Will you buy an Apple Watch?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:00 pm

Which one appeals to you or for the person for which you'd buy it?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)

John3754

Re: Will you buy an Apple Watch?

Post by John3754 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:02 pm

No I wont.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:03 pm

Nope.
All the Best, | Joe

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:04 pm

Don't think so,,,I have 3 Casios now :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:05 pm

I'm not interested at all. I don't see how it would improve my life (and I can see how it would make my life worse).

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:07 pm

Maybe.

negreenfield

Post by negreenfield » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:07 pm

No. I own zero Apple products and I certainly wouldn't make this the first however my wife loves them, she is not interested at all either.

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:12 pm

I've been a Mac guy since 1984 & have owned countless Apple products. But I don't usually wear a watch & when I do it's just to tell time.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:16 pm

Maybe eventually. It would not surprise me if my wife eventually buys one for road running.

ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:22 pm

No I won't.

sambb

Post by sambb » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:26 pm

yes. everything apple has changed my life in such positive ways.

Elbowman

Post by Elbowman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:29 pm

Not until I see a "killer app".

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:33 pm

Maybe. I want to see how it shakes out.

But I just spent $11 at Walmart on a new watch last week. I was hoping I could get a good 5 years out of it!
BH87

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:35 pm

There's just not a lot of usefulness. The iPhone pulled me from my Blackberry because it made everything more fluid and accessible. It enhanced my ability to do things I need & want to do online. The whole of the Internet is available with a swipe and a tap.

The iPad is a step down in usefulness, but still provides another avenue for many people to access content. I had one and sold it towards my recent laptop purchase.

The Apple Watch will sell because of who makes it. The things it does do not interest me at all. I guess when you're a public company, there's going to be pressure to make the next greatest thing. I think this will be either a failure or at least not nearly as big as people think.

Mike

sambb

Post by sambb » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:38 pm

nobody has had a better idea for a watch in decades. Maybe digital over mechanical, in the 60s and 70s. This watch will be a game changer - by those who understand it. However, if one is part of the "flip phone" crowd, then no, you probably won't like it. It comes down to generational issues. Some people don't use texts or social media, or apple pay. You won't need the watch. If you don't use apps or workout, then you won't need it. However, some of us like those more modern things and the watch will be fantastic for us.

scone

Post by scone » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:40 pm

No, I don't like the design, particularly the proportions if the case and strap. Apart from the whiz-bang technical aspects, it's rather ordinary.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore

rob

Post by rob » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:41 pm

No because it's got to the point of needing reading glasses for me now.... so I ain't going to pull out glasses to read a small screen :-( I also have not worn a watch in 30 years.... so not going to happen on that front either.

I can see the benefit but I'm not sold over a smart phone.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

jdb

Post by jdb » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:42 pm

Only if it has a killer golf course GPS app to show distance from green.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:45 pm

Nope. I don't wear a watch, and even if I did, a watch isn't going to increase the physical activities I'm already doing on a regular basis. My phone does everything else I need. Besides, it's way much too expensive for a watch, anyway (except, perhaps, for Petro). Can you imagine paying $10,000+ for some of the models? Pure insanity. In fact, it makes Petro's $5000 watch look cheap by comparison. :)
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:47 pm

Yes, if it wasn't a watch. But, no since it is.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:57 pm

no, because then I'd have to buy an iphone too. You need the iphone to be in close proximity to the watch. Oh, and I don't want to have to charge the watch twice a day. Winding a watch once a day was enough trouble back in the olden days. Now we have to charge our watch twice a day to get it to work? And buy an iphone to boot?? We call this progress? No thank you.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

happyisland

Post by happyisland » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:59 pm

I'm a sucker for cool new gadgets, but this does not qualify in my book. In my opinion it doesn't push the envelope in any way - it basically just does all the same stuff as the android watches (which I am also uninterested in). The only mind-blowing new invention here is that they are going to somehow separate some fools from their $10,000 for some special edition or something. :oops:

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:02 pm

No, probably not this first generation Apple Watch. I like the design, but I suspect that they had to make too many compromises to get the size and battery life and sensors all acceptable. I'm a runner, and I'm interested in continuous HR monitoring, sleep monitoring, activity tracking, and GPS distance tracking. I also like the integration with the iPhone. I would be all over the Apple Watch if it did all of those things well. But it doesn't have independent GPS, so I'd have to bring my phone on my run too. The battery life is such that you'll need to charge it at night rather than have it track your sleep.

There are devices that do everything that I want, but there's not yet a single device that does it all. The new Garmin Fenix 3 does most of it, has impressive running and trekking features, has a nice design, and has great battery life. But it starts at $500, $550 with the HR strap, and it isn't as flexible and "smart" as the Apple Watch. And you have to wear the strap to get HR data. Who wants to wear a strap around their chest 24/7?

There will be a device in the next few years that does everything that I want. I'll buy that one. In the meantime, I'll pull my iPhone out of my pocket to check the time, and I'll wear my old, bulky Garmin 310XT GPS watch to measure my daily runs.
Last edited by jhfenton on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackholloway

Post by jackholloway » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:02 pm

I was a definite no until I talked to some owners of the LG G-watch, who made a compelling case for it as a navigation adjunct. I have moved to maybe.

I use google and apple kit, and tried but did not buy a surface pro recently. Tech is fun, but I do need to see a clear use case first,

ilovedogs

Post by ilovedogs » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:07 pm

No. I've used Apple products exclusively since 1986, but I have never been on its consumer bandwagon buying things I do not need.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:10 pm

jhfenton wrote:No, probably not this first generation Apple Watch. I like the design, but I suspect that they had to make too many compromises to get the size and battery life and sensors all acceptable. I'm a runner, and I'm interested in continuous HR monitoring, sleep monitoring, activity tracking, and GPS distance tracking. I also like the integration with the iPhone. I would be all over the Apple Watch if it did all of those things well. But it doesn't have independent GPS, so I'd have to bring my phone on my run too. The battery life is such that you'll need to charge it at night rather than have it track your sleep.

There are devices that do everything that I want, but there's not yet a single device that does it all. The new Garmin Fenix 3 does most of it, has impressive running and trekking features, has a nice design, and has great battery life. But it starts at $500, $550 with the HR strap, and it isn't as flexible and "smart" as the Apple Watch.

There will be a device in the next few years that does everything that I want. I'll buy that one. In the meantime, I'll pull my iPhone out of my pocket to check the time, and I'll wear my old, bulky Garmin 310XT GPS watch to measure my daily runs.
I might, especially if the heart rate monitor is all that is promised to be. So far there hasn't been a decent continuous heart rate monitor that doesn't use a HR strap. While iPhone integration is nice and necessary, I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do standalone. If I can make WiFi voice calls without a phone, it would be a plus. For GPS, maybe a clip on bluetooth GPS might be smaller than an iPhone 6 for those runs.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/03/blut ... -hands-on/

Maybe they can build one that fits on the iWatch band.

I think the killer app is going to be messaging, and phone calls will become even less relevant.

tigermilk

Post by tigermilk » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:12 pm

It's a solution in search of a problem, so no.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:23 pm

2001: Apple introduces iPod. 2005: I buy my first iPod (2nd generation Mini).
2010: Apple introduces iPad. 2014: my wife receives iPad Air as retirement present from her employer.

So, I dunno... maybe in four years or so.

On the other hand:
January, 1984: Apple introduces Macintosh. February, 1984, I buy my first Macintosh.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

LowER

Post by LowER » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Lots of multi-decade post-PC Appleishishness around me but I', not sure why I'd want one. I'd hoped that I bought my last watch more than a decade ago.

wolingfeng

Post by wolingfeng » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:31 pm

Definitely will go to apple store to check it out and try it, as times goes there will be many apps developed for it, which i think is the key to make it useful. Of course only history can tell how successful it is. Can't tell at this moment.

zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:37 pm

This should be tagged YAWatchT (Yet Another Watch Thread) :D

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:52 pm

rob wrote:No because it's got to the point of needing reading glasses for me now.... so I ain't going to pull out glasses to read a small screen :-( I also have not worn a watch in 30 years.... so not going to happen on that front either.
Exactly. It's not good for people who need reading glasses. I wouldn't want one anyway.

I can envision it now.... a future where everyone in a crowd is holding up their arm and watching their wrist. Kind of funny if you think about it.

Gary Guss

Post by Gary Guss » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:55 pm

Nope, I'm holding out for a Dick Tracy Wrist Radio..

Jcraz13

Post by Jcraz13 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:56 pm

sambb wrote:nobody has had a better idea for a watch in decades. Maybe digital over mechanical, in the 60s and 70s. This watch will be a game changer - by those who understand it. However, if one is part of the "flip phone" crowd, then no, you probably won't like it. It comes down to generational issues. Some people don't use texts or social media, or apple pay. You won't need the watch. If you don't use apps or workout, then you won't need it. However, some of us like those more modern things and the watch will be fantastic for us.
And some of us not part of the flip phone crowd can find better uses for $600.00 or $10,000...like compounding in a Vanguard fund and wearing a Casio for 1/10 of the cost . Another item to charge that duplicates what my iPhone already does..nah, compound away! :beer

6miths

Post by 6miths » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:59 pm

No. Not a watch person.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:10 pm

sambb wrote:nobody has had a better idea for a watch in decades. Maybe digital over mechanical, in the 60s and 70s. This watch will be a game changer - by those who understand it. However, if one is part of the "flip phone" crowd, then no, you probably won't like it. It comes down to generational issues. Some people don't use texts or social media, or apple pay. You won't need the watch. If you don't use apps or workout, then you won't need it. However, some of us like those more modern things and the watch will be fantastic for us.
I am most curious about the exercise applications. From what I have read, it offers nothing in this regard that isn't already done better by a device that is cheaper. To me, it sounds exactly like an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:13 pm

No, I would never consider it.

speedbump101

Post by speedbump101 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:19 pm

Ask me again when version 2.0 comes out. I never buy the public beta version of anything digital.

SB...
"Man is not a rational animal, he is a rationalizing animal" -Robert A. Heinlein

skylar

Post by skylar » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:22 pm

6miths wrote:No. Not a watch person.
No. Not an Apple person. :)

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:32 pm

Wearable is coming but not yet useful enough to me.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:59 pm

Sambb, not wanting an Apple Watch doesn't make someone an ignorant technophobe. I wouldn't call myself an early adopter, but I like gadgets as much as the next guy, and I enjoy learning about new gadgets and finding out what they can do. I'm pretty far from collecting Social Security, I wear an activity tracker, and my top of the line phone compares pretty favorably with the iPhone you're probably carrying around, but I won't get an Apple Watch. I think it's overpriced, it's shockingly ugly for an Apple product, the knob is on the wrong side (I'm left-handed and wear my watch on my right wrist), I don't have the time or patience to charge the damn thing every day ("ooh, an ALL DAY BATTERY!"), I don't have an iPhone, and I have no interest in locking myself into the Apple ecosystem.

But if it makes you feel better to dismiss someone not wanting to buy an Apple Watch as someone who doesn't "understand it" or is afflicted by "generational issues," then sure, tell yourself that.
Last edited by FedGuy on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

victorb

Post by victorb » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:01 pm

There may be some neat features, however, needing a 5 or 6 iPhone and recharging it every day seems like more hassle than I want.

leod

Post by leod » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:32 pm

No, but the mesh bracelet option looks nice

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:51 pm

I use a macbook pro, iPad, iPod Touch and an iPhone. I will not buy the apple watch. I haven't worn a watch in over 10 years and really don't want to again.

Apple and HBO's exclusive deal with HBO Now sounds more interesting. Apple TV is now $69.
Wiki

Bernie's Dad

Post by Bernie's Dad » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:06 am

.. No ..

sambb

Post by sambb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:29 am

FedGuy wrote:
Sambb, not wanting an Apple Watch doesn't make someone an ignorant technophobe. I wouldn't call myself an early adopter, but I like gadgets as much as the next guy, and I enjoy learning about new gadgets and finding out what they can do. I'm pretty far from collecting Social Security, I wear an activity tracker, and my top of the line phone compares pretty favorably with the iPhone you're probably carrying around, but I won't get an Apple Watch. I think it's overpriced, it's shockingly ugly for an Apple product, the knob is on the wrong side (I'm left-handed and wear my watch on my right wrist), I don't have the time or patience to charge the damn thing every day ("ooh, an ALL DAY BATTERY!"), I don't have an iPhone, and I have no interest in locking myself into the Apple ecosystem.

But if it makes you feel better to dismiss someone not wanting to buy an Apple Watch as someone who doesn't "understand it" or is afflicted by "generational issues," then sure, tell yourself that.

I am glad that you won't get an iwatch because that makes sense, it only works with an iPhone -- you certainly would be frustrated with it, since you have to have an iPhone to work with it. Flip phone and android users shouldn't buy the watch first. For them, I think the best way to get an iwatch is to get an iPhone first and understand it - apps, apple pay, iTunes, etc. Then move on to an iwatch. I would not advocate getting the iwatch without an iPhone.

Several studies have shown iPhone users tend to be have higher income than other phone users -- very interesting, and lots of BH implications of this. There certainly are demographic differences, and generational ones as well. Apple is built on the vision of Steve Jobs, probably the top CEO in the history of the world, and his vision changed the world as we know it. From an economic standpoint, AAPL has made several people wealthy, including all of those owning index funds over the last 10 years. It has been a huge huge contributor to the total return of the s&p 500. I understand that one may not like AAPL products, but if one is an index fund investor, than it is very well might be one's top stock holding. Since it is the highest market cap company in the USA.

Furthermore, Apple has done a great job enabling all generations to understand technology. But, when I stand in line at apple launches of amazing products, the crowd is mostly young people who understand its technology the best, and create an energy for a corporate product that i have never seen in any other company. Younger generations seem to understand apple so well. For them, the iwatch is going to be huge. I have never seen them wear an activity tracker, but I will look for them on launch day. Let's see if there are lines on the launch day. I bet there will be. Maybe i am wrong and activity trackers will be everywhere and will be prettier, but i think the iwatch will be bigger for iPhone users. Which activity tracker compares to the iwatch? I didn't know these two things would compete. I looked on amazon at them, and they seem uglier to me than the iwatch, they can't do iMessage or apple pay, or email, or other things. I'm not sure there will be apps for them, but i bet there will be for the iwatch.

Of course it could flop also. So what. At least apple is trying something different, a US company which has been built into the top company in the world in a very short time. I don't like all apple products, but most are amazing. And i hope, for the sake of investors in the S&P or the total market fund, that the iwatch takes off, so index investors can retire earlier.

But yes, it makes sense that a non-iphone user shouldn't buy an iwatch. I would recommend an iPhone 6 for that user first, and then consider a watch after familiarizing oneself with the phone. Apple stores can set up 1 on 1s to learn how to use them, so the technology can be accessible and understood by all, in an incredible environment. I would recommend that route prior to an iwatch purchase. I am sure the apple stores can help to adapt the product to ones interests and lifestyle.

As far as left handed, just to gently educate oneself on the current technology, isn't the iwatch reversible? It can be worn both ways from what i have heard. In other words, unlike a flip phone, apple products (iPad, iPhone, iwatch) can adjust their screens by the direction they are held. There are settings on these devices to automatically rotate, and they can be fixed as well. This is helpful for people who are left handed and want to use an iwatch i think. I haven't tried it yet, but i thought this was the case. Although you wrote that the knob is on the wrong side, i believe that with the iwatch, you just turn it around and set it for right or left handed... It is important to "understand it". Admittedly, technology can be challenging for people, and everyone has their limitations of acceptance of "thinking differently". It is a moving target. I remember when people had blackberries and said they would never leave them..

Maybe give apple a chance? - we all could learn a lot from that company. one handed watches and activity trackers might be yesteryear's tech. I'm not sure i considered those in the same league as an iwatch, but that is anyone's guess and time will tell. Hope launch does well though, since it is my top holding in the S&P 500.
Last edited by sambb on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:24 am

No Apple watch in my future but the new Macbook looks sweet. I don't know if the lack of ports would be an issue though. Fortunately I don't need any more computers for the time being.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

Cernel

Post by Cernel » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:49 am

Nope. Don't own any Apple Products. My kids do, but not I.

crg11

Post by crg11 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:22 am

I'm considering it. I can see the uses for the Apple Watch. The health angle is probably what excites me the most. Also early reports suggest that those who have the watch end up using their phone much less than before and are much less disruptive in public settings since you can simply glance at the watch vs. pulling the phone out of your pocket and fumbling through several menus. Saving seconds per interaction over time adds up to quite a lot.

We'll see, I think I have to try it in person first.

corner559

Post by corner559 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:25 am

I don't see the point when my iPhone is in my pocket. A total waste IMHO.