Flash Drive Data Recovery

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ubermax

Flash Drive Data Recovery

Post by ubermax »

Is it possible ? has anyone done it or had it done and where ? cost ?
tnbison

Re: Flash Drive Data Recovery

Post by tnbison »

Just getting in on the thread. I have a flash drive that I believe is starting to fail so it is backed up elsewhere, but would really like to know how to get the info off if I didn't have a backup
dmcmahon

Post by dmcmahon »

When mine failed, it was still readable, just not writable. Unfortunately Windows insists on trying to write something to it whenever it's mounted. Fortunately Linux does not, so I was able to copy it off without losing anything.
Topic Author
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

OP here , not all of the data disappeared suddenly , just some - I immediately copied the remaining to my hard drive .

I appreciate the responses from those above and I know that I should have backed up the data beforehand but I'm looking for responses from those who didn't have a backup and were able to recover the data .
wilshuer

Post by wilshuer »

Here's a link with some resources http://www.computerworld.com/article/25 ... -more.html

A few years ago I used the first one mentioned, I believe at that time it was about half the cost. The preview version lets you see what you can recover for free, then decide to pay for license to actually recover. It worked very well to recover a few 100 photos from a vacation, I didn't back them up upon return home and when looking a few months later nothing could be seen on the drive. From my best estimation on file names all but 2-3 were recovered. Note the first one in the article is only for photos.

Expect to pay something for worthwhile software. I would limit to those that offer a free 'preview' of what the software could recover. I believe I went though about 4-5 that could not recover anything until I found the one above.
Topic Author
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

wilshuer wrote:Here's a link with some resources http://www.computerworld.com/article/25 ... -more.html

A few years ago I used the first one mentioned, I believe at that time it was about half the cost. The preview version lets you see what you can recover for free, then decide to pay for license to actually recover. It worked very well to recover a few 100 photos from a vacation, I didn't back them up upon return home and when looking a few months later nothing could be seen on the drive. From my best estimation on file names all but 2-3 were recovered. Note the first one in the article is only for photos.

Expect to pay something for worthwhile software. I would limit to those that offer a free 'preview' of what the software could recover. I believe I went though about 4-5 that could not recover anything until I found the one above.

thanks Wilshuer , a few moments ago I called our local Microsoft retail store - for $150 they would use Seagate software and try a recovery & money back if they fail , I may try that route but your link gives me more firepower in reserve .