Guns for hunting/defense

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
martin7

Guns for hunting/defense

Post by martin7 »

What guns do you own and what would you like to own either for hunting or for self defense?
What caliber/makes/models do you prefer?

1. 12 Gauge Semi Auto Shotgun (hunting/home defense) (Benelli)
2. .308 Bolt/Semi Auto Rifle w/ Scope (deer hunting) (Remington 700)
3. 9mm (larger magazine) or .45 (stopping power) Semi Auto Pistol (Target shooting/Personal Defense) (Glock)
4. .22 Rifle or Pistol (Inexpensive target shooting) (Ruger/Marlin)
Andyrunner

Re: Guns for hunting/defense

Post by Andyrunner »

Just started looking at some as I'm looking to hunt in the fall.

Currently looking at but have yet to purchase:
20 gauge mossberg 500
20 gauge remington 870

Probably looking for a combo so I can hunt pheasent and deer (at the very least shot is much cheaper then slugs). Any ideas on what would be a good price for both?

Currently own:
Remmington air rifle for practice in the backyard.
Cottons

Post by Cottons »

Just the one since Chicago is strict on gun laws, and I'm cheap. :D

Sig P938
I want a RIA 1911 chambered in 9mm, 3" barrel.
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

XM29 OICW
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
tnbison

Post by tnbison »

Glock 23 for home defense/carry. one word: RELIABLE
Browning BPS 12 Gauge for hunting/home defense
Remington Sportsmaster 341-P which is almost 80 years old. My grandfather, father, brother and myself all learned to shoot with it. Still a tack driver.
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

martin7 wrote:What guns do you own and what would you like to own either for hunting or for self defense?

3. 9mm (larger magazine) or .45 (stopping power) Semi Auto Pistol (Target shooting/Personal Defense) (Glock)
I think many would look at your list as a reasonable answer to questions in the form of "If you could only have 4 guns ..."

For a home defense shotgun many would prefer a pump action to a semi-automatic, mainly on the grounds that they are thought to be more reliable. Some semi-autos don't function well with certain ammo loads, so if you do go that way be sure to test out your home defense load with your gun.

If you are really only planning to hunt deer with the rifle, you might give some thought to .270 instead of .308. .308 works well for deer, but .270 shoots flatter and is equally capable for deer hunting. If you are thinking about larger game and want one rifle to "do it all", then .308 might be a better option. Others would suggest 30-06 because it will work for any large game in north America, and can be found in any store that carries rifle ammunition.

Personally, I think when it comes to choice of a handgun caliber you should choose what you shoot best. I am marginally more accurate and faster with 9mm compared to .40 or .45, so that's my preference. I happen to like Sigs, but I admit the trigger is harder to learn. There is nothing at all wrong with Glocks - they are cost effective and ultra-reliable.

IMO every firearms enthusiast needs at least one .22 rifle. They are great for training and low cost fun at the range. A Ruger 10-22 is pretty much the standard for a basic reliable .22 rifle.
Dave
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

For hunting:
Got a couple Ruger 10/22 rifles for small game. One was a gift from my father over 30 years ago and still shoots like new. Now it's the grandson's favorite fun gun. The 25 round magazines you can get now are great.
Also have a bolt action .308 - Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle. It's a beast. Love the short barrel and light weight. Gun accepts 10-round magazines.
Taurus 627 Tracker - 8 inch long barrel .357 revolver. Some heavy duty Buffalo Bore hollow points and deer don't stand a chance. Plus it's 7 shots, not 6.
Browning Buck Mark .22 semi auto with a red dot sight mounted. Squirrels beware.

Self defense:
Ruger LCR 38 snub nose revolver
Seecamp 32 ultra compact semi auto pocket gun
Stoeger Coach Gun, short barrel 12 ga. side by side. Cut the stock down to a pistol grip and it's just barely legal. What a fun hand cannon.
Glock 22, 40 S&W full size cop gun.

Wish list:
JR Carbine takedown model in 40 S&W to go with the Glock. The carbine would accept the same magazines as the handgun.
Some sort of lever action rifle in .357 magnum
Ruger GP 100 revolver in .357 magnum
Smith & Wesson XV 460 revolver in the 5" barrel. Same gun shoots 45 colt, 454 Casull and 460 Magnum. Yee haw!

:beer
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

I had my heart set on a Glock 9 mm semi-auto 2 years ago. Went to dealer, tried it out, and discovered to my dismay that with stage 4 Keinbock disease in left wrist did not have the strength to rack (pull the slide all the way back ) the weapon. Tried my hardest. Again and again until finally gave up :( :(

Went home to resume life with my circa-1980 model S&W short-barrel 38.

Nothing wrong with the revolver except holding such small ammo capacity plus the chore of having to take it to the shop to get cleaned and checked annually. Thought with a pistol I could learn to do the cleaning chores myself (part of reason for wanting to switch)

Don't do any hunting, just keep a gun for personal defense.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Remington 700 BDL in .30-06 (mostly deer hunting)
Ruger 10-22 (mostly plinking)
A really old, single shot 410 shotgun w/ no sights (mostly small game when you want a challenge)
Beretta AL390 Gold - 12ga semi-auto (mostly sporting clays)

2 HK USPc .45s (extremely reliable, big holes)
2 HK P7 PSP 9mms (extremely reliable, smaller but more holes, grip squeeze cock, smaller frame, concealed carry)

It's hard to beat a pump 12ga for home defense. Racking that slide is a good deterrent. I don't own one, but it's on the "list".
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Atilla wrote:Cleaning revolvers is easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiWNZgtu2uw
Thanks for the link, Atilla. Altho I have to admit when I saw the youtube name - thought you were going to prank me - turn out to be video of someone who shot foot off while cleaning gun, LOL.

Since its almost 20 minutes, will wait until after supper to give it a, er, shot and see what's up.

I was just going by the old adage that a revolver can be a pia because it has so many more moving parts than a pistol. Also I did not want to have to go out and buy so many tools and supplies for revolver cleaning at home that I would have not only substantial :moneybag outlay, but have to find room to store everything. :annoyed
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

martin7 wrote:What guns do you own and what would you like to own either for hunting or for self defense?

I shoot competitively an have done so for years. My knowledge of handguns is far greater than that of shotguns, but here are a few thoughts:
1) Shotguns - you may want to split this up. What makes a good home defense shotgun doesnt make a great hunting shotgun. A great and reasonably inexpensive home defense shotgun would be the remington 870 pump (they make short versions). There are all kinds of great 12 guages for hunting, but which is best gets a little subjective and is based on what you are hunting too (birds or game where you would shoot slugs, etc). I have a benelli Ethos semi and a Beretta Silver Pigeon over/under.
2) .308 - you nailed it. Reminton 700 comes in many flavors and can be an incredible accurate and versitile hunting rifle. Great value in my opinion.
3) 9mm or .45 - many many many options. Again target shooting and personal defense dont go hand in hand. If when you say "personal defense" you also mean concealed carry, then the trend these days is toward smaller and thinner. Sig, Kahr, and everybody else make them. I like my Kakr MK9 the best of my smaller handguns. My personal preference for carry is 9mm over .45 due to weight and capacity considerations, but this is really a personal choice. I'd suggest holding many and seeing which you like in terms of feel, weight, balalnce, etc. For target shooting, are you looking for recreational or competitive? Lots of great guns out there. My primary competitive handgun is a custom 2011 (built on an STI frame and slide) in .38 super.
4) .22s - again you nailed it on the rifle end with Marlin or Ruger. Ruger 10/22 is a great little 22 rile (very reliable and can be suprisingly accurate). Comes in many flavors as well. My Marlin 39A is my favorite 22 rifle (lever action). .22 pistols, I'd go with a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger Mark III (i like the Browning MUCH better) if you want a semi-auto. Keep in mind .22 is dirty and .22 semi's are not the most reliable things on earth. I'd also suggest a Ruger Single Six (revolver).

Good luck. Lots of choices out there.
Topic Author
martin7

Post by martin7 »

DFrank wrote:
I think many would look at your list as a reasonable answer to questions in the form of "If you could only have 4 guns ..."

For a home defense shotgun many would prefer a pump action to a semi-automatic, mainly on the grounds that they are thought to be more reliable. Some semi-autos don't function well with certain ammo loads, so if you do go that way be sure to test out your home defense load with your gun.

If you are really only planning to hunt deer with the rifle, you might give some thought to .270 instead of .308. .308 works well for deer, but .270 shoots flatter and is equally capable for deer hunting. If you are thinking about larger game and want one rifle to "do it all", then .308 might be a better option. Others would suggest 30-06 because it will work for any large game in north America, and can be found in any store that carries rifle ammunition.

Personally, I think when it comes to choice of a handgun caliber you should choose what you shoot best. I am marginally more accurate and faster with 9mm compared to .40 or .45, so that's my preference. I happen to like Sigs, but I admit the trigger is harder to learn. There is nothing at all wrong with Glocks - they are cost effective and ultra-reliable.

IMO every firearms enthusiast needs at least one .22 rifle. They are great for training and low cost fun at the range. A Ruger 10-22 is pretty much the standard for a basic reliable .22 rifle.
That is a good point about pump shotguns and many have the same arguments for bolt rifles.

Pump/bolt pros- Less parts to break, less parts to clean, less parts to oil, cheap.
Pump/bolt cons - Easy to short stroke when under stress, slow follow-up shots.

Semi-auto pros - Very fast follow up shots, user racks the charging handle and goes to town.
Semi-auto cons - More parts to break, clean, oil... expensive.

Also, I think the .308 is a solid all purpose rifle (if you only want one) with very good accuracy at long range.

.45 vs 9mm is another good debate and I could go either way. Amazing stopping power but more recoil and smaller mags with the .45.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I don't hunt, but like my guns. On a late night call from a neighbor in need I would carry a S&W model 66 4 inch .357 and a cowboy lever action in .357 too. :beer
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

Remington 870 - 12 gauge
Browning A-Bolt - 308
Marlin XT22

Those are my hunting guns. I guess the 870 could double for home defense.
WolfpackFan

Post by WolfpackFan »

I own a Glock 19 gen 4. I consider it the Toyota Camry of pistols. Reliable and boring.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Henry makes some of the best lever action rifles IMO. I really enjoy the frontier model 22 with the octagon barrel. This is fun to shoot, brings out the cowboy in me.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

WolfpackFan wrote:I own a Glock 19 gen 4. I consider it the Toyota Camry of pistols. Reliable and boring.
Except it would be a Camry with a 35 gallon tank, cloth seats, and no airbags. And only comes in black. :D
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

Mossberg 590 A1. Skip the pistol grip. Holds 9 Rds of 2.75 unless your in the peoples republic of NJ where they limit the capacity to 5.
My favorite is the Beretta 92FS Inox. Old design, 15 Rd limit (NJ law) but man it just feels like an extension of your hand (I have big hands).
There are lots of .45's out there but I was looking at the new Glock 41 but I have not had a chance to fire one yet.
I like .357 magnums too. S&W 627 pro has 8 rounds and if money is tight you can load with certain .38 ammo. A lot of people dont care for revolvers but this is just a beautiful gun to shoot.
Deep Thoughts

Post by Deep Thoughts »

I used to shoot a lot of skeet/trap and also volunteered as a range marshall during times when the club needed extra help (start of hunting seasons/competitions/etc).

A pump shotgun is a very reliable gun ONLY if the person is used to shooting one and does so regularly. I can't tell you the number of times on a skeet range I have seen people short shuck pump shotguns ... also the number of great shooters I've seen with pumps I can count on one hand. I'm not saying they don't exist but there are just not many of them. Don't mislead yourself into thinking that when something very scary or exciting is happening that you are going to get that second/third shot off with a pump.

The Benelli autos are LEGENDARY for reliable cycling of their shells. They are a spring rotating bolt system (not the old gas operated style). If you have shells that can compress that spring, they will shoot ... it is the "GLOCK" of automatic shotguns IMHO.
Topic Author
martin7

Post by martin7 »

Traveller wrote:
I shoot competitively an have done so for years. My knowledge of handguns is far greater than that of shotguns, but here are a few thoughts:
1) Shotguns - you may want to split this up. What makes a good home defense shotgun doesnt make a great hunting shotgun. A great and reasonably inexpensive home defense shotgun would be the remington 870 pump (they make short versions). There are all kinds of great 12 guages for hunting, but which is best gets a little subjective and is based on what you are hunting too (birds or game where you would shoot slugs, etc). I have a benelli Ethos semi and a Beretta Silver Pigeon over/under.
2) .308 - you nailed it. Reminton 700 comes in many flavors and can be an incredible accurate and versitile hunting rifle. Great value in my opinion.
3) 9mm or .45 - many many many options. Again target shooting and personal defense dont go hand in hand. If when you say "personal defense" you also mean concealed carry, then the trend these days is toward smaller and thinner. Sig, Kahr, and everybody else make them. I like my Kakr MK9 the best of my smaller handguns. My personal preference for carry is 9mm over .45 due to weight and capacity considerations, but this is really a personal choice. I'd suggest holding many and seeing which you like in terms of feel, weight, balalnce, etc. For target shooting, are you looking for recreational or competitive? Lots of great guns out there. My primary competitive handgun is a custom 2011 (built on an STI frame and slide) in .38 super.
4) .22s - again you nailed it on the rifle end with Marlin or Ruger. Ruger 10/22 is a great little 22 rile (very reliable and can be suprisingly accurate). Comes in many flavors as well. My Marlin 39A is my favorite 22 rifle (lever action). .22 pistols, I'd go with a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger Mark III (i like the Browning MUCH better) if you want a semi-auto. Keep in mind .22 is dirty and .22 semi's are not the most reliable things on earth. I'd also suggest a Ruger Single Six (revolver).

Good luck. Lots of choices out there.
Thanks for the feedback. Good tips. I think you are right that a hunting shotgun does not make the "best" self-defense gun, but certainly not a bad choice if you only want one shotgun. The longer barrel might get a bit in the way. Also, the smaller handguns they are making now are really amazing. They fit in a pants pocket no problem for concealed carry. For target shooting, I am more recreational. I like plinking with my .22 or even a pellet gun now and then.
Deep Thoughts wrote:I used to shoot a lot of skeet/trap and also volunteered as a range marshall during times when the club needed extra help (start of hunting seasons/competitions/etc).

A pump shotgun is a very reliable gun ONLY if the person is used to shooting one and does so regularly. I can't tell you the number of times on a skeet range I have seen people short shuck pump shotguns ... also the number of great shooters I've seen with pumps I can count on one hand. I'm not saying they don't exist but there are just not many of them. Don't mislead yourself into thinking that when something very scary or exciting is happening that you are going to get that second/third shot off with a pump.

The Benelli autos are LEGENDARY for reliable cycling of their shells. They are a spring rotating bolt system (not the old gas operated style). If you have shells that can compress that spring, they will shoot ... it is the "GLOCK" of automatic shotguns IMHO.
I definitely agree with you. I would much rather have the ability to fire shots quickly with a semi-auto shotgun than having to worry about a pump. Also the noise of pumping the first shell gives away your location. There is also some debate on whether to use buck shot or slugs or even alternate.
ljl

Post by ljl »

Wouldn't the boglehead response would be to ask yourself why you think that the chances that you will be able to effectively use the gun in self-defense are greater than the chances that it will be used to cause injury or death to you or someone you know?
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

Mossberg 20 gauge for squirrel/birds
Marlin Gold Trigger 3030 for deer
Marlin Model 60 22

First gun at 12 and now I'm in my 40's. A gun for defense isn't in the top ten of items to have for defense.
I hunt. That's what I use them for.
dekecarver

Post by dekecarver »

Fox and Merkel for upland
Sako for big game
Remington and Merkel for waterfowl
surfhb

Post by surfhb »

ljl wrote:Wouldn't the boglehead response would be to ask yourself why you think that the chances that you will be able to effectively use the gun in self-defense are greater than the chances that it will be used to cause injury or death to you or someone you know?
Exactly.

What of the odds anyone breaking into the avg boglehead home? Probably not very high considering you're all smart, high wage earners and live in good neighborhoods.

BTW....a shotgun is the only weapon you would want in a self defense situation.
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

Bersa 45 but recoil may be too much post shoulder surgery
Remington 1187 12 gauge for doves, quail, ducks an home defense
9mm carbine, fun gun to shoot Hi Point
Ruger 22 revolver
Deep Thoughts

Post by Deep Thoughts »

surfhb wrote:

You might be surprised on that .... at inside home ranges a shotgun is more or less a rifle (i.e. its pretty easy to miss). Even sawed off at legal lengths a shotgun doesn't "scatter" like most people think they do. With buckshot forget it. A short barrel AR is a far better choice (less recoil ... better control ... lots of shots).

Whether you need one for self defense depends on your circumstances I suppose.
Downeastah

Post by Downeastah »

I have the following and have had extensive professional training with hand guns:

a)Windham Weaponry AR-15 with AimPoint Pro Optic and Diamond Head fold down iron sights (home defense/recreational shooting/tactical training courses)

b) Glock G19 gen4 9mm (used for concealed carry/home defense/tactical training courses)

c) Glock G26 gen4 9mm (used for concealed carry)

d) Ruger .357 (target shooting)

e) Marlin .35 (hunting)
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr. | | "A man does good business, when he rids himself of a turd." King Edward I of England
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

I own a lot more guns than different securities:

Two shotguns, one a Remington 11-87, the other a 1952 Browning Auto-5. Two AR-15s, one in 5.56, one in 7.62x39. A half dozen other rifles, from a Ruger 10/22 to a 1937 Swiss K-31 with bayonet (a beautifully-made rifle). (I have a Russian Mosin Nagant with a spike bayonet too, but it was ugly wartime manufacture.) At least a dozen semi-auto handguns, my favorites being a Kimber 1911 in .45ACP and my three carry guns, a mid-size Glock 23 in .40, a baby Glock 26 in 9mm, and the pocketable Ruger LCP in .380. (I have a really nice Kahr MK9 that I used to carry, but the LCP has replaced it as my pocket gun.) I also have 2 revolvers, a classic large-frame S&W .357 and an old Russian Nagant M1895.

I clearly need more revolvers. And more rifles. And an over-under shotgun.

I don't hunt, but I could if Kroger weren't so convenient. I do carry daily, both for principal and self defense.
WolfpackFan

Post by WolfpackFan »

Guess that's the reason a typical police officer standard issue weapon is a type of semi-automatic pistol :confused

Believe it or not crime happens EVERYWHERE. There is nowhere in the United States you can move to and be completely shielded from crime. My car was broken into a few weeks back in one of the top 10 safest towns in North Carolina. The detective sent over to investigate said there had been multiple home invasions and car break-ins in our town over those several days. Her suggestion was we get a firearm if we didn't already have one.

"When seconds count the police are minutes away"
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

In the attic--not fired in > 30 years as I lost the thrill of hunting > 40 years ago. (I do still love to shoot, but not enough to bother.):

Mossberg 12 gauge pump
Remington 20 gauge automatic
JC Higgins (Sears) .410 double barrel shotgun (Christmas gift at 10 y/o)
Browning .22 lever action rifle (birthday gift at 13 y/o)--The most fun gun ever for a teenager!

In nightstand:
.38 revolver (forget brand--nothing special and too lazy to open drawer and case to look)--bought it 20 years ago for something to have in my car when I used to travel with significant cash. Got a 2" barrel as I wanted something small and just enough to "get someone off me" if necessary. I only have it handy now "just because."

If I thought I really needed something for home defense, I'd get the pump out of the attic or maybe even the .410 if it still fires reliably and probably saw its barrels down to make it easier to maneuver inside.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Seems like most of the self defense stuff has been covered.

To answer your second question... I would really like a 375 H&H :sharebeer
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

killjoy2012 wrote:It's hard to beat a pump 12ga for home defense. Racking that slide is a good deterrent.
I used to think this was true as well, mostly from watching movies. Now they are saying a better deterrent is to yell out loudly, "Emma, call 911 and tell them, 'Shots fired, dead bodies, come quick!', then hang up; and I'll get the shotgun."

If they stay after that, they were beggin' for a shootin'.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

ljl wrote:Wouldn't the boglehead response would be to ask yourself why you think that the chances that you will be able to effectively use the gun in self-defense are greater than the chances that it will be used to cause injury or death to you or someone you know?
A well crafted myth. If the bad guy is armed, only a fool tries to take him on. If the bad guy is unarmed, the number of bad guys who hang around after the first shot is fired approaches zero.
surfhb

Post by surfhb »

WolfpackFan wrote:
Guess that's the reason a typical police officer standard issue weapon is a type of semi-automatic pistol :confused

Believe it or not crime happens EVERYWHERE. There is nowhere in the United States you can move to and be completely shielded from crime. My car was broken into a few weeks back in one of the top 10 safest towns in North Carolina. The detective sent over to investigate said there had been multiple home invasions and car break-ins in our town over those several days. Her suggestion was we get a firearm if we didn't already have one.

"When seconds count the police are minutes away"
Im guessing its standard issue because they need to run very fast to pursue a criminal. Regardless, the odds of you being in this situation are very low. Ive lived in one of the most violent city in the world (LA) my whole life and never had anyone break into my home or need a weapon of any kind. [OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]

BTW..... I own several weapons and plan to sell them soon. The money is better served in the retirement accounts.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

As a reminder, firearm discussions are on-topic as a consumer issue.

Please stay focused on the firearms themselves. Opinions of dealing with bad guys are off-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Levett

Post by Levett »

I eagerly await the new edition of the Bogleheads Guide to Firearms: How to Protect Your Portfolio from Confiscation.

No doubt it will be a "gem." ;-)

Lev
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Or,

"The Boglehead Guide to Bullet-Proofing Your Investments"
Topic Author
martin7

Post by martin7 »

Andyrunner wrote:Just started looking at some as I'm looking to hunt in the fall.

20 gauge mossberg 500
20 gauge remington 870

Probably looking for a combo so I can hunt pheasent and deer (at the very least shot is much cheaper then slugs). Any ideas on what would be a good price for both?

Currently own:
You will want a lightweight gun for pheasant hunting and a good bird dog. The Mossberg is lighter.
http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/Resources/ ... fault.aspx
For deer hunting with a shotgun, I would recommend a slug and a rifled barrel for more stopping power and range.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/answers/g ... -slugs-why
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I'm glad to see so many 9mm recommendations. Seems like these days guys claim you need a 45 to do any damage.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Good grief, this thread has taken a turn

If you aren't a gun fan, there are plenty of other threads to comment on
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Good grief, agree !

Let's forget the politics and get back on track.

What about me? Wrist/hand impairment makes 9mm semi-auto pistol (the Glock I craved) impossible.

But the 5-shot revolver worries me if I get in a situation where I have to fire all 5 and re-load.

For someone like me who lacks manual dexterity to work the slide on 9mm semi, what would be the next best choice to replace revolver????????
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

^^^ a semi auto can hold 15 or more bullets where a revolver will hold 5 or 6.

If you're in a position to rack the slide at least one time, you can keep a semi auto with one in the chamber. That may sound scary to some, but it is a common practice and advised in capable hands in a safe environment. Just something to consider.

If you still need a revolver ( I love revolvers) you can look into moon clips or speed loaders.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic comment related to statistics of firearm accidents. Several off-topic responses ensued, which have also been removed; continuity is lost.

Please stay on-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Andyrunner wrote:Just started looking at some as I'm looking to hunt in the fall.

20 gauge mossberg 500
20 gauge remington 870

Currently own:
I recommend the Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge, combo rifled/smooth bore barrels set me back about $420 at the time, can use either 3 inch or 2 and 3/4 inch shells or sabots. It's a good all-around gun for big game. I prefer a double barrel over and under for birding in 12 or 16 gauge, but the Mossberg is not going to fit the "bill" for that.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

drawpoker wrote:What about me? Wrist/hand impairment makes 9mm semi-auto pistol (the Glock I craved) impossible.

But the 5-shot revolver worries me if I get in a situation where I have to fire all 5 and re-load.

For someone like me who lacks manual dexterity to work the slide on 9mm semi, what would be the next best choice to replace revolver????????
A glock or other striker fired semi-auto will likely be too hard to pull back the slide given your wrist issues. Striker fired guns need heavy springs because the single sliding motion of the slide has to both manage recoil as well as retail sufficient energy to drive the striker forward in a straight line. a revolver is a good option, but of you want a semi then you need a hammer fired gun such as a classic 1911. This way the recoil spring can be much lighter to just control recoil. The hammer has its own spring and can also be lighter because of the mechanical advantage of the levered hammer. The lighter recoil springs make it is easier to pull back the slide and you should be able to cock the hammer with thumb or off hand. The longer the slide, the lighter recoils spring you can use. Not sure about your budget, but if you want 9mm I'd look at an STI Eagle in 9mm.
Last edited by Traveller on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

For home defense:

I'd get a revolver as it is easy to use for any novice and won't jam. A .38 caliber should be big enough. Please take a gun safety course if you are not versed in how to safely use guns.

For Hunting:

It depends on the state. Kentucky allows one to hunt with assault rifles and I believe there are a few other states that do as well. Shot guns with a rifled slug barrel are good for closer range while rifles are good for longer range shots.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

I carry on duty and recommend the Glock 19 9mm.

Capacity is of the utmost importance, low weight and concealment mean a lot too. Easy to clean/assemble. I tried out fancier/more expensive brands and found them to be either overcomplicated or overweight for my needs.

I think the Glock 19 is a very Boglehead-ish gun. Basic, won't break the bank.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

TxAg wrote:Seems like most of the self defense stuff has been covered.

To answer your second question... I would really like a 375 H&H :sharebeer
Short of going for grizzly or alaskan brown bear or something more exotic in Africa, what would you need a 375 H&H for?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

tainted-meat wrote:

For Hunting:

It depends on the state. Kentucky allows one to hunt with assault rifles and I believe there are a few other states that do as well. Shot guns with a rifled slug barrel are good for closer range while rifles are good for longer range shots.
Not sure where you hunt, but in my experience most of the shots are within a 100 yards. A rifled barrel using sabots ought to hit the target within 2 inches.