Laptop: Windows based vs. Apple

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
davebo

Laptop: Windows based vs. Apple

Post by davebo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:12 pm

I've been on the fence with purchasing an Apple laptop for a few years now and am at the point where I'll either purchase another windows-based laptop or make the leap. The last laptop I had was a Dell and it was purchased for like $700 and has lasted almost 5 years at this point. I am already deep into the Apple ecosystem....we have iphones, ipads, we use apple tv, and our music/movies are all purchased through itunes. I've heard that having a macbook will make everything much more seamless i.e. managing photos, videos, music, movies, etc.

What are your thoughts? The thing that throws me a little bit is how little storage you get with an Apple vs. windows based desktop. The answer you hear is "Well, you should store that in the cloud or on an external drive anyways", but it does seem strange how much bigger the price is.

What are your thoughts?

ieee488

Re: Laptop: Windows based vs. Apple

Post by ieee488 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:16 pm

There are already many discussions on this topic.

It generally degenerates into arguments which convinces no one.

Just do what you want to do.
The thing that throws me a little bit is how little storage you get with an Apple vs. windows based desktop. The answer you hear is "Well, you should store that in the cloud or on an external drive anyways", but it does seem strange how much bigger the price is.
You are paying for the Apple cachet. It is that simple.
Last edited by ieee488 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

Stonebr

Post by Stonebr » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:19 pm

I don't use a lot of storage. I hate clutter in the house and in the computer.

For me the flash storage of Macbook Air is perfect. Powering up the Mac takes only a few seconds. With the Windows machine I used to use at work, I could drink a mug of coffee in the time it took to boot up in the morning.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Stonebr wrote: Powering up the Mac takes only a few seconds. With the Windows machine I used to use at work, I could drink a mug of coffee in the time it took to boot up in the morning.
My Windows 7 Pro work laptop boots up in seconds as well.
The specs i7-4610M CPU, 8 GB of RAM.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:24 pm

When I am looking at computer-related products and and trying to make a decision between a few, I always use Mobile Tech Review for a comparison. I have always been able to find the comparison I am looking for. Lisa just made a video a few days ago of the 13" MacBook Pro Retina Display (Early 2015) vs. Dell XPS 13 (2015) Comparison. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFL-zA6 ... ubs_digest

She seems close to as objective as you can get. She also has videos showing you her own set ups, and it's clear she uses both Apple and Windows products.

Post by 123 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:27 pm

I'm essentially a Windows fan but the one thing I have observed over many years is that it's not unusual to hear a Windows user curse their computer but I don't think I've ever heard an Apple person curse their device.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Topic Author
davebo

Post by davebo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:30 pm

ieee488 wrote:There are already many discussions on this topic.

It generally degenerates into arguments which convinces no one.

Just do what you want to do.
The thing that throws me a little bit is how little storage you get with an Apple vs. windows based desktop. The answer you hear is "Well, you should store that in the cloud or on an external drive anyways", but it does seem strange how much bigger the price is.
You are paying for the Apple cachet. It is that simple.
Eh, I don't think it's as simple as "you are paying for the Apple cachet". There is some apple premium built in, but it's not the entire reason for the higher price...that's a little simplistic for me.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:31 pm

I switched to Macbook Pro last year and really love it. I bought the base Macbook Pro which comes with 500GB HD, 4GB RAM and an optical drive. It's not as light as the MacBook Pros with Retina or Macbook Air but it's the last model that allows for user upgrades. I immediately upgraded the RAM to 16GB ($120) and swapped out the hard drive to a 1TB SSHD ($77). SSD's at this capacity are still pretty expensive. This gives me the ability to run virtual machines in vmware fusion or Oracle Virtual Box. I have a windows 7 virtual machine so I can run TaxAct and Quickbooks 2009 that I cannot run directly on a Mac.

The base macbook pro is $1099 but I got mine on sale for $899 last summer when there was a sales tax holiday in Louisiana. I bought another one around Black Friday from Bestbuy also for $899.

If you or your any family members are in school or maybe teach in school, you may be able to get educational pricing on mac hardware. For example, the base macbook pro is $1099 but educational price is $999:

Regular prices for Macbook Pros:
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Educational prices for Macbook Pros:
http://store.apple.com/us-hed/buy-mac/macbook-pro
Last edited by DSInvestor on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:34 pm

123 wrote:I'm essentially a Windows fan but the one thing I have observed over many years is that it's not unusual to hear a Windows user curse their computer but I don't think I've ever heard an Apple person curse their device.
There's that. But it doesn't mean Apples don't have curse worthy problems, it just means Apple users accept them without cursing. Maybe its worth paying for the sang froid.

As tech support I have certainly cursed my share of Apples.

TFinator

Post by TFinator » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:38 pm

This is asked probably once a month on this forum. Do a search for some good answers.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:59 pm

I own both a 13" Macbook pro running Yosemite and a 13" HP running Win 7. Both are wonderful laptops and have solid state hard drives. The HP came with a lot of crapware I had to remove, the Apple had none. The Apple was twice the cost of the HP but had better specs, back lit keys, core I7, 8GB RAM, 512 ssd vs no back lit keys, core I3, 4 GB RAM, 128 ssd. I updated the HP's RAM to 12GB cheaply, the Apple's RAM is soldered in. In April, Apple launches a new 12" Macbook, only 2 lbs, looks very nice but only has one port, a USB-C used for power, $79 adapter can be had for USB-3, HDMI and additional USB-C. Not for everybody though, too few ports for my liking and a too low powered Broadwell mobile CPU for its retina display. Very beautiful machine otherwise. If I wanted to go Apple I would look at 13" factory refurbished Macbook air from Apple or brand new one from B&H photo. Solid state drive is a requirement for any laptop IMO. On the Windows platform, any Win 7 or Win 8 machine will qualify for a free Win 10 upgrade later this year.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

leod

Post by leod » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:25 pm

it all depends on your needs.

I always buy Thinkpads and did a comparison with similar specs as a Macbook and the price difference is not big and I was a bit surprised. Although most of my work needs are still Windows/*Nix based, home has majority of ios devices so they want a MacAir next.

The big difference is warranty. I used apple support a couple of times where phones/ipads were replaced free of charge in 1yr, not sure if they do this on laptops).

bogledogle

Post by bogledogle » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:06 pm

This is an easy choice, if you have money to burn then Apple, else Windows. The only laptop worth the money in an Apple store is a Mac Book Air, that would be the only thing I would spend my money on.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:26 pm

This is a style question.

I use both Mac at work and Windows at home and work. I prefer Windows, but they both work great.
Apple OS is smooth and slick, but pigeons holes you to a certain way of working.
Windows is little less smooth and slick, but better file structure/organization and better multi-tasking IMO.

But the difference is smaller than the hype. You can do the same thing on either system and the price point for a quality machine is very similar.

3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:29 pm

DSInvestor wrote:I switched to Macbook Pro last year and really love it. I bought the base Macbook Pro which comes with 500GB HD, 4GB RAM and an optical drive. It's not as light as the MacBook Pros with Retina or Macbook Air but it's the last model that allows for user upgrades.
I got the same thing about a year ago because I couldn't find similar specs/build quality for $900 in a laptop. There are plenty of good Windows laptops for less than $900, but many of them are much bulkier/not as well constructed. I think that gap will continue to close, but it seems that right now those 2013 MacBook Pro's are the sweet spot for price/performance. And I run mostly Windows with a dual boot setup.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:11 pm

Stonebr wrote:With the Windows machine I used to use at work, I could drink a mug of coffee in the time it took to boot up in the morning.
If you work for a company, is that perhaps due to all the software your employer puts on the machine?

sambb

Post by sambb » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:54 pm

once i adjusted to a mac, i would never go back

I use PCs in a corporate environment.

The mac saves me time and money, and makes me so much more efficient than my work PCs

aquifer

Post by aquifer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:06 pm

I harp on this once in a while, but you have to factor in the resale value of Apple devices. Everyone tries to compare up front costs, but you're not buying a disposable product with Apple. Their devices have very good resale value, bringing the cost of ownership equal to or below a comparable device from a different manufacturer. Apple devices are not commodities, which is why they can charge a premium price.

TX_TURTLE

Post by TX_TURTLE » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:14 pm

davebo wrote:I've been on the fence with purchasing an Apple laptop for a few years now and am at the point where I'll either purchase another windows-based laptop or make the leap. The last laptop I had was a Dell and it was purchased for like $700 and has lasted almost 5 years at this point. I am already deep into the Apple ecosystem....we have iphones, ipads, we use apple tv, and our music/movies are all purchased through itunes. I've heard that having a macbook will make everything much more seamless i.e. managing photos, videos, music, movies, etc.

What are your thoughts? The thing that throws me a little bit is how little storage you get with an Apple vs. windows based desktop. The answer you hear is "Well, you should store that in the cloud or on an external drive anyways", but it does seem strange how much bigger the price is.

What are your thoughts?
If you already have other Apple HW, it seems a no brainer to get the MacBook. When you see there is little storage, I'm guessing you want a model with flash storage. I have an iMac with flash storage only and I love it, among other reasons because it is so incredibly quiet. By comparison, my office laptop (with Windows and a conventional hard drive) makes a lot of noise and is very annoying. To me this is worth the extra $$$.

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:54 am

I've used Macs for a decade now and wouldn't switch back to a Windows based machine unless I had no other choice.

Another reason I like Apple products is that they play well together. We have iPhones, Macbooks, Apple TV, ipad, and an Apple Time Capsule for backup/router. It's amazing how well the devices work together. It's a bit like magic.

My wife uses a WIndows based computer and it's currently having "issues" and I've got to reinstall Windows. This isn't an isolated thing - you hear about people reinstalling Windows from scratch fairly regularly. In all my life I've never had to reinstall OS X.

cjking

Post by cjking » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:36 am

ieee488 wrote:
Stonebr wrote: Powering up the Mac takes only a few seconds. With the Windows machine I used to use at work, I could drink a mug of coffee in the time it took to boot up in the morning.
My Windows 7 Pro work laptop boots up in seconds as well.
The specs i7-4610M CPU, 8 GB of RAM.
My wife's new Windows 8 machine has a puny netbook processor and only 4G of RAM, it also boots in seconds. The secret is having an SSD drive and UEFI. I assume all new machines have the latter, but getting an SSD boot drive will be a choice. (Can't remember if Windows 8 fast start is an improvement on whatever Windows 7 did, that might be a third factor.)

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:05 am

The new macbooks are so light. Lighter than the air.

Intels M chip doesn't need a fan so it should be quiet and has great battery life. Gaming is out though and I am not sure about the quality of video.

I do heavy compiling so max out memory and cpu on a pro but the macbook is what I'd like to carry!

The storage is small. Have you used time machine? Use it back up to an external disk and use part of that disk for extra storage.

Windows is perfectly fine but .... I'd even do linux before it.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:26 am

in_reality wrote:The new macbooks are so light. Lighter than the air.

Intels M chip doesn't need a fan so it should be quiet and has great battery life. Gaming is out though and I am not sure about the quality of video.

I do heavy compiling so max out memory and cpu on a pro but the macbook is what I'd like to carry!

The storage is small. Have you used time machine? Use it back up to an external disk and use part of that disk for extra storage.

Windows is perfectly fine but .... I'd even do linux before it.
The new Macbook won't be out until next month. They look interesting but there are some downsides. They are 12 inches, weigh only 2 lbs, and have a retina display. Battery life remains to be seen because the retina display uses more energy than that of the low res Macbook air screen. The Broadwell Core M CPU is slow at 1.1 GHz or 1.2 GHz but energy efficient. The big drawback is lack of ports with only 1 USB-C port and a headphone jack. Price is another drawback starting at 1299 for the low end model. See link.
http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/15/why-i ... w-macbook/
Best Wishes, SpringMan

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:48 am

What got me was the differences ion price. In the YouTube comparison the Dell has 256gb SSD at the Microsoft store for $1299, but along the way if you don't get it as a touch screen it is $899. The Apple does not have touch and is $1499 at 256gb SSD. That's a very large price difference to overcome.

suburbandad

Post by suburbandad » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:52 am

How about a Chromebook?
They have come a long way and you can now access Microsoft Office Online free of charge. There are even apps such as Chrome Remote Desktop that allow you to use programs from another PC if necessary.

For most users, chromebooks are more than sufficient.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:27 am

Apple is the luxury vehicle and Windows is the economy car. Both will do the same thing, one just just does it with more style. Windows will run on a MacBook just fine now so differences in OS is moot. You pay a premium to own a MacBook just as you do with an iPhone or iPad. I own the the latter two but no Macs because iOS is better than Android by my definition. Better being defined as superior app availability. On the other hand, Windows blows OS X out of the water in terms of programs that run on it. That makes the price premium for a MacBook less appealing.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:51 am

leod wrote: I always buy Thinkpads
I love my Thinkpads. I used HP laptops for years and was always cursing them. I thought broken display hinges and bad USB ports were unavoidable. Now I know better.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:31 am

mmmodem wrote:Apple is the luxury vehicle and Windows is the economy car.
Not really. Apple is like Porsche, which only makes luxury cars. Windows is like GM, which makes all types of car, including the occasional darn fine Cadillac.

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:44 am

I've never owned a brand-new laptop. I buy them used off E-bay and install Linux on them.

Steve
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:31 am

mindboggling wrote:I've never owned a brand-new laptop. I buy them used off E-bay and install Linux on them.

Steve

and they can do anything an overpriced macbook can do
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:38 am

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:53 am

Go to a site like notebookreview and check the forums or reviews and then buy one that you can customize yourself for your needs from a good builder like Sager or Asus or MSI from a good reputable online store like gentechpc or xoticpc .
This is a way to get the most machine for your money, and also a more reliable one than the big names like Dell or HP. The machine will also probably be quieter and cooler with better graphics, especially for the price.
A computer is not a TV that is the same from Walmart or Bestbuy or Amazon. Apples are nice but only if you don't care what you spend for what you get.

I was sick of desktop/laptop PCs that died or had performance issues from Dell/HP/Samsung and now have a nice quiet PC that has performed well for 5 years from Puget custom computer and they talk to me when I have a problem.
One tip: avoid all the moving parts you can, meaning ALL solid state drives (get 2 of them) and fanless graphics cards. The only moving part you probably need is the case fan, but I've never had one of those fail, but the good builders get very quiet ones.
This is how gamers do it, but it's the best approach for everyone because the gamers know what they are doing.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:08 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
mmmodem wrote:Apple is the luxury vehicle and Windows is the economy car.
Not really. Apple is like Porsche, which only makes luxury cars. Windows is like GM, which makes all types of car, including the occasional darn fine Cadillac.
Well, Porsche is owned by Volkswagen responsible for plebeian Jettas and Passats. Remember when people used to say "blank" is the Cadillac of all "blank". Are Macbooks the Cadillac of all laptops?

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:33 pm

I don't have anything to add here but I honestly enjoy these Mac vs. PC debates. I definitely have my preference but no need to add it here. :happy

Cosmo

DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:12 pm

mmmodem wrote: Well, Porsche is owned by Volkswagen responsible for plebeian Jettas and Passats. Remember when people used to say "blank" is the Cadillac of all "blank". Are Macbooks the Cadillac of all laptops?
I thought people said Mercedes or Rolls Royce, not Cadillac.
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:32 pm

DDMP20 wrote:
mmmodem wrote: Well, Porsche is owned by Volkswagen responsible for plebeian Jettas and Passats. Remember when people used to say "blank" is the Cadillac of all "blank". Are Macbooks the Cadillac of all laptops?
I thought people said Mercedes or Rolls Royce, not Cadillac.
As Alfred E. Neuman once said "Cadillac -- the Rolls Royce of cars."

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:26 pm

davebo wrote: I am already deep into the Apple ecosystem....we have iphones, ipads, we use apple tv, and our music/movies are all purchased through itunes. I've heard that having a macbook will make everything much more seamless i.e. managing photos, videos, music, movies, etc.
You will pay more for a similarly spec'd Apple versus a Dell, HP, etc. running Windows but if you want simplicity of synchronization and are willing to pay extra for it you can go with the Mac. So to me it makes sense - if you are already bought into Apple - that would be a way to complete the buy-in.
I've got Windows Laptops and Android phone but my wife has Apple everything and I certainly see the benefit to her of just using all Apple iCloud to sync calendars, music, photos, messaging, etc versus having to manage other products to do so. (Personally I don't like the closed system and like to choose what products to use but that's just me). I backup both our windows PCs and our Mac to network drive.

ianferrel

Post by ianferrel » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:05 pm

midareff wrote:What got me was the differences ion price. In the YouTube comparison the Dell has 256gb SSD at the Microsoft store for $1299, but along the way if you don't get it as a touch screen it is $899. The Apple does not have touch and is $1499 at 256gb SSD. That's a very large price difference to overcome.
It sounds like you're leaving out some specs here. Perhaps, comparing Apples to Oranges.

I'd be very surprised if the only difference between the $1299 model and the $899 model Dell is just the touchscreen. It simply doesn't cost $400 to add a touch screen. So, probably the $899 model also has reduced specs on a bunch of other components.

And the Macbook Air 13" with a 256GB SSD starts at $1199, not $1499. What are you actually comparing here? Use specific model numbers.

There is a price premium for Apple computers, but most of the time it's pretty small. Less than $100 if you're really comparing similar specs. The place where you really save money is if you don't care about the things that Apple spends its engineering time on: size, weight, battery life. If you're willing to buy a thicker, heavier laptop that won't run as long on battery, then you can in fact spend hundreds less on a Windows machine. Obviously, only you can decide how much those features are worth to you.

FredL

Post by FredL » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:24 pm

Two things nobody mentioned here are: Mac doesn't have malware, so far, but won't run some programs. You cannot install TurboTax on Mac. You have to run it on web and Apple is getting your personal information. Some photo enhancing programs only available on PC. A niche program that can convert pdf to MusicXML can only run on PC. The MusicXML file can be imported to sheet music editing programs, but not pdf file. If you decide on Mac, You must make sure the program will run on Mac.

topos

Post by topos » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:47 pm

FredL wrote:You cannot install TurboTax on
Doesn't look correct. TurboTax 2014 for Mac is available from the Apple AppStore.

Impromptu

Post by Impromptu » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:58 pm

Though I am not much of a computer geek, I built my own computer with my friend's help. My Windows 8 loads in a couple of seconds with my solid state drive. It also loads in mere seconds on my Windows Surface, which is a far better tablet and laptop than others I have seen. My Windows phone is pretty awesome. Apple and google products are confusing. We tried them for a while and will never go back. They force you to accept their way or nothing. Windows is versatile. Apple is dogmatic and way too trendy.
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

yosh99

Post by yosh99 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:22 pm

Discussion threads where Windows users are contemplating a switch to the Mac environment are common. I don't ever remember seeing one from a Mac user thinking about moving to Windows.

yosh99

Post by yosh99 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:25 pm

FredL wrote:Two things nobody mentioned here are: Mac doesn't have malware, so far, but won't run some programs. You cannot install TurboTax on Mac. You have to run it on web and Apple is getting your personal information. Some photo enhancing programs only available on PC. A niche program that can convert pdf to MusicXML can only run on PC. The MusicXML file can be imported to sheet music editing programs, but not pdf file. If you decide on Mac, You must make sure the program will run on Mac.
You can run Windows and all Windows software on a Mac, either by booting into Windows using a standard Mac OS feature, or by using emulation software from Parallels or Fusion. I run Windows software on my Mac in windows side-by-side with my Mac software. You can cut and paste between them seamlessly.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:53 pm

yosh99 wrote:
FredL wrote:Two things nobody mentioned here are: Mac doesn't have malware, so far, but won't run some programs. You cannot install TurboTax on Mac. You have to run it on web and Apple is getting your personal information. Some photo enhancing programs only available on PC. A niche program that can convert pdf to MusicXML can only run on PC. The MusicXML file can be imported to sheet music editing programs, but not pdf file. If you decide on Mac, You must make sure the program will run on Mac.
You can run Windows and all Windows software on a Mac, either by booting into Windows using a standard Mac OS feature, or by using emulation software from Parallels or Fusion. I run Windows software on my Mac in windows side-by-side with my Mac software. You can cut and paste between them seamlessly.
There's a third option for virtualization on the mac - Oracle's VirtualBox and it is free. I use vmware fusion to run windows and linux in a mac window. Works great.
Wiki

Dyloot

Post by Dyloot » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:22 pm

Macbook Pros are pretty sweet. I support maybe a dozen of them at work. I don't have a lot of complaints. Time Machine is a fantastic application for ease of hardware upgrade over the years. They are expensive and they've removed some ports that are convenient in a business environment, like (traditional) video and ethernet ports. You can get away with not having those if you buy an amazing 27 inch Thunderbolt monitor... but the $1,000 cost tag can drive your overall cost way up. If you're just looking for a laptop that sits on a table and looks/work great, it's hard to argue against it.

PC laptops can also be pretty damn sweet. I find most of my friends and colleagues often gravitate toward the $500-$700 Best Buy special--which is kind of like buying a Ford Escort. Gets the job done, but it's pretty damn hard to compare it to luxury or performance vehicle 2 and 3 times the cost.

So throw out the $600 Toshiba. Consider the brand new Dell XPS 13 i5/i7, Dell E7450 i5/i7, Surface 3 Pro i5/i7, Macbook Air, and Macbook Pro. All five of these should cost you between $1,000 and $2,000, depending on the specs. All will knock your socks off in terms of power, speed, construction, and battery life. Intel Haswell CPUs are just that slick.

In the end, with apples to apples, you get to pick out what's most important to you. If it's the Mac OS, go ahead and enjoy it. If you're looking forward to Windows 10, take a look at the PCs. It's a free upgrade from Windows 8. Enjoy it. Buying brand new laptops is always fun.

bogledogle

Post by bogledogle » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:35 am

The worst part about buying an Apple product now is dealing with the people who work in the store. They are just the worst - bottom of the barrel, it's like a manufacturing line where each guy does one specific thing and knows nothing about anything else, you constantly get handed off between several people until someone from the back office shows up to actually fix your problem. And this is only getting worse, they are now hiring older people - if you didn't know, Apple only posted young people to the front office but now they hire old people to resonate with the new crowd coming in to buy products.

Just the other day, went to get my iPhone6 replaced because the screen had a problem. They made me wait for 40 minutes, erased my phone and then said - "oh, looks like we can't take the replace the phone because you bought it with a discount and we cannot match that. You will need to return this and buy a new one at full price". This really pissed me off, I argued with them that I took delivery of the phone in that store and it been less than 2 weeks since purchase - they would not budge. Finally, I grabbed my stuff and said "I am amazed how you treat your customers, by the way, that discount you saw on the pricing - it's an employee discount" - and I walked away from the store. Within a minute, I got a call from the store with the person I was dealing with profusely apologizing for what happened and asked me to come back and get my phone. I walked back into the store and walked out with a brand new phone - that transaction took 40 seconds including another in-person apology.

You would surely get better service from Best Buy, if you end up buying a Apple computer - buy it at bestbuy.

Maynard F. Speer

Post by Maynard F. Speer » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:07 am

Well I used Windows laptops and desktops from about 1990 to 2010 - I've got fond memories of some (I built a fantastic XP desktop for next to nothing, and it almost never crashed, very fast - I'd still use it happily today .. I had a fantastic Pentium 90)

On the other hand, Windows never felt like a stable platform ... Find a good iteration and you'd cling onto it for years, while Microsoft launch endless failed experiments (like Metro) - so the complete mess of hardware and software destandardisation became quite untenable and was a frequent cause of stress

I was going to try moving onto Linux, but I somehow convinced myself to take the plunge and buy a 17" MacBook Pro ... 20 years with PCs - programming them, working with them in recording studios, edit suites - but ... all I can say is I've never known what it's like to LOVE a piece of technology before ... Considering the amount of time some of us spend on our computers, and how much technology can either get in the way or enable you, I think it's one of the best value purchases I've ever made ... Whole system's like a perfectly conducted symphony
"Economics is a method rather than a doctrine, an apparatus of the mind, a technique of thinking, which helps its possessor to draw correct conclusions." - John Maynard Keynes

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:58 am

tbradnc wrote:I've used Macs for a decade now and wouldn't switch back to a Windows based machine unless I had no other choice.

Another reason I like Apple products is that they play well together. We have iPhones, Macbooks, Apple TV, ipad, and an Apple Time Capsule for backup/router. It's amazing how well the devices work together. It's a bit like magic.
This. We made the switch to a MacBook Pro 6 years ago and love it. We still own the same laptop after 6 years and it's running strong. Since that time, we've purchased iPhones, Apple TV, iPad, and a Time Capsule, and yes, they all really do work seamlessly. We've owned several different Windows laptops over the years and none of them could top our MacBook. I was really getting tired of the delayed response and 15 minute boot ups after owning Windows computers for a year or so.

patrick

Post by patrick » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:37 am

yolli71 wrote:This. We made the switch to a MacBook Pro 6 years ago and love it. We still own the same laptop after 6 years and it's running strong. Since that time, we've purchased iPhones, Apple TV, iPad, and a Time Capsule, and yes, they all really do work seamlessly. We've owned several different Windows laptops over the years and none of them could top our MacBook. I was really getting tired of the delayed response and 15 minute boot ups after owning Windows computers for a year or so.
Like several other Mac users, you seem to quite the expert at slowing down Windows machines. I have used Windows a long time but can't reach comparable slowness. For instance, on my Windows 7 laptop from 2012, it only takes 25 seconds from when when I press the power button until I get the web browser open with the default page loaded. That includes not just the OS startup itself but also the BIOS, typing in the password, and retrieving off the web too.

papiper

Post by papiper » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:48 am

My work pc's always slow down. They buy them with cheap cpu's, low ram and spinning hard drives. Add the corporate encryption and add-in's for special systems and they all get slower and slower. love the macs at home that just turn on. I've had several pc's at home for myself and my kids and while it takes longer, over time they get so much junk on them that to keep them running I have to become an expert on cleaning and speed up software and spend time deselecting startup programs, add-in's etc. Don't even get me started on why drivers are always needed to be updated or installed one's get "lost" and have to be reloaded.