Anyone have one of those standing desks?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tony5412

Anyone have one of those standing desks?

Post by tony5412 »

How did it work for you? Between work and the commute, I end up sitting 10 hours a day. I also sit when I'm at the computer at home so I have been thinking of ordering one of those adjustable monitor/keyboard stands from varidesk.

It is recommended that one also purchase a mat to stand on. Do these mats have to be removed when moving the chair back in place (to prevent damage) or can a chair sit on top of the mat without damaging it?
crg11

Re: Anyone have one of those standing desks?

Post by crg11 »

I love mine at work. It's a motorized one so at a press of a button it goes to my pre-programmed heights. I have lots of meetings, so I try to be at the standing desk whenever possible.

I want to get one for home, although for $$$ reasons it'll probably be a manual one.

As for the mat, I just push it under the desk when I'm sitting in a chair. I don't want to risk the foam stuff in the mat having problems.
WheelerDealer

Post by WheelerDealer »

I absolutely swear by mine. It actually does take some conditioning to get used to, but I feel a whole lot better and trimmed around 10lbs. The crazy thing is that sometimes after hectic days, I'm way too beat to go to the gym. I guess that's the give and take, but I definitely can speak in favor of it.
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

From what I've read, prolonged standing can be as harmful as prolonged sitting. I use a micro break minder( Workrave ) to get me out of the seat periodically. It's free and it does the job.
mbk734

Post by mbk734 »

I built my own with a table top and some heavy duty shelf brackets. Use a stud finder to place it about elbow height.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049FXEV ... SX200_QL40

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002TII0J ... ref=plSrch
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

Ninegrams wrote:From what I've read, prolonged standing can be as harmful as prolonged sitting. I use a micro break minder( Workrave ) to get me out of the seat periodically. It's free and it does the job.
Agreed. I sit at work all day and think standing would be a good change of pace when at home.

Ideally I think a treadmill desk would be best since you're moving instead of standing in one place but those are kinda pricey.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

crg11 wrote:I love mine at work. It's a motorized one so at a press of a button it goes to my pre-programmed heights. I have lots of meetings, so I try to be at the standing desk whenever possible.

I want to get one for home, although for $$$ reasons it'll probably be a manual one.

As for the mat, I just push it under the desk when I'm sitting in a chair. I don't want to risk the foam stuff in the mat having problems.
Ok they have two sizes, wasn't sure whether to get the small one or the larger one (which would be needed if the chair stays). Probably would be better to get the smaller one and move it when needed.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

mbk734 wrote:I built my own with a table top and some heavy duty shelf brackets. Use a stud finder to place it about elbow height.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049FXEV ... SX200_QL40

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002TII0J ... ref=plSrch
That is certainly less costly. Thanks for the idea.
Trev H

Post by Trev H »

I work from a home office and used to sit for the most of an 8 hour work day.

Developed prostate issues a couple of years ago and... well if you have ever tried sitting on a flaming golf ball... you would get about what it feels like.

Long term sitting too much is probably the main cause of male prostate pain issues... very common in truck drivers, guys who sit at a desk while working, etc..

I was 52 years old when it first started bothering me (after spending more than 25 years sitting most of the time at work).

I built my own stand up desk and have been using it for a couple of years now. It was one of the major players in helping me to deal with prostate pain... and making the condition something I could live with.

Lots of different types of prostate issues... mine is non bacterial, and not cancer related... just prostate pain.. and I suspect the main cause is simply sitting too much for too many years on the job.

I would advise any of you who sit all or most of the time at work - to consider making the change to a stand up desk.

PS - I have a gel pad that I stand on that helps with the long term standing. I have a chair in my office that I can go to occasionally for short periods of sitting but I do not sit at my desk any more and I limit the sitting time to something very short (5 minutes max). That works for me.

Trev H
Seekay

Post by Seekay »

I considered this for $22: http://iamnotaprogrammer.com/Ikea-Stand ... llars.html
(Sorry, some of the images seem broken but you can figure out what's needed from the 'recipe' section and the images that are at the end of the article.

But ended up getting this because I wanted to use two widescreen monitors: http://www.ergodesktop.com/content/kangaroo-elite
Pricey, but still cheaper than the entire desk. This one sits on top of my desk and works great (I can swivel each monitor independently etc.)
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Can you all recommend an affordable one?
black jack

Post by black jack »

I've been using a standing desk at work for about four years. I get muscle spasms sometimes when rising from a seated position, and wanted to avoid that.

I wanted to test the concept, so initially I just used some surplus shelves and cardboard boxes to raise my monitor and keyboard. That made for a very cheap standing desk, but also one that was not adjustable - and I did occasionally want to sit and work. Finally received an adjustable (pneumatic) desk. Love it. I stand probably 95% of the time. No floor pad, no problem. I do notice, walking down the stairs at the end of the day, that my quads feel a little fried, so I assume there is some muscle exertion going on, though hardly noticeable.

At home I sometimes put a board across the arms of my treadmill and stick the laptop on the board - instant treadmill desk.

Lots of DIY plans for a standing desk on the web.

Edited to add: in addition to not having a floor pad, I have my shoes off whenever I'm in my office, so I have almost no padding: sock feet on industrial carpet mat. No problem.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
DonCamillo

Post by DonCamillo »

We have a peninsula between the kitchen and the dining room, with a step down into the dining room. The dining room side is the perfect height for me for a stand up desk, and I often take a break there when I am working. Granite counter top gets a little cold in the winter, but it is a great change from sitting. Since I make coffee in the kitchen, I have an extra motivation to change from sitting all the time.
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Gordon
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

I bought this motorized sit-to-stand desk through a Kickstarter campaign last year. It's advertised as "the most affordable automatic standing desk".

http://standdesk.co/

It's sturdy, attractive and works well. I spend about half the day sitting and half the day standing. I find that while standing, I actually move around quite a bit. I haven't yet bought a foam pad to stand on. My room is carpeted, and I'm standing on the hard plastic mat that protects the carpet from the chair. That's working ok so far. The carpet provides a little cushion. I've read that some of the foam pads will support chairs, but I have a hard time believing they will last more than a year.
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

I used to use a homemade one for two years and it was wonderful - alertness throughout the day increased, reduced back pain, higher tendency to walk around and see how everyone was doing. I then transferred and used a normal (sit-down) desk for 12 months. It was bad. Back pain returned and felt a slow sense of sluggishness creeping on my body. Eventually convinced my new boss to order me a http://www.varidesk.com and it was great. Was initially teased by those around me ....until they found out they could order one too :wink:

Plenty of science and studies to back up the anecdotal claims.
rayout

Post by rayout »

I went with this: http://iamnotaprogrammer.com/Ikea-Stand ... llars.html

Same benefits as SwampDonkey noted. Love it.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I second the Varidesk recommendation. They are affordable, somewhat portable, and easy to use. Best of all, there is no need to buy a new desk (unless your desk is too small), as it sits on top of the existing desk.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Colorado13 wrote:I second the Varidesk recommendation. They are affordable, somewhat portable, and easy to use. Best of all, there is no need to buy a new desk (unless your desk is too small), as it sits on top of the existing desk.
So how does this one work? It just rests on the desk, and adjusts height from sitting to standing at what, the flick of a switch? Is it stable? How does cord management work when changing heights? When you have meetings at the desk (I do constantly, is it a problem?
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

The Varidesks are quite popular at my office, but I don't use one. Tried a co-workers for a few hours and just felt like I could not concentrate properly while standing and looking at a computer screen. I usually stand up while talking on the phone anyway, I figure that's enough.

I do notice that most of the women who use them change out of heels and put on running shoes or flats when they are standing at the desk.
pondering

Post by pondering »

I'm one of a handful of 150-200 cubes where the occupant stands. I used a couple of cardboard boxes, a magazine rack and a foot stool to prop up 2 monitors, a keyboard, a mouse and a phone. I have a little space for writing as well. The laptop is closed, connected to a docking station.
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter »

I made one at work about 5 years ago IIRC.

I stand probably 75% of the day. I prefer to stand while I am working on my computer. Actually I am standing right now as I type this. :D

I do sit down for meetings and when I am working on something that requires me to write.

I started doing it because of back pain. I don't have back pain anymore, now I have foot pain from standing. :P

I need some better shoes.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

rayout wrote:I went with this: http://iamnotaprogrammer.com/Ikea-Stand ... llars.html

I went ahead and bought the parts for this setup.

I eventually might go with Varidesk but this should be a good start to see if I like standing or not. The fact that is low cost is a plus. Thanks all for the suggestions.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

boroc7 wrote:
Colorado13 wrote:I second the Varidesk recommendation. They are affordable, somewhat portable, and easy to use. Best of all, there is no need to buy a new desk (unless your desk is too small), as it sits on top of the existing desk.
So how does this one work? It just rests on the desk, and adjusts height from sitting to standing at what, the flick of a switch? Is it stable? How does cord management work when changing heights? When you have meetings at the desk (I do constantly, is it a problem?
There isn't a switch, but you can lower/raise it to a variety of heights by releasing a button on two sides of the desk, then lifting it up and down. It is not heavy, however, but does take a little bit of muscle. (In other words, if you had a broken arm, you may not be able to easily raise and lower it but you don't need to be a body builder to use it.) It is very stable. I purchased longer monitor cables to accommodate the needed length when the desk is lifted; my previous cables were too short. It moves up/down easily, so I have not had problems when I have meetings at the desk.
Topic Author
tony5412

Post by tony5412 »

rayout wrote:I went with this: http://iamnotaprogrammer.com/Ikea-Stand ... llars.html

So I ordered the parts, built it, and it's working great! Everything is the perfect height. Even though I did read about this before, thanks to those of you who suggested this.

It does put some more pressure on the feet so I put on some gym shoes and am standing on an exercise mat...which feels better. I ordered one of those standing mats from varidesk so hopefully that helps.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

This thread reminded me that I had been intending to order a StandStand, a lightweight but sturdy portable standing desk designed by a Harvard junior faculty member. He launched a very successful kickstarter campaign last fall and it is now in production.

It seems like a great idea for someone like me, since I am highly mobile, I may be working at home, in my office, at a library, in a classroom, in the community center and hospital community room where I do VITA, in a coffee shop, etc. Weighs less than 2 pounds, takes seconds to assemble or disassemble. Esthetically pleasing and made with loving care by fairly compensated workers in Wisconsin (the inventor's hometown). $69 plus shipping for the attractive Baltic Birch model, $99 for the environmentally sustainable and even more attractive (in my opinion) bamboo model.

Fun promotional video and more info here:
https://www.standstand.com/about-standstand-team/
Last edited by dodecahedron on Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
vm27

Post by vm27 »

Compound

Post by Compound »

gkaplan wrote:I bought this last April:

http://www.ergodepot.com/Jarvis_Desk_p/jrv.htm
Reviving an old thread because I'm considering getting a powered adjustable desk for home and came across positive reviews of this model (http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-standing-desk/). gkaplan -- could you share your experience with the desk?
frugalfraggle

Post by frugalfraggle »

If you get a standing desk, consider taking it to the next level and get a treadmill to go under it. I walk 5-10 miles a day while I work on my computer.
joppy

Post by joppy »

Instead of a "powered adjustable desk" consider just a tall desk and a tall office chair. You can stand when you want to stand, and then sit in the tall chair when you don't want to stand. That is the setup I use at my office. May be cheaper and less hassle than adjusting your desk up and down.

Cheers,
Joppy
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

I'm another person who loves having the standing desk.

Here's what I bought (Uplift 900):
http://www.thehumansolution.com/height- ... 2-leg.html

I removed the top of my conventional desk, which is walnut, and mounted in on the UpLift base, which cost about $500 (worth every penny in my opinion). But you can use one of their tops, or even use a door.

As I write this, I'm standing. I do use a pad to stand on, but a piece of carpet would be fine, too.

Now, before I bought the adjustable base, I put my old desk up on four cinder blocks, total cost $6, and lived with it for over a year. That worked just fine, but when I wanted to sit down to work, I had to go into a different room. Now I just push de button, and the desk is at the perfect height for sitting.

I found that while it can some times be tiring to stand while I work, I do not experience the pain and strain (both back and calves) that I did when I sat working for extended periods.

I did a lot of research before I bought this unit. There are some great videos to watch, and when I called to ask questions, the staff was really helpful and courteous. Here's the video: http://thehumansolutionblog.com/2013/10 ... tand-desk/

(I have no financial interest in the company; I'm just a very satisfied customer.)
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
AnilG

Post by AnilG »

I ordered mine from Autonomous.ai for $299+shipping (~$350) but haven't received yet. It seems to have good reviews.

https://www.autonomous.ai/desk

Someone posted on their Facebook page that you can get similar one directly from China for $199.
csm

Post by csm »

I love my standing desks! I've had one at work for over 10 years, and then added one at home a few years ago. The one at home is from Ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29084966/

They have two sizes and come in both white and wood-grain, and are electric.

Highly recommended - I stand several hours a day at work.
bobmich

Post by bobmich »

I just turned my kid's electric keyboard's stand into the desk, and placed a board across it. It works just fine. It is not durable nor the most stable, but as long as I don't place coffee mugs it feels like it is sufficient. :D

It is something that looks like this. Height adjustable.

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-Rocker-Hami ... iano+stand
cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow »

I also have the Ergo Depot Jarvis desk. It's electric and has (4) memory heights and the push of a button. My wife and I have our preset sit/stand heights programmed.
We both work from home (me 100%, her 80%) so we decided this year to get a nicer home office setup that would be ergonomic and make working easier/more efficient. Still working on a few things, but here's the setup so far. Ignore the cardboard mouse pad.. it's temporary while our movers bring the last load of furniture :)

The desk is $575 without a top (so you can put whatever top you want on it), or $800 the way I purchased it (bamboo top with oval cutout, memory settings, wire management under desk, etc). There is a 7-year warranty on the motors. Assuming it lasts a long time I think it was a great purchase.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

I stand 80+% of the day at work. The desk is fixed (I don't have a chair) but was measured to fit me. You want the work surface to be one inch below your 90° bent elbow when standing on your pad. And I also strongly recommend a foam or gel pad for office environments to reduce the above mentioned metrics effects of extended standing.
Elyria

Post by Elyria »

When I changed jobs 2.5 years ago I went to a 90% sitting job from being on my feet a lot. I purchased the earliest version of the Vari-Desk. The newer versions have a separate tray so your keyboard can be on a lower level than your monitor. I alternate between standing and sitting, depending on what I'm working on. When collapsed to its lowest level, the keyboard and monitor are too high for me (I'm only 5'1") so after a lot of trial-and-error I came up with a solution that works well for me. I have a separate monitor and keyboard for each work station.

It's absolutely crucial to get a cushioned mat to stand on; otherwise your back and hamstrings will be killing you. Don't skimp on this cost--get a gel mat or something similar. The more cushion the better. The way my set up is the mat is not in the way, but if you use the same area for standing and sitting you'll need to remove the mat to move your chair in.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Hi,

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19022530/

I like my Ikea Belkant Sit/Stand Desk. There is newer cheaper hand crank version.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29084966/

I bought my standing mat from Costco.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

For my work cube, my standing desk was created by me bringing in a cordless drill and raising the height of my work surface. I bought high monitor stands, a taller chair, and a fatigue reducing standing mat on my own too. To get a standing desk at my workplace you need to submit proof of medical need and wait months for them to do an ergonomic study. I think that's baloney so I did it myself as I'm a fan of the "beg for forgiveness rather than wait for permission" mantra. Now tons of people are getting the hydraulic adjustable ones here.

I stand almost all day at work but I take a 15-20 minute sit break about every two hours if I don't have meetings where I need to sit. I also stand at home using a desk like this one and have a mat/tall office chair there also.

When you start out, make sure to stand only for like 15-30 minutes at a time. I started off in 2013 trying to stand for much longer periods and my lower back and legs ached miserably from it. Now I love standing and can go for hours at a time. When I sat all day I'd feel tired quite often but now I am alert throughout the day. The one downside is when I do have to sit for prolonged periods (long car rides) my derriere aches. :(

Make sure to vary your position while standing and use an anti-fatigue mat. I do yoga poses, walk in place, kick my legs, alternate standing on either foot, etc. A box to prop one foot on at a time under your desk helps too.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

It seems like everyone like/love their standing desks. It makes sense.

But where are those slackers who like their chairs and poor posture? :twisted:
Compound

Post by Compound »

Thank you everyone for the replies -- they are very helpful.

I'm largely looking for the setup cbr shadow has. My spouse and I do quite a bit of work in our office at home. We have very different statures, so the four presets of the Ergo Jarvis would come in very handy!

Cbr shadow: I'm curious to know if there is perceptible/bothersome desktop wobble when positioned tall for standing work. Also does your setup have the monitor mount they sell? Do you like that?

:sharebeer
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

My office desk converts between sitting/standing.

I like standing mode for phone calls. I can pace around my cube, monitors are up high, and I can multitask if I want.

If I need to focus and concentrate on a task, I have to sit down.
alamander

Post by alamander »

I'm another who bought an Uplift desk, 2 motorized legs with wheels that can lock. I bought a table top (because I wanted one big enough, 60" X 30"), had it stained and finished. Then I put it on the legs. Now I have 3 monitors, my natural keyboard, and 2 phones.

Today I stood all day. Often it's half and half. I have a large mat (also from Uplift) on which I stand but when I sit I put a hard plastic rolling chair protector over it, though they say the pad could withstand the chair wheels.

Basically it's great. You aren't stuck with a particular standing height but can experiment with standing and sitting heights to find which works best, or simply change heights for variety.

I will say there are a heck of a lot of wires when all is said and done: computer, monitors, speakers, phone, coffee warmer, printer (the printer is on a separate table). But, as I move into my 65th year (!!! :shock: :shock:) I am happy they have discovered that working standing up is a good thing. At least part-time. Churchill worked standing up (or from his bed); Cardinal Newman worked standing up. So do I, though I am not in their league otherwise.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Protec ... ge_o00_s00

This power strip works well with standing desk. It clamped to the side of the table.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
latexman

Post by latexman »

BE CAREFUL! I got one and ruined my feet. It is taking forever for my feet to get better. If I could redo it, I wouldn't get one.
noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye »

I previously had a sit / stand desk and I now miss having it. I will be getting one in the near future, and I think mixing postures (sit and stand) is quite helpful.

My coworkers have the jarvis mentioned above, and I have seen the desks at ikea mentioned above and they also seem like an affordable option and seem reasonably well built (as far as ikea goes). If I could afford it, I would likely go with the jarvis.

Good luck, I think the sit / stand options are great.