Strategy Games

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Visitor

Strategy Games

Post by Visitor »

Curious how many Diehards out there play strategy games? I'm interested in on-line Internet games I could play against friends that are fairly easy to learn and don't take long to complete unless we can save them.

I love Risk and the old Amiga Empire Game and wondered if anyone out there has any suggestions?

Thanks!
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

http://weewar.com/

A turn-based strategy game, similar to Advance Wars.

http://www.conquerorgame.com/index2.php

Conquer, medieval Europe. Similar to Risk.
Topic Author
Visitor

Thanks

Post by Visitor »

Thanks AlohaJoe! Are these games free? Do you know of any space games or any others by chance?
AlohaJoe

Re: Thanks

Post by AlohaJoe »

Visitor wrote:Thanks AlohaJoe! Are these games free? Do you know of any space games or any others by chance?
Yes, they are played directly in your browser for free. I don't know of any others off the top of my head. If you google for "flash based" or "brower based" turn based strategy games you'll probably find more.
Topic Author
Visitor

Re: Thanks

Post by Visitor »

AlohaJoe wrote:
Visitor wrote:Thanks AlohaJoe! Are these games free? Do you know of any space games or any others by chance?
Yes, they are played directly in your browser for free. I don't know of any others off the top of my head. If you google for "flash based" or "brower based" turn based strategy games you'll probably find more.
Thanks so much for your help! :D
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

Try these too (all are turn-based games, can be played multiplayer online, and are open-source): Bob
Eric White

Post by Eric White »

CyberBob wrote:Try these too (all are turn-based games, can be played multiplayer online, and are open-source): Bob
I wholeheartedly agree with Cyberbob's recommendations.

I'm a massive Axis & Allies boardgame fan. It's tough to play with family & friends scattered across the country though. TripleA is a decent substitute. I've personally had trouble with it in Vista however.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Eric
exeunt

Post by exeunt »

The Battle for Wesnoth is pretty fun, but can get tricky.
dave.d

Post by dave.d »

Historical wargamer here, Avalon Hill hexagon style -- mostly Civil War and WW2. Hard to play online, but not impossible due to the CyberBoard program.
Value-based allocation.
Topic Author
Visitor

Thanks

Post by Visitor »

Thanks guys. I'm retired military and 15 years ago a few of my friends use to get together to play strategy games at the house. Now that we have more time we're looking to rekindle those hostilities over the Internet.

That's why I'm primarily looking for Internet multi-player strategy games that are fairly easy to learn, don't take forever to complete but are addictive and fun!

I'll check out these others and please inform me of your preferred choices!

Heck later on maybe we should all hook up and play!
Unormal

Post by Unormal »

I game extensively, and I'd say if your ex military and like war games of the intermediate to advanced variety, there's really nothing even CLOSE to steel panthers:

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/SPCamo/wSPWW2/6.htm

This is a squad-level world war 2 strategy game you can play by e-mail. It has a steep learning curve, but MAN is it amazing. It has detaled stats for just about anything in world war 2, ANYTHING. It has a huge community and is just amazingly broad. It has a pretty good computer AI as well.

If you're willing to put in a little time to learn, and don't mind dated graphics, this is it as far as 'realistic' wargaming goes.

and it's free, though you can pay these guys that did a windows port of it (it's from many years ago originally), to get even more improvements if you want.
NYCPete

Post by NYCPete »

The ULTIMATE free game for Risk lovers out there! It plays with identical rules to Risk. Literally an online internet version of the game.

www.conquerclub.com

Best,
Peter
To the extent that a fool knows his foolishness, | He may be deemed wise | A fool who considers himself wise | Is indeed a fool. | | Buddha
NYCPete

Post by NYCPete »

Speaking of space age strategy, I've been wasting far too much free time lately with Ogame. :D

www.ogame.org

Best,
Peter

P.S. If you end up trying Ogame, join universe 19. If it seems like something you're into, private message me and I'll send you resources. I'm pretty established there in Uni 19 already.
To the extent that a fool knows his foolishness, | He may be deemed wise | A fool who considers himself wise | Is indeed a fool. | | Buddha
grabiner
Advisory Board

I play in Games Club of Maryland

Post by grabiner »

I play at Games Club of Maryland, several locations. http://www.gamesclubofmd.org

And in many financial-based games, I tend to be reluctant to spend my resources, and to focus on long-term returns. (Sometimes, this doesn't work well, as I have invested for long-term returns which lasted past the end of the game.)

I haven't met anyone else who talked about Vanguard investing, even when we played a stock-market style game (18xx rail games, for example).
Wiki David Grabiner
Ruprecht

Post by Ruprecht »

modal

Post by modal »

Not really into the computer stuff much these days and the MMO stuff looks like an addiction I don't want to persue.

I have been getting into board games.

Retro Avalon Hill stuff
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/
http://www.riograndegames.com/
http://www.smirkanddagger.com/

Some I remember playing...
History of War
Wiz War
Betrayal on Haunted Hill
Some team based Chultu game
Power Grid
Shogun
modal

Post by modal »

Oh yeah

Tacops , a turn based war game with prefabbed scenarios.
http://www.battlefront.com

If you're into war games you might like it. I played it quite a bit in the early 90s.
Topic Author
Visitor

Hmmm

Post by Visitor »

Wow didn't realize there were so many game players on here! Thanks for all of the links guys I'll have to check them out.

NYCPete where are the instructions to the game? It looks interesting.
modal

Post by modal »

dave.d wrote:Historical wargamer here, Avalon Hill hexagon style -- mostly Civil War and WW2. Hard to play online, but not impossible due to the CyberBoard program.
You looked at Vassal.

They have a lot of ASQL maps/counters for Vassal.
http://www.wargameacademy.org/sqla/Vsql/
NYCPete

Re: Hmmm

Post by NYCPete »

Visitor wrote:Wow didn't realize there were so many game players on here! Thanks for all of the links guys I'll have to check them out.

NYCPete where are the instructions to the game? It looks interesting.
I'm assuming you mean Ogame, since you already know Risk. Well, part of the charm of Ogame is that there are no set instructions on the game site itself (except for some very basic stuff to get you going), but there is a wealth of strategy out there in player produced forums, which are accessed through the site. The actual playing is easy, it's the strategy that's hard! A portion of my enjoyment of the game is reading up on the different strategies online, and talking to other players in my alliance for guidance. Here's my favorite bookmark for the game:

http://ogame.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

There are also lots of browser tools that you can download for your browser so you can tailor layout to your tastes and playing style. (the same is also true of ConquerClub, the online Risk game I mentioned earlier).

While there are battles and defenses and such, Ogame is very much about resource management, which I find the most gratifying about the game. I suspect many gamer Diehards would really get into this type of thing. It's light on movable graphics (meaning none!) but a lot of the artwork and names pay homage to Robotech, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, and Star Trek.

Best,
Peter
johnoutk

Post by johnoutk »

Not really a strategy game in the strict sense you're probaby thinking of, but it is a neat game. It's called 'Hogs of War' and it's for the old Playstation 1. It's a turn-based war game that uses pigs as the soldiers. Sounds corny, but it's an amazing game. Each soldier has special abilities and weapons. You have various landscapes and weapons available to you. You really have to think about a multitude of things when you play this game. Simple things include keeping your guys far enough apart so they don't take injuries in masse, hiding from your enemies sniper, trying to do further damage to your enemy by using concussive blasts to propel him into a mine field and it goes on from there.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Man, I used to love turn-based strategy games, particularly Civil War and WWII.  "Third Reich" by Avalon Hill was the best - I waited years for that to come out for the PC, only to find later that the version doesn't work on anything more recent than Windows 95.  Still copy my useless copy, though.The Battleground series was pretty good for the Civil War, but I'm not sure if you can play it on the internet.JT
skywolf

Post by skywolf »

There are a very large number of strategy and wargames out there.

I suggest that you narrow down what you are interested in (wargames, time period, empire building, fantasy, space, economic, political, etc.... strategy games) and then ask the question at
www.wargamer.com

You can also look at www.strategygamer.com and armchairgeneral.

You also need to decide what platform you want to play the games. Boardgames. PC games or console games. For strategy games, PC game and board games have by far the most options.

The suggestion that another poster has about using vassal to play board wargames by email is something done by tens of thousands.

You might also consider if you are interested in beer & pretzel games, historic simulations, or very complex realistic games.

Many of the strategy and wargames have demos that are free.

I own at least 50 computer strategy games and have about 40 boardgame strategy war games.

Your question is literally unanswerable unless you can narrow down what you are looking for. This is also not the best forum to ask this question. I suggest you use the forum at www.wargamer.com after you think about the level of play, type of strategy game, time period, etc....

As a very, very brief start - some of the PC favorites of strategy gamers of all time include:
Civilization 2 and Civilization 4 (roughly building a civlization)
Space Empires 4 (space strategy)
Dominions 3 (fantasy and magic strategy and empire building)
Panzer General 2
Combat Mission (any of the three in the series)
Hearts of Iron 2
Europa Universalis 2
Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3
Railroad Tycoon
Steel Panthers

Straight Wargames are such a broad pool of games that I hesitate to make any recommendations beyond the starter level classics of Panzer General 2, Combat Mission or Steel Panthers
Topic Author
Visitor

Hmmm

Post by Visitor »

Skywolf I'll do a search vis the link you provided but you may be able to further assist me here. I'm primarily looking for PC empire building multi-player strategy games (fantasy, space, etc) that can be played on the Internet with my friends.

It doesn't have to fit this criteria as long as its fairly simple to learn and is addictive to play.

Thanks for all of your help!

NYCPete I'll take a look at what you provided as soon as I get a chance. Thanks so much for your help.
Earl Lemongrab

Re: Strategy Games

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Deliberately resurrecting an old thread. I enjoy strategy games, in particular turn-based ones with computer "AI" opponents so I can use them as a form of solitaire. When I went to my reduced schedule (you can look back in my posts for the details on that) one of the things I wanted to do was find something new to play on my PC at home.

I also enjoy science fiction, notably "space opera", so a game in that milieu was desirable. In the industry, these are called "4X", as in eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate. I found a number of examples of online real-time games, but those weren't really what I was looking for. I then stumbled upon one called "FreeOrion", inspired by the old "Masters of Orion" but not a clone. The reason for the thread rejuvenation is that this is mentioned here, meaning that I should have started looking on the forum.

FreeOrion is an open-source effort, so of course at the great Boglehead price of totally free. It's been in development for something like fifteen years (yet they still consider it "alpha"). Lately, the developers have been on a tear and really adding some features. I have been playing latest stable release from September, but there have been many builds with new features since then. At some point I'll get a later one.

The game is very customizable. The start-up allows choosing numbers of opponents, their aggression level, the number of systems in the universe, frequency of "monsters", etc. This allows very different sorts of games from the same base. They also use a lot of configuration files and python scripts, which the user can modify to an extent. They also provide a multi-player mode, either over the internet or "hot-seat".

The main downsides are that it can get somewhat laggy in the later turns. Also, games can take a long time, depending on the setup and how it plays out. My last one took 350 turns. Not sure what that was in total time, but ten hours or more I'm sure. People using latest test builds have to be prepared for bugs and crashes and such. The developers are better at adding features than updating documentation (surprise!). But you can get good answers to questions on the forums, very helpful for the new and confused.

If you think you might like this, give it a try. Binary releases for Windows and Mac are made available, but UNIX users need to compile from source.

http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Main_Page

The support forums are here:
http://www.freeorion.org/forum/index.php

Earl
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I am so "old school". STRATEGO
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I'm glad you resurrected this thread. There were a lot of old PC-based strategy games which had pretty good playablity, but haven't survived the operating systems upgrades (and sheer speed of cpus) over the years. Newer games have whizzier graphics, but not better playability. I'll have to take a look at the freeorion option.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Chess is hands down the best, most durable, and flexible board game.

Play it casually or study it seriously.

Play online or on a board

Tons of amazing learning resources if you want to improve

Never obsolete

Has a truly rich and deep chess literary history that you can enjoy for a lifetime.

And play it fast or slow. Most online games are played with 5 or 3 mins per side for all moves.
horste

Post by horste »

One of my favorite strategy games online, Karnij. It was previously called Planetary Conquest. It is Risk, meets Axis and Allies, with math-wizardry in the background. It is a no-frills game where you can causally or competitively play. You have 24 hours to take your turn, as does everyone else playing the game. Gives you plenty of time to continue living your life. I strongly recommend this game.

http://www.tumatollc.com/karnij/index.p ... 0d2c07fff0
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

lightheir wrote:Chess is hands down the best, most durable, and flexible board game.
Although I greatly enjoy strategic games, chess never appealed to me for whatever reason. Different strokes and all that.

Earl
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I've enjoyed playing Carcasonne. Its not super complicated and involves some luck.
trad3fgh

Post by trad3fgh »

Total War Series and Starcraft are both great.
Starcraft 2 is super cheap if you get it on sale, and it has unlimited replay-ability with mods.

Any game made by Paradox is kind of amazing (Mount and Blade: Warband).
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Earl Lemongrab wrote:FreeOrion is an open-source effort, so of course at the great Boglehead price of totally free. It's been in development for something like fifteen years (yet they still consider it "alpha"). Lately, the developers have been on a tear and really adding some features. I have been playing latest stable release from September, but there have been many builds with new features since then.
http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Main_Page

The support forums are here:
http://www.freeorion.org/forum/index.php
Quick update to say that the developers have a new stable release, 0.4.6.

Earl