Growing out long hair and growing a beard

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
StretchArmstrong

Growing out long hair and growing a beard

Post by StretchArmstrong » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:38 pm

On the hair-
I always kept really short, neat hair. I've never had long hair and always worked in more formal office environments so I never had a chance to experiment / let it grow out. Now I'm in big hair country and I'm ready to let it grow wild! I don't have access to a barber unless I take a special trip to town. For those of you with long hair, what products do you use to take care of it and style it?

On the beard-
I've never been able to get away with growing any facial hair. It grows really slow and patchy. I've let it grow now for 4 months and it's actually filled in the patchy spots. What products do you use to take care of your beard? Any special beard oil? Do you comb it (and what type of comb), or let it ride?

Mudpuppy

Re: Growing out long hair and growing a beard

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:45 pm

Woman here, so can't answer anything about the beard, but care of long hair I can help out with.

Care of long hair really does depend on your hair type. Is your hair very curly, curly, wavy, straight? Are the individual hairs thin, normal or coarse? Is your scalp oily, normal, or dry? Does your hair have any specific issues like split ends, frizz, fly-away hair?

Your hair care products really have to be tailored to you. There is no one size fits all once you have a bit of hair to care for.

StretchArmstrong

Post by StretchArmstrong » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:28 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:Woman here, so can't answer anything about the beard, but care of long hair I can help out with.

Care of long hair really does depend on your hair type. Is your hair very curly, curly, wavy, straight? Are the individual hairs thin, normal or coarse? Is your scalp oily, normal, or dry? Does your hair have any specific issues like split ends, frizz, fly-away hair?

Your hair care products really have to be tailored to you. There is no one size fits all once you have a bit of hair to care for.
My hair is wavy, or somewhere in between straight and wavy. The individual hairs are normal. My scalp is oily. No other real issues, what exactly is fly away hair?

CassiusRex

Post by CassiusRex » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:00 pm

My employer only allows facial hair 3 months of the year, so my experience is limited. Last year I had good success with coconut oil. If you use too much it looks shiny, but that fades after an hour or so, alleviating any scratchiness. My wife mentioned that I smelled like a crayon (it was refined coconut oil) so this year I might experiment with a few drops of essential oil.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:13 pm

StretchArmstrong wrote:what exactly is fly away hair?
Fly away hair: A combination of cold air and low humidity can result in static electricity causing fly away hair.

john94549

Post by john94549 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:47 pm

As I am retired, I go to the barber only when forced by the wife.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:31 pm

No experience with the product, but i love the name
Grave before shave beard oil
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IHVLPLM?psc=1
Mike

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:35 am

Duckie wrote:
StretchArmstrong wrote:what exactly is fly away hair?
Fly away hair: A combination of cold air and low humidity can result in static electricity causing fly away hair.
More generally, some people have some hair strands that are shorter than the rest. If those strands like to stick out all over the place, without static electricity being involved, then that's fly away hair. Usually does mean the hair needs more moisture though.
StretchArmstrong wrote:My hair is wavy, or somewhere in between straight and wavy. The individual hairs are normal. My scalp is oily. No other real issues, what exactly is fly away hair?
If you haven't noticed too many issues besides the oily scalp, you're probably going to be fine with using most conditioners. To avoid the oily scalp, apply the conditioner primarily to the length of the hair and only apply a little to the scalp.

You might also try a natural shampoo and conditioner combination. If one is to believe the no-shampoo crowd, synthetic products can trigger an oily scalp (I'm not quite convinced of this, but I use natural products myself to avoid fragrances since I get horribly itchy from most botanical fragrances). Keep in mind that natural conditioners can go rancid since they're using natural oils, so sniff before buying. If it smells bad, it's probably gone rancid.

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:52 am

StretchArmstrong wrote:For those of you with long hair, what products do you use to take care of it and style it?
I use the cheapest shampoo and conditioner I can find. Over the years I've tried all sorts of expensive stuff, including products from salons, health food stores, etc. and it never made a difference. At one point I read Paula Begoin's book on hair care products and she basically agrees that most shampoos are the same, they all contain the same cleansing ingredients, even most of the so-called "all natural" shampoos. Shampoos advertised as "natural" often contain herb-y things that can irritate the scalp. And there really is no such thing as a "hypo-allergenic" shampoo. Maybe some people can see differences in brands on their hair but I never have.

A small amount of shampoo, lather, rinse and repeat like the directions say. Then conditioner on the ends. Sometimes I alternate shampoo brands to get the hair extra-clean. Rinsing the hair under a tap going full blast seems to get it cleaner than washing under a shower.

What does make a difference is a good haircut with regular clipping of frayed ends. Scraggly, ragged hair never looks good, nor does a haircut that overwhelms one's face. I have a beautician's scissors for keeping the ends clipped and neat-looking between haircuts.

tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:12 am

Not a fan of facial hair, but if you must, keep it very tidy. I have long naturally curly hair that I brush daily with Mason-Pearson natural boar bristle hair brushes. These are pricey but so worth it, and are the keystone of my hair care. Minimal shampooing needed, but I use an assortment of Phyto brand. Handle hair gently at all times, try not to tangle when washing, and keep product to a minimum.

I also stopped coloring my hair and at 65 yo it is in the best and longest condition of my life and looks great if I do say so. Scissors never touch it---split ends are a thing of the past. Good luck Stretch---beautiful hair is worth a little effort!
It's Good To Be A Boglehead

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:23 am

I have tried a couple beard oils and found Beardbrand "Tree Ranger" to be my favorite

It's a little expensive, though. I'd like to experiment with making my own. Youtube has some good videos.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:28 am

tuckeverlasting wrote:Not a fan of facial hair, but if you must, keep it very tidy. ...

I also stopped coloring my hair and at 65 yo it is in the best and longest condition of my life and looks great if I do say so.
+1 to both those things.

I use Mill Creek Biotene H-24 shampoo. It's unscented. A bottle costs about $8 and lasts forever. I use their conditioner once every few months, generally in the winter when there's a static electricity problem.

As to no barber around, you can learn to cut your own hair and do a better job than a professional, in general.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:35 am

StretchArmstrong wrote:For those of you with long hair, what products do you use to take care of it and style it?
I had extremely long hair for many years. Shampoo, comb it out. Nothing else was needed. If out in the wind or otherwise need to keep it under control, pull it back into a pony tail. Use cloth covered elastics of some type, not rubber bands which tends to break off the hair.
On the beard-
I've never been able to get away with growing any facial hair. It grows really slow and patchy. I've let it grow now for 4 months and it's actually filled in the patchy spots. What products do you use to take care of your beard? Any special beard oil? Do you comb it (and what type of comb), or let it ride?
Same as hair though was never long enough pull into a pony tail. :)

One can buy any number of products at any expense level desired, but frankly IMHO is waste of money. At least for my hair/beard. It really does not have to be high maintenance. At most if hair is dry some conditioner.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:45 am

I like long hair on men as on The Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Richard Feynman, and Mel Lindauer.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:03 pm

Mrs.Feeley wrote:I use the cheapest shampoo and conditioner I can find. Over the years I've tried all sorts of expensive stuff, including products from salons, health food stores, etc. and it never made a difference. At one point I read Paula Begoin's book on hair care products and she basically agrees that most shampoos are the same, they all contain the same cleansing ingredients, even most of the so-called "all natural" shampoos. Shampoos advertised as "natural" often contain herb-y things that can irritate the scalp. And there really is no such thing as a "hypo-allergenic" shampoo. Maybe some people can see differences in brands on their hair but I never have.
While there is very little difference in formula in the traditional shampoo and conditioner aisle between various common commercial brands touting this and that, if you wander on over to the specialty shampoo and conditioner aisle, you can find formulas that vary dramatically from the norm. Some formulas are truly "all natural", e.g. a blend of oils for conditioner. For people with naturally curly, coarse hair, this can make a world of difference.

I actually found my current brand at a health food store, but I can buy it in 32oz bottles on Amazon for $10, so it's still rather cost-effective. It's not truly "all natural" (it still has some standard cleaning and conditioning chemicals found in traditional commercial products), but it is truly fragrance free which is important for me.

So point is that cheap will work for most people, but if the cheapest option on the standard aisle isn't working for you, wander a little bit to find some other options.

pryan

Post by pryan » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:46 pm

Why do anything different? I retired a year ago and decided to go back to my SoCal roots. If you're looking for the wild hair look do what I do - nothing different. As far as the beard I've had one off and on most of my adult life. At my age, 65, I keep it trimmed closer but don't do anything other than use shampoo.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:29 pm

VictoriaF wrote:I like long hair on men as on The Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Richard Feynman, and Mel Lindauer.

Victoria
When he said long hair, I was thinking more like Willie Nelson, not like Feynman. For me, hair like the former's is a complete turn off, as are beards. To each his own :D

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:34 pm

dolphinsaremammals wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:I like long hair on men as on The Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Richard Feynman, and Mel Lindauer.

Victoria
When he said long hair, I was thinking more like Willie Nelson, not like Feynman. For me, hair like the former's is a complete turn off, as are beards. To each his own :D
There are several pictures of Feynman with varying hair length. I like this one. Willie Nelson is not my type.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:40 pm

Pretty much like this one, which I would say is ideal.

The moderators will be after us any minute :D

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:41 pm

dolphinsaremammals wrote:Pretty much like this one, which I would say is ideal.

I like your Feynman even better than mine {laughing},

Victoria

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:46 pm

StretchArmstrong wrote:On the hair-
I always kept really short, neat hair. I've never had long hair and always worked in more formal office environments so I never had a chance to experiment / let it grow out. Now I'm in big hair country and I'm ready to let it grow wild! I don't have access to a barber unless I take a special trip to town. For those of you with long hair, what products do you use to take care of it and style it?

On the beard-
How does your husband feel about this?

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:01 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
dolphinsaremammals wrote:Pretty much like this one, which I would say is ideal.

I like your Feynman even better than mine {laughing},

Victoria
With the wonderful facial features and expressions Feynman had, he would've looked great bald. Good to see these photos again and again...
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

StretchArmstrong

Post by StretchArmstrong » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:50 pm

mhalley wrote:No experience with the product, but i love the name
Grave before shave beard oil
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IHVLPLM?psc=1
Mike
I like the name too, just ordered some.

Lots of good info on here regarding the hair, it will be exciting to try something new.

Gary Guss

Post by Gary Guss » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:56 pm

My hair is waving goodbye for the most part, soon I'll have eyebrows over my ears! Mustache is still good however.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:57 am

Im pretty much bald but im currently growing an epic beard. Its huge and bushy. Why...because I can. I dont put products in it to keep it pretty. I comb it when I get out of the shower and a couple times a day. When im ready ill remove it from my body. No one will dictate when that event will happen but me.