Internet/Smartphone Usage in China? Security?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kirent

Internet/Smartphone Usage in China? Security?

Post by kirent »

Has anybody here travelled to China and either accessed the Internet from Wi-Fi or through a local SIM/cellular usage?

If so did you have any concerns about security when accessing internet accounts (email, banking etc.)? Did you use any VPN services etc.?

I plan to go on a trip there but have been told that it's better to go offline while there.

Thanks for your help!
Disclaimer: I am not a financial or legal expert and all information I provide is given for entertainment purposes only, at your own risk and with no guarantees of accuracy.
Bacchus01

Re: Internet/Smartphone Usage in China? Security?

Post by Bacchus01 »

I've traveled on 6 continents and many different countries, including China. I've never had any security issues with my electronics, ever.
bluejello

Post by bluejello »

SIM cards are easy — there are vending machines in the Shanghai and Beijing airports where you can get a sim card with 1 GB of data for around $20 USD. Wechat is the messaging app of choice in China, and Google will be blocked so you have to use Baidu to search. Downloading maps in advance with an app like Triposo would be a good idea.

Accessing sites that are blocked by the great firewall (Google, Facebook, Twitter, WSJ, NY Times, etc.) is more challenging. There are VPNs that you can subscribe to like StrongVPN and ExpressVPN that will allow you to get access to these sites, but you have to pay a small subscription fee.

Be careful with leaving your laptop unguarded, as I've heard many tales of security breaches: http://www.infoworld.com/article/261561 ... alone.html. I just carry my laptop and cellphone with me at all times.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

As we traveled south, away from the capital (Beijing) access to sites became easier. By the time we reached Shanghai/Hong Kong, most sites were available.

In Beijing, we were able to get sites such as USA Today however the news was "sanitized" to remove any negative impact stories that the Chinese authorities did not want the "public" to receive. However, I was able to see the full content of my local newspaper which had all the world/local news. Apparently while they do block certain DSN's they certainly are not aware of the one-offs.

For us, the most important access was Skype, which we used to communicate back home every day using our travel net-book. Using the hotel internet, we did not have to use our cell phones at all.

This info was from our trip in late 2013. Of course things change so I can't comment on current limitations. BTW, we did not access any personal data or leave our net-book out of sight. While we're aware of the possibilities of loading malware on our device, the same thing could happen in any open network here in the States.

FWIW,

- Ron
kDictavissent

Post by kDictavissent »

On my last trip to the Shanghai area, I brought a "burner" cell phone -- unlocked Global GSM Moto E phone with 2G/3G support. Got a SIM through China Unicom, had plenty of data for the trip and a local in-country number.

Reportedly, Internet access is freer within a certain radius of major cities; 75 km is the distance for Shanghai is my understanding. Additionally, Western-brand (or Malay/Singaporean/etc. brand) hotels in these zones sometimes have two Internet connections, one through a local provider like China Telecom and a second, "Western" connection where traffic routes through Hong Kong.

Commercial VPNs are under greater scrutiny in China and many popular providers have been blocked. If your employer provides a VPN that allows reasonable personal use, you might ask about whether that is an option on your trip.

I used VPN at all times on my phone (except when only accessing Skype), did not access banking sites, and forwarded my Gmail email to a burner account.

Your mileage and your personal level of paranoia may vary!
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

I used my company's VPN when I was there. You should have no expectation of privacy if you aren't using a VPN over there. Of course, it's the same here, so...
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

kirent wrote:Has anybody here travelled to China and either accessed the Internet from Wi-Fi or through a local SIM/cellular usage?

If so did you have any concerns about security when accessing internet accounts (email, banking etc.)? Did you use any VPN services etc.?

I plan to go on a trip there but have been told that it's better to go offline while there.

Thanks for your help!
Try not to access your banking or other sensitive financial information whilst there, and try not to keep that access information on your device.

You might change your email pwds before you go, and when you return.

It's best to err on the side of caution.
ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge »

@KyleAAA is correct: there's no reasonable expectation of privacy if you're not using VPN access.

Almost half of my family lives in the PRC, so we're familiar with travel/security. We've also been there, and to PRC protectorates, for work.

Do not, however, connect to any "open" networks. It's not that folks are specifically targeting you: it's that prying eyes target anyone who signs on - either to monitor, fish, control, or deposit (similar to Stateside, but we see it on a smaller scale).

One anecdote that few know is that information access is only mildly, if absently, restricted in high end international hotels. It is not a given, but you'll often see direct CNN feeds, Al Jazira, FoxNews, etc.

China's an amazingly fantastic place: don't let the rules of an autocracy deflect your interest in a long, rich cultural history strengthened by doggedness and firsts.

PS: If you have any connection to government service (even municipal/local) do *not* take any electronic devices. If you must communicate remotely, use a burner phone.
Polymath.