Savannah

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TCP

Savannah

Post by TCP » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:05 pm

My wife and I are going to Savannah GA, sans children, for a 4 day getaway. We are doing a food tour and a ghost tour. Would love suggestions on anything and everything. We already have a place to stay in a B&B that is booked. (Don't remember the name) so places to stay not needed. Anyone have favorite restaurants, segway tour, specific ghost tour, fun things to do while in town. We are late 30's early 40's and active so could do walking tours but this is supposed to be a relaxing and romantic trip so nothing too taxing. Appreciate everyone's input.

climber2020

Re: Savannah

Post by climber2020 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:18 pm

We did a ghost tour with a guy named Tobias. It was excellent. I think the name of the company he works through is Blue Orb.

A good meal we had there was at the Olde Pink House. Very interesting setting and good food. There's a piano bar in the basement underneath the restaurant that we enjoyed after eating.

Tybee Island is also a nice day trip visit from Savannah if you have the time.

dalexa1010

Post by dalexa1010 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Cathedral of John the Baptist (Free)
St. Bonaventure Cemetery (Free and you could spend hours in there)

Leopold's Ice Cream (Truly EPIC)
Three Sisters (Soul Food and Cheap)

ILnative

Post by ILnative » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:41 pm

Noble Fare is our favorite restaurant.

The Juliette Gordon Low house was also a favorite - she was a fascinating person - ahead of her time.

We did a "Midnight in the Garden..." walking tour which was quite good.

Quotia

Post by Quotia » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:51 pm

It's been a few years since I was last in Savannah, but I especially enjoyed Local 11 Ten and Leoci's.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:04 pm

If you are up for a drive, I would recommend checking out Charleston, which is a bit under 2 hours away. We went to Charleston last year and wish we made the drive to Savannah to say we went. If your into good meals, Charleston was absolutely amazing. It was kind of odd finding such good food in such a small town.

I'm looking forward to a trip like this again, but would split up my time between both cities as I get bored easily :)

RmeHyd8tion11

Post by RmeHyd8tion11 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:37 pm

I recommend Cohen's Retreat as a great place to go for a fancier meal. My wife and I have tried a lot of the upscale places (Pink House, Elizabeth on 37th, Vics...) after living in Savannah for three years and Cohen's was our favorite. Plus, I think Cohen's is somewhat off the typical tourist list of top places to go.

gwe67

Post by gwe67 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:03 pm

Barracuda Bob's was great last summer.

http://www.10best.com/destinations/geor ... bar-grill/
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads

Swampy

Post by Swampy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:42 pm

Be prepared to do a lot of walking, it'll be fun.

Visit Fort Jackson and Fort Pulaski (named for Casimir Pulaski, KIA in Savannah 1779 and buried in Monterrey Square) on the short side trip to Tybee Island.

The parks, squares and cemeteries are an utter treasure trove of history, including Forsyth Park, Lafayette Square and Colonial Park Cemetery.

The food at the Paula Deen restaurant, Lady and Sons, was not particularly impressive. Chippewa Square had the bus bench scene in Forrest Gump, but the bench (a movie prop) is not there anymore.

The riverfront stroll is interesting, but touristy and watch out for offering 'gifts,' they're not. If a 'tall ship' boat is in, maybe you can tour it and buy some stuff.

Hilton Head Island is an hour away, if desired...but watch for speed traps in Bluffton. Chances are you'll easily be fully occupied in Savannah the whole time.

Not necessarily the safest place to visit. A few months ago there was a spate of shootings in Savannah.
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. | Failure is not an option. | If I have seen further, it is because I was carried on the shoulders of giants.

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Elizabeth on 37th. Terrific low country fare.

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:29 pm

The Olde Pink House will provide for a delicious and memorable meal while the bar in the basement will make for a fun night cap.

Also head out toward Tybee Island before sunset and just pull over in the middle of nowhere to take the view in over the water. It's breathtaking.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:07 pm

I lived in Savannah for 2 years. Elizabeth on 37th is an absolute must, but it can be difficult to get reservations. It's expensive, but worth it for a great dining experience.

Mrs. Wilkes is also a great place for lunch. The line starts early, so get there early or you may not be seated. By early I mean 60-90 minutes before they open. Look for the line that will have already formed by then.

Be sure to take a stroll down River St. Lots of shops, restaurants, etc. Forsyth Park is home of the famous fountain featured in many movies.

There's so much to see in Savannah that 4 days will only leave you thirsty for more.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:21 pm

jimday1982 wrote:The Olde Pink House will provide for a delicious and memorable meal while the bar in the basement will make for a fun night cap.
We have been to Savannah several times and are going back in April. Another vote for the pink house. Great eats, just make your reservations early. If you like low country boil the crab shack was pretty good. Not spectacular but it was the best boil I could find. My favorite tour (adults only) is the creepy crawl haunted pub tour. It HAS to be the guy with the Bostonian accent giving the tour though, otherwise it's not nearly as good. He may not be with the company anymore idk, but if he is then that is the tour you want if you like good times involving alcohol. Unintentional comedy off the charts! It's great. You get to enjoy strolling the streets with a drink, visiting the historic buildings, and hearing about the history of the city. Plus, I thoroughly enjoy snickering at those who are way too into the whole ghost thing. You know exactly what I mean. This year with the wife being pregnant the pub tour is out and we are going to try a food tour instead. Never tried it, but it's highly recommended so we're going to give it a go. We are also going to wait for the already mentioned Mrs.Wilkes. Other than those tours, we enjoy walking around the historic district. It's a great walking city. One last thing I can recommend, if you like history, the Bonavue cemetary is worth a trip. The live oaks, and art work there are impressive. If you want beach- Tybee island is right there. Perhaps a little too red for my taste but it's a beautiful beach.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:21 am

I visited there a few years back. Old Pink House was our favorite restaurant. I enjoyed just walking through all the squares and also walking along the waterfront (we love walking) but also a drive out to St. Bonaventure Cemetery's is well worthwhile - it is probably the most beautiful cemetery in the country with the old statue markers and spanish moss drooped trees. You can also tour the house from the book "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" but they don't like to talk about the book on the tour - as I recall we did a few house tours while there (more my Spouses thing than mine so I don't remember them). If you haven't read the book - I'd suggest doing if you plan on visiting the cemetery - there is an interesting gravesite mentioned in the book. At the time we where there the "Water Taxi" was free of charge (not sure if that is still the case) - so instead of paying for a river boat tour - we simply took the water taxi from one end of town to the other. There is a small train museum that is worth stopping in for 30 minutes if time allows.

magellan

Post by magellan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:51 am

DW and I enjoyed the architectural walking tour we took with this guy last year:
http://www.architecturalsavannah.com

BonesMcCoy

Post by BonesMcCoy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:23 pm

The Mercer-Williams House is pretty cool (from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil). And Forsyth Park across the street is great.

2cents2

Post by 2cents2 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:07 pm

My favorite fancy restaurant Alligator Soul (reservations recommended)
Casual dining:vinnie van go go's pizza (cash only) http://www.vinnievangogo.com/id1.html
Another vote for Leopold's ice cream
Casual lunch place: Papillote http://www.viewmenu.com/papillote/menu?ref=google
8th Air Force museum:
http://mightyeighth.org/visit/visit-us/

peppers

Post by peppers » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:08 pm

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=87511

Here are some suggestions from BH's when we visited Savannah a few years ago.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:05 pm

Yes, read the book before you go.....Midnight in the garden of good & evil.

4 days is a good amount if time to explore this city.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:17 pm

I'm going to come out and say it. The bird girl statue- supposedly an amazing work of art- profoundly disappointing. Not worth paying to see IMO.

amarone

Post by amarone » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:02 pm

If you do a walking tour, I suggest Savannah Dan. It is entertaining and not taxing.

And another recommendation for The Olde Pink House.

Topic Author
TCP

Post by TCP » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Thank you everyone for you recommendations. We are very excited and will not lack for entertainment thanks to all of my BH friends. :sharebeer

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:24 pm

Swampy wrote:Visit Fort Jackson and Fort Pulaski (named for Casimir Pulaski, KIA in Savannah 1779 and buried in Monterrey Square) on the short side trip to Tybee Island. . . . The parks, squares and cemeteries are an utter treasure trove of history, including Forsyth Park, Lafayette Square and Colonial Park Cemetery.
I agree that Savannah is a treasure trove of history and a beautiful place to walk and walk and walk. The azaleas should be coming into bloom :D
It's fascinating to learn about the history of the design of the city with its public squares and blocks.

Fort Jackson and Fort Pulaski are wonderful - history buff or not, with or without kids.
My kids were "oh no, not another Fort . . (moans, eye rolls) . ." but these Forts were so interesting and well preserved we were all enthralled.
Fort Jackson is from the Revolutionary War, the guide was in a Revolutionary War uniform, inducted my kids into the army, made them march around the fort, and shot off a real cannon with gun powder. For years, my kids would shout out, "Reeee-memmm-berrrrrr!! Keep your powder dry!"
Fort Pulaski is a Civil War Fort and you can see the other island where the Union soldiers hid before trying to take Fort Pulaski. The story of the Fort and how the commander's decisions saved his men and the town of Savannah is well presented.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:28 pm

TCP wrote:Thank you everyone for you recommendations. We are very excited and will not lack for entertainment thanks to all of my BH friends. :sharebeer
Have a good time! Post on the thread after to let us know how it goes. More interesting reading than arguments about bonds.

donmichael

Post by donmichael » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:45 pm

We lived in Savannah for 15 years - a great little town. My favorites are: The Mighty 8th Air Force Museum, Bonaventure Cemetery, the "Dolphin boat" tour (not expensive and a nice leisurely, scenic trip) and Wormsloe Plantation. A lot of good history at these sites. Stay away from Paula Deen's (Lady and Sons), it's way too touristy, expensive for what you get, and the food is only so-so southern style. I would recommend Mrs. Wilkes, but only if you have plenty of time for lunch and a big appetite!
Don

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:36 pm

poker27 wrote:If you are up for a drive, I would recommend checking out Charleston, which is a bit under 2 hours away. We went to Charleston last year and wish we made the drive to Savannah to say we went. If your into good meals, Charleston was absolutely amazing. It was kind of odd finding such good food in such a small town.

I'm looking forward to a trip like this again, but would split up my time between both cities as I get bored easily :)
Being a Charleston fan (been there half a dozen times, both before kids and with kids), there are a great number of things to do around that area, besides the fine dining. Historical sites, plantations, shopping, and so on. We have done the opposite, taking one day trips to Savannah a couple of times.

Another town you might want to take a side trip to if you head in the northernly direction is Beaufort, SC.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

merrymonk19530

Post by merrymonk19530 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:30 am

We loved the Crystal Beer Parlor, our B&B owners kept trying to steer us to restaurants like the Pink Lady, Vic's on the River; etc. Places where they will get comped if you let them make the reservations. The free bus driver told us about the Crystal Beer Parlor.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Just got back yesterday. A few new things we did this trip in the historic district that I would recommend:

Lulus Chocolate Bar- Amazing desserts. The concept is that it's a dessert place as well as a bar with multiple sugary drink options like chocolate Martinis, beer floats ect. I had a beer float with the chocolate stout and flourless chocolate cake. Sooooo good. Popular with bachelorette parties as you can imagine. But not a super young/trendy vibe I don't think anyone would feel out of place.

In Vino Veritas- a pleasant little wine bar. 25 wines on tap. Reasonably priced - make your own 3 glass flight for only $10! No patio though. Good place for an evening drink or three. Broad wine and craft beer selection. They don't serve food

Collins Quarter- Nice outdoor seating area to have a drink and people watch. Was very popular. Moderately priced. European vibe. Meaning don't expect expedient service. Relaxed atmosphere.

Alligator Soul- It's in the basement of an old building. Definitely had a unique feel to it. All food was delicious. Started with the oyster appetizer. They're covered in all sorts of southern goodness. I had the rabbit jambalaya. I'm not even super crazy about jambalaya and I ate it all. Wife had pheasant which was one of their rotating exotic game options. Also very good. Oyster app and two entres + one glass of wine (no dessert) just over $100 with tip.

Olde pink house- good as always.

Taste of savannah food tour- can't recommend it unfortunately. Just did not like the food stops. We were somewhat disappointed.

Topic Author
TCP

Post by TCP » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:14 pm

Got back from a wonderful trip to Savannah and wanted to thank everyone again for their recommendations. We stayed at a lovely B&B called the Savannah Bed and Breakfast Inn, located on Chatham Square, a block from Forsyth Park. It was great, charming, clean, safe, and walkable to everywhere. We hit up Jazz'd Tapas bar the first night, it was excellent. The chorizo sliders and tuna sashimi were divine. We did a food tour the next day and had samples at several different restaurants, all very good. I didn't write any of this stuff down and my memory isn't good with names so forgive me if you are looking for details. The conquistador sandwich at Zunzi's was delicious! We did not wait in line for Mrs. Wilkes but we did see it, wow! Must be good food. We didn't make it to the Old Pink House either (had to give ourselves good reason to go back!) but we did eat at Noble Fare, and it was great. Also regret not checking out Leopold's until day 3, so I was limited to only 2 milkshakes during our trip. Six Pence Pub had great Shepherd's Pie. We enjoyed a night at the Crystal Beer Parlor but really enjoyed, Pinkie Masters, a total local dive bar. We had a wonderful trip and a great time, thanks to everyone for your recommendations. The B&B was paid for as a Christmas gift and the plane tickets were paid for with miles, so it was an extra enjoyable trip!