Fish from Costco?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dbCooperAir

Fish from Costco?

Post by dbCooperAir » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:43 am

I know we have a fair number of Costco supporters here as well as people who try to eat healthy.

My freezer is empty of fish, I prefer to catch my own fish but I must be becoming a little lazy!

My family is used to what I would call a more mild flavored fish, typically will catch and clean up Walleye's, Sun Fish and Crappies. The family will eat an occasional Northern (I typically don't fish for them), maybe a Bass early in the spring.

What would be some good fish fillets (not breaded) to pick up from Costco that you have enjoyed, mild flavored with some heath benefits?

They seem to have a fair variety to chose from, just not any names I truly recognize.

Thanks
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

poker27

Re: Fish from Costco?

Post by poker27 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:05 am

I'm a big fan of Costco's salmon (not sure if that is mild flavored). You of course get a big piece of fish, depending on the size of your family, it should feed them all. My Costco's have a weekly 'road show' with lobsters, scallops, and crab legs, I think the quality is good and prices are decent.

I've tried their walleye before, and it was just meh for me.

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:08 am

poker27 wrote:I'm a big fan of Costco's salmon (not sure if that is mild flavored). You of course get a big piece of fish, depending on the size of your family, it should feed them all. My Costco's have a weekly 'road show' with lobsters, scallops, and crab legs, I think the quality is good and prices are decent.

I've tried their walleye before, and it was just meh for me.
I never have seen Walleye at Costco before. Salmon would be to fishy for my family, I do enjoy a piece every now and then.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:32 am

Their Frozen Mahi- Mahi Fillets are very good!

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:43 am

If you want mild, get some Tilapia.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:15 pm

I regularly get the following frozen fish from Costco:
1. Wild Alaska Salmonburgers
2. Hake fillets
3 (occasionally) Tilapia
4. (occasionally) other fillets/etc, when the price is right

investnoob

Post by investnoob » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:30 pm

Something mild - maybe halibut, tilapia or some snapper. It has been a while since I've had halibut, but from what I remember it is fairly mild.

You could also try sole.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:41 pm

We eat a lot of Tilapia which I think if very similar to sunfish. I don't shop at Costco but where we get them you can buy them in large bags and they are individually wrapped so you can thaw out as many as you need.

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:31 pm

I have seen both fresh and frozen Tilapia at Costco, I will pick some up tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:42 pm

The frozen Halibut from Costco is a good, mild fish that I have tried. Expensive, though.
Some people are immune to good advice. - Saul Goodman

knowsnothing

Post by knowsnothing » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:09 pm

I regularly buy the salmon as well - and scallops from time to time. Not 'cheap' but reasonably priced.

sport

Post by sport » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:13 pm

Costco has both fresh and frozen fish located in different parts of the store. If you don't find what you want in one of those departments, be sure to check the other one.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:39 pm

For health benefits, try Barramundi. Has the benefits of salmon with a milder flavor. Costco has decent frozen. Costco also has pretty good cod.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

CoAndy

Post by CoAndy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:41 pm

I think tilapia is the mildest. You might also go for swordfish and halibut. Cod filets make great fish sandwiches.

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:44 pm

WhyNotUs wrote:For health benefits, try Barramundi. Has the benefits of salmon with a milder flavor. Costco has decent frozen. Costco also has pretty good cod.
Your Costco carries Barramundi? ..... Where may I ask, is this Costco?

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:55 pm

Are any of their fresh or frozen fish selections not from China?

island

Post by island » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Salmon is too fishy and oily tasting for me. Have had great Alaskan halibut and ahi from Costco, both mild for my taste, but haven't tried frozen. Great big tasty scallops too.

Used to get frozen filets of different fish from Trader Joe's that were good, but haven't been in awhile.

Wonder how the Costco fish selection varies in different parts of the country. We're in S. Cal

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:22 pm

island wrote:Salmon is too fishy and oily tasting for me.
You have not eaten it fresh then. And probably you had Farm Raised Atlantic Salmon. There are 5 species of Pacific Salmon. All taste different.

island

Post by island » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:50 pm

BahamaMan wrote:
island wrote:Salmon is too fishy and oily tasting for me.
You have not eaten it fresh then. And probably you had Farm Raised Atlantic Salmon. There are 5 species of Pacific Salmon. All taste different.
I have, several times, and I don't like it. All taste different, but all (people) have different tastes and salmon is not for me.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:07 pm

In Buffalo, we only eat haddock.
All the Best, | Joe

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:25 pm

island wrote:I have, several times, and I don't like it. All taste different, but all (people) have different tastes and salmon is not for me.
OK, that's fine...But if it's 'too fishy', it's not fresh!

island

Post by island » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:16 pm

BahamaMan wrote:
island wrote:I have, several times, and I don't like it. All taste different, but all (people) have different tastes and salmon is not for me.
OK, that's fine...But if it's 'too fishy', it's not fresh!
You don't think some are more mild in flavor than others? Sheesh.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:40 pm

Which salmon from Costco are we all talking about? There are several options, and it would be important on this post to indicate which. I had their farm raised on Sunday as a sample, and while I don't think they cooked it well, it still didn't seem to be a very good option. Their salmon burgers taste great, and I have some reservations about the wild Alaskan salmon.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:12 am

Tuna steaks are delicious. - sear both sides. Undercook is better than overcooking because the meat gets drier.
Halibut has finer meat. Harder to sear because of the higher fat content and because they are normally fillets rather than a steak cut.
:mrgreen:
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

rayout

Post by rayout » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:37 am

Don't more oily and thus "fishier" fish have the most Omega-3 content? Most mild fish are going to be on the lower end of the Omega-3 content spectrum. Although I can understand not everyone enjoys pickeled herring/mackrel as much as I do :)

mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:25 am

We got some frozen lemon pepper cod last week at Costco. It had a butter coating, served 6, and was very good. We baked it in the oven according to instructions. We also enjoy the frozen shrimp scampi, especially when fresh spinach and fresh tomato is added...serve with angel hair pasta. We prefer the wild salmon to farmed...usually poach it in white wine until done. Their King crab legs are delicious but only offered at ours around holidays.

Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:38 am

I can promise you the Kirkland branded canned tuna is a choicer quality than the cannery's own branded label (a top 3 brand). I've seen it come off the line, and from the lips of the Director of Operations at the cannery. It's something Costco negotiated after giving the cannery exclusive rights to supply the Kirkland brand.

RDB

Post by RDB » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:55 am

I thought their frozen Halibut was very good.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:35 pm

My understanding is that tilapia are fed manure.

I believe wild salmon consumer smaller fish.

I prefer wild salmon, but more so for flavor and nutrient profile.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Unless you live in Seattle for halibut or Sydney for barramundi, Costco's flash frozen vacuum packed fish portions are superior to "fresh" fish 99% of the time. We buy their halibut, Atlantic cod, barramundi, mahi-mahi, farm raised Atlantic salmon, marinated Alaskan salmon, sockeye salmon, and gulf shrimp. In fact we buy 100% of our fish from Costco. We do buy mussels, clams and oysters locally, but they are still alive when we get them, which guarantees freshness.

Our local supermarket had some "fresh" jumbo shrimp a while back. I ordered a pound, and as the clerk was weighing them out I could smell them from six feet away. I cancelled that order pronto.

chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:26 pm

The fresh salmon from Costco is great.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:24 am

I prefer the taste of Costco's steelhead, farm raised though it might be, to their wild-caught salmon.

And those big scallops are to die for!

Para45

Post by Para45 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:19 am

Wild caught salmon for health benefits. Lots of ways to cook,bake, broil to suit your taste.
My choice would be the Atlantic cod , better than any tilapia. The cod will take on any spice flavor you choose.

scotthew

Post by scotthew » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:33 am

I'm probably the minority here, but more than willing to part with my hard earned cash to get fresh wild seafood from Wegman's or Whole Foods any day over farmed stuff. Also, my small children actually like the pinker wild salmon better than the farmed, but I wouldn't let that drive my decision. They also like squid, bluefish and brussel sprouts. It's amazing what you can get kids to eat! Unfortunately, they still like cake and doughnuts :annoyed

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:12 pm

Costco frozen tilapia filets (extremely mild) or frozen wild Pacific salmon (more flavor, pricy) individually wrapped in bags - both excellent. Place frozen filet on tray sprayed with Pam, spray filet with Pam, sprinkle favorite spices such as Emeril's, bake at 400 degrees for about 27 to 28 minutes in a small toaster oven. Prepare sides while fish cooks. A relatively quick tasty dinner. I've had much better luck with the Costco frozen fish that fresh fish (sometimes is fishy) from the local stores.

... Fletch
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:57 am

We buy both their frozen wild Halibut fillets (very good) and wild Alaska salmon fillets.

SamB

Post by SamB » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:04 am

I usually buy the wild caught, frozen cod and salmon. I know that there is a nutritional debate about the farm raised versus wild, and of course politics gets into it, but the reason I like the wild caught is the texture and firmness of the fish. It may be better nutritionally or it may be worse, but that is my preference.

I don't know what "eating healthy" has to do with Costco. I could eat just as healthy in Walmart. Either way, I have to avoid about 80% of what is being sold.

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:07 pm

OP here,

Just cooked up some Costco frozen Tilapia filets tonight, they were very good, the whole family ate them. I sprayed a little PAM on them, tossed some seasoning one then blackened them in the fry pan (outside)

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:53 pm

and of course politics gets into it
On what basis do you see "politics" in this salmon issue/discussion/debate? I see it as a health/nutrition (and related issues) matter.

dewey

Post by dewey » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:51 pm

Costco fresh wild cod has been consistently excellent to our tastes over the years. Their wild salmon--almost all varieties--have been very good too. Naturally we like it when they get Copper River (any variety) early in the season. Cod is known as the poor man's lobster. Very versatile--fried, baked, broiled, steamed, all good since it's a quite neutral tasting fish. Their frozen wild shrimp has been some of the best shrimp we've had, period. To answer the original question, we've been quite pleased with Costo fish. We simply avoid farmed.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:04 am

If you prefer mild, try this next time you're in Costco.

SamB

Post by SamB » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:36 am

dm200 wrote:
On what basis do you see "politics" in this salmon issue/discussion/debate? I see it as a health/nutrition (and related issues) matter.
Just start digging. Food is one of the most political issues out there. Nutrition, health, medical issues are very intertwined with politics, finance, and economics. Real science hardly ever gets into the picture. In fact, you could probably learn more about staying healthy just be following the money, then anything else.

If you want to separate yourself from all of this, just start your own vegetable garden, raise your own animals, and go fishing. For the rest of us, you are stuck with following the money, and trying to decipher the implications.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:56 am

Another Costco favorite.

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:50 am

Thanks Bustoff, I will give those a whirl. The bag is not huge so if the rest of family does not like it I can make my way thru it.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:45 pm

SamB wrote:
dm200 wrote:
Just start digging. Food is one of the most political issues out there. Nutrition, health, medical issues are very intertwined with politics, finance, and economics. Real science hardly ever gets into the picture. In fact, you could probably learn more about staying healthy just be following the money, then anything else.

If you want to separate yourself from all of this, just start your own vegetable garden, raise your own animals, and go fishing. For the rest of us, you are stuck with following the money, and trying to decipher the implications.
To the best of my ability, I make great efforts to rely on, what I believe at least, is real science - and then incorporate/adapt that to my own situation. In my opinion, I am fairly confident that I have done, and am doing, that.

lisajuly

Post by lisajuly » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:08 pm

BahamaMan wrote:Their Frozen Mahi- Mahi Fillets are very good!
wondering if i got mahimahi that went bad. very fishy bad smell. terrible. will return but unsure whether to try again.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:56 pm

We usually buy the salmon then cut it up into meal size portions, vacuum seal it (another toy from Costco), then date and freeze it. My only wish is that they sold it skin-on. I like to grill it, skin side down and also eat the crispy skin.

Recently they were tasting the tortilla crusted tilapia (frozen). Bought some and everybody in the family liked it. I think it would also make good fish tacos with some Criola sauce. Mmmm.....

JoinToday

Post by JoinToday » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:33 pm

dcabler wrote:We usually buy the salmon then cut it up into meal size portions, vacuum seal it (another toy from Costco), then date and freeze it. My only wish is that they sold it skin-on. I like to grill it, skin side down and also eat the crispy skin. .....
The lack of skin is why I don't buy Costco fresh (or defrosted) salmon. The skin really helps keep the salmon moist. Butter, garlic, dill on top, cook in the BBQ. But I don't eat the skin... may have to try it next time. Is that an Asian thing, eating the skin?

When I was young growing up in socal, we ate fish sticks, breaded shrimp, and occasionally breaded fish fillets. And fish & chips once in a while. Times have changed, the quality of fish that you can buy in the store is much better than what you could get 50-60 yrs ago.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago

bstevlin

Post by bstevlin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:29 am

Carl53 wrote:Are any of their fresh or frozen fish selections not from China?
The Salmon is from Russia. I would not eat Talapia unless it is from the USA. I will not eat shrimp unless it is gulf shrimp. Be aware that most ocean fish can and do contain mercury. I will eat Alaskan salmon, Walleye from Canada, and other Alaskan fish. I eat sparing amounts of line caught Tuna.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:22 am

Based on your handle, you may be in my neck of the woods; Costco fish seems to vary by region (and by that I mean selection and not quality). In the West, their fresh fish is sensational -- the best I can get anywhere. No odor whatsoever when you puncture the plastic wrap on one of their blue plastic trays. We love their salmon (wild; we don't get their farmed but that looks beautiful, too) and halibut. We know and love salmon and have gotten wild Coho and Sockeye there more times than I can count and have never been anything less than delighted with the quality and price. Of course you need to plan ahead -- they're all three pounds and up.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"