Do you watch commercials?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
squirm

Do you watch commercials?

Post by squirm » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:10 pm

Tonight on the evening news, there was a segment regarding how some cable channels are speeding up shows in order to insert another commercial or two. I turned to my wife and asked, when was the last time we watched a commercial? for the past ten years, we DVR everything, including sports. Unless we're watching TV at a friends or families place, that is the only time we watched commercials. (We even DVR the Superbowl, no I don't even watch those commercials).

I do notice that some commercial breaks are ridiculously long. Some channels insert commercial lengths that exceed 6 minutes. There was one movie on TV we watched where there was a 6 minute commercial break, followed by 7 minutes of programming with another 6 minute commercial break.

Ron Ronnerson

Re: Do you watch commercials?

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:38 pm

I DVR everything and skip the commercials too. If a show I like is about to come on, I'll wait a few minutes to begin watching it so I can skip through the commercials.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:41 pm

Most of the TV shows I watch are on services like Netflix and Amazon Prime which do not have commercials. Hulu Plus has commercials that cannot be skipped and I just turn away.
Wiki

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:27 am

Ron Ronnerson wrote:I DVR everything and skip the commercials too.
So do we, except that we're suckers for cats and cows, so if we see those, we skip back to watch (Chick-Fil-A, Fancy Feast, etc.). 8-)
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:11 am

Got rid of the television.

just frank

Post by just frank » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:22 am

Nope. We're all stream and binge. No $$ DVR required.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:26 am

We generally mute the commercials. I don't watch a lot of TV so I haven't really noticed if programs have been sped up or not. I don't think they do this on PBS which is where I mostly watch.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:33 am

I tend to have the TV on as background when I'm at home in the same way that many people listen to music, so I tend to get exposed to a lot of commercials. I wouldn't say that I "watch" them, though, since I'm typically surfing the Internet, cleaning, reading, or doing something else while they're on.

I do DVR a lot of shows--typically, one or two most nights of the week, at least when the episodes are new--but I'll typically watch a show live if I'm home while it airs. I realize that I can watch it later and fast forward through the commercials, and I'll do that if I'm not at home when the episode airs, but I generally feel like recordings on my DVR are like items on my things to do list: I feel some stress as more and more stuff gets on there, because I know I'm going to watch it all eventually and I want to start moving through it. So, if a show is airing live while I'm home, I'll just watch it live and promptly delete it from my DVR.

Besides, watching TV live has long been for me a way of helping to keep track of what day it is.

DSInvestor, I know someone that subscribed to Hulu Plus, was incensed to find that she was still forced to watch commercials despite paying for it, cancelled, and was then, in her words, "harassed" by Hulu, which kept asking her why she cancelled and begged her to come back when she had no interest in doing so.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:56 am

I remember the days of commercials at 15, 30, 45, past the hour during a television program. Now television shows are so expensive to make that there is a commercial ever 8 - 10 minutes or so.

Another reason why we enjoy Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:53 am

We still watch them. I don't mind them too much as we use them as bathroom breaks or food breaks. They are pretty excessive on Judge Judy though. Literally, it goes to commercial before the verdict to get you to stay. 3 minutes later we get the verdict and bam, commercial again.

FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:56 am

Only during the NFL season when my team is playing. I've been thinking about rigging up a home DVR solution (easy enough) so I can cut that out too.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:25 am

FullYellowJacket wrote:Only during the NFL season when my team is playing. I've been thinking about rigging up a home DVR solution (easy enough) so I can cut that out too.
I DVR my NFL team too. It took a little getting used to, but now I can't watch football live anymore. I still watch the whole game but can blow by the timeouts, referee reviews, halftime and obviously the commercial breaks. Generally it saves me about 1.5 hours of my life, I just have to be careful not to hear the scores.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:31 am

jebmke wrote:We generally mute the commercials. I don't watch a lot of TV so I haven't really noticed if programs have been sped up or not. I don't think they do this on PBS which is where I mostly watch.
We mute commercials also when watching TV.
Regarding commercial time in TV shows,I watch a lot of older shows on Youtube .
One of my favorites is the older Perry Mason shows with Raymond Burr.
Most of the episodes are 55-56 minutes which means about 4 minutes of commercial time.
Hour long shows today are more in the order 15-20 minutes of commercial time. :shock:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:36 am

I try reasonably hard to avoid them.

By the way, it's not a new thing. It always amazes me when people wax nostalgic over "Mickey Mouse Club." That show ran for a half an hour and contained not quite but almost 15 minutes of commercial breaks.

I regret to say that commercials influence me even when I'm trying to ignore them. The very fact that I am seeing a lot of commercials about product X, even if I don't pay attention to the pitch, makes me feel that product X must be big, important, popular, a safe choice, etc.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

JDDS

Post by JDDS » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:41 am

My favorite are commercials where there is just music and pictures/words flashing across the screen. Since I can't see or read them, I'm left baffled as to what product or service I'm supposed to go out and buy. Insurance companies in particular make sure everyone knows: Progressive [Flo], GEICO [even if you don't know that there's a little guy zip-lining], Farmers [the chant], etc.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:44 am

I watch most everything from DVR and skip the commercials. However, one really caught my eye recently and I intentionally watch it every time its on. In fact, I've even backed up the DVR to watch it again!

This may be the most effective advertisement ever created. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnVuqfXohxc

jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:19 am

Ron Ronnerson wrote:I DVR everything and skip the commercials too. If a show I like is about to come on, I'll wait a few minutes to begin watching it so I can skip through the commercials.
That plus we watch a lot of PBS.

furwut

Post by furwut » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:37 am

squirm wrote:
FullYellowJacket wrote:Only during the NFL season when my team is playing. I've been thinking about rigging up a home DVR solution (easy enough) so I can cut that out too.
I DVR my NFL team too. It took a little getting used to, but now I can't watch football live anymore. I still watch the whole game but can blow by the timeouts, referee reviews, halftime and obviously the commercial breaks. Generally it saves me about 1.5 hours of my life, I just have to be careful not to hear the scores.
Most people wont time shift sports or other event programming like the Oscars which makes their commercial slots increasingly valuable.

Me? The only broadcast TV I watch is the evening news. I suspect the cost of using DVDS and streaming will eventually increase to account for the fact that less of the production costs for shows are covered by advertising.

daveatca

Halfway

Post by daveatca » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:48 am

Watch, but do not listen.
The gods invented the mute button for a reason.
Their some drugs that I have seen commercials for and still have no idea what the drug is for.

squirm

Re: Halfway

Post by squirm » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:54 am

daveatca wrote:Watch, but do not listen.
Their some drugs that I have seen commercials for and still have no idea what the drug is for.

We also have XM and at times listen to CNBC in the car, obviously we can't avoid commercials there. The stupidest ad my wife and I laughed at was an ad for a rub on ointment for ED. Really.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:06 pm

OTOH.

I use to, on occasion. I had a masters level course in marketing that included a couple of lectures on them.

The good ones - and the industry use to give out annual awards for the best ones - are real works of art that hit on a number of criteria depending on what they are trying to do and how they try to do it. Budweiser (sp?) ads are classic. The Mac ad that appeared only once in a Super Bowl ad was also classic - women throwing a sledgehammer at a big screen as I recall. Beer ads are / were good. Some cigarette ads use to be so successful at what they did they were banned. The Marlboro Man series. (Of course, that actor died from lung cancer.) Hallmark card ads use to be beautiful - two kids in football helmets under a porch swearing eternal friendship and then a cut to the grown up girl returning home on the train was memorable.

Done well they are a thing of beauty. Most of them aren't worth the time.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The Calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

FedGuy

Re: Halfway

Post by FedGuy » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:31 pm

daveatca wrote:Watch, but do not listen.
That's not necessarily because you had it on mute. A lot of drug commercials are notoriously vague about what the drug is supposed to do, if they even tell you. Apparently it's to limit liability from people suing them for not doing what the commercial said it would do.

My doctor once told me about a female patient who asked him about a particular drug because she had seen a commercial telling her to ask her doctor about it. He informed her that the drug would be of little use to her, since it is intended to help with prostate issues.

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:35 pm

I watch live sports so I see plenty of commercials. I DVR my tv shows and start watching them 10 minutes after they start so i can FF commercials.

When I watch sports I have my laptop with me, so I just surf the internet during the commercials. I am happy with the system I have.

Set40

Post by Set40 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:43 pm

I have such a negative visceral reaction to advertising and marketing that it's bordering on irrational. I at least mute advertisements on TV or switch the channel. I try to ignore the big sign trucks that drive by. I ignore gas station TV. I don't look at billboards. I turn off the radio in between content. etc...

I try to take an active role in the content that enters my life. It feels like a losing battle, but I'm not willing to give up.

There has been no other time in history that marketers/advertisers were better at getting you to spend money than RIGHT NOW. Most of us don't appreciate how complex and effective advertising/marketing/sales strategies are to get us to spend our hard-earned money.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:17 pm

Set40 wrote:I have such a negative visceral reaction to advertising and marketing that it's bordering on irrational. I at least mute advertisements on TV or switch the channel. I try to ignore the big sign trucks that drive by. I ignore gas station TV. I don't look at billboards. I turn off the radio in between content. etc...
You're not the only one. I hate marketing. I hate seeing big old eyesore billboards along the pretty landscaping by us. I hate ads on buses, ads on bus benches, ad trucks that are in open fields. Basically I hate ALL forms of advertising. Digital billboards make me cringe even more.
Last edited by squirm on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:19 pm

mnsportsgeek wrote:I watch live sports so I see plenty of commercials. I DVR my tv shows and start watching them 10 minutes after they start so i can FF commercials.

When I watch sports I have my laptop with me, so I just surf the internet during the commercials. I am happy with the system I have.
I used to have a media center years ago. I would snip commercials from recorded broadcast shows withe software. Worked pretty good too, but it was more effort then it was worth. It's just easier to use the 30 second skip.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:46 am

squirm wrote:
Set40 wrote:I have such a negative visceral reaction to advertising and marketing that it's bordering on irrational. I at least mute advertisements on TV or switch the channel. I try to ignore the big sign trucks that drive by. I ignore gas station TV. I don't look at billboards. I turn off the radio in between content. etc...
You're not the only one. I hate marketing. I hate seeing big old eyesore billboards along the pretty landscaping by us. I hate ads on buses, ads on bus benches, ad trucks that are in open fields. Basically I hate ALL forms of advertising. Digital billboards make me cringe even more.
Same here. I've often viewed marketing as trying to create a need for things you don't need.

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:28 am

We DVR everything as well, I will admit when a commercial catches my eye while using the 30 second skip button we will watch it.

If skipping over commercials and we catch a second of this one we will make a point to go back and watch the complete commercial, what can I say, we sucker for animal commercials. (Android)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnVuqfXohxc
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

marie567

Post by marie567 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:08 am

I try to read during commercials.

But I've been wondering on financing from commercials. On some popular shows commercials are every few minutes and sometimes I time them and they can be up to 4-5 minutes. So the ad money goes to the networks, right? And that goes to pay for making the TV show, actors, production staff, etc, and making a profit so us investors will be happy?

Then I also see on my cable bill, they split out what gets paid to the networks for running their TV shows. So the networks make the money from ads, cable and probably other places? And how are these TV companies doing financially? Is this model working?

Or maybe ad costs have decreased because companies know people are getting around watching them? Maybe we should be paying directly to the networks to watch TV (which we are starting to on our cable bill). I think that model is starting with some networks? Or maybe ads are the price we pay for not wanting to pay for something?

Or is it the price we pay for going from five channels to hundreds. We used to buy a TV and see five channels and have no extra costs and watch some ads.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:13 am

No, I don't usually. But a few circumvent my excellent psychological screening process and eventually become a favorite for now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y6buvXsyto
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

mbk734

Post by mbk734 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:59 am

Would you pay to remove ads? I notice some companies are offering paid subscriptions to get ad free services such as Pandora Radio. I really notice this when watching Netflix TV Shows. A 30 minute show is 20 minutes long without ads. Some magazines are close to 50% ads. I don't listen to the radio or watch regular tv much because of all the ads and no shows really interest me other than an occasional big sports game. I find myself promising (jokingly) to go out of my way not to buy whatever commercials come on TV. Cable/Satellite TV is ridiculously priced considering all of the ads. It is really a waste of time. There was an uproar when Google bought Youtube and added ads before videos. I use Adblock on Google Chrome to block most ads on the web. I remember reading an article about the number of ads you are exposed to during your lifetime. Now I try to minimize the brainwashing I am exposed to.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

JPH

Post by JPH » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:14 pm

I DVR and fast forward commercials. otherwise hit the mute until the program resumes.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

OpenRoad

Post by OpenRoad » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:44 pm

Nope, we don't watch many - the few we do are on Hulu where you can't skip - and for those we pretty much don't pay attention.

Regardless - you're still being advertised to if you watch tv - at least the mainstream stuff - the amount of paid product placements is incredible and rising as commercials have a reduced impact. I know when I see a product placement ad in something like game of thrones, tv commercials will have lost all effectiveness. :)

I had two observations after having lived without cable, and no OTA tv for a number of years:

1) We have gotten extremely picky about what we'll "invest" our time in to watch. Our tolerance has gone way down for shows. Same for movies.
2) Because of 1, we barely watch tv anymore. Because of this, the 3-4 commercials on Hulu don't really bother us.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:02 pm

nisiprius wrote:I try reasonably hard to avoid them.

By the way, it's not a new thing. It always amazes me when people wax nostalgic over "Mickey Mouse Club." That show ran for a half an hour and contained not quite but almost 15 minutes of commercial breaks.

I regret to say that commercials influence me even when I'm trying to ignore them. The very fact that I am seeing a lot of commercials about product X, even if I don't pay attention to the pitch, makes me feel that product X must be big, important, popular, a safe choice, etc.
Everyone is influenced by commercials. However, most people don't realize it or won't admit it.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:46 pm

VictoriaF wrote:

Everyone is influenced by commercials. However, most people don't realize it or won't admit it.
Victoria
No doubt true and it may just be a matter of how consciously people are affected and in what way. In other words, much of the influence may be subconsciously - you don't realize it though it can at some point pop into the conscious and you then act on it, still without realizing what started it all. There are many studies done and articles written about the psychology of commercials though I haven't read any in quite awhile.

Victoria, I recall reading a comment by Amos Tversky that it was probable that advertisers or marketers are way ahead of economists and even some psychologists on behavioral economics and knowing how to use the behavioral to their advantage. I have not been able to find that comment since reading it in a book or blog about a year ago - do you recall it? It was just an offhand remark by Tversky, maybe only a sentence or two, and it may have been made in the '70s when the value of BE was still much in doubt.

BTW, many years ago, a magazine cartoon showed the Pepsi slogan, "Say Pepsi Please" in huge letters on the wall of a building. A woman walking by, not looking at the sign but obviously having seen it, is thinking to herself, "Say Pepsi please."
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:37 pm

Fallible wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
No doubt true and it may just be a matter of how consciously people are affected and in what way. In other words, much of the influence may be subconsciously - you don't realize it though it can at some point pop into the conscious and you then act on it, still without realizing what started it all. There are many studies done and articles written about the psychology of commercials though I haven't read any in quite awhile.

Victoria, I recall reading a comment by Amos Tversky that it was probable that advertisers or marketers are way ahead of economists and even some psychologists on behavioral economics and knowing how to use the behavioral to their advantage. I have not been able to find that comment since reading it in a book or blog about a year ago - do you recall it? It was just an offhand remark by Tversky, maybe only a sentence or two, and it may have been made in the '70s when the value of BE was still much in doubt.
Hi Fallible,

I don't remember seeing Tversky's comment, but he was definitely right. Advertisers and marketers are driven by profit rather than academic discoveries, and they conduct research differently. They are less motivated by statistical significance or elimination of confounding factors and are more likely to experiment with "packages" of factors that their target audience is likely to experience. If some approach works in general they may tweak it as far as the benefit exceeds the cost. They are also not motivated to publish their results and may want to keep secret the "secret sauce" of their winning approaches.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:02 pm

Pretty much all Netflix and online streaming at this point . Sometimes I watch the nightly news and the commercials are inevitable but I don't generally watch them.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:33 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fallible wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:...
Victoria

Hi Fallible,

I don't remember seeing Tversky's comment, but he was definitely right. Advertisers and marketers are driven by profit rather than academic discoveries, and they conduct research differently. They are less motivated by statistical significance or elimination of confounding factors and are more likely to experiment with "packages" of factors that their target audience is likely to experience. If some approach works in general they may tweak it as far as the benefit exceeds the cost. They are also not motivated to publish their results and may want to keep secret the "secret sauce" of their winning approaches.
Victoria
Right on. The reason I've tried to find so hard to find Tversky's comment is because if I've remembered it correctly, it could also apply to how some financial advisers have learned to turn BE into behavioral finance for their own benefit and not always their clients. In other words, what you have written about advertisers and marketers could also apply to some financial advisers. And it's another reason those clients and all investors need to be knowledgeable about BE and BF, or at least as knowledgeable as their advisers.

To stay OT, I rarely watch commercials but when I do, I look for the gimmicks, the exaggerations, repetitions, imagery, implications, half-truths, buried truths, and other manipulations of the mind. Despite all that, some are well done and fun to watch.

Fallible

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:45 pm

Fallible wrote:The reason I've tried to find so hard to find Tversky's comment is because if I've remembered it correctly, it could also apply to how some financial advisers have learned to turn BE into behavioral finance for their own benefit and not always their clients. In other words, what you have written about advertisers and marketers could also apply to some financial advisers. And it's another reason those clients and all investors need to be knowledgeable about BE and BF, or at least as knowledgeable as their advisers.
Good point. For example, it's easy to use the anchoring effect by showing to a client past returns of different funds and then letting the client "choose" the most adviser-enriching one. An adviser may also play up to the client's over-confidence, especially if it's a male client who came with his wife.

Nowadays, financial advisers use the BE and BF findings to promote their hand-holding services. They claim that while anyone can buy index funds, people need an adviser to protect them from selling at a wrong time.

Victoria

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:36 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fallible wrote:The reason I've tried to find so hard to find Tversky's comment is because if I've remembered it correctly, it could also apply to how some financial advisers have learned to turn BE into behavioral finance for their own benefit and not always their clients. In other words, what you have written about advertisers and marketers could also apply to some financial advisers. And it's another reason those clients and all investors need to be knowledgeable about BE and BF, or at least as knowledgeable as their advisers.
Good point. For example, it's easy to use the anchoring effect by showing to a client past returns of different funds and then letting the client "choose" the most adviser-enriching one. An adviser may also play up to the client's over-confidence, especially if it's a male client who came with his wife.

Nowadays, financial advisers use the BE and BF findings to promote their hand-holding services. They claim that while anyone can buy index funds, people need an adviser to protect them from selling at a wrong time.
Victoria
Good examples, anchoring especially, of the similarities between advertisers/commercials and financial advisers when they aim to dupe unsuspecting viewers/clients. Viewers and clients who understand behaviors such as anchoring and overconfidence are less likely to be their victims.

astrohip

Post by astrohip » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:02 pm

Ron Ronnerson wrote:I DVR everything and skip the commercials too. If a show I like is about to come on, I'll wait a few minutes to begin watching it so I can skip through the commercials.
Absolutely this. There's always something to watch on the TiVo, so there is never a need to watch anything live. But some shows my wife & I like to watch the same night, so we give it a 15-30 minute head start (Justified!).

If during the FF of commercials something catches my eye, I'll stop and watch it.
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:58 pm

I have not had television since 1999. When I have seen commercials from time to time at friends houses or what have you, they are so loud and obnoxious, they really turn me off. Before you ask if I yell at the kids to get off my lawn, I am 37. We do, however, have a LOT of DVDs and we have access to Netflix. I do not think that I would want any sort of entertainment that includes interruptions for advertising. I would rather pay more and not have the ads (such as buying DVDs or subscribing to Netflix).
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

nirvines88

Post by nirvines88 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:40 pm

Netflix on the TV and ad block plus on the computer prevent me from seeing ads for 90% of my viewing experiences.

The other 10% = sports, mainly the NFL or NCAA. For sports I either mute/change the channel or have two TVs going at once so I can watch multiple games. Once my friends and I had 3 TVs set up for 3 different NFL games, and multiple times all 3 games were on commercial break at once...
"Beware of little expenses, a small leak will sink a great ship" - Poor Richard