What are Costco's best deals?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mr_scaramanga

What are Costco's best deals?

Post by mr_scaramanga »

I'm looking to find out what Bogleheads think are the best deals that Costco offers. These can be individual items or services.

Here are three that I think are particularly good:

1.) Glasses at Costco Optical: I recently got new single-vision lenses for existing frames. For Hi-Index plastic, AR coating, I paid $110. That was less than half the price I was quoted at the other optical shops I checked - LensCrafters and Pearl.

2.) Costco pre-cooked roasted chicken: You get a whole cooked chicken for $5. It tastes great has enough meat to last us for days.

3.) Costco hot dog: For $1.50, you get a gigantic hot dog, plus unlimited refills of a soda of your choice. They also offer unlimited mustard, relish, and onions. I'll pop in there for lunch and the hot dog completely satisfies me.
Raybo

Re: What are Costco's best deals?

Post by Raybo »

Things we always buy at CostCo:

Frozen organic blueberries
Walnuts
Almonds
Tomatoes
Kiwis
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Their 1.50 Hot Dogs are Classic,,, :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

Yea but they switched from coke to Pepsi so the hotdog deal isn't the same any more

Frankly with Costco you can find great deals, ok deals, and bad ones all the time. Problem is that normally you go in looking for x but y which u don't need is a great deal.
moghopper

Post by moghopper »

Suddenly I have a taste for chicken.
sport

Post by sport »

It is not promoted, but Costco has unadvertised specials throughout the store. They can be recognized by the prices ending in 97 cents, such as $2.97. The only way you can find them, is to walk up and down the aisles until you see them. Of course, that is exactly why Costco does this. You are almost guaranteed to find other things to buy while you are doing this. However, some of those bargains are really good values.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

$8.99 for about a liter of Arbequina olive oil. It's not the best, but for the cost, I haven't found anything better.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

The fresh berries and gasoliine tend to be the best prices I can get in our state, especially if I use their business AmEx to get extra 4% rebate.

Also buy tires and sometimes car and regular electronics batteries.

Love buying electronics with them for their no hassle returns.

Their granola bars and cases of bottled water tend to be reasonable.

They often have the best rental car rates.
Busting Myths

Post by Busting Myths »

Kirkland toilet paper.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Wish we had a Costco's here :(
All the Best, | Joe
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

HIinvestor wrote:The fresh berries and gasoliine tend to be the best prices I can get in our state, especially if I use their business AmEx to get extra 4% rebate.

Also buy tires and sometimes car and regular electronics batteries.

Love buying electronics with them for their no hassle returns.

Their granola bars and cases of bottled water tend to be reasonable.

They often have the best rental car rates.
In the future, Costco won't be partnered with Amex.

Not sure when that relationship ends, or which cc company will have the new Costco account.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
GenXer

Post by GenXer »

For us, coffee (San Francisco Roasting Co. French Roast). It ranges from $13 to $17 for a 3-lb. bag. It took me years to give up our Peet's habit (about 3 lbs./month) but the average price just kept rising until I was regularly paying $12/lb. for the cheapest coffee there. Once every year or so, someone gives me a pound of Peet's for a gift. While I enjoy it, it just doesn't taste that different from what I buy from Costco--certainly not 300% better.

Also oatmeal, butter (I bake frequently), flour, white and brown sugar, maple syrup, ibuprofen/acetaminophen, school supplies in the fall, Kirkland dog food for our previous dog (that alone "paid" for the membership), and diaper wipes when the kids were small. When we went to Kauai a couple of years ago, we saved an extraordinary amount of money on food, alcohol, and towels by shopping at the Costco in Lihue. (It had opened since our previous trip 5 years earlier.)

It took me a long time to commit to a membership at Costco. I am one of the only people I know who doesn't enjoy shopping there, even though I respect the company's business model.
Last edited by GenXer on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich »

+1 for Costco in Hawaii. We saved a ton on food and gas in Kona. Tuna poke is amazing and a variety of flavors to choose from.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I got a great deal on a 60" Vizio TV just before the Superbowl. Of course that deal is gone now but they often have good TV deals and double the manufacturer's warranty which is also nice.

We find consistent good deals there on paper goods, detergents, spices, nuts, wine, meat and fish, produce, cheese, eggs, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, LED light bulbs, batteries, toothpaste and other items purchased less regularly like tires.

I also use them to refill my printer ink. I always purchase printers for which Costco will refill the ink because I've had such good luck with their service and ink quality.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
tylerdurden

Post by tylerdurden »

The top things I can think of.

- Eggs. They're usually $4 for 36.
- Medicine and vitamins. Particularly the Kirkland brand version of Zyrtec, since my wife has allergies.
- Cooking oils: olive oil and coconut oil.
- Frozen food in bulk: chicken, tilapia, stir fry vegetables.
- Razor refills and toothpaste.
- Wine for novices. :)
"The things you own end up owning you." -TD
Sportswhiz00

Post by Sportswhiz00 »

Big screen tv
poker27

Post by poker27 »

As others have said, most things are a missed. Things I feel like I get a deal on...

Rotisserie chicken
Kirkland whiskey
Orbit gum
Tortillas chips
Paper products
DW detergent. However I just noticed that I'm not crazy about the Kirkland pods. I may change when I runout in 6 months.
Gas, but it would still be cheaper to fill up in the burbs
Some pies or other bakery items
daveatca

good price, but bad for weight

Post by daveatca »

Cheezits. In a large box.
Rexindex

Post by Rexindex »

Victoria's marinara is great stuff.
I also like their filets.
I love their shrimp too.

The only disappointment is their fruit. I get a lot of bad fruit.
“Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity.” | — Simone Weil
UncleBen

Post by UncleBen »

Honey
Maple Syrup
Coconut Oil
Spinach
Nuts
Dried fruits
Cheese
Frozen berries
Butter
Chia Seeds
Quinoa

T.P.

Gasoline

Pizza Combo
carorun

Post by carorun »

Wine (small selection but great quality) :sharebeer, toilet paper/paper towels, and gas. Their rotisserie chickens are also pretty tasty, but not much different price-wise than a regular grocery store.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Thomas' English Muffins 4 6 packs for $6.79.
O'Mara's Irish Cream 1.5L for $12.99 - great in coffee.
Kirkland Vodka is very inexpensive certain states (CA/NV)
Wiki
CABob

Post by CABob »

Hot dog lunch is a very good value, but my personal preference is a slice of pizza.
Gasoline is almost always 8 to 15 cents cheaper than anywhere else.
Things usually in our basket:
Frozen ground beef, 8% fat.
Granola bars
Paper products but I really don't like the large quantity.
Printer paper
Bob
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Already mentioned: Kirkland brand TP and roast chicken (yum).

Also among my regular purchases:
Big bags of Craisins (dried cranberries)
Gloria Vanderbilt blue jeans (much cheaper than at Kohl's). I have a drawer full that I wear everyday and I always keep 2-3 pair with the labels on stored in the closet for when I want to add a fresh new pair to my wardrobe.
swaption

Post by swaption »

Nutella - 66 oz as compared to 13 oz in store, about $12 vs $5
My go to place for trimmed St. Louis cut ribs
My $50 Bolle ski helmet
Greek yogurt
Big containers of mixed nuts
Kirkland organic olive oil
Generic Claritin, and other generics
Cliff Bars
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

I dont have Costco as the wholesale quantity is too large for us and we end up wasting most of it. However, I go with my friend sometimes for 1-2 items and find people circling around the free food counters. So I conclude thats the best deal at Costco :wink:
avidsaver

Post by avidsaver »

Levetiracetam, the generic version of Keppra (Rx) is about $30 for a month's supply from their pharmacy (and you don't have to be a member to use it). This compared to $117 at Walmart and $88 at Walgreens (with their $20/yr prescription discount program). My corgi dog thanks their wholesale prices! 8-)
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Orange Juice - either Simply Orange or Tropicana. Beats the sale prices at other stores.

The fuel prices are also excellent and worthwhile especially if you're there mid-day. Generally no lines and beats local stations by 10 to 15 cents.

$3.69/lb for high quality ground beef. We freeze and thaw as needed.

Kirkland Signature Dress Shirts for men - on sale at $12.99 or regular $17.99. These are top quality and last for years.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

The best DEAL (i.e. compared to what I would compare elsewhere) for me is generic Zyrtec.

My favorite product is the Kirkland Signature frozen salmon fillets.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

organic maple syrup
frozen berries
cheese sticks
cheese, most kinds
spinach/salad tubs
tofu (crazy cheap, and organic/non-gmo)
frozen green beans, crazy cheap
nuts in general
flank steak
wine
canola oil and olive oil
peanut butter
protein bars
car batteries
car rentals
toblerone

Post by toblerone »

I'm not sure these are the best deals, but what I consider good deals for what I want/need, and that I never buy at regular grocery stores.

water (40 x 500ml bottles)
bounty paper towels
charmin toilet paper
xerox printer paper
cereal
mixed nuts
razor refills, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant
jonas

Post by jonas »

24 Hour Fitness gym membership
Gasoline
Hotdog+soda
Free samples of food (weekends)
red5

Post by red5 »

Dog food (good ingredients, low price)
Dog beds
Milk (buying three gallons a week adds to a lot of savings over a year)
The others seem to have exhausted many of the other good deals.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

The price difference on each of the following items is enough to pay for the Costco membership.

If you have cats, cat litter, consistently half the price per pound of nearest competitor.

If you bake (I bake bread), flour, in large 25 - 50 lbs bags.

Reflector LED bulbs . I still have about 180 CFL bulbs in my home (out of about 240 total), currently 4.5 years old, which are dying at a rate of about 1 per month, and am replacing them with LED bulbs. It will be years until they are all replaced. I haven't found anyone cheaper than Costco, and believe me, I have looked. That said, the prices of LEDs on an annual basis is still much more than CFLs, even assuming they really last 20 years. But the faster startup time is worth it. And hopefully they won't dim as fast. I don't have any really old LEDs yet to tell - none has died yet.

Edit: added Greek yogurt. I have stopped making my own because it just didn't make sense at this price.
SteadyWins

Post by SteadyWins »

The samples near the frozen food aisles.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

1. Milk
2. Organic foods,Fruits and organic milk
3. Kitchenware if you need a very good quality
4. Cereals
5. Snacks in the bakery and breads
6. Nuts like almond, pecan, walnut
7. Pizza , hotdog and soda

Basically I see everything they sell except electronics are good deal including flowers

Ofcourse their samples over the week end
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
keystone

Post by keystone »

Costco isn't the cheapest for everything, but there are items that I have found cheaper at Costco than anywhere else:

Kind bars - comes out to about $1 per bar
Similac advance baby formula - purchased directly from their website, even better when they have an online coupon

We also buy Kirkland diapers and wipes which are significantly cheaper than the major brands.
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

Fruit
Veggies
Gas
Beer

I should check some of the prices, I think we are paying more than we should in some areas. On the other hand the customer service has always been good, I see the same people working all the time (must have low turn over), from what I hear they pay the employee's a decent wage, that's worth something to me.

The one pet peeve of mine at Costco is having to have someone look at all my stuff in the cart after the checkout (exit check point?), its a complete waist of my time and I question if its worth paying 1-2 people to that all day long. I get everything boxed up nice and neat while the wife pays the bill then they want to rummage thru it at the exit :annoyed Been going to Costco for 5-6 year now, 1 time a week and never have found an issue with my cart when I leave, I have never seen an issue with anyone else's cart for the matter either.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
knowsnothing

Post by knowsnothing »

Whey Protein Powder, water and soda
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Sportswhiz00 wrote:Big screen tv
I did a lot of comparison shopping, and after having just purchased a 60", other retailers have deals just as good if not better. The TV I bought was cheaper at Best Buy (I was surprised). It all depends on which model, of course, but people shouldn't get the idea that any big TV they get there is going to provide savings. Maybe it's like Wal-mart's super deals, which get you in the door and they are a good deal, but they're designed to entice you to a better model, which is actually more expensive than other places.
Girino

Post by Girino »

Nuts including pine nuts, maple syrup, Parmegiano and Romano cheese, goat cheese. Kirkland decaf coffee beans. Copper River salmon in season.
anil686

Post by anil686 »

I think most of us on this thread have identified most of them:

Hot dogs and soda
Milk
Eggs/Egg Whites
Coffee (Kirkland signature starbucks roast)
toilet paper/paper towels/napkins
bottled water
rot chicken

The added piece of mind with the extended coverage on electronics is nice
gift cards for restaurants locally are also pretty good - typically save 20% although I just saw a Buca di Peppo 25% off ($100 gift card for $74.99)
ChiefIlliniwek

Post by ChiefIlliniwek »

dbCooperAir wrote:Fruit
Veggies
Gas
Beer

I should check some of the prices, I think we are paying more than we should in some areas. On the other hand the customer service has always been good, I see the same people working all the time (must have low turn over), from what I hear they pay the employee's a decent wage, that's worth something to me.

The one pet peeve of mine at Costco is having to have someone look at all my stuff in the cart after the checkout (exit check point?), its a complete waist of my time and I question if its worth paying 1-2 people to that all day long. I get everything boxed up nice and neat while the wife pays the bill then they want to rummage thru it at the exit :annoyed Been going to Costco for 5-6 year now, 1 time a week and never have found an issue with my cart when I leave, I have never seen an issue with anyone else's cart for the matter either.
They have the cheapest Cliff Bars that I have found. I also like their toilet paper and paper towels.

I don't get the whole check your cart thing either. They barely look at anything at my store. Just a quick scan at the receipt and then a quick scan of the cart and that is it. Like you said it seems like a waste of your time and money.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

ChiefIlliniwek wrote:
dbCooperAir wrote:Fruit
Veggies
Gas
Beer

They have the cheapest Cliff Bars that I have found. I also like their toilet paper and paper towels.

I don't get the whole check your cart thing either. They barely look at anything at my store. Just a quick scan at the receipt and then a quick scan of the cart and that is it. Like you said it seems like a waste of your time and money.
They are cancelling your receipt to make sure, no one can reuse the same receipt for another cart full of items.
Let us say big ticket item such as a electronics, etc.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

I only buy a few things there once a month:

Salmon burgers
Oatmeal
Chia seeds
Frozen blueberries
10lb bag carrots (for juicing)
Mini packs of guacamole
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

dbCooperAir wrote:The one pet peeve of mine at Costco is having to have someone look at all my stuff in the cart after the checkout (exit check point?), its a complete waist of my time and I question if its worth paying 1-2 people to that all day long.
I think you may be surprised to know just how much theft occurs at the typical retail establishment - somewhere around 1.5% of sales which would translate into about 1.5 billion dollars for Costco (over $100B in sales) or about $4 million per store (roughly 400 stores). The cost of 1-2 people is a pittance if it can make a significant dent in that number. To the extent that Costco can take those dollars from thieves and put them into my pocket through lower prices I'm all for it, especially if they can hire 400 to 800 more people and pay them a reasonable wage plus benefits in the process.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

BW1985 wrote:Chia seeds
The last two times I was at my local Costco they did not have Chia. I hope it's a temporary shortage.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Gas with Amex CC which is going away at end of calendar year
OTC drugs
Eyeglasses - great service, they will replace defective or damaged glasses at no charge (at least they did for me twice)
Hearing aids (Costco claims they are largest seller of hearing aids)
Electronics, especially TVs and computers
Inkjet cartridges and other office supplies
Tires
Travel packages (I have never used but my daughter claims they are the best)
I do not buy food there because it usually requires buying larger quantities and I am very satisfied with a couple of supermarket chains locally

Generally, Costco will have a more limited selection of products, but what they offer is usually of high quality and good value.
looking

Post by looking »

GenXer wrote:For us, coffee (San Francisco Roasting Co. French Roast). It ranges from $13 to $17 for a 3-lb. bag. It took me years to give up our Peet's habit (about 3 lbs./month) but the average price just kept rising until I was regularly paying $12/lb. for the cheapest coffee there. Once every year or so, someone gives me a pound of Peet's for a gift. While I enjoy it, it just doesn't taste that different from what I buy from Costco--certainly not 300% better.

Also oatmeal, butter (I bake frequently), flour, white and brown sugar, maple syrup, ibuprofen/acetaminophen, school supplies in the fall, Kirkland dog food for our previous dog (that alone "paid" for the membership), and diaper wipes when the kids were small. When we went to Kauai a couple of years ago, we saved an extraordinary amount of money on food, alcohol, and towels by shopping at the Costco in Lihue. (It had opened since our previous trip 5 years earlier.)

" When we went to Kauai a couple of years ago, we saved an extraordinary amount of money on food, alcohol, and towels by shopping at the Costco in Lihue. (It had opened since our previous trip 5 years earlier.)"
im planing to go hawaii so wher i can find the place where is the Kauai, Lihue

It took me a long time to commit to a membership at Costco. I am one of the only people I know who doesn't enjoy shopping there, even though I respect the company's business model.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

joe8d wrote:Wish we had a Costco's here :(
Wish we had Wegman's here :(

... and "Beef on Weck"