Oil & Vinegar

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
VesperLynd

Oil & Vinegar

Post by VesperLynd » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:05 am

I eat a lot of vegetables and salads, but it seems that the dressings I've been using all contain oils that are not the healthiest - this sends me back
to olive and nut oils and vinegars.

I know we have some foodies here - can anyone suggest a favorite balsamic or oil brand, etc.?

Thanks!

Grt2bOutdoors

Re: Oil & Vinegar

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:13 am

Newmans Own Balsamic or Ken's.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:03 pm

Make your own, its cheaper, tastes better, and you'll know exactly what's in it. I prefer a vinegarette made with Dijon mustard. Start with a couple of tablespoons of wine vinegar, two teaspoons of dijon mustard, a teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of black pepper , a teaspoon of oregano and a tablespoon of minced garlic. Whisk them all together, then slowly drizzle in about 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil,whisking as you do so. Makes a very nice dressing. Experiment with the herbs, try substituting taragon for oregano, add some basil, or creole mustard for dijon. Try it with both white wine and red wine vinegar, or substitute lemon juice for some or all of the vinegar. Change up the amounts of the other ingredients until you find a recipe you really like. You can make it for very little money and it will be fresh, taste better and be better for you than anything you might get out of a bottle.
gatorman

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:07 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Newmans Own Balsamic or Ken's.

+1 Excellent choices,,we use the same :happy

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

stilts1007

Post by stilts1007 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:10 pm

+1 suggestion of making your own, it is easier and way cheaper, and you know exactly what is going into it.
For olive oil, we have tried a bunch and have mostly settled on the Trader Joe's Extra Virgin California Estate olive oil. Tastes as good as other more expensive oils, and while not great for high-heat cooking (low smoke point), great for dressings.
We usually use balsamic vinegar instead of wine vinegar for vinaigrette dressings, although personal preferences vary. For something different, try using rice vinegar and grating some ginger and garlic to make a nice Asian-y dressing, great on cabbage or for a marinade. Or avocado oil, white vinegar, and a little of your favorite hot sauce with Mexican veggies and grilled chicken or spiced ground beef.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:15 pm

Definitely make your own from scratch. Why ingest all the preservatives and other crap contained in bottled dressings?

High quality extra virgin olive oil (buy in glass, not plastic) The recipe posted already is a good one except I like the taste of seasoned rice vinegar instead of wine vinegar. I also like to add garlic.

Just make sure you store it in air-tight container in fridge. Take it out 45 min. before serving.

It will keep for 4-5 days, so don't make a huge batch, just what you think you will use in that time.

John3754

Post by John3754 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:31 pm

Bottled dressing are full of sugar, soybean oil, water, and other junk that I'm not interested in. It's very easy to make your own vinaigrette so that's what I do, I usually make a pint at a time and it lasts me a few weeks. I use balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, Dijon mustard (a natural emulsifier that helps blend the oil and vinegar together and make a nice creamy dressing), salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried basil. Simply put it all in a jar and shake well.

John3754

Post by John3754 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:34 pm

drawpoker wrote:It will keep for 4-5 days, so don't make a huge batch, just what you think you will use in that time.
What do you find happens after 4-5 days? For decades I've been making mine in larger batches and storing it on the counter at room temp for weeks and have never had an issue. There's nothing in it that will go bad and the acidity of the vinegar is of course a natural preservative.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:38 pm

John3754 wrote:
drawpoker wrote:It will keep for 4-5 days, so don't make a huge batch, just what you think you will use in that time.
What do you find happens after 4-5 days? For decades I've been making mine in larger batches and storing it on the counter at room temp for weeks and have never had an issue. There's nothing in it that will go bad and the acidity of the vinegar is of course a natural preservative.
Am just going by what Martha Stewart advises.
Correction: Not 4 days, 14 (fourteen) days is what she says

Would you dare to contradict Martha :shock: :shock: :shock:

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:50 pm

> Would you dare to contradict Martha

Well certainly I won't get my stock picks from her.

On olive oil- I have been happy with 365 brand from Whole Foods and also a better store brand from a local grocery. Definitely taste a few. There will be better but much more expensive.

Balsamic is difficult because the really good stuff is absurdly expensive and hard to find.

For a really nice dressing- try walnut oil and lemon juice.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:31 pm

+ one on a good walnut oil, I use Trader Joes, white balsamic vinegar, sprinkle on top right out of the bottle add some italian spices salt and pepper to taste.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:50 pm

For olive oil, my favorite relatively expensive bottle is Columela (Spanish). About $20 / 17 oz. For a cheaper alternative, I find Colavita Extra Virgin ($11 / 1 liter) to be nearly as good, but not quite as flavorful. Note that with Colavita, there are a few different grades in very similar containers at similar prices so it's a little confusing.

The best balsamic I've found at a palatable price is Trader Joe's IGP (red/gold label) at about $3 / 250mL. They've also got a new one that I tried recently (premium or platinum or something?) that's about twice that cost but it's much thicker, so it might be nicer for use on salad.

amoeba

Post by amoeba » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:56 pm

Making yours on the spot is so much better and its really not that time consuming, 5 minutes if that.

For olive oil, I use California Ranch. Its not super expensive and the dark bottling as well as closer locality results in a fresher oil.

For the acid portion, I always keep a bottle of balsamic vinegar around and always a jar of dijon mustard. The mustard acts as an emulsifier if you want a thicker dressing but you can leave it out for vineagrettes. a little salt and pepper, maybe some garlic or shallots and you'll have a better tasting dressing than anything bottled. You can also mix up your acids for different types of salads, red wine vinegar, sherry vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice, the possibilities are endless.

batpot

Post by batpot » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:15 pm

I've got nothing to contribute, but posting here will make this thread easier to find in the future.
:sharebeer

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:18 pm

I simply use a little sprinkle of olive oil and some spices for taste.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:06 pm

I've started to make my own also. It tastes so much better than the store bought pre-made stuff.

You can do a search for vinagrette recipes and see that it is the basics plus what added spices you want to add in. I like to add a couple of garlic cloves. After a few days on counter, it just gets better and better.

Since good balsamic is $$, I use red wine vinegar in my dressing. Then once the salad is ready to serve, I'll add a little balsamic right on top.

My everyday go to olive oil is the Kirkland brand from Costco. Wonderful flavor and reasonably priced.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:12 pm

John3754 wrote:
I think if you are talking just oil and vinegar, there is probably no issue.

But if you start putting stuff like garlic in there, you might also be introducing Clostridium botulinum, a bacterium which has spores that can be present in soil. C. botulinum doesn't like oxygen and it does like acid so oil and vinegar is not a bad medium for it to grow in. I'd keep this in the refer myself.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:13 pm

Oil-and-Vinegar is cheap, simple and healthy. All other options are combinations of extra cost, extra effort and unhealthy additives. The choice is similar to index funds vs. boutique investments: the former are optimal, the latter are alluringly packaged.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

c078342

Post by c078342 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:03 pm

DOn't buy - make it from scratch. Here's a link regarding some food science behind vinaigrettes, which contains links for some great simple dressings. You can read of the authors credentials. He indicates indefinite life and I've had dressings in the fridge for weeks. I use a squeeze bottle for storage, which works if you haven't included solids like garlic.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/sala ... d-lab.html

js2012

Post by js2012 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:56 pm

+1 Newman's Own

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:38 pm

+1 California Ranch evoo

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:47 pm

1. Go to Costco and get their Kirkland Signature Modena Balsamic Vinegar and a bottle of their better olive oil.
2. Pick up decorative oil and vinegar bottles and your local kitchen supply store
3. Get a good pepper grinder and sea salt
4. Begin dressing your salads with oil, vinegar, salt, and fresh ground pepper.
5. Never go back to pre-made salad dressing.

Seriously the Costco balsamic vinegar is that good. My brother-in-law is a food snob who lives in Santiago, Chile and visits Paris at least monthly on business as he is an investment banker for a French bank. What does he do when he visits us in Texas? He loads up about a gallon-worth of bottles of Costco balsamic vinegar to bring back down to Chile because he can't find anything he likes better, even in Paris.

island

Post by island » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:50 pm

2nd the balsamic vinegar at Costco. Great on strawberries too; a little drizzle really brings out the sweetness.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:06 pm

Another vote for California Olive Ranch which they carry at my primary grocery store. I use whatever balsamic I pick off the shelf.

Here's a suggestion for making the dressing. I buy 2 oz jello shot cups with lids in bulk. I put in olive oil and balsamic in a 3:1 ratio to make a single serving. Put the cover on the cup and shake for a few seconds. You could add some salt/pepper to taste if you want. Adjust ratio and seasoning to taste.

John3754

Post by John3754 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:38 pm

js2012 wrote:+1 Newman's Own
Just for fun I looked up the ingredients:

Ingredients: Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil and/or Soybean Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil), Water, Balsamic Vinegar, Distilled Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Garlic, Spice, Onion, Red Bell Pepper, Xanthan Gum, Paprika (For Color)

Serv. Size 2 Tbsp: Sodium 290mg

This is why personally I don't like bottled dressings... the tasty olive oil is diluted with cheaper and not as tasty canola/soybean oil, the tasty balsamic vinegar is diluted with cheaper and not as tasty water and distilled vinegar (this "balsamic vinaigrette" contains more water than balsamic vinegar!), and they contain a lot more salt than I'd use and often a lot of sugar too. Its more expensive, lower quality, and less healthy.
Last edited by John3754 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:42 pm

I didn't put it in my original post, but I also like anchovy paste in mine. It comes in a tube. When I use it I usually squeeze out 1 to 2 inches of paste and whisk it in along with the other ingredients. The idea may sound unappealing, but tastes great.
gatorman

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:46 pm

John3754 wrote:
js2012 wrote:+1 Newman's Own
Just for fun I looked up the ingredients:

Ingredients: Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil and/or Soybean Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil), Water, Balsamic Vinegar, Distilled Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Garlic, Spice, Onion, Red Bell Pepper, Xanthan Gum, Paprika (For Color)

Serv. Size 2 Tbsp: Sodium 290mg

This is why personally I don't like bottled dressings... the tasty olive oil is diluted with cheaper and not as tasty canola/soybean oil, the tasty balsamic vinegar is diluted with cheaper and not as tasty water and distilled vinegar (I mean seriously, this "balsamic vinaigrette" contains more water than balsamic vinegar!), and they contain a lot more salt than I'd use and often a lot of sugar too. Its more expensive, lower quality, and less healthy.
I'd agree with everything you said, and would add that there is way too much sugar, not to mention HFCS, in nearly all prepared foods. It is much better to make it from scratch and have complete control over the ingredients.
gatorman

John3754

Post by John3754 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:49 pm

Kens Steak House Balsamic Vinaigrette

Ingredients
Canola Oil, Water, Balsamic Vinegar, Distilled Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Garlic, Contains Less than 2% of: Onion, Spice, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as Preservatives, Paprika (Color).

Here's the Kens Steak House that some posters recommended...it has zero olive oil, more water than balsamic vinegar, cheap distilled vinegar, lots of salt and sugar, and preservatives to top it off.

Norris

Post by Norris » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:13 pm

Neuman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar. No sugar or artificial ingredients, preservatives, flavors or colors and doesn't require refrigeration. And all profits go to charity.

Norris
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:15 pm

While you're at it, consider making your own croutons, they will taste a lot better than the ones you buy at the store.
gatorman

DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:38 pm

Many Olive oils in the supermarket are not actually real olive oil as they're made up of vegetable oil. Here is a link to a study that was done:

http://lifehacker.com/the-most-and-leas ... 1460894373

As for healthy oils I'd say olive oil, coconut oil and avacado oil are some of the healthiest.
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:03 am

I'm surprised by all the recommendations to make your own, which sounds complicated to me (I note that most of the recipes posted in this thread contain several ingredients I don't currently have on hand). I often don't feel that I have time in the evenings to pull vegetables out of my refrigerator, rinse them, dry them, cut them, and toss them into a bowl. How do you find the time to make a dressing on top of all that?

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:25 am

FedGuy wrote:I'm surprised by all the recommendations to make your own, which sounds complicated to me (I note that most of the recipes posted in this thread contain several ingredients I don't currently have on hand). I often don't feel that I have time in the evenings to pull vegetables out of my refrigerator, rinse them, dry them, cut them, and toss them into a bowl. How do you find the time to make a dressing on top of all that?
1- Best to wash and dry your leafy vegetables when you get them home, removes the moisture and grit that often accompany them, especially in season.
2- Get your salad made and pour some olive oil (the best you can handle) and toss. Then a good sprinkle of kosher salt, to taste, toss again. Finally, the balsamic vinegar (or wine vinegar if you prefer), about 1/3 as much as the oil. Toss, enjoy. Takes me about 60 seconds to dress AND toss. :happy
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:58 am

I wouldn't by premixed vinaigrettes for the reasons mentioned by above posters - they put in all kinds of low quality filler.

I'm a big believer in salads with high quality balsamic and olive oil. For balsamic the nice (smaller) Trader Joe's bottle is OK, the Kirkland brand is a little better, but I've been buying vinegar and oil from my local farmer's market. The brand is Calolea and they are great! The vinegar is just plain excellent, and far better then what you'll get at any grocery store (which I find very sour and acidic). It's pricier - $20 for 500 ml - but to me it is well worth the cost. You can also get it online I'm told.

I'm less opinionated about the oil. I buy Calolea oil out of habit, but I don't have a strong feeling and would probably fail a blind taste test (not so with the vinegar).

With good balsamic and oil you'll never go back to store bought dressing. I keep a bottle of each at work.

Yum!

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:14 am

FedGuy wrote:I'm surprised by all the recommendations to make your own, which sounds complicated to me (I note that most of the recipes posted in this thread contain several ingredients I don't currently have on hand). I often don't feel that I have time in the evenings to pull vegetables out of my refrigerator, rinse them, dry them, cut them, and toss them into a bowl. How do you find the time to make a dressing on top of all that?
You could buy the missing ingredients on your next trip to the store. Once you've got them on hand, and have made the recipe a couple of times, it will probably take you less than 2 minutes to make your dressing. As one of the other posters pointed out, it will keep in the fridge for several days. So, make enough on one of your days off to last a week and you'll be good to go, with a total time investment of 2 minutes per week. I would refrigerate it, as it has no preservatives. You might want to use a jar with a tight fitting lid to do that, since the homemade stuff is amazingly aromatic as compared to store bought. As far as taste is concerned, there is really no comparison. I can't stand (with the sole exception of ranch dressing) the taste of any bottled dressing, but I love the taste of the stuff I make myself.

gatorman

John3754

Post by John3754 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:38 am

It's not complicated, and you don't need to make it every time. At it's simplest, it's oil, vinegar, salt and pepper (though I do like the addition of Dijon mustard for emulsification/creaminess). It literally takes a minute or two to make and I make a pint at a time which lasts me a few weeks. As far as making the salad is concerned, yes that can be a bit more of a pain but I like salad so I endure it. I'd recommend investing in a salad spinner if you don't already have one.
Last edited by John3754 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

mgullo

Post by mgullo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:39 am

gatorman wrote:Make your own, its cheaper, tastes better, and you'll know exactly what's in it.
I agree. Mixing various vinegars, oils and herbs allow for a tremendous combination of flavors.
I wash and chop a lot of vegetables at once (on a Sunday for example) and store them separately in the refrigerator. Takes a little time on the front end, but then I just put them together when I want a salad and having them prepared saves so much time when I am making a meal. Preparing the homemade dressing only takes a few minutes extra. I might add a lean protein and a healthy dinner doesn't take long at all.
Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something. | -Thoreau

Topic Author
VesperLynd

Post by VesperLynd » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:53 am

To save energy when I am tired after working all day and to avoid waste (veggies gone bad), I've started making more composed salads rather than tossed salads.

This means fewer leafy greens (make up for it on the weekends) that go "bad" quickly. I also chop and store vegetables (carrots, celery, peppers, etc.) arrange them on a plate, put some legumes or tuna or lunch meat over the top and then sprinkle with oil and vinegar....salt and pepper.

Appreciate the brand suggestions on the oil and vinegar. thanks!

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:14 am

mgullo wrote:I agree. Mixing various vinegars, oils and herbs allow for a tremendous combination of flavors.
I fully agree, make your own is quick, less expensive and tastes better than store bought pre-mixed. Plus I enjoy experimenting with various ingredients.

TnGuy

Post by TnGuy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:17 am

The more expensive olive oil that we use for salads, dressings, toppings, etc. comes from Bariani Olive Oil Company in California. They grow and process everything locally. They offer two varieties of extra-virgin olive oils: their regular harvest and their early harvest. Both are delicious but my preference is for the early harvest.

We also enjoy their wonderful balsamic vinegar.

You can search their store locator feature to see if it is carried near you. Or, they do ship.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:24 am

So at the risk of sounding like a snob- for salads there is no comparison between aged balsamic and regular cheap balsamic. For cooking cheap the stuff is ok, for salads the balsamic that has been aged for 20 years is waaaay superior. To us it's worth the extra coin. For olive oil, I second the previous suggestions of products from California. I think it has a superior taste than anything I've had from Italy.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:44 am

+1 for make your own - cheaper and far better. Balsamic Vinegar, Oil, Salt, Pepper, etc. Sometimes a bit of Mustard. We have a variety for infused oils and vinegars for a variety of tastes - and a variety of sweet Mustard's.

amoeba

Post by amoeba » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:06 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:So at the risk of sounding like a snob- for salads there is no comparison between aged balsamic and regular cheap balsamic. For cooking cheap the stuff is ok, for salads the balsamic that has been aged for 20 years is waaaay superior. To us it's worth the extra coin. For olive oil, I second the previous suggestions of products from California. I think it has a superior taste than anything I've had from Italy.

Aged Balsamics are great but too sweet, syrupy, and expensive for salads. I have a bottle of 25 year balsamic but that only goes on fruit or ice cream.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:33 pm

amoeba wrote:
JonnyDVM wrote:So at the risk of sounding like a snob- for salads there is no comparison between aged balsamic and regular cheap balsamic. For cooking cheap the stuff is ok, for salads the balsamic that has been aged for 20 years is waaaay superior. To us it's worth the extra coin. For olive oil, I second the previous suggestions of products from California. I think it has a superior taste than anything I've had from Italy.

Aged Balsamics are great but too sweet, syrupy, and expensive for salads. I have a bottle of 25 year balsamic but that only goes on fruit or ice cream.
Agree that some are a little too sweet but I still enjoy them on salad from time to time. It is like liquid gold in a bottle though.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:35 pm

amoeba wrote: I have a bottle of 25 year balsamic but that only goes on fruit or ice cream.
:shock: Wouldn't have predicted that. Guess I need to get out more.

SamB

Post by SamB » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:34 am

I would stick with olive oil, and make my own dressing if desired. For me, where I buy the olive oil is a concern. Olive oil has a number of fatty acid components, but oleic acid is the primary monounsaturate. Therefore, although it does not rabidly go rancid it should come in a dark bottle minimizing oxidation due to light exposure. The big concern that you should have when buying olive oil is whether or not it has been cut with linoleic acid to reduce cost, say corn oil, canola oil, safflower oil etc. If it has, then you will be increasing the instability of the oil, and increasing your linoleic (omega-6) intake, which you are probably trying to avoid.

I generally do not buy foreign sourced olive oil because I worry about the content of the oil. I generally go with a California sourced oil, but if it is being shipped in a clear plastic or glass bottle then that raises questions about how it is being produced, and stored.

What amazes me is how people think nothing of popping fish oil capsules to supposedly address some health concern. Any polyunsaturated acid, essential or otherwise is easily degraded by oxidation. Even if you add anti-oxidants it may be after the fact. You have no idea whether those capsules contained rancid oil, and if they did, basically you have just created a disposal problem for your body; there is no health benefit.

When it comes to oils, my requirement is that I have to taste it, no matter what the oil, and then at least I have a rough idea of how much it has been degraded.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:15 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:+1 for make your own - cheaper and far better.
Been making our O&V for years. Makes a nice marinade for chicken, too.

2 T Dijon
3/4 cup salad oil
1/4 cup wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:39 pm

Veg oil - what ever is handy and in abundant at home.
Cider vinegar from cider gone to hard then to vinegar. (I got 3 gals of concord grape wine that needs to convert to vinegar)
Mrs. Dash
Minced garlic
Thick-It
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

ZumZabo

Post by ZumZabo » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:44 pm

Not much to contribute that hasn't been said concerning recipes but want to +1 for Trader Joe's white balsamic. It has been my "go to" for several years. Also, when I add garlic, I mash it with the side of a knife with a pinch of kosher salt on a cutting board into a paste. It really releases the flavor and mellows it out. I also add seasonal herbs when they're available. Thyme, basil, sage, rosemary etc. Dried is ok when fresh is not available. Making your own is the only way to go.
What made me think I could start clean slated? The hardest to learn was the least complicated: Emily Saliers / And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know: Kerry Livgren

rotorhead

Post by rotorhead » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:31 pm

Post by batpot » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:15 pm

I've got nothing to contribute, but posting here will make this thread easier to find in the future.
+1. What a great thread - definitely a keeper!