How does one increase their typing speed and accuracy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mr_scaramanga

How does one increase their typing speed and accuracy?

Post by mr_scaramanga » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:33 pm

I'm in my 30's and have worked with computers practically my whole life and I'm almost embarrassed to say I am a very mediocre typist. My typing style is kind of a hybrid of touch-typing and hunt and peck. Some words I can type without looking at the keyboard, but from time to time, I need to look down and reset my fingers on the keys.

I've been a software engineer for many years. I've earned two Master's degrees where I've had to write long thesis papers and yet I really haven't improved much. My worry is that it's affecting my productivity.

Some of my colleagues just explode on keyboards. My typing technique can't compare to them and it's somewhat obvious.

So, I'm interested in opinions of people who are good typists - especially people who've improved later in life. Were there any techniques or teaching products that were particularly helpful? I've tried Mavis Beacon in the past, but just lost interest when I stopped improving. I'm somewhat worried that I just have poor coordination and may never really improve.

For some reason, both my grade school and high school never offered a keyboarding class. Both schools weren't really tech savvy and didn't offer any kind of computer class/education. Some of the good typists I know had computer classes where they learned keyboarding in grade school.

Thank for any suggestions.

anil686

Re: How does one increase their typing speed and accuracy?

Post by anil686 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:37 pm

I don't know for sure. I had a typing class in the 8th grade with a retired secretary that hit our hands with a ruler when she walked around the class room if she caught you looking at the keyboard. When I say hit - it really stung and I had little red marks on my fingers - I still cringe when I think about that class. By the end of the semester, I was typing about 70 words per minute with minimal mistakes...

I guess have a spouse or other friend help you by reminding you not to look down. There was a typing program as well - typing tutor I think it was - we used that at school in the late 1980s - maybe that would help too - hope this helps...

Sportswhiz00

Post by Sportswhiz00 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:40 pm

I type about 100wpm due to my high school keyboarding class. Whatever software we used worked well to train my fingers to know where the keys are without looking. I would recommend finding highly rated software or taking a community college class if you need more of a push.

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:42 pm

When I was in 5th grade I had this super fun game called "Jump Start Typing". You did things like rock climbing, soccer, etc, using typing. As you got better at certain letters, it would progressively add more, or add tricky combinations. I played it relentlessly for about a month, and ever since I've been able to consistently type 60+ WPM. I even once got paid $1/hour than everyone else at a temp data entry job. That let me buy a lot of extra beers the next semester back at college!!

I have no idea if this software still exists, but my point is that you have to find something that is both well designed & fun so that you want to push yourself to do better and better.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:43 pm

I started out with hunt and peck in the early nineties then purchased a CD typing tutor that with practice I was @50wpm.
Now use the free online typing tutors that are available to stay brushed up. :happy

http://www.sense-lang.org/typing/tutor/keyboarding.php

http://www.typing.com/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:44 pm

You build a little cover out of wood to cover the keyboard but let your hands underneath (small piece on each side, one long one across the top), this way you cannot look down and see the keys while you are typing. Over time you will remember which keys are where as long as you don't cheat and look. With practice/struggle you'll eventually begin to type fast when it "clicks". My high school had these built in our computer class and we would get yelled at if we ever tried to peek. Now everyone asks how I learned to type so fast.

The answer really is to just practice, but for it to be worthwhile practice you need to be looking at the screen not the keyboard (that's why you use the board setup)
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:46 pm

We had to learn with a folder over our fingers, man that was annoying. We used a program called typing tutor that started out having you type nonsense words with the home row and eventually adding all the key's as you get better. It tracks your progress too.

Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:53 pm

I played video games growing up on the computer that required me to use the keyboard.

Since I didn't want to take my eyes off the screen, I learned where the letters were. :D

I think if you can figure out an engaging way to make you watch the screen instead of the keyboard you will learn.

In high school (late 80's/early 90's) we learned on electric typewriters and I think I was typing around 60-70 wpm. I don't really remember for sure. I remember the class was really easy because I had already been typing for years. I just had to learn how to add and remove my personal little correction tape roll that I have never had to do since. :P

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:54 pm

Think the answer for the OP is the same answer to the question "how do you get to Carnegie hall?'

Practice, practice, practice !

2 semesters of h.s. typing class and I was well on my way to 75-80 wpm in no time. :D

Typing college papers, plus earning extra $ typing for the males who could not type, then on to work in a career requiring typing for at least an 2 hours or more every day (newspaper reporter) I retained the skill.

Advice for the OP - do the same thing classrooms teaching typing used to do - Get a big banner with the entire keyboard shown in large letters, hang it on the wall where your computer desk faces (or where you work with a laptop) and force yourself to learn touch typing by concentrating on the illustration. Place the page of text you are copying on a propped -up board to minimize the head movements as you type. Just resist the urge to look down at the keys, look straight ahead to your Wall Guide . Don't look down !

If you are disciplined enough to do this every day, you should be able to increase your speed and accuracy over time.
Last edited by drawpoker on Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinebarrens1

Post by pinebarrens1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:56 pm

practice....

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:02 pm

This is very important. Or, I think it is very important. Or, they told us it was very important when I learned typing... typing on a typewriter with typebars... in the 1960s.

Whatever you do, while learning, maintain an absolutely strict steady rhythm on the keys. Do not speed up for t-h-e, do not slow down for C-s-i-k-s-z-e-n-t-m-i-h-a-l-y. Type however slowly you need to type to maintain a completely steady rhythm. Gradually increase it as you improve but never type faster than the speed at which you can maintain a steady rhythm.

Our typing teacher had a big set of recordings (78 rpm shellac records, of course) of a band playing "American Patrol" at a perfectly steady rate... with labels that said 30 wpm, 35 wpm, 40 wpm etc.

I don't know if they still teach that today, but it was an article of faith in the 1960s, and it was an article of faith in the 1930s when my mom learned how to type... and those were the days when they had national typing speed contests with big money prizes.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

SR II

Post by SR II » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:06 pm

I took typing in junior high, about a million years ago, on a manual typewriter. Peeked at the keys the whole time and never got very fast. Then repeated the class in high school, determined not to peek. By the end of the class I typed over twice as fast and even had less errors. This still holds true with computer keyboards. You will only get so fast if you peek. Do yourself a favor and take an online typing class and start from the beginning, doing it by touch.

gbru316

Post by gbru316 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Type more.

I've been using computers on a daily basis since I was in 2nd grade (I'm 29 now). I've naturally adopted my own style, contrary to the convential typing mechanics, and can hit 100 words per minute with greater than 90% accuracy without looking at the keys.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:15 pm

There was a thread in November about this typing thing: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=151158

Seriously, practice, practice, practice. The online sites mentioned are great for the serious student who really wants to increase their typing speed and accuracy.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:18 pm

mr_scaramanga wrote:I'm in my 30's and have worked with computers practically my whole life and I'm almost embarrassed to say I am a very mediocre typist. My typing style is kind of a hybrid of touch-typing and hunt and peck. Some words I can type without looking at the keyboard, but from time to time, I need to look down and reset my fingers on the keys.

I've been a software engineer for many years. I've earned two Master's degrees where I've had to write long thesis papers and yet I really haven't improved much. My worry is that it's affecting my productivity.

Some of my colleagues just explode on keyboards. My typing technique can't compare to them and it's somewhat obvious.

So, I'm interested in opinions of people who are good typists - especially people who've improved later in life. Were there any techniques or teaching products that were particularly helpful? I've tried Mavis Beacon in the past, but just lost interest when I stopped improving. I'm somewhat worried that I just have poor coordination and may never really improve.

For some reason, both my grade school and high school never offered a keyboarding class. Both schools weren't really tech savvy and didn't offer any kind of computer class/education. Some of the good typists I know had computer classes where they learned keyboarding in grade school.

Thank for any suggestions.
I learned typing by practice. Never had taken formal typing lessons (if you ignore the one hour at the typewriter for four weeks one summer while in high school). I have not times my typing speed but I believe I type pretty fast and accurate.

How I got there? Well, I was in my mid 20s doing my graduate studies. Internet was just coming up to speed. I spent a lot of time e-mailing friends, participating in forums (then called USENET groups) on topics ranging from music to travel (and several others that I don't have time for now - music and travel still work for me). All this e-mailing and responding to posts - that is all it took for me. Now, I don't know how much of a jump it is from mid 20s (my situation) to 30s (your case) but I am sure your "muscle memory" can still be trained. You just need to type ... a LOT! Only working in software programming won't do it - you think more than you type (unless you are verbose with your testing instructions, documentation, and frequently chat/email with co-workers online).

My suggestion - find a forum you can really contribute on. Maybe it is Bogleheads, maybe it is RickSteves, maybe it is ClarkHoward. All of them have a wide range of topics one can chime in on. Daily when you are home, spend an hour or two typing away your responses - obviously if you select a topic you enjoy (who does not love to travel?), you will have lots of fun doing so as well.

[Edited to add]: Note that I am not a classic typist, in the sense that I use the 'wrong' finger for a couple of keys in the center of the keyboard. I'm not complaining, it works for me! :-)

6miths

Post by 6miths » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:30 pm

I did the same school typing course in the 70s and maybe can do 60 wpm error free. I am always amazed by how few kids seem to be true 'touch' typists. I recently bought a couple of Dvorak overlays off Amazon - inspired by an earlier thread here or on the early retirement forum. I was impressed on how quickly one can get used to them and how much easier typing is. You might give them a try if you are not committed to the QWERTY board.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

Buffalo Chuck

Post by Buffalo Chuck » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:32 pm

Practice, practice, practice.

NOTHING works as well as practice. Your refusal to practice is 100% the reason for inefficient typing. Your decision TO practice solves that problem.

YOUR CHOICE ENTIRELY!!

But you know that.

Your REAL question is "What to practice?"

I've been typing manuscripts and documents since my late teens (think "Radar O'Reilly") and I turned that into coding - BASIC, Fortran, COBOL and into all the C's and Visuals, on and on.

My recommendation is the same: "type out your memoirs. Type out your memories of every school grade and every school chum. Type out favorite meals at home. Type out favorite vacation memories."

My next recommendation is, "AND DO NOT EDIT A THING. Just type. You type 50 pages, and you're 50 times better on Page 51 than on Page 1."

I vote with the "Practice, practice, practice" crew.

coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:43 pm

I agree with the all caps practices, but more importantly:

DON'T LOOK AT THE KEYBOARD, EVER.

You will learn to just feel for the bumps on the "F" and "J" keys with your index fingers and start typing. Not a perfect comparison, but once comfortable typing well is similar to walking down the stairs without looking, or knowing where your car is in space when you drive it, and where the pedals and gearshift are.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:49 pm

mr_scaramanga wrote:Some words I can type without looking at the keyboard, but from time to time, I need to look down and reset my fingers on the keys.
I've never understood why one is supposed to not look at the keyboard. I look at the keyboard all the time and type like the wind. Then I proofread. But if I mistype, I generally know it before I look at the display.

Perhaps touch typing goes back to when it was hard to fix mistakes, (White Out, I'm talking to you), so you wanted to know about them right away, or you needed to know when you were reaching an end of line.
Last edited by dolphinsaremammals on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:52 pm

coalcracker wrote:.....u will learn to just feel for the bumps on the "F" and "J" keys with your index fingers and start typing.
?

Not getting that. The keys on my keyboard (Microsoft) are completely smooth, all identical. Don't recall ever seeing (or feeling :shock: ) certain keys like F or J with bumps or ridges. Or have I worn them down from heavy use? :?

Are you referring to some sort of "beginner's keyboard" that is now commonly available?
Last edited by drawpoker on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:53 pm

The thing that did it for me was AOL instant messenger back in the 90's. After a year of routinely carrying on 5 conversations simultaneously in real time, my typing speed improved considerably. I don't know a modern day equivalent that would give a person the same amount of practice since most people type on a touchscreen to communicate now.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:53 pm

drawpoker wrote:
coalcracker wrote:.....u will learn to just feel for the bumps on the "F" and "J" keys with your index fingers and start typing.
?

Not getting that. The keys on my keyboard (Microsoft) are completely smooth, all identical. Don't recall ever seeing (or feeling :shock: ) certain keys like F or J with bumps or ridges.

Are you referring to some sort of "beginner's keyboard" that is now commonly available?

My Macbook, and every computer I use at work, has little rectangular ridges on F and J so a person can type completely by feel.

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:54 pm

Has anyone switched to a Dvorak keyboard after mastering the QWERTY keyboard?

I was considering getting one. I am stuck at 80wpm in qwerty. I can go faster but my accuracy drops below 100% at that point. I've heard that people can do 120-150wpm with 99%+ accuracy on Dvorak keyboards. But qwerty is so engraved in my head it seems like it would take a ton of effort to switch.

To the OP: you have to start with a program or instructor. And start from scratch. Eliminate every bad/incorrect habit you have. I took my class in high school and finished the class doing 40-50wpm. It went up throughout high school with practice and I was doing 80wpm by college. Never let yourself get into bad habits. One bad habit that still slows me down is oftentimes relying only on my right pinkie to use shift key. The correct method is to use right pinkie for shift to capitalize characters that you type with left hand and use left pinkie for shift to capitalize characters that you type with the right hand. Little things like this can make a big difference once you are typing at really high wpm.
Last edited by sharpjm on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:55 pm

climber2020 wrote:
drawpoker wrote:
?

Not getting that. The keys on my keyboard (Microsoft) are completely smooth, all identical. Don't recall ever seeing (or feeling :shock: ) certain keys like F or J with bumps or ridges.

My Macbook, and every computer I use at work, has little rectangular ridges on F and J so a person can type completely by feel.
Itty bitty dots in the F and J keys on my Thinkpad keyboard. Never noticed them before.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:02 pm

Yes, there should be little ridges on the "F" and "J" keys. There should also be one on the 5 of a 10 key set-up on the side. So you can, if you have a long string of numbers, pop your right hand over to that and bring it back to the letters by using the ridges.

In addition to not looking at the keyboard, you should also not look at the screen. Close your eyes if you have to. Just go back and proofread when you are done. It is like when you are driving - how people tend to drive towards whatever it is they are looking at. If you are looking at what you've just typed, you will find it harder to continue typing accurately.

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:59 pm

Whatever happened to Mavis Beacon?

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:03 am

My personal method for learning touch typing was playing a lot text-based action/adventure games. There's nothing like needing to keep your eyes on the screen to keep your character alive while fighting a pit of monsters to really hone the touch typing skills. The game score and progressing in game levels was my motivation. Chat sessions where I would type while closing my eyes was another way I kept the skills honed (I just typed this sentence with my eyes closed for example).

Now the biggest bane to my touch typing skills are the different keyboard sizes and layouts I come across on a daily basis. At work, I can switch between a standard PC keyboard, the Surface Pro 3 Type Cover, a 93% sized wireless keyboard, the keyboards integrated into the consoles on the server racks, and a Sun keyboard. So my touch typing at work is always slower than my touch typing at home, since I am continuously having to adapt to different layouts and distances between keys.

So make sure to stick to one keyboard size/layout when first learning to touch type, or you'll never pick up the "muscle memory". Once you're proficient on one keyboard, then you can branch into other keyboards.

alinna

Post by alinna » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:54 am

My aunt gave me the game Typing Tutor for DOS back in the day (along with Tetris) and it was pretty much the only game on that computer for a long time. Later on, spent plenty of time chatting online on IRC channels, AIM, etc., plus reinforcement from school/work and it's a skill that gets practiced pretty much daily. Practice, practice, practice, and definitely recommend programs/lesson to break any bad habits.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:06 am

I used to type 125 wpm in AZERTY, and about 100 wpm in QWERTY . I'm much slower now, though I haven't checked my speed recently. I don't really see the need to type that fast. Usually my brain is the limiting factor for what I'm going to be typing next, not my fingers.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:04 am

sls239 wrote:Yes, there should be little ridges on the "F" and "J" keys. There should also be one on the 5 of a 10 key set-up on the side.[...]
Wow! Nearly three decades of constant use of the keyboard and I never noticed those! :oops:

JLJL

Post by JLJL » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:34 am

an_asker wrote:
sls239 wrote:Yes, there should be little ridges on the "F" and "J" keys. There should also be one on the 5 of a 10 key set-up on the side.[...]
Wow! Nearly three decades of constant use of the keyboard and I never noticed those! :oops:
Haha. I notice them every time I put fingers to keys and I never look down (Except when typing those $&@!? symbols).

Still 100% certain my 1 semester of typing class senior year was my most useful class. I couldn't believe the transformation in just a few months, three days a week for an hour, often goofing off. Calc was useful too, not for real life but for college prep. Anyway OP use the "home" keys for finger placement, index fingers on the J and F, the rest fall in line, start with the alphabet (no peeking - teacher used to hold a piece of paper above our hands), and then just type stuff from a page in rote fashion. Not just emails but transpose text from paper to computer.

Btw this was typed index finger style on an iPad.10 minutes of torture.

CABob

Post by CABob » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:09 pm

(no peeking - teacher used to hold a piece of paper above our hands),
I find the discussions about shielding the keyboard from sight interesting. When I took typing in high school the keys on the typewriters were blank. (Does that mean I am showing my age?) Does anyone make a computer keyboard with blank keys? I guess that isn't practical since the computer keyboard has a lot of keys that would not be on a typewriter.
Bob

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:14 pm

Anothe enjoyable "free" site,,,typeracer :happy
http://play.typeracer.com/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:18 pm

#1 Good posture
#2 Good form
#3 Do not look at the keyboard, do not hunt and peck
#4 Lots and lots of practice. Speed comes from muscle memory, always remember practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

Get Mavis Beacon, get some typing books, use some free programs. At 34 I type 130 to 140 wpm on a traditional keyboard, I typed 80 wpm in 6th grade and have continued to practice since then. That said last I was ranked I was the top 0.2% of typists for speed, most people wont ever achieve my speed. All of us have an upper limit for what we can achieve so if you've practiced and your speed isn't increasing much then you may be near yours, don't expect more than about a 10% increase.
I find the discussions about shielding the keyboard from sight interesting
You should not be looking at the keyboard while typing, ever. Looking at the keyboard is poor form and will slow you down and increase error rate.
For some reason, both my grade school and high school never offered a keyboarding class. Both schools weren't really tech savvy and didn't offer any kind of computer class/education.
Check with your community college, they likely have a typing program. Mavis Beacon is also good because it provides instruction on form, which finger to reach with, etc.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:35 pm

I used to be mediocre at typing in high school until the teacher went around and put whiteout on all the keys so you couldn't see what was what. Once my mind learned that I did indeed know where the keys were and I could keep my eyes on the screen or back then, lesson I was typing, my speed went through the roof. I thought that was the single best thing to increase typing speed.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:37 pm

That's why I really like the keying books that you have to put on a stand, you aren't looking at either the monitor or the keyboard but the copy that you are typing from.

Additionally you shouldn't correct errors while you are still typing, instead go back and fix them once it is complete. Poor posture, looking at the keyboard, not practicing, and the backspace key are speed killers.

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Quickfoot wrote:That's why I really like the keying books that you have to put on a stand, you aren't looking at either the monitor or the keyboard but the copy that you are typing from.

Additionally you shouldn't correct errors while you are still typing, instead go back and fix them once it is complete. Poor posture, looking at the keyboard, not practicing, and the backspace key are speed killers.
+1

Sit facing the keyboard. Both feet flat on the floor. Sit up straight. I was amazed that this alone accounts for a HUGE increase in words per minute.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:32 pm

I found that the first five years of practicing law improved my typing substantially, but then the next ten years set it back. So, I can't suggest law school as the solution.

Confused

Post by Confused » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:41 pm

[Blanked for privacy]
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:48 pm

Your keyboard may be slowing you down. Some keyboards work better for different people. I love my ergonomic Microsoft keyboard, but some other people hate it. A laptop is usually hard to type fast on.

Also be sure that the keyboard is at the right height for you.

Ralph

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:16 pm

A mechanical keyboard will speed you up quite a bit. They cost a lot and are loud, but anyone who is serious about tying uses them.

beachplum

Post by beachplum » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:44 pm

I would tell you to enroll in Katharine Gibbs Entre program, but it no longer exists. practicing for long periods of time every day and the pressure to meet goals set by that program I was in (entree) did it for me. In a former life I actually taught typing skills to high school students and community college and know that it takes consistent continued practice (drills) and timings to test yourself (not looking at your fingers, posture etc is a good idea). I learned from typing books that had drills and timings (and a teacher). It may seem old fashioned, but it works if your dedicated.

wilpat

Post by wilpat » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:10 pm

I took typing for 2 semesters (4 quarters) in high school. I got "C's" in those classes. Every other class I took from 1st grade through EE I got "A's". I am now 75 years old and still don't type worth sour owl sh*t!
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:30 pm

CABob wrote:
(no peeking - teacher used to hold a piece of paper above our hands),
I find the discussions about shielding the keyboard from sight interesting. When I took typing in high school the keys on the typewriters were blank. (Does that mean I am showing my age?) Does anyone make a computer keyboard with blank keys? I guess that isn't practical since the computer keyboard has a lot of keys that would not be on a typewriter.
Keyboards with blank keys exist, and have a certain sort of following. The Happy Hacking keyboards first spring to mind (they do have some printed keyboards in their model lineup now), although they are quite pricey. Das Keyboard is another line with both blank and printed keyboards. Das Keyboard is not as expensive as the Happy Hacking keyboards, but they're still rather pricey. You can also get blank key replacements for some keyboards.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:09 pm

I sucked in eighth grade typing class (with four "Ds" to prove it), and I suck now.

But I soldier on.

JLJL

Post by JLJL » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:18 pm

Quickfoot wrote:That's why I really like the keying books that you have to put on a stand, you aren't looking at either the monitor or the keyboard but the copy that you are typing from.

Zactly

WL2034

Post by WL2034 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:37 pm

Like everyone else says, it's just practice. The good thing is at this point - since computers are part of everyday life - once you learn it, you will probably retain it easily. Get a typing program (you can probably just find something free online, but I don't know what's out there). Just cover your hands and accept that you are going to lose speed at first. If you are typing 25-30 wpm now with your hybrid hunt-peck (I think this should be called the "Dad" typing method because everyone's Dad types like this), you might drop to 15 wpm when you are first learning. That's ok. As you get better at it, you will quickly surpass your previous speed. The important thing is that you don't get frustrated during that period in which it is taking your more time and go back to your pecking style because it's a little bit faster. Persistence pays off.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:50 am

As a programmer and writer I find I don't need words per minute, I need effortlessness. I can only compose so fast and as long as I can type faster than that without thinking about moving my fingers it does not slow me down. Speed and effort are related but they are not the same, so you may want to think about what you want to improve. Most training programs are aimed at classic copy typing, but there is no market that now we have scanners and photocopiers.

Lollytiger

Post by Lollytiger » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:39 am

sharpjm wrote:Has anyone switched to a Dvorak keyboard after mastering the QWERTY keyboard?

I was considering getting one. I am stuck at 80wpm in qwerty. I can go faster but my accuracy drops below 100% at that point. I've heard that people can do 120-150wpm with 99%+ accuracy on Dvorak keyboards. But qwerty is so engraved in my head it seems like it would take a ton of effort to switch.
I don't think there's any need to switch to Dvorak. The top guy at typeracer.com uses Qwerty, and I get very good wpm with Qwerty as well.

mvnumh

Post by mvnumh » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:47 am

Lollytiger wrote:
sharpjm wrote:Has anyone switched to a Dvorak keyboard after mastering the QWERTY keyboard?

I don't think there's any need to switch to Dvorak. The top guy at typeracer.com uses Qwerty, and I get very good wpm with Qwerty as well.
I don't think there's much need to learn Dvorak, unless you're interested. If you plan to learn other keyboard layouts (for typing other languages), the third layout is much, much easier than the second. For learning, I used an offline program (TypingMaster, I only remember because of the logo) that had a ton of word games (whole words as well as single keys); I can't stand the latency of web apps/online typing programs. These days, I spend some time memorizing the keyboard layout, and things flow from there (slowly).

I started off typing at 120 WPM/Qwerty, learned Dvorak, and now only type at 120 WPM/Dvorak as well (same speed for Qwerty, still). So personally, switching layouts did not actually help me type any faster. If I had to summarize the TypingMaster program advice: focus on 100% accuracy (and touch type!), improvements to your typing speed will follow naturally.