What 3 MATERIAL things would you take with you?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Chan_va

What 3 MATERIAL things would you take with you?

Post by Chan_va » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:41 am

It's the year 2017. NASA announces that the comet NG3D7 (They didn't have time to come up with a witty name) is on a direct collision course with earth in a year, and it's large enough to wipe us all out. This unites humanity like never before, and we build giant colonies on Mars, along with fleets of spaceships to transport every single person on earth there. All your friends, family and loved ones get to go with you. But since there is only so much space on the ships, everyone is allowed to bring only 3 material things with them apart from the basic necessities. Mankind has announced a totally new financial system based on Saturn belt dust as the unit of currency, so all your Vanguard statements, gold bars and bitcoins are worthless.

Size is not a major concern since Nasa has also mastered miniaturization tech. So anything as large as a car can go with you.

What would your 3 things be? They have to be things you own today or plan to buy in the short term.

Here are my three

1. Aeropress Coffee Maker and supply of good beans - Life is not worth living without good coffee.
2. My Grand Seiko watch as an object of beauty and a reminder of what we are capable of when focused.
3. The latest and greatest smartphone - To reminisce about the old times flipping through photos from my terrestrial life, listening to Led Zepplin, as I gaze at the flaming hulk of Earth from my retirement pod, while slowly getting wasted on my Marstini.

livesoft

Re: What 3 MATERIAL things would you take with you?

Post by livesoft » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:46 am

I would not go.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:52 am

One of my favorite science fiction books I read in childhood was "When Worlds Collide". It, and it's sequel, "After Worlds Collide", cover a scenario similar to what you discussed. They were written in 1933/1934 and have aged pretty well considering how space exploration has since evolved.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:07 am

livesoft wrote:I would not go.
I'd go. What a fantastic adventure. Might as well die on Mars as Earth. For my 3 things I'd take 3 big moving vans packed with everything I could fit into them.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:07 am

Kelly Evans, Whitney Cummings and my iPhone. Or more realistically my pets.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:09 am

kenschmidt wrote:One of my favorite science fiction books I read in childhood was "When Worlds Collide". It, and it's sequel, "After Worlds Collide", cover a scenario similar to what you discussed. They were written in 1933/1934 and have aged pretty well considering how space exploration has since evolved.
I read them both as a teenager in the 50s. I remember the basic stories, but it's been so long ago my memory is pretty sketchy on the details.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:19 am

Writing and sketching materials to record the experience.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Chan_va

Post by Chan_va » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:21 am

cheese_breath wrote:
I'd go. What a fantastic adventure. Might as well die on Mars as Earth. For my 3 things I'd take 3 big moving vans packed with everything I could fit into them.
Nasa's minutarization tech only works on things that can be bought as a whole package. They have to get the design specs from the manufacturer and program that in. So your moving van loophole won't work sorry.

Cmon cheese breath, no shortcuts :)

Ron

Post by Ron » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:24 am

+1

The future is for the young (and young of heart), not for old geezers like me :D ...

- Ron

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:26 am

Funny you say that. A question I often ask people is since we will all die would you like to see the end of the world or not. I must admit a certain curiosity as to what will finally bring out the end of this planet.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:27 am

There was a SF novel by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournele I think where the nerd saved all the "how-to" books for when the world re-booted after a disaster.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer's_Hammer
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:28 am

Fountain of Youth...that's all
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:31 am

cheese_breath wrote:
What are you going to do with 3 tiny, miniaturized moving trucks full of teeny-tiny sofas and teensy-weensy yellow polka dot bikinis?

:D

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

yosh99

Post by yosh99 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:31 am

My fiddle, bow, and rosin.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:33 am

Ron wrote:
+1

The future is for the young (and young of heart), not for old geezers like me :D ...

- Ron
I'd pass too. 2018 impact is the year I would need to sign up for medicare. Saves a lot of investigation work.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:38 am

Chan_va wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
Nasa's minutarization tech only works on things that can be bought as a whole package. They have to get the design specs from the manufacturer and program that in. So your moving van loophole won't work sorry.

OK, how about an Uzi and two cases of ammunition? That way I could have your coffee maker, Seiko, and whatever else I wanted when I got there.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:43 am

ResearchMed wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
What are you going to do with 3 tiny, miniaturized moving trucks full of teeny-tiny sofas and teensy-weensy yellow polka dot bikinis?

:D

RM
Same thing someone with a miniaturized car would do. :D I thought if NASA was going to miniaturize everything they'd have some way of restoring it to normal size. But then, NASA is a government agency so ???

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:44 am

I would make the choice as part of a collective deliberation, with a few thousand people similar to me in terms of ideology, methodology and values. We would find each other through facebook and twitter. If a group comes together along these lines comprising 5,000 people, then we get 15,000 items, and instead of thousands of coffee makers and photo albums we can do some pretty cool things. You could put all of the internet in something the size of a large car I believe. One of the 15,000 objects should be the whole internet. The global seed vault in Svalbard could probably fit into a few car-sized objects (the seeds themselves probably just need one car-equivalent, but you probably need a lot of space for climate-control so count on a few to get all the seeds to Mars). I presume we'd spend some time thinking about the objects that would take the longest to build from scratch on Mars, and then plot that time against usefulness, and assign the long-time-to-build, high-value objects to people. Maybe some of those micro nuclear power plants; some high-power telescopes to watch the big collision on Earth; a bunch of high-power computers; the ingredients to build a rapid, extensive surveillance network (my guess is our group is going to want to achieve security and stability through surveillance more than brute force); drugs that will take a long time to start manufacturing from scratch but provide very high value; you could probably apportion the most potent cultural artifacts in maybe 5,000 car-size containers, though hopefully my personal community won't have to do all that by itself. Surely others will mobilize to bring the Rosetta stone, the original Declaration of Independence, some terracotta warriors, King Tut, etc.

We'd want lots of those real-time translation devices to cope with the suddenly overwhelming difficulty we will have talking to each other.

My guess is that within 2 months there'd be a robust online mechanism for working this stuff out.

But your scenario requires the existence of magic to get everyone to Mars, so perhaps I'd just click my heels and say "everyone bring the most important stuff and make sure we all have access to it" and then I don't have to go to any trouble.

chaz

Post by chaz » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:47 am

DW and our 2 daughters.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:49 am

Chan_va wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:

I believe there are stores* that sell a shipping container filled with furnishings, linens, china etc. for a three bedroom house. These are designed for people doing a few years overseas. You'd get the container drop shipped to Nairobi or where ever. Is this still cheating?

If that's cheating I'll just take the "Sovereign of the Seas". That should have at least one of everything.

*Habitat, a UK furniture store, certainly used to do this. My google-foo isn't up to finding current examples.
Last edited by Epsilon Delta on Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chan_va

Post by Chan_va » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:49 am

chaz wrote:DW and our 2 daughters.
That is a given. Everyone gets to go. The question is more about the everyday small things that you value after family, friends etc.

Chan_va

Post by Chan_va » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 am

Aptenodytes wrote:I would make the choice as part of a collective deliberation, with a few thousand people similar to me in terms of ideology, methodology and values. We would find each other through facebook and twitter. If a group comes together along these lines comprising 5,000 people, then we get 15,000 items, and instead of thousands of coffee makers and photo albums we can do some pretty cool things. You could put all of the internet in something the size of a large car I believe. One of the 15,000 objects should be the whole internet. The global seed vault in Svalbard could probably fit into a few car-sized objects (the seeds themselves probably just need one car-equivalent, but you probably need a lot of space for climate-control so count on a few to get all the seeds to Mars). I presume we'd spend some time thinking about the objects that would take the longest to build from scratch on Mars, and then plot that time against usefulness, and assign the long-time-to-build, high-value objects to people. Maybe some of those micro nuclear power plants; some high-power telescopes to watch the big collision on Earth; a bunch of high-power computers; the ingredients to build a rapid, extensive surveillance network (my guess is our group is going to want to achieve security and stability through surveillance more than brute force); drugs that will take a long time to start manufacturing from scratch but provide very high value; you could probably apportion the most potent cultural artifacts in maybe 5,000 car-size containers, though hopefully my personal community won't have to do all that by itself. Surely others will mobilize to bring the Rosetta stone, the original Declaration of Independence, some terracotta warriors, King Tut, etc.

We'd want lots of those real-time translation devices to cope with the suddenly overwhelming difficulty we will have talking to each other.

My guess is that within 2 months there'd be a robust online mechanism for working this stuff out.

But your scenario requires the existence of magic to get everyone to Mars, so perhaps I'd just click my heels and say "everyone bring the most important stuff and make sure we all have access to it" and then I don't have to go to any trouble.
Interesting take. In my scenario the Internet, global seed vault, cultural icons,etc. would be counted as a shared heritage and nasa takes care of that. Your 3 things are potentially of value only to you.

chaz

Post by chaz » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:54 am

Chan_va wrote:
chaz wrote:DW and our 2 daughters.
That is a given. Everyone gets to go. The question is more about the everyday small things that you value after family, friends etc.
The only small thing would be my iPad.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:54 am

phaser and tri-corder

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:57 am

Dutch wrote:phaser and tri-corder
Your phaser beats my Uzi. :D

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:01 pm

Chan_va wrote: Interesting take. In my scenario the Internet, global seed vault, cultural icons,etc. would be counted as a shared heritage and nasa takes care of that. Your 3 things are potentially of value only to you.
My hypothesize community would not trust NASA to do everything so we'd do our own evaluation of what was needed and take it. Whatever NASA takes, we don't, but there's going to be something on our list not on NASA's. Unless you get NASA to do it all correctly via the existence of magic assumption, in which again I'd just have to click my heels and say "bring whatever will end up making me most happy" and let magic figure it out.

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:07 pm

My guitar (with unlimited strings)
My Kindle (loaded with 2000-4000 books)
My favorite, comfy chair

With the above, I'm set. And, you might have a gun, but can you take my skills to make the guitar sing?

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:18 pm

Escape pod, back-up escape pod, back-up back-up escape pod.

Edited to add:. Don't own any escape pods yet but plan to in the near future.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

rob

Post by rob » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Personal items you say....

* NAS box with copies of everything
* Camera & some lenses
* MP3 player
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:04 pm

A leaf, some sand, some grass. I would imagine one would not get to experience touching a leaf, walking on grass, or walking on sand again. This thread makes me love Earth even more then I do already!!

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:53 pm

livesoft wrote:There was a SF novel by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournele I think where the nerd saved all the "how-to" books for when the world re-booted after a disaster.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer's_Hammer
Long before that, a stock idea was to preserve a copy of the Encyclopaedia Britannica on the assumption that it was, to a good first approximation, "the sum of human knowledge."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Deep Thoughts

Post by Deep Thoughts » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:20 pm

Three 5 thousand dollar watches.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:06 pm

Deep Thoughts wrote:Three 5 thousand dollar watches.
or a Zegna suit and two watches.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

mhc

Post by mhc » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:58 pm

yosh99 wrote:My fiddle, bow, and rosin.
Just in case you meet the devil there and get in a duel with him?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:10 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.