Will you buy an Apple Watch?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
srt7

Re: Will you buy an Apple Watch?

Post by srt7 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:34 pm

airahcaz wrote:Will you buy an Apple Watch?

Which one appeals to you or for the person for which you'd buy it?
Nope. My iPhone is all I need :-)

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:29 pm

No way! Have no desire to even own a cell phone. I really hate the way cell phones and social media changed the world. People look like zombies always looking at their phones, people can't go out to dinner without posting things on Facebook instead of enjoying the dinner conversation. It seems like people are more concerned showing other people they are having fun, then actually having fun for the sake of enjoying life and the people you are with.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

sambb

Post by sambb » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:52 pm

stemikger wrote:No way! Have no desire to even own a cell phone. I really hate the way cell phones and social media changed the world. People look like zombies always looking at their phones, people can't go out to dinner without posting things on Facebook instead of enjoying the dinner conversation. It seems like people are more concerned showing other people they are having fun, then actually having fun for the sake of enjoying life and the people you are with.

I disagree. Love social media and how it has changed the world. So much easier to keep in touch with old friends and meet new ones. You can know so much about a person up front. I hope apple watch, like most apple products, continues to improve. Amazing how the world has changed, and love it.

Disclaimer: I also don't understand newspapers (old news! new news is on the internet and twitter!), I don't understand bookstores (kindle app and amazon has all the books in the world), and I don't understand sending letters (can snapchat or text and share so much more). Perhaps generational trends.

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:13 pm

I am 52 and grew up without cellphones and computers and yes, reading books and newspapers . I value both old and new . I still read books but have a Kindle and read the WSJ.

Social media has been wonderful to connect . But I also think people waste too much time on it, post stupid things ( I don't need to see your breakfast burrito) , and do not talk to each other like we used to .

About a year ago we got together with some friends and played board games with our phones off . It was fun and three hours passed quickly.

While I love the advantages , we have lost some things that were simpler, and better .

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:23 pm

sambb wrote:
stemikger wrote:No way! Have no desire to even own a cell phone. I really hate the way cell phones and social media changed the world. People look like zombies always looking at their phones, people can't go out to dinner without posting things on Facebook instead of enjoying the dinner conversation. It seems like people are more concerned showing other people they are having fun, then actually having fun for the sake of enjoying life and the people you are with.

I disagree. Love social media and how it has changed the world. So much easier to keep in touch with old friends and meet new ones. You can know so much about a person up front. I hope apple watch, like most apple products, continues to improve. Amazing how the world has changed, and love it.

Disclaimer: I also don't understand newspapers (old news! new news is on the internet and twitter!), I don't understand bookstores (kindle app and amazon has all the books in the world), and I don't understand sending letters (can snapchat or text and share so much more). Perhaps generational trends.
Perhaps people prefer not to stare at screens. Perhaps people can't afford devices and ISPs. Oh, and I won't be buying an Apple watch - now or ever.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:45 pm

I may buy if the watch apps that become available are useful and are a big enough value add compliment to my iphone. So far, from what I have read, not convinced yet that I need the iwatch but as it and its apps mature over the next couple of years it might make sense in the future.

The apps will have to be seriously valuable because I hate wearing anything visible that makes you stick out. Like the doomed Google glass was quickly identified as SOP-douchebag-wear, the iwatch also has to be careful about negative labeling.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:21 pm

I have some friends who have the watch as well as the google watch. I see very limited value in such an item especially with such a small screen. The watch will need to start doing something really spectacular for it to take off. As of now, it is an expensive timepiece that depreciates in value. I sure as hell will not be buying a new $600 watch every 2 years.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:58 am

sambb wrote:

Don't you find the people on Facebook are showing you something that is not real. It seems like everyone is Narcissistic. I have people I really liked before Facebook until I saw how silly they think and how judgmental they are with their politics and religion. I view them differently now. Even members of my family surprised me. I have an Uncle who is only 4 years older than me who I looked up to my entire life. After some of the daily rants he puts on Facebook, I can't help but view him differently now. I finally deactivated my account.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

sambb

Post by sambb » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:26 am

stemikger wrote:
sambb wrote:

Don't you find the people on Facebook are showing you something that is not real. It seems like everyone is Narcissistic. I have people I really liked before Facebook until I saw how silly they think and how judgmental they are with their politics and religion. I view them differently now. Even members of my family surprised me. I have an Uncle who is only 4 years older than me who I looked up to my entire life. After some of the daily rants he puts on Facebook, I can't help but view him differently now. I finally deactivated my account.
I find people's old photo albums (the ones where people actually have physical copies of photos and put them into a binder that can be viewed only at one location by one or two people) are far MORE narcissistic. You can't comment on each photo and criticize or share positive things. Seems to me that these photo albums are way more narcissistic. Some even have labels like "wedding" or "trip to europe" and are stored on a prominent shelf with other books, like it is a published item. With apple products can easily share photos and thoughts, and this is true of the watch. With social media, everyone has access. It is great. I get that there may be a generation who may not understand the watch or social media, or snapchat or instagram. I can't imagine life without SoMe, and I hope that the watch makes it easy. I am looking forward to future generations of the watch.

There are generational trends at work with SoMe and with apple products. Over time however, apple seems to get it right. One day there will be company that unseats them, but not anytime soon.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:11 am

most likely not.
i have the iphone 6plus and am very happy with it.
i don't need another piece of electronics on my arm...i much prefer my analog Timex watch....its tell me just what i want to know...the time.

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:18 pm

No.If I want to get mugged I`ll buy one. Unfortunately it invites trouble.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:25 pm

My husband bought one and returned it after two weeks. Apparently, you have to rotate your wrist to get the watch to light up and show the time. Annoying. He has a software company and originally thought it would be something along the lines of "cool" (my word, absolutely not his) but it didn't work out. He likes his $30 Timex, and quite honestly, it looks nicer, and is 100% functional as a time teller. :happy

jdb

Post by jdb » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:56 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:My husband bought one and returned it after two weeks. Apparently, you have to rotate your wrist to get the watch to light up and show the time. Annoying. He has a software company and originally thought it would be something along the lines of "cool" (my word, absolutely not his) but it didn't work out. He likes his $30 Timex, and quite honestly, it looks nicer, and is 100% functional as a time teller. :happy
The normal motion to look at your watch is to raise and rotate your wrist a few inches. That illuminates the Apple watch. I used to have $30 Timex watches but they kept dying on me, finally figured out there was reason for low cost. Then went to expensive Swiss watches which are beautiful but expensive to maintain. Now only wear the Apple watch, best toy I have (other than the Tesla Model S but that's another story). This afternoon wife emailed me shopping list, I kept the list on my wrist as went through the store. I love the moon phase indicators, now watching waxing Gibbous turn into full moon. And tomorrow will use on golf course to see distance to greens. Check my calories used each day and occasional checks on heartbeat. Plus like getting notified of phone calls on wrist. I may sound like Apple fanboy but probably never go back to timepieces that only keep time.

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:46 pm

jdb, found your post interesting b/c I have found it difficult to even consider the advantages of having such a thing and you've made it sound really functional and fun.
I've never seen one.... just a photo so far.
I do happen to like watches and reading and learning about many different timepieces, but so far, Apple has NOT been one. :happy

Leif

Post by Leif » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:32 am

jdb wrote:
GoldenFinch wrote:My husband bought one and returned it after two weeks. Apparently, you have to rotate your wrist to get the watch to light up and show the time. Annoying. He has a software company and originally thought it would be something along the lines of "cool" (my word, absolutely not his) but it didn't work out. He likes his $30 Timex, and quite honestly, it looks nicer, and is 100% functional as a time teller. :happy
The normal motion to look at your watch is to raise and rotate your wrist a few inches. That illuminates the Apple watch. I used to have $30 Timex watches but they kept dying on me, finally figured out there was reason for low cost. Then went to expensive Swiss watches which are beautiful but expensive to maintain. Now only wear the Apple watch, best toy I have (other than the Tesla Model S but that's another story). This afternoon wife emailed me shopping list, I kept the list on my wrist as went through the store. I love the moon phase indicators, now watching waxing Gibbous turn into full moon. And tomorrow will use on golf course to see distance to greens. Check my calories used each day and occasional checks on heartbeat. Plus like getting notified of phone calls on wrist. I may sound like Apple fanboy but probably never go back to timepieces that only keep time.
Raising my wrist to check the time reminded me of a time about 40 years ago. I had an electronic watch. It only showed the time. You had to press a button to see the digital time because showing the time took so much battery power.

Now, fast forward to the present. Again the watch cannot show the time constantly since doing so would use too much battery. I don't want to be in a meeting and raise my wrist to see the time. I just want to glance at my wrist.

The watch is really cool. But until they solve this problem (if solvable) I'll wait. I just bought a much cheaper watch (about $12, but does not look nicer) with a 7 year battery that shows the time constantly with just a glance. So they have 7 years to come up with a solution.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:02 am

What make has a 7 year battery?

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:21 am

jdb wrote:
+1000
just bought one - couldn't resist
no need to have any other watch if you are an iPhone user
Its incredible. And at the price, it is cheap

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:27 am

jdb wrote:
My husband loves Apple products and thought the Apple watch would be nice for a variety of reasons (including toy aspect). The problem was that his work involves consulting and he spends a lot of time with clients. Although he could always see the time on his Timex without (potentially rudely) turning his wrist, he couldn't glance at his Apple watch and know the time. So basically, for him, it was like having a watch that didn't serve its primary purpose.

My husband loves his iPhone as much as you love your Apple watch for pretty much the same reasons. He also loves the Tesla, but with a house full of teenagers, that will have to wait. Also, because we have teenage boys and they eat a lot, our shopping lists are very long. I think my husband would find reading a long shopping list on his wrist more annoying than reading it on his iPhone. :D

When he retires and is no longer a slave to the clock, I'm sure he will enjoy whatever new Apple gadget is out there. Since retirement is years away, I wonder what that will be? Hmmm...........

Jd1006

Post by Jd1006 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:34 am

Apple dropped the ball on this. There's a growing segment of runners who would buy the watch if it worked without having to simultaneously have the iPhone with you. A lot of the useful features of the watch are negated by having the phone on you. Until they figure that out it will never sell like it should.

Chan_va

Post by Chan_va » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:59 am

I bought an apple watch and returned it after a week. It has promise and I might buy the next generation but the current gen has 3 big problems.

1. Too tethered to iPhone. If I have to carry my phone for everything I need to do on the watch, I might as well use the phone.
2. No gps for accurate run tracking
3. Poor battery. I want to be able to go a week or so without having to constantly worry about charging up.

Returned it and bought a garmin watch. That's not perfect either but a better fit for what I want. Gps and decent battery.

crg11

Post by crg11 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:17 am

I've had my Apple Watch for three weeks and I like it a lot. It has some rough edges that any 1.0 product will have, but I clearly see the promise in it.

The battery doesn't bother me one bit. I often end the day with ~50% charge remaining and simply plug it in at night. I vastly prefer charging daily than having a charge last x amount of days and running out when you least expect it.

I love the fitness tracking and the subtle reminders to keep active throughout the day. Since I have bought the Apple Watch, I've walked far more than I did before. I'm contemplating picking up running and going to the gym again. It's almost like a game to try to fill up all of the activity bars by the end of the day.

Apps need a bit of work. I have had some issues with apps not launching or taking a long time to load. Hoping watchOS 2.0 helps with the introduction of native apps.

I find I am far less disruptive if a notification comes in, which I've tuned heavily so only very important ones make it to the watch. Quick glance at the wrist if I so choose and then carry on. I seem to only use another device when I want to do work now, not just to randomly check the status of something.

It's extremely handy when I'm checking when/where my next meeting is. Modular watch face on, I can quickly see what my next meeting is and what conference room it is in. I have a complication for the US West Coast so I know when it is safe to call a colleague or a family member.

I've also gotten a lot of comments about how nice the watch looks (I bought the Space Gray sports version). I feel like I can wear it exercising and at formal events, which is nice.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:23 am

Jd1006 wrote:Apple dropped the ball on this.
Apple made the decision to make the watch useless without the iPhone in an attempt to force more people to buy the iPhone. Rightly or wrongly, Apple determined that they would generate more profits by using the watch to prompt people that don't currently use iPhones to buy iPhones so they could use the watch than by selling the watch to interested non-iPhone users.

The fact that the watch is largely a second screen that must be tethered to the iPhone to work properly is just a consequence of Apple's decision to tie the products together to force consumers to purchase both.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:35 am

I don't like to wear a watch, bothers me, especially when it is big.

crg11

Post by crg11 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:02 am

FedGuy wrote:
Apple made the decision to make the watch useless without the iPhone in an attempt to force more people to buy the iPhone. Rightly or wrongly, Apple determined that they would generate more profits by using the watch to prompt people that don't currently use iPhones to buy iPhones so they could use the watch than by selling the watch to interested non-iPhone users.

The fact that the watch is largely a second screen that must be tethered to the iPhone to work properly is just a consequence of Apple's decision to tie the products together to force consumers to purchase both.
Or the fact that Apple determined battery life and the size of the watch's internals would be unacceptable if it included GPS and other functionality?

If there is one thing to know about Apple hardware, the thinness & style of the device is first, then battery life. And Apple always starts off fairly basic with their 1.0 products (the original iPhone infamously was only 2G capable and had no apps at launch).

Guarantee that there will be a future version of the Apple Watch that could operate untethered with GPS. It's an obvious differentiator when a hardware revision happens.

KarenC

Post by KarenC » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:08 am

Leif wrote: Now, fast forward to the present. Again the watch cannot show the time constantly since doing so would use too much battery. I don't want to be in a meeting and raise my wrist to see the time. I just want to glance at my wrist.
It's not as unobtrusive as a glance, but you can tap the watch face to activate the display. (I've most often used this capability when I've had my hands folded in my lap.)
"How much you know is less important than how clearly you understand where the borders of your ignorance begin." — Jason Zweig

Jd1006

Post by Jd1006 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:03 pm

FedGuy wrote:

It wasn't a difficult premise to include standalone gps, the other running watches in the segment do it. They could have the advantage if you could export a playlist via iTunes, Spotify, etc, to the watch for your run from your iPhone. Those two features alone would takeover that market segment from Apple. The running watches currently have no great solution for easily exporting playlists on the fly. Most runners will never buy a watch that requires you to carry a phone.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:45 pm

FedGuy wrote:

Actually, it is brilliant.
Just like OS X is useless software without the hardware of apple, and like iTunes can't be used without a device, the watch is also part of the ecosystem. I love that they work together. I think they hit the mark.

For those that don't like the watch, it may be important to realize that the watch was not designed for your lifestyle then. It is designed for people who LIKE that they have to use both in tandem. And it is so much more than an extra screen.

One should understand that the product in no way has been marketed as anything that is meant to act independently of the phone for its functions. The idea of using it alone to me has no value.

I love the watch, and from what i understand, no new watchmaker in the history of the world has ever had this much success in a few months after release of its first watch. So, this is the most successful introduction of a new watch ever. Never seen so much press and discussion over a first release of a watch by a new watchmaker. Apple is incredible and does it over and over. Glad it is my top stock holding, as it is for most bogleheads who use index funds.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:00 pm

sambb wrote:
FedGuy wrote:

Actually, it is brilliant.
Just like OS X is useless software without the hardware of apple, and like iTunes can't be used without a device, the watch is also part of the ecosystem. I love that they work together. I think they hit the mark.

For those that don't like the watch, it may be important to realize that the watch was not designed for your lifestyle then. It is designed for people who LIKE that they have to use both in tandem. And it is so much more than an extra screen.

One should understand that the product in no way has been marketed as anything that is meant to act independently of the phone for its functions. The idea of using it alone to me has no value.

I love the watch, and from what i understand, no new watchmaker in the history of the world has ever had this much success in a few months after release of its first watch. So, this is the most successful introduction of a new watch ever. Never seen so much press and discussion over a first release of a watch by a new watchmaker. Apple is incredible and does it over and over. Glad it is my top stock holding, as it is for most bogleheads who use index funds.
This is gold. There is no way you don't work for Apple.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:22 pm

Nope i don't work for apple at all. Thats like saying that boglehead must work for vanguard. Anyway, i think the watch is designed for a certain person, just like a prius or a emerging markets mutual fund, or a international plane ticket. There are some products that are designed for a certain type of consumer. I don't think the watch is unique in that concept, but the idea that it is designed for everyone who wears a watch is not true. I don't think that it is a universal product. Just one that fits a nice niche for millions of people.

An international business class ticket is also not designed for every person going on a trip, but it fits a certain type of consumer. There are probably all sorts of products like this.

The apple watch is certainly not a panacea, it requires the apple ecosystem, and I would not recommend it for those who are not enthusiastic about the apple ecosystem. So it is not perfect for everyone at all.

I find the function to be far superior than any watch i have owned in checking emails, messages, and all sorts of other apps. My other watches have 0 function in those tasks. I am impressed with it.
Last edited by sambb on Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:28 pm

sambb wrote:Nope i don't work for apple at all. Thats like saying that boglehead must work for vanguard. Anyway, i think the watch is designed for a certain person, just like a prius or a emerging markets mutual fund, or a international plane ticket. There are some products that are designed for a certain type of consumer. I don't think the watch is unique in that concept, but the idea that it is designed for everyone who wears a watch is not true. I don't think that it is a universal product. Just one that fits a nice niche for millions of people.
This "niche" is people who will buy anything produced by Apple, regardless of its functionality. The idea that the target consumers prefer that it is almost useless without being tethered to the Iphone is definitely the most amusing statement in this thread.

IMO, this product seems unlikely to be highly valued by anybody who isn't already an Apple fanboy - you think that is both a good thing and Apple's main concern, some of us disagree. I doubt Apple isn't concerned about enticing new consumers to its brand, and I would love to see some numbers suggesting this product is doing that in the same way that previous products did.
Last edited by stoptothink on Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mcblum

Post by mcblum » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:34 pm

For keeping time, it could not take the place of my beautiful everyday watch, an Omega SeaMaster. For anything else, my iMac, MacBook Air and IPhone will do. Marty

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:26 pm

I think it's something for gadget people. For anyone with a lot going on, I can't imagine its more than a nuisance. It's not a "watch" anymore than your iPhone is. I was unaware that it had to be tethered to an iPhone, that's even more of a drawback.

It seems like its a small screen for your phone at a time when Apple is making phone screens bigger. Go figure. It's not horrible looking as a watch, but its a modern look, and not great looking, either. I've played with one at the Apple store and didn't see anything of interest. Too small and too much work.

I own an iPhone and an iMac, but also a PC and have had androids in the past. There are some things I like and some things that frustrate me to madness. I don't think Apple is a superior product, but merely competitive on some levels. I don't get the "watch," but I don't get a lot of other trends, and some of them still stick. Who knows?

JT

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:11 pm

I remember watching the Today show the day after the Apple watch went retail. Both Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie had them strapped to their wrists and it seemed to me their were going out of their way to let viewers notice. Included in the banter with Natalie and Al they made it known that they bought the watch with "their own money." I have yet to see the Apple Bling on their wrists since that day.

How does an Apple Watch owner know it's 12:00 noon? The battery needs recharging.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

Leif

Post by Leif » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:50 pm

bowtie wrote:What make has a 7 year battery?
Casio. Link below is to Amazon. Looks like the price has dropped a dollar. It is now $11.
Product Description
The Casio F91W digital sports watch is a tried and true style for casual and sporty wear. With daily alarm, hourly chime signal, and automatic calendar (automatically sets date for months with 31, 30, 29, 28 days!) you?l never need to worry about missing an appointment again.Accuracy: +/-30 seconds per month.Water Resistant.Micro Light.Approx. battery life: 7 years.Battery CR2016.Module 593.
Casio F91W-1 Classic Resin Strap Digital Sport Watch
Last edited by Leif on Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

Leif

Post by Leif » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:00 pm

KarenC wrote:
Leif wrote: Now, fast forward to the present. Again the watch cannot show the time constantly since doing so would use too much battery. I don't want to be in a meeting and raise my wrist to see the time. I just want to glance at my wrist.
It's not as unobtrusive as a glance, but you can tap the watch face to activate the display. (I've most often used this capability when I've had my hands folded in my lap.)
Sort of like pressing that button 40 years ago.

Too bad they deep sixth the iPod nano 6th generation. Just too much competition with the Apple watch I guess. Plus at $150 in 2011 plus a band how can Apple make a buck? Plus, you didn't need a late model iPhone. Cannot have that!

I've read there was even a trick to keep the display on.

Apple watch? No - iPod nano.
Last edited by Leif on Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sunflower

Post by Sunflower » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:25 pm

Saw a guy the other day pay for his latte at Starbucks (of course) with his watch. In no way did this make me desire it; his wallet, on the other hand.... :greedy

dcdowden

Post by dcdowden » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:42 pm

Very doubtful at this point - don't need another device that needs to be charged every night. I love my iPhone 6 for mobile internet and apps everywhere and my three year old iPad for a larger screen around the house, but I just don't see any compelling reason to go for an iWatch - especially a first generation model that is likely to be obsolete in a year or two. I bought a very nice Breitling Watch about 15 years ago and it still works and looks just fine. The iPhone 6 can track motion/steps/stairs quite nicely and I generally have it in my pocket all day anyways.
Doug

KarenC

Post by KarenC » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:00 pm

Peterjens wrote: How does an Apple Watch owner know it's 12:00 noon? The battery needs recharging.
That certainly hasn't been my experience. My Apple Watch typically has about a 30% charge when I put it on the charger and go to bed. (That's with a ~1 hour long workout; workouts consume more power since the HR sensor is on continuously.)
"How much you know is less important than how clearly you understand where the borders of your ignorance begin." — Jason Zweig

stumblebum

Post by stumblebum » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:38 pm

i a mac guy way before it was cool--buying an apple watch--no way--its basically a badge saying "i'm a tool with more money that sense"--no offense meant but its true. :shock:

crg11

Post by crg11 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:16 pm

KarenC wrote:
Peterjens wrote: How does an Apple Watch owner know it's 12:00 noon? The battery needs recharging.
That certainly hasn't been my experience. My Apple Watch typically has about a 30% charge when I put it on the charger and go to bed. (That's with a ~1 hour long workout; workouts consume more power since the HR sensor is on continuously.)
Peterjens, I can usually get the battery to last ~50% in a day. Right now at 8:16 PM it is at 41% after heavy use of the Maps app today (3 hours driving).

crg11

Post by crg11 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:17 pm

stumblebum wrote:i a mac guy way before it was cool--buying an apple watch--no way--its basically a badge saying "i'm a tool with more money that sense"--no offense meant but its true. :shock:
Never thought I was a tool.

Cool.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:21 pm

Mine typically is at ~45% after a day's use. I get almost two days out of it. But as far as charging, one doesn't have to plug it into the watch. The charger works without a plugin into the watch. It is so very neat how it works.
I use the watch for all sorts of things, and with new apps coming on board, I am using it more and more every day. One of the best uses is to keep one's phone in one's briefcase during meetings, etc, and still have access to all the data one needs. It does way more than any rolex I have ever seen. And it is a fraction of the price. I can't see how other watches offer its value.

Like all things in technology however, the watch won't appeal to the flip phone or newspaper crowd, but it is very useful for the email/text/apple pay/music/workout/snapchat crowd. Of course it isn't for everyone. Only for a few million people currently according to sales. Will be interesting to see if the numbers grow over time. I am betting that the naysayers will be wrong and it will sell more in the holiday season. Lets see how it shakes out.

I still can't find another watchmaker, that sold as many watches in its first 3-4 months of selling its very first product. So clearly by measures of sheer numbers, it has blown away all previous attempts to sell watches. I find that amazing to a company that is new to selling watches. Compared to any other watch in the world in this short time, it is wildly successful, so it clearly got something right that no other watch has ever gotten right.

From a boglehead perspective, a rolex goes for around 7-9k USD new. It tells time and date. An apple watch offers so many more functions for so much less, and most interesting, it adds function with every app that comes out. I see value in that. The price I paid, $400, is only 5% of $8000. So instead of a rolex (overly simplistic calculation i know - taxes etc play a role), I only need to make 5% on the 8000 dollars in a mutual fund per year to sustain buying a new apple watch every year. If I stretch in out every 2 years, the withdrawal rate is far lower. And that doesn't include resale of the used watch, which I bet will be at least 100-200 USD. I think it makes financial sense for me because I use the functions. However, if one doesn't use the more modern functions of a connected lifestyle, and one is more into a traditional non-connected non-gadget lifestyle, then I completely believe the watch is not a good boglehead value.

Similar to buying cars or other things, it ultimately is subjective. It works for me, and the value proposition is amazing to me compared to rolex. However, it might not be the same to others. Most bogleheads I presume hold apple as their #1 stock in their portfolio (via total stock market or S&P index), so we all do well if apple does well.

Ballmer had some interesting thoughts about the first iPhone too... Lots thought it was worthless and was going to fail..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywi0h_Y5_U
Success comes from usefulness, and millions have bought the watch. Sure there have been a few returns. Millions have bought it though. Maybe that's because we find it useful and a great evolution. It is a stunning device for the right person.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:38 pm

sambb wrote:
I still can't find another watchmaker, that sold as many watches in its first 3-4 months of selling its very first product. So clearly by measures of sheer numbers, it has blown away all previous attempts to sell watches. I find that amazing to a company that is new to selling watches. Compared to any other watch in the world in this short time, it is wildly successful, so it clearly got something right that no other watch has ever gotten right.
What exactly does this show other than the Apple brand is amazingly strong? Do you know a single person who did not already have several Apple products who is even the least bit interested? I don't and I know numerous Apple fans who don't get it at all. My wife is definitely an Apple fan, she is now on her 3rd Iphone after trying a Android and uses a Macbook Pro, she definitely prefers those products to alternatives. They are great products, even if I personally prefer others. I had her read a lot of this thread (she is in the tech industry) and she is just as dumbfounded about your statements as I am. She told me she recently had a conversation with a co-worker who has an Iwatch and asked him what he used it for; his answer was basically "I don't know, but it's cool". A young techie and he literally had no understanding of how it could be useful in his life, he bought it for now other reason than it is the new Apple thing. I have a very strong feeling that is the sentiment of a very significant component of those millions who have purchased the watch. IMO, they could have released a calculator watch and had the exact same success, and (based upon the functionality of this product) I think they are well aware of this.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:51 pm

sambb wrote:I still can't find another watchmaker, that sold as many watches in its first 3-4 months of selling its very first product. So clearly by measures of sheer numbers, it has blown away all previous attempts to sell watches.
Except it's not a watch, so the numbers are meaningless as to whether it is a decent product. Probably more meaningless since the first months purchases were sight unseen.

JT

Leif

Post by Leif » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:51 pm

Very funny. Youtube.
Going head-to-head in a race across London, one of the TR (Trusted Reviews) team had an Apple Watch and the other only had an iPhone to complete a series of challenges. Will the Watch beat the iPhone and actually make life easier? Do you really need to own an Apple smartwatch? We try to answer those questions.
Apple Watch Race - Is It The Future?

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:35 pm

stoptothink wrote:
sambb wrote:
What exactly does this show other than the Apple brand is amazingly strong? Do you know a single person who did not already have several Apple products who is even the least bit interested? I don't and I know numerous Apple fans who don't get it at all. My wife is definitely an Apple fan, she is now on her 3rd Iphone after trying a Android and uses a Macbook Pro, she definitely prefers those products to alternatives. They are great products, even if I personally prefer others. I had her read a lot of this thread (she is in the tech industry) and she is just as dumbfounded about your statements as I am. She told me she recently had a conversation with a co-worker who has an Iwatch and asked him what he used it for; his answer was basically "I don't know, but it's cool". A young techie and he literally had no understanding of how it could be useful in his life, he bought it for now other reason than it is the new Apple thing. I have a very strong feeling that is the sentiment of a very significant component of those millions who have purchased the watch. IMO, they could have released a calculator watch and had the exact same success, and (based upon the functionality of this product) I think they are well aware of this.

Yes, your wife and you don't really like the watch. I understand, that's totally ok. Billions of people won't buy the watch. It is a niche product. Nothing wrong with that. Some of us amazing value, an amazing success, and the reason we have driven it to be the most amazing launch of a watch ever. People didn't get the iPhone when it came out, but over time more and more people bought it. Same still with macs. Macs are less than 10% of al computer sales. Its ok for people not to understand the watch. It adds value for a small percentage of the world's population. I am in that small percentage where it adds so much, it is just extraordinary.

Only a few million people have the watch, billions aren't persuaded with it.

Maybe the uncivil comments will result in this thread to be locked. So let me continue to add constructive comments for the small % of people who are interested in this watch:

The watch is a value for those of us who find value in its use. For just telling time, one could get a digital watch for far cheaper. Nevertheless, it is a far better financial value than a swiss mechanical watch. It can just do so much. Imagine that on one's wrist you can read texts, snapchats, emails, monitor exercise, see one's calendar, do outlook, evernote, apps, all for less than $400. That's a boglehead value - IF you use the watch's functions.

I could make a similar argument for a prius, or a tesla, or a backup camera, or a business class ticket, or other consumer item. My advice for a potential purchaser is this:
do you use a lot of apps?
Like working out?
Want to check your phone while it is in a briefcase or purse?
Want to appear unobtrusive in meetings?
Like "integration" and "it just works"?
then the apple watch MIGHT be for you
I would say go for it.
You can always return it if you don't like it

Every day new apps are coming out.
It is just so amazing, and wonderful.

The apple watch isn't for everyone.

For me, the productivity gain and workout features are just great.

Nevertheless, most people in the world do not understand or see value in apple products, and this is just by sheer numbers too. So, yes, the majority of the world isn't buying the watch, or any watch. It is not meant for the majority of people. Maybe most people won't find value in it worldwide. But maybe there a small % of the population that will find value. Time will tell. It is a niche product. Don't be surprised if one isn't in that niche. Apple didn't make it for everyone.

TareNeko

Post by TareNeko » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:04 pm

sambb wrote: Nevertheless, it is a far better financial value than a swiss mechanical watch. It can just do so much. Imagine that on one's wrist you can read texts, snapchats, emails, monitor exercise, see one's calendar, do outlook, evernote, apps, all for less than $400. That's a boglehead value - IF you use the watch's functions.
I think you're a bit carried away with this.
Apple watch is a toy. Swiss watch is a jewelery.

Apple watch won't work after few years (talk about good value), you can pass down a mechanical watch to your kids, and they can pass it to their own kids.

Neither products are not really needed for a happy life :)

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:53 am

sambb wrote: The apple watch isn't for everyone.

For me, the productivity gain and workout features are just great.

Nevertheless, most people in the world do not understand or see value in apple products, and this is just by sheer numbers too. So, yes, the majority of the world isn't buying the watch, or any watch. It is not meant for the majority of people. Maybe most people won't find value in it worldwide. But maybe there a small % of the population that will find value. Time will tell. It is a niche product. Don't be surprised if one isn't in that niche. Apple didn't make it for everyone.
Obviously millions value the watch, but I have yet to hear a single person logically explain how it functionally benefits them in a way a previously existing and cheaper product couldn't. That's OK, we all buy lots of stuff which doesn't really make our life easier in any rational way, and $500 (or whatever it costs) is a small price for something you simply enjoy the look and novelty of. I don't value watches in general, but Petrocelli's expensive watch thread is easier for me to understand because nobody is trying to convince others that their Rolex has any functional or intrinsic value outside of their look and what they signal to others. Your continued general statements about how it has made you more productive without any explanation as to how and how Apple didn't make it for everyone, just confuses us who "Apple didn't make the watch for" even more.

KarenC

Post by KarenC » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:52 am

stoptothink wrote:
sambb wrote:
I still can't find another watchmaker, that sold as many watches in its first 3-4 months of selling its very first product. ...
What exactly does this show other than the Apple brand is amazingly strong? Do you know a single person who did not already have several Apple products who is even the least bit interested? ...
Given that the Apple Watch requires it to be paired with an iPhone, I'm not surprised there's a strong correlation.

Buysider

Post by Buysider » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:05 am

re: functionality. I am a little surprised, but so far, for me, the emerging killer app for the watch is Apple Pay. No having to take out your wallet or phone (or even have the phone) to pay. Is it a must have? No, but I believe as more stores add NFC for check out, my wallet is going to shrink. Imagine not having to worry about misplacing a credit card? Or if your wallet is stolen, not having any credit cards in it to replace?