. First beds were totally uncomfortable and mattresses would be ones that you would discard (probably what the owner did, bought new one for them and gave the rental condo the old one).
Our retirement community is gated/guarded so we can leave it for 6 months without worry. Downside is we have to pay a monthly rent which covers all the maintenance and security plus amenities.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
John

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:30 pm

island wrote:Curious, are you all homeowners? Who looks after your homestead while you're gone?
Thanks.
+1 Great question - the ideal is to have family nearby that you can leave a key with - we live in a condo in CT and don't have family nearby and so we set the security system , left the thermostat at 60 degrees , stopped mail and newspaper, put a few lights on timers and then left a key with our next door neighbor when we went to SC for March - it worked out OK but it's not the same as leaving a key with a clone of yourself if you know what I mean .

Just before we left , several sections of our roof were raked to minimize ice dam problems - a day after leaving our alarm system went off , apparently a door opened by itself , hmmmm ?? and then again when the power went dead - local police dispatched both times - asked our neighbor to check things out after two weeks and she reported some water spots on the kitchen ceiling and discolored ceiling tiles in a lower level office - we started feeling on edge and came home a week early.

Otherwise the condo was in good shape and nothing was amiss and we learned from the experience , e.g. deadbolt that particular door :happy ; not sure if we'll recruit that same neighbor next year , we might ask out daughter and SIL to drive down from Boston every couple weeks but DW doesn't want to impose on them :annoyed .

Again Island , a good question and I'd also like to hear from others regarding what they do .

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:41 pm

ubermax wrote:...not sure if we'll recruit that same neighbor next year , we might ask out daughter and SIL to drive down from Boston every couple weeks but DW doesn't want to impose on them :annoyed .
Many pet sitters also house and plant sit. Many of these people are bonded. They would not need to come every day. The cost should be minimal and maybe even less than your daughter to drive out. Might be money well spent.

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:11 pm

Just returned from Grand Bahama Island after 3 months. Going to a foreign country presents many problems. We hope everyone stays in South Florida. 8-)

island

Post by island » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:08 pm

BahamaMan wrote:Just returned from Grand Bahama Island after 3 months. Going to a foreign country presents many problems. We hope everyone stays in South Florida. 8-)
What kind of problems?
I've never gone out of country that long, but have stayed 4-6 weeks several times in Mex, Aruba, Anguilla, Turks & Caicos, and Cook Islands without experiencing any different problems than same amount of time on Maui or in Palm Desert.

tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:16 pm

I think BahamaMan was saying it tongue in cheek so that it doesn't get overcrowded :happy

eschaef

Post by eschaef » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:07 pm

island wrote:Curious, are you all homeowners? Who looks after your homestead while you're gone?
Thanks.
Adult daughter of snowbirds here. I check in on the house once a week or so. The neighbors keep an eye out for anything majorly out of the ordinary. Mail is forwarded. A plow service keeps the driveway and front walk neat looking and ice-free when it snows.

looking

how you rent condo or apetmen is it expensive

Post by looking » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:15 pm

bengal22 wrote:we go every january and now we see the same people at the condo and have a group that we hang with. it is so great to not have to shovel and instead we can walk the beach every morning. fantastic
so you rent condo and stay is it expensive and is it easy out of state, can rent condo

Boats day

Post by Boats day » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:07 am

We have been snowbirds for 7 years now in Kailua kona Hawaii. We had been renting but last year we took the plunge and bot a condo in the complex we had been renting. We stay for 6 months and then rent it out for short term vacations thru vrbo.

kazper

Post by kazper » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:45 am

Truly fascinating.

I study people who move, and you "Snowbirds" are a difficult group to capture!

As an aside, growing up in Michigan I know all about the yearly migration ;)

Gill

Post by Gill » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:47 am

Can you hear the loud "phewwwww" from those of us who live here all year? :happy
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:15 pm

We bought a little place in a 55+ park in 2011. It is in Estero FL, just south of Ft Myers. We stay 3 months. Just returned last night. We love the park and all it has to offer. Most of the parks residence are winter residents. Some are permanent.

Best wishes,

Lilly

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:42 pm

Lilly wrote:We bought a little place in a 55+ park in 2011. It is in Estero FL, just south of Ft Myers. We stay 3 months. Just returned last night. We love the park and all it has to offer. Most of the parks residence are winter residents. Some are permanent.

Best wishes,

Lilly
sounds great , is it a "mobile home" park ???

camptalcott

Post by camptalcott » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:10 pm

Great thread, this is exactly what I want to do. Next winter I'm going to try a few weeks in Florida. I'm not retired yet but I get 6 weeks of vacation plus I have 2 weeks bank. So the plan is to start investigating parts of fl that I may like. I've only been to Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale. I definitely know I've had it with long cold winters
"He who dies with the most toys is still, nonetheless dead"

island

Post by island » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:16 pm

What if you split your time equally between 2 states. Which one is considered your state of residency? Can you prorate your state taxes, have to pay to both, if both have state tax?

NOLA

Post by NOLA » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:03 pm

We purchased a condo in Destin, FL a year ago and we rent it out through a management company. Always fun to hear about the experiences from all the "snowbirds". It's a great time to be in Florida and the beaches are beautiful.

PinotGris

Post by PinotGris » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:23 pm

Thank you for starting this thread. We are not genuine snowbirds, just mockbirds. We spent 6 weeks between palo alto and LA between Dec and jan. Our daughter moved there 3 years ago and we went through a phase of putting our house on the market and renting place near her. Did not work so well real estate is a bit crazy in CA and i was not ready to give up our home in MA.

We rented the place in LA through VRBO. It i could take my coffee and walk across to the strand. It was 10 mnts walk to our daughters's. It was pretty wonderful. It was a furnished one bed and fully equpid and quite comfortable. It was expensive.
A friend had a key and checked our house. We had snow removed and steps cleaned. Held the mail and stopped the paper. But we came back to the worst winter ever. Leaks in the ceiling, stains.

We plan 2 months next year and rent a car while there. We thought we could get by but we really need one. Join a gym. Do some meetups, have a life of our own. Good for us and good for our daughter.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:37 am

ubermax wrote:
Lilly wrote:We bought a little place in a 55+ park in 2011. It is in Estero FL, just south of Ft Myers. We stay 3 months. Just returned last night. We love the park and all it has to offer. Most of the parks residence are winter residents. Some are permanent.

Best wishes,

Lilly
sounds great , is it a "mobile home" park ???

ubermax, It is called Riverwoods Plantation. Check out riverwoods.com for more info. We have a park model with a large FL room. It is about 750 sq feet. We own the land that it sits on. Some folks have larger homes. There is a hoa fee of about $200 a month. It covers water, sewer, Comcast, lawn service, river front for boat launching into the gulf, gym, several sports including tennis, pickle ball, bocce ball, horse shoes, shuffle board, table tennis, volley ball, water volley ball, large heated swimming pool, yoga, line dancing, clogging, body pump, Reiki healing classes, quilting, dominoes, several different card games etc, etc. There are many more activities.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:54 am

chabil wrote:Thank you for starting this thread. We are not genuine snowbirds, just mockbirds. We spent 6 weeks between palo alto and LA between Dec and jan. Our daughter moved there 3 years ago and we went through a phase of putting our house on the market and renting place near her. Did not work so well real estate is a bit crazy in CA and i was not ready to give up our home in MA.

We rented the place in LA through VRBO. It i could take my coffee and walk across to the strand. It was 10 mnts walk to our daughters's. It was pretty wonderful. It was a furnished one bed and fully equpid and quite comfortable. It was expensive.
A friend had a key and checked our house. We had snow removed and steps cleaned. Held the mail and stopped the paper. But we came back to the worst winter ever. Leaks in the ceiling, stains.

We plan 2 months next year and rent a car while there. We thought we could get by but we really need one. Join a gym. Do some meetups, have a life of our own. Good for us and good for our daughter.
Hi Chabil,

My wife and I are interested in doing same thing as you in the LA area next winter. If you don't mind me asking;
What area did your rent in LA with VRBO? how long did you rent it for? how much (ball park $) do you think we have to spend to do what you did.

Thanks

bengal22

Re: how you rent condo or apetmen is it expensive

Post by bengal22 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:42 am

looking wrote:
so you rent condo and stay is it expensive and is it easy out of state, can rent condo
Yes we rent for 4 weeks. We found it on VRBO.com. We chose Fort Myers Beach because it is so far south and you have a better chance of warm weather(January). All in its about $120 a night but for us it is well worth it.

akblizzard

Post by akblizzard » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:19 pm

Pretty exiting thread I think. DW and I (almost retired) recently decided to visit AZ for 2 weeks in Dec 2015. It's usually around 0 degrees F at home during this time of year. We found a great place through VRBO (which I learned about thanks to Bogleheads) close to hiking trails and other stuff we like to do. Pretty exiting!

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:36 pm

akblizzard wrote:Pretty exiting thread I think. DW and I (almost retired) recently decided to visit AZ for 2 weeks in Dec 2015. It's usually around 0 degrees F at home during this time of year. We found a great place through VRBO (which I learned about thanks to Bogleheads) close to hiking trails and other stuff we like to do. Pretty exiting!
Yes, it is Exciting when you are Exiting the cold !!

Reubin

Post by Reubin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:45 pm

Just be careful. Water pipes can freeze and burst while you're tanning.
Last edited by Reubin on Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kolea

Post by kolea » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:05 pm

We are on our 3rd year of wintering in Maui, and summering in Washington state (Columbia River Gorge).

We have a house in each place. It gets complicated because of the need for vehicles in both places, doctors/dentist in both places, insurance, official residency, etc. We would forget what personal things are where and it was kind of a mess at first but we have a better system in place now. We take our dog back and forth with us, so it is a bunch of work and expense to do that. But I think the hardest part is with friends and relationships - only being in each place half the year means friendships change.

We love doing this but think we will only do it 2 more years, and will then live in Maui year around. We have a bunch of fruit trees and huge garden that produces year around here; weather is mild and I love surfing. Downside is it is expensive.
Kolea (pron. ko-lay-uh). Golden plover.

PinotGris

Post by PinotGris » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:38 pm

Will do good wrote:
chabil wrote:Thank you for starting this thread. We are not genuine snowbirds, just mockbirds. We spent 6 weeks between palo alto and LA between Dec and jan. Our daughter moved there 3 years ago and we went through a phase of putting our house on the market and renting place near her. Did not work so well real estate is a bit crazy in CA and i was not ready to give up our home in MA.

Hi Chabil,

My wife and I are interested in doing same thing as you in the LA area next winter. If you don't mind me asking;
What area did your rent in LA with VRBO? how long did you rent it for? how much (ball park $) do you think we have to spend to do what you did.

Thanks
Westayed in Manhattan Beach on Ocean Drive. It worked out 1000/ week. It is a walkable town so you can just rent a car for the day if you want but car rentals are cheaper in LA than where we live. You will love it.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:46 am

Last winter, I was a snowbird in Arizona for two months - January and February.

This year, I am a snowbird for 12 months. We liked it so much that we decided to stay.

If you do travel from the Midwest, you must have someone to watch your house when you are gone, especially in the winter. That was my motivation for selling the house in IL. No more worries about the weather.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:23 am

ubermax wrote:
Thanks.
+1 Great question - the ideal is to have family nearby that you can leave a key with - we live in a condo in CT and don't have family nearby and so we set the security system , left the thermostat at 60 degrees , stopped mail and newspaper, put a few lights on timers and then left a key with our next door neighbor when we went to SC for March - it worked out OK but it's not the same as leaving a key with a clone of yourself if you know what I mean .

Just before we left , several sections of our roof were raked to minimize ice dam problems - a day after leaving our alarm system went off , apparently a door opened by itself , hmmmm ?? and then again when the power went dead - local police dispatched both times - asked our neighbor to check things out after two weeks and she reported some water spots on the kitchen ceiling and discolored ceiling tiles in a lower level office - we started feeling on edge and came home a week early.

Otherwise the condo was in good shape and nothing was amiss and we learned from the experience , e.g. deadbolt that particular door :happy ; not sure if we'll recruit that same neighbor next year , we might ask out daughter and SIL to drive down from Boston every couple weeks but DW doesn't want to impose on them :annoyed .

Again Island , a good question and I'd also like to hear from others regarding what they do .
One possibility w Daughter and Son in Law is to make it a commercial arrangement.

Figure out what it would cost to have a professional homeminder do it, and pay them that + gasoline.

Now that can be a bad idea in family relationships, an alternative is perhaps to give them something of value eg a week in Florida in mid winter (flights and accomodation) for their trouble.

Your wife is very right re imposition: trust her intuition on this one. The way families get back at their parents is not to see them as much, not as much time with grandkids etc. If you ask the question of Daughter, you want her to feel she is in the position to say 'no'. And avoid anything that forces her to choose between her desires/ sense of obligation and your Son In Law. Believe me, if she chooses you she will regret it, and she will tend to choose him.

Looking at my family, the sibling who is in the position to do this has so many commitments (job, teenager) that I am amazed he ever surfaces, let alone ever makes it down to see my Mum.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:01 am

island wrote:What if you split your time equally between 2 states. Which one is considered your state of residency? Can you prorate your state taxes, have to pay to both, if both have state tax?
I think the strategy is to stay 6 months and 1 day in Florida so you do not pay state tax. That is legal. Just get your drivers license there and call it your primary home.

Gill

Post by Gill » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:18 am

bengal22 wrote:
island wrote:What if you split your time equally between 2 states. Which one is considered your state of residency? Can you prorate your state taxes, have to pay to both, if both have state tax?
I think the strategy is to stay 6 months and 1 day in Florida so you do not pay state tax. That is legal. Just get your drivers license there and call it your primary home.
You better do more than just stay for six months and get a Florida driver's license. The Northern states are very aggressive on this subject and this might just not work.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

kolea

Post by kolea » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:08 pm

The idea of "residency" is different depending on whether you are talking about taxes, voting, insurance, driver's license, etc. There is no single definition that I am aware of.

For taxes - we spend time in Hawaii, and the requirement here is if you reside within the state 200 or more days per year, you have to file a tax return. There is no provision I am aware of for pro-rating taxes. Our other state dos not have an income tax so is not a problem. But you need to check each state that you live in - they each will have their own views on who must file.

Insurance - Our insurance provider is based in one state, but we spend more time in the other state. I know insurance companies base their rates on the state they exist in, so using out-of-state doctors may at some point prompt them to not let you use them out-of-state.

Mail is another issue - we keep one permanent address in one state and that is where all our mail goes to. Because we are gone from there for half a year, everything gets forwarded to our other residence. It takes a while and some things get lost (like magazines).

Voting - my wife votes in one state we live in, I vote in the other. Go figure.

Gill

Post by Gill » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:06 pm

TwoByFour wrote:The idea of "residency" is different depending on whether you are talking about taxes, voting, insurance, driver's license, etc. There is no single definition that I am aware of.
The key word in this discussion is "domicile" which is the state in which you intend to make your permanent home. You can be a resident of many states but only be domiciled in one. If you don't make the new state your domicile you will remain domiciled in your former state and be taxed by that state.
Gill

Hug401k

Post by Hug401k » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:44 pm

Does anyone head to a new place each winter? I'd like to spend 2 months discovering a new warm place each year.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:58 pm

Hug401k wrote:Does anyone head to a new place each winter? I'd like to spend 2 months discovering a new warm place each year.
Great question and the reason we never bought a second home in a warmer latitude ; with 3 grandchildren in Vegas and 2 on the East coast we can escape to the desert for a period and also be near the ocean , our preference, during other times - each time we rent a condo , have flexibility , and feel that we can rent for a long time for the money saved by not buying :happy

kolea

Post by kolea » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:27 pm

Gill wrote:
TwoByFour wrote:The idea of "residency" is different depending on whether you are talking about taxes, voting, insurance, driver's license, etc. There is no single definition that I am aware of.
The key word in this discussion is "domicile" which is the state in which you intend to make your permanent home. You can be a resident of many states but only be domiciled in one. If you don't make the new state your domicile you will remain domiciled in your former state and be taxed by that state.
Gill
Where, or to whom, do you declare your domicile state? The State of Hawaii doesn't care what state we say our permanent address is - their only issue is how long we use state resources (roads, etc.) every year. I have friends who live in Washington state but work in Portland, Oregon. They have to pay Oregon income tax. So "domicile", whatever that is, does not always determine where you are taxed.